It takes light traveling from Earth approximately 3 minutes to reach Mars

It takes light traveling from Earth approximately 3 minutes to reach Mars.
Let's assume that on Mars we have an incredible powerful telescope that can zoom in on Earth so close that you can see yourself wave.
This means that if there was someone looking through that telescope on Mars, they are looking 3 minutes into the past.
Let's now assume that there is a way to connect through some instantaneous manner from a PC on Earth, to the telescope on Mars without the 3 minute delay.
That means we are now able to see in real time something that happened 3 minutes ago, essentially looking into the past.
Now applying this principle, we are to move the telescope on another planet or asteroid whereas the difference in light travel is not 3 minutes, but 100 years.
Assuming that again, we are able to connect to the telescope instantaneously without any delay, the telescope being able to zoom again so close you can see the facial detail, and it's now receiving light from 100 years ago, do we now have a time machine that lets us look into the past?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ansible
youtu.be/vOs_bPKmAQo
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-communication_theorem
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delay_line_memory
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

yeah

but the universe avoids these kinds of temporal paradoxes by not letting you transmit information faster than the speed of light

Nope.

On Mars you have a 3 minute delay.
Sending that back to Earth gives you another 3 minute delay, a 6 minute delay in total.

Removing the 3 minute delay from sending it to Earth, just makes you on Earth see it 3 minutes ago just like the guy on Mars would.

and? who gives a fuck about 3 minutes ago u retard, u were already there to experience it

future is the only thing that matters

KYS

Tf did I read

Nothing travels faster than light so your instantaneous data transfer wouldn't work

There's no paradox here. Even if we transmitted it faster than the speed of light.
See There are however other paradoxes if we could do that. Totally unrelated to OPs post.

som1 didn reed

Go back to r*ddit you faggot space-fedora, shove that neil degrasse tyson book up your anus too

Why was this thread 404'ing for several minutes?

Didn't think that was possible...

>som1 didn reed
No, som1 is just retarded.
There's no paradox.

There's no need for faster than light data transfers, you could already see into the past if it just transfered the data at the speed of light.
A asteroid 100 light years away looking at Earth and transmitting data back to Earth, you would still see how Earth was 200 years ago once the data arrives here.

Not that a telescope of that magnitude would be possible.

thats this one

Wow. You just invented photographic proof of the past.
You know, like movies from the 1910's already do.

You just need one of these.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ansible

ok
get this
how about you take a video recorder and stream everything with a 1 year delay

DID I JUST PAST?

How about this, dumb-FUCK op?

Plug in a gopro and then come back to look at it after 1 year

>did I just look into the past?

DURRR HURRRR

>BUT NO PARADOX N SHITZZZZ BRO...
Fucking kek m8. OP is a fucking dumbass.

>light takes time to bounce off objects and into my eyes
>I'm actually seeing a slightly delayed picture
>my eyes are time machines
WTF

>Assuming that again, we are able to connect to the telescope instantaneously without any delay, the telescope being able to zoom again so close you can see the facial detail, and it's now receiving light from 100 years ago, do we now have a time machine that lets us look into the past?
how about you make it 50 light years away
now you don't need a way to instantaneously transmit data from there, you will still see how earth was 100 years ago

this might have been mind-blowing 200 years ago, but time-delayed imagery has been commonplace since the photograph

you can already see earth from 100 years ago on youtube dumbass

All that data recorded from satellites are saved in the NSA archives, no need for Mars

Okay, but why was it in the catalog for that long?

It even kept moving down the page with refreshes

It's still there.
I accidentally closed the tab before it finished updating the index and it got corrupted, it's something that happens with Sup Forums-x for some reason.

>Let's now assume that there is a way to connect through some instantaneous manner from a PC on Earth, to the telescope on Mars without the 3 minute delay.

error

Sounds to me like you are basically describing how we look at the universe currently.

provided instant communication was possible, this should be possible.

but you can use your phone, record something and essentially look into past right now lol

>travel 60 light years from earth instantly
>watch glorious Nazi empire through your telescope

T.redneck

shut up nigger the only people who tell people to go bacl to reddit are redditors. op harndesed his autism and made a good post

Yea, but the point of my OP was to say that using this principle, we could watch things 1000 or even a 1000,000 years ago.

>call up my friend in belgium
>he is one hour ahead of me
>i am now talking to someone from the future

>we could watch things 1000 or even a 1000,000 years ago
doubt it, the further the light travels, the less information it carries.. at some point probably all information is lost

You cant transport the telescope there faster than light, so ideally you would be looking at yourself sending the telescope into space

but that means you can only see data since when the telescope was set up. in OP's hypothetical he's trying to see into the telescope's past.

>having friends
>especially in belgium

>Hey dude, the President of Mars just got JFK'd! Get to your telescope ASAP!
>rush over to telescope
>it's already over
>you forgot to account for the time delay it took for the news to reach your computer

he's a mud, you can see this on his low comprehension level

Problem is that it would be impossible to resolve details that far away.

What you see as a person when you look at them through a telescope or lens is the scattering of photons off them that enter your lens.
The tiny deviations in the photons don't make a difference over short distances but they do as time adds up, that's part of the reason why you need bigger mirrors to resolve greater distances.
There's probably a calculation for it but I wouldn't be surprised if to resolve detail on the surface of Earth from the distances you are talking about you would need a mirror a thousandth the size of the distance, which is ridiculously huge (1km mirror for something 1,000km away to be able to identify a person).

Even if I am off by two orders of magnitude, the engineering to resolve that detail just from Earth's orbit is barely within our grasp.

The engineer is all hypothetical.
The next step, is since we know that black holes slow down time, we can then apply the same principle.
If you had the ability to condense space with enough force, and place a mirror object to it, you created a device that can let you view into the past, the bigger the density, the future into the past you can go.

>Let's now assume that there is a way to connect through some instantaneous manner from a PC on Earth, to the telescope on Mars without the 3 minute delay.

c is the speed of causation. There is no 'instantaneous'.

Do you not learn the basics of relativity at highschool in burgerstan?

Of course, but only as far back as the object has been existing.

Like, a black hole that you spawn right now won't have light in it from further back than the light that was around it at the time it spawned.

So it's only useful for people in the future to see our present.

>He isn't capable of hypothetical thinking for fun and joy of technology and science

youtu.be/vOs_bPKmAQo

There's a difference between hypothetical thinking and something that ultimately boils down to pseudoscientiffic nonsense. I won't rule out the possibility that there might one day be some way of FTL communication and/or travel, but as of now, there's not. Nor do we have any reason to believe it is possible (unless you're one of those theoreticians who enjoy the smell of their own farts).

t. Physicist.

No, it's 21 minutes you fucking brainlet

>do we now have a time machine that lets us look into the past?
Well, yes, but being able to look into the past isn't exactly a novel phenomenon. If you record the entire planet with a camera right now, you can also look at the tapes in 100 years, and it will be a "time machine".

As to whether you can look at 1917 by building a telescope on a planet 100 light-years away, no, you can't. It would take you (more than) 100 years to get there, so by the time you've placed the telescope on the planet, you can only look at 2017 (or later).

Jesus fucking christ, and I thought the "saucer separation" from TNG was stupid.

In your hair-brained example that literally defies the laws of physics, yes.

Unfortunately, events do not occur instantly in this universe, as far as we can tell. And we can tell.

>local anonymous rick and morty fan finds a way to break causality and disproves Einstein
It's almost as if you're trying to be retarded. Shitpost on next time, please

You connect a solid stick between mars and earth. If you move it slightly the whole thing moves because its solid. Move up for 1 down for 0, instant data transfer. Now point the telescope.
Takes a massive amount of energy to move the stick but weve always known fucking with time would

or, get this, you could make it zero meters away, record it and then you can into the past whenever you want

proof of concept

motions only move through objects at the speed of sound. Your device would have a far larger delay than radio. Sorry, it sounds like a great way to cheat the system, but the system already thought of that.

There is no stick rigid enough to do this. The stick would compress very slightly when moved and expand again afterwards.

Good thread.

its made from adamantium

>the future into the past you can go
Woah

>That means we are now able to see in real time something that happened 3 minutes ago, essentially looking into the past.
Ypu would be looking the present on live, like watching something via TV but without the delay, it's the fucking same.
It's the present, fuck you.

> Let's now assume that there is a way to connect through some instantaneous manner from a PC on Earth
And this is exactly what is not possible, for all we know right now.

You cannot make data or information move faster than the speed of light, either.

But indeed, if what you described was possible, sure, that would mean information moves back in time.
Actually, just send the information back again. It'll also have to AGAIN be 100 years earlier when it arrives back at the place it was sent from, right?

Zooming in doesn't suddenly let you bypass the distance between Earth and Mars. The light still has to travel that distance and there will still be a delay.

Fucking idiots. Instant transmission exists. It is called quantum entanglement. It is one of the basic mechanisms of current quantum computers.

>quantum computah memes
every single time

the original pasta features a giant mirror and telescope in some very distant location such that we could see meaningful events in our history like the shooting of JFK or some other shit.

at least thats how i've always heard it. most people ignore the fact that by the time we reached a point out in space that we could see the history of earth, the light would have already traveled much further out. We'd have to travel faster than light and much faster to reach a point in space where we can 'beat' the light to it's destination and also reflect the images back.

all of which is ultimately fucking retarded when applying it to reality because something that happened 300 years ago would take 300 years to be reflected back to earth to be seen. so unless you plan to live for however long it takes to see something, i guess it could THEORETICALLY work, assuming we could just build a giant space mirror that wouldn't be totally obliterated with its first impact to an asteroid

Have you ever used one, brainet? I have.

Keep commenting on smartphones or some shit like that

>If you move it slightly the whole thing moves because its solid.
No, even the stick internal movement can't break the speed of light regardless of what you do.

You can make it all one perfect chain of molecules and tap that, they still won't transmit that tap any faster than the speed of light, ever.

>It is called quantum entanglement.
Quantum mechanics are tricky, but no. Your problem is something called the no-communications theorem.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-communication_theorem
> within the context of quantum mechanics, it is not possible to transmit classical bits of information by means of carefully prepared mixed or pure states, whether entangled or not. The theorem disallows all communication, not just faster-than-light communication, by means of shared quantum states

Funny thing, we can actually only make qbits do anything by supplying additional information by classical means.

If I make a wooden stick long enough that connects earth to mars, can I poke martians faster than light?

no but you can poke your mom

You'll still experience the delay because the light the image is made up of still has to travel through this "telescope."

If you skip the person and the instant sci-fi communication, you could just send a mirror to space and look at your distant reflection off it. If you send the mirror one light year away, your reflection will be two years in the past.
The problem is that you'll never be able to see anything before the moment you sent the mirror out in the first place. If you send the mirror 100 light years away at the speed of light, it'll take 100 years for it to stop to bounce the launch's light, and it'll take an other 100 years for the light to come back to you, meaning you'll see 200 years into the past, but never before the launch.
The Martian thing would be the same, except half the time and the same initial starting point you'll never be informed of before.

Might as well just set up a camera to film you and display it on a screen with a few years' buffer.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delay_line_memory

Why do you specify getting closer and closer to the persons face?

But you have to wait 100 years for the light to hit the sensor befor you can instantly send it back to eath.

Now I really got the idea behind OP and it is actually not that bad. Not possible for many reasons but I like the idea.

>this kills relativity

>guy discovers ping
wow

if you want to look into the past so badly try turning on your tv and watching an old documentary