What's a good Linux Distro for a new comer to Linux?

What's a good Linux Distro for a new comer to Linux?
I am thinking of Ubuntu.
>INB4Gentoo.

gen2. but if you're a pussy then try debian or something.

Mint or Ubuntu for linucks noobs. once you've gotten the feel of those after trying different DE's try out fedora, debian, arch and gentoo in that order

install slackware

>Mint or Ubuntu
I wouldn't either bother with these desu. Starting with debian is a much better idea.

Linux Mint 100%

install gentoo

OpenSUSE or Ubuntu standard Xubuntu is a separate project and its a ball of shit.

How insane would I be to just jump into Arch for the first non-windows OS? Would I be OK as long as I took the time to read all the things?

Mint makes it easy enough to get settled into the bare basics without feeling overwhelmed.

Switch distros when you come across an issue that can't be easily solved (or solved at all) within the one you're using now. A lot of people start distro hopping and never feel satisfied because they convince themselves that there's some perfect distribution out there that they haven't tried yet, when in reality the thirty they left behind could've worked fine for them.

not worth using that bloated piece of shit in $CURRENTYEAR

elementaryOS. I find pantheon easier to use compared to gnome from the point of a new Linux user, plus eOS is based on ubuntu LTS so you'll get access to Ubuntu repos.
Also elementaryOS's devs have their "curated apps" which are programs that follow eOS design guides and have a program of "pay what you want" so you can send money directly to the devs of said apps.
The only complain I have is that the devs disabled installation of ppa by default, but you can easily enable it again.

>bloated
this seems to be in direct contradiction with what I've read on the sticky wiki. mind elaborating? educate me

You can try antergos or manjaro, both are basically what Ubuntu is for debian but in arch

Ubuntu easily.
Unless you have special needs I don't see why you would ever bother with something other than Ubuntu.

arch has been increasingly more bloated since 2008 and onwards. lots of posts from 2009-2012 immediately pop up if your search for it showing the performance decreases over newer releases

ty for the elaboration

Ubuntu is the most used distro, so if you have any trouble will be easier to you to solve it. I recommend Ubuntu 16.04 because 17 and 18 still have some troubles and the official documentation in Ubuntu help isn't finished yet in those versions.

I'd say try Solus, it's got okay gayming support, just werkz and it was built for desktop use so it's pretty noob-friendly.

Most, actually.

Mint, Fedora, Sabayon, Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, ...
as long as it isn't one with a tiny package repository it's probably fine.

Even Gentoo or Arch would be fine - the only difference is a bit more reading / hands-on work. They don't require you to be an expert, they only require you to read instructions.

That's what I did. Took me some more time, but I learned a few nice things. I started off as dual boot then completely wiped my old laptop. Gentoo seemed too time consuming, but it's worth a shot for learning. Also consider Linux From Scratch if you want to learn more about it.

Nowadays, I can't be bothered by the long install process, even if it takes under an hour, for switching a Distro. So Debian or Fedora is my goto.

> if you have any trouble will be easier to you to solve it
This isn't entirely true in my experience.

There are a lot of people willing to help, but they're also far more often some well-meaning but ultimately not particularly well-informed suggestions.

It's often far more direct to deal with what suggestions the Gentoo or Arch users or RHEL support suggests than the Ubuntu users... even if of course someone among the Ubuntu users might also have more direct suggestions the majority is mostly about "have you tried reinstalling the package?" no matter what.

Ubuntu -> (distro-hopping) -> Ubuntu

Also Win fags have the objectively correct pov in the pic. I'm a Linux fag but my laptop doesn't have the luminosity of the Sun.

If you've tinker with your system then yes. If you only played videogames then better no.

Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS

this one?

>I am thinking of Ubuntu.
You are thinking right.

mint is shit just get ubuntu, or manjaro if you're too hipster for ubuntu

if you find your epeen is unsatisfied by noob distros, then you can consider distro hopping, otherwise its pretty pointless because you can do almost anything a normal person needs to on any distro. That or you vehemently insist on some super lightweight install where you've hand chosen every package you want to install

ubuntu but replace the desktop environment, unity/gnome is shit

Thanks for the recommendations guys.

Not OP but any opinions on Void?

Noops need wireless to work right away and debian is shit for that.

Xubuntu

This is what I did to learn linux, but don't do it on your main pc unless you like living with features missing until you carefully read the arch wiki to learn how to fix each individual problem. It's educational but will feel like a sheer cliff for probably months of casual use

Whoops... forgot to comment
Try fedora

runit is pretty shit. xbps is okay enough but not particularly great at this point.

The plan is to dual-boot with my old windows 7 shit on a different drive as a fallback. Linux is directly for the learning experience

Trash Distro, No reason to use this crashes and freezes galore.

>Recommending Outdated Ubuntu the distro

Install Ubuntu. Get adjusted to ubuntu, learn some linux shit. Get I3 on ubuntu. Remove unity if you like I3.
Love life.

Wall pls...

But what’s the best distro?

>Arch
wretch. If you want to dive right in with a more involved distro then look to the others. Arch is a mess, it's bloated and in no way minimal.

Real options: Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Ubuntu MATE, Linux Mint, Linux Lite.
My recommended options: PCLinuxOS, Devuan.
You get trolled: Gentoo, Arch, Slackware, Fedora.

Just go to distrowatch or look for a video on youtube and decide for yourself.

I did this. You'll be fine if you can read. I'd suggest playing around in a VM or old laptop before installing on you primary system.

Get fucked.

NixOS

It's hard to mess things up

Fedora is not bad for a new user. Slackware is possible too.

Arch linux is great for a second distro, and gentoo only once you've been using linux for at least 2 years

Maybe, but you get too many dropouts thanks to those.

Fedora is a pain when you need an updated package

Do new users need updated packages? I would have thought they'd just need stable ones

I did, ended up trying out nixOS after not being able to get a later version of elixir.

The default config is KDE and the manual is rather simple so didn't take long to have everything I wanted.

Am a newcomer myself, just installed debian a couple of days ago.
Having a lot of fun so far, managed to fix all the things I inadvertently broke

i use that same wallpaper lol

Arch is a shit meme, avoid it.

VOID, nothing makes sense but your part of secret club.

>currently using VOID on live disk
>somehow it understands wifi chip but cant do ethernet
>brightness keys dont work

Thetrs more to it. Arch is fucking bloat. Such a fraud distro. Not minimal or simple at all as they say it to be.

>Manjaro

it just werks

Use this op, then switch to debian afterwards once you get the hang of gnu/linux

just be a good goy and use ubuntu

To anyone that has used Void and Gentoo/Funtoo, how do they compare? I'm a Funtoo user but have been considering trying Void.

why not start with ubuntu or mint and stay in the debian family then?

im very goy and i use ubuntu i used to use slackware but i got tired of looking for deps to every thing i wanted to install on it

>stay in the debian family then?
Retarded distro forks. Fuck no. Either debian or GTFO

After trying Arch, I'd say go with a preconfigured Arch install like Antergos. There's just way too much fiddling to make the base Arch comfy.

what environments does Sup Forums recommend?

From one noob to another, definitely xubuntu.

xfce on ubuntu aka xubuntu

Debian. Pure and simple debian. Has alot of packages, apt is great, fast and easy to use. You'll be able to choose your DE and all will be well. In addition, debian is suitable for many situations, meaning you might never need to hop over to another distro.

dwm or i3 , everything else is bloat and utter shit. Try them

Arch was my first after using Ubuntu foe a day and accidentally uninstall in the desktop
I've been knee deep in arch madness ever since. Going on 12 years now

Debian is severely underrated. Take that from a fag whose first distro was manjaro.

Speaking as someone who's still a Linux babby, Debian really is great. I've got it running on an x131e with xfce and xfwm.

You are young one. It's called GNU/Linux. Use the proper term next time.

>implying my laptop's hostname isn't GANOO-Loonix

Refracta

THEY NEVER SAID IT'S MINIMAL HOLY SHIT

try ubuntu for few weeks, then arch

Refracta is as minimal as you want it...

Here ya go!

*GNU/Linux. GNU is the operating system, Linux is one of its kernels.