/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>How to delid your CPU:
youtube.com/watch?v=2eFzNpTOaOw

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>G4560/G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Consider Vega 56 for a Freesync monitor
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/ZyQhRG
pcpartpicker.com/list/WRkRLDhttps://pcpartpicker.com/list/4dDfJV
pcpartpicker.com/list/p9cVsJ
pcpartpicker.com/list/YBLqxY
siliconlottery.com/pages/intel-coffee-lake
ebay.co.uk/itm/Fujitsu-ESPRIMO-P2560-Desktop-PC-063/162729723426?epid=129643085&hash=item25e3728622:g:a38AAOSwr6pZ9gZh
ebay.co.uk/itm/LOGIK-L39FE12-39-inch-LED-Monitor-HD-1080p-HDMI-USB-PC-inputs-Remote-Stand/302535481908?hash=item4670851a34:g:qNwAAOSwSzxZyAPc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>How to delid your CPU
Nice

Is it a sign of autism if I get a little mad seeing all those full tower atx builds posted about the net that never make use of the extra pci-e and ram slots?

Stop browsing r/pcmasterrace

There's only so much the average person will do with a PCI-e slot.
>Video card
>Wireless networking
>???
RAM slots are usually left open so you can upgrade

none of the gtx10x0 cards support x3 and x4 SLI so there isn't a point for using the pci-e slots aside from sound cards or an SSD.

What's a good mid tower case that isn't too pricey but provides great airflow?

Sound cards are less convenient than DACs, and if you want NVMe speeds you can go for an M.2 drive anyway.

no one cares

Check Phanteks' cases.

Capture card

Quite a few people care, actually.

>sound cards are less convenient than DACs

False. My sound card has a couple of optical inputs which I use to connect multiple devices to my pc so I can listen to them through my pc headphones whilst also getting sound from my pc e.g. voice chat, music or both whilst also hearing the audio from my other devices like a games console.

It's not a sign of autism. i personally wish there were more mATX cases that had 4 RAM slots but only one x16 pci-e slot for a solid graphics card, with plenty of room for a custom loop and hard drives for that very reason

Reposting because old thread just reached bump limit.

I'm buying parts for this build
pcpartpicker.com/list/ZyQhRG
but have a few last minute questions.

Should I jump from a 650w PSU to a 750w? I remember reading somewhere that it's best to keep your system's wattage closer to 50% of your PSU's maximum output.

Does it seem like it'd be worth waiting a couple of weeks to see if prices on the monitor/cpu/mobo drop or should I just buy them now?

And this isn't an immediate concern, but how should I go about transferring configs/game saves/etc from my old comptuer's hard drive? I plan on leaving my old computer intact because my parent's could use it once I clean out the HDD.

Pic is my current computer for shits and giggles.

even a 650w PSU is overkill for that build. you could ride a 550w gold+ and be fine.

>remember reading somewhere that it's best to keep your system's wattage closer to 50% of your PSU's maximum output.
For maximum efficiency. But you will need years to make back the difference in cost unless you are running it 24/7

Sweet, thanks, I'll stick with the 650 and save $15.

Is the NH-D15S really as good as pcbg says? I mean, it really is a fucking elephant of a cooler.

Will a cheaper Noctua always give me higher temps on an 8600k?

>will a smaller cooler have less performance than a larger cooler
>will less mass be able to hold and dissipate less heat than more mass

i don't like the milky brown colors of noctua fans. no LEDs also sucks -_-

Pic related is the only PC Case you will ever need.

>Will a smaller cpu cooler be less effective
Think about what you said. And yes, noctua coolers are great.

Stop being a faggot

yes it is a very effective way to keep your CPU cool, it works just as well as a 280mm AIO (under load) but it is massive too. great for i7s or a 1700x, an 8600k wouldn't need that sort of capacity

>Jesus, I thought pcbg loved MSI's GPUs.
Well on a related note

>2011 msi gaming notebook: cpu boost not working, hyperthreading not working properly, audio buzzing, USB 3.0 not working, died completely 2015
>2013 msi Z87 mobo: bios issues, installing an OS is a process of restarting and retrying again and again until it works
>2013 msi GTX 770: died after nearly two years
>2013 msi Z87 mobo: one dead ram slot after a year, still works very fine though
>2013 msi GTX 770: works
>2014 msi Z97M: audio output issues, USB connectivity issues
>2014 msi GTX 770: DVI slot has a lot of disturbance when using a VGA converter, doesn't always work when booting up pc (could be mobo related though)
>2016 msi gaming notebook: wifi dead, rma, wlan dead, rma, speakers and connected headphones buzz uncontrollably when a microphone is plugged in, rma

I was the most salty about the last one since that was a purchase advice from me and it gave that person a lot of headaches.

Cheapest non-shit noise cancelling mid tower case which can fit a big cooler like a dark rock pro3?
Current corsair case has absolutely zero padding and has holes at the top which cause my pc to sound like a jet engine when I'm playing any demanding game.

Who in their right mind would want something like that right beside them while they're browsing the internet?

i don't like the milky brown colors of noctua fans. no LEDs also sucks -_-i don't like the milky brown colors of noctua fans. no LEDs also sucks -_-i don't like the milky brown colors of noctua fans. no LEDs also sucks -_-i don't like the milky brown colors of noctua fans. no LEDs also sucks -_-i don't like the milky brown colors of noctua fans. no LEDs also sucks -_-i don't like the milky brown colors of noctua fans. no LEDs also sucks -_-i don't like the milky brown colors of noctua fans. no LEDs also sucks -_-i don't like the milky brown colors of noctua fans. no LEDs also sucks -_-i don't like the milky brown colors of noctua fans. no LEDs also sucks -_-

How will MSIfags recover from this?

Faggots, user.

pcpartpicker.com/list/WRkRLDhttps://pcpartpicker.com/list/4dDfJV

I don't play that many games and don't care that much about graphics. I have no plan on overclocking my cpu, but will buy a cpu cooler in the future. Also, I'm not too sure about the cases. Any thoughts?

Didn't meant to quote

Does anybody have experience with Thermaltake and their build quality (cases in particular)? I've read some negative reviews and I would like to know if that's a general truth or not.

Thermaltake are trash.

pcpartpicker.com/list/p9cVsJ I also have this option, though the GPU seems hard to find.

>MSI

if i were you i'd go with an intel chip that had integrated graphics (and stronger cores) then add on a graphics card if you feel the urge

pcpartpicker.com/list/YBLqxY

>locked i3
>z370

:DDDD

>he doesn't know z370 is the only CL board available

:DDDDD

moron

My point exactly :DDD

The 8400 being locked means that it has slightly weaker cores than an overclocked 1200.

I actually did it boys, bought an i7 8700k with a STRIX GTX 1080 TI

I'm still anxious on buying a motherboard though. Any recommendations?

whatever. anyways the integrated graphics are worth it alone

what's your problem?

Definitely get an Asus Maximus X series.

Do you have any wxperience with them or at least some sort of article/video that can helo me form an idea?

Well it turns out the monitor I ordered with my new PC is DOA. Not the world thing to be dead desu, at least it wasn't the ram or something.

Anyway, how should I go about getting it replaced with a working monitor. Should I contact Amazon(ordered from)? Or should I contact the manufacturer?

This is what you get for buying a 1080p monitor

Amazon

MSI Tomahawk? Don't MSI motherboards have shit VRM?

>CPU stronger than the GPU

Amazon.
And I bet you posted that to r/pcmasterrace

Will we ever get a better air cooler? It's been 3 years already...

is 30c too hot for my computer to be when I'm just browsing the internet and not playing games?

a cute
A CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want an IPS and unless I win the lottery I can't afford one above 60Hz. That said, a 1440p monitor would be nice, but at that resolution, the benchmarks I've seen show the 1070 dipping below 60fps at Ultra settings. To much dipping for me to be comfortable.

More than anything I want consistency. And at 1080p with a 1070 that's guaranteed, and then some.

Also, I have a small desk so 23" is comfortable and 1080p is plenty adequate at that size.

Frankly you can buy an all in one for the price of one of these.

No.

>1080p
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match

why only 1080p? an OC 1070 matches a 1070 ti and that's good enough for 1440p so why isn't the 1070? i want to get a 1440p monitor for my 1070 and now i have my doubts

>I bet you posted that to r/pcmasterrace

I would have, if it wasn't for everyone and their mother doing the exact same thing.

That's my laptops temps while browsing here.

Not bad I think. Fan is barely humming.

By the 1080p 100+ fps standard you can assume it would hit 1440p 60ish, 40+

Noctua has probably hit a wall where it's hard to improve on their design while still remaining quiet and fitting in at least some cases
No, that's fine.
Ultra is bullshit and even then it's only some games
You wasted $200 on CPU and $200 on your card
It is listed in 1440p you retard
>1440p
/Ti

one of my friends has a 1070 with one of those fancy g sync 1440p 144hz monitors and he gets around the 80s even in shit optimized games like pubg at high settings. he can get like 120 fps in bf1 too.

+ 10 to 15 degrees Celsius above ambient is okay. So what is your ambient?

>Asus Maximus X
I'm an ASUS product guy but i've been looking at some of their products Z370-E Motherboard and Prime 370, but a lot of them have negative reviews on Newegg and Amazon due to shitty customer service and returns.

Should i be concerned? I mean the Wifi is a bonus too

>an 8600k wouldn't need that sort of capacity
I thought it all depends on how much you're overclocking? If you're going up to 4.8GHz, wouldn't you kind of need it on an 8600k?

All of the low-mid range motherboards can be hit/miss no matter which manufacturer is behind it.
The Z370-E is a better bet than the cheaper ones, but like the reviews suggest, there's always a risk.

If you want the absolute best overclocking performance, I'd recommend one on this list:

siliconlottery.com/pages/intel-coffee-lake

Why don't you have a steampunk case?

>Budget
100€
>Uses
Casual stuff like browsing, 1080p video streaming, run desktop apps.

Thanks

ebay.co.uk/itm/Fujitsu-ESPRIMO-P2560-Desktop-PC-063/162729723426?epid=129643085&hash=item25e3728622:g:a38AAOSwr6pZ9gZh

ebay.co.uk/itm/LOGIK-L39FE12-39-inch-LED-Monitor-HD-1080p-HDMI-USB-PC-inputs-Remote-Stand/302535481908?hash=item4670851a34:g:qNwAAOSwSzxZyAPc

Does he play valve games?

Can I keep my monitor boxed for a few weeks without damage? I want to order it now but can't use it yet for maybe a month

I just assembled my computer and monitor. Played Dead By Daylight a bit but even on low graphics settings I'm lagging on the skill checks.

Here's my specs:

R5 1600
16gb ram ddr4 3000 mhz

monitor is set to 120hz and is 1080p with g-sync

what do you think is making it slow/lag? Did I fall for the Ryzen meme?or is the 1060 not enough.

do you have ryzen balanced power plan yet?

Not yet I'll get it

Can someone help me come up with a PC build for Blender and ZBrush capable of rendering fairly complex short animations?
My budget is around 1000$ but I can go a pretty good bit above that if I have to.

No idea about 3d rendering but why don't you use a render farm or something like that? I do the same for training neural networks

Get an 8700k or wait for Ice Lake.

>feel like I did a good job over black friday weekend making a budget build
>got all the parts except the graphcis card for under $1000
>tfw graphics card prices make a good deal build into about what I was planning to spend

Is the Noctua NH-D15 not compatible with z370/8th gen?

PCpartpicker has the NH-D15S listed as their best compatible cooler, even though it says the NH-D15 is LGA1151 compatible. Can anyone explain this?

smallest case that can accommodate 6 HDDs and at least 2 SSDs?

also buy wait for ryzen build now or wait for ryzen+?

Stop trusting some reddit website and go off of your own knowledge you shitter

Go ahead, but be sure to check that it works the day it arrives, then put it away till you're ready.

I'm in the process of replaced a DOA monitor.

>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
What's wrong with these CPUs?

I'm certainly more inclined to listen to than than an aspergers syndrome spazzo like yourself.

You're definitely going to want strong multicore
Ryzen 7 as a baseline, even going beyond that could be a worthy investment.
16GB of RAM as a baseline, and going futher on that could help, too.
You're certainly going to want an SSD for it if you don't have one already, and NVMe may help, too.
Blender can be graphics heavy too so a stronger card will scale well with results.
Bottom line:
Ryzen 1700- $280
16GB DDR4- $140+
500GB SATA SSD- $140
1060 6GB- $260+
Total- 820+

THanks this worked perfectly

I've got an i7 3770k running at 4.3ghz on air. How long till it be until Ryzen offers a substantial performance boost so I can enjoy the novelty of building a new pc? All I do is watch youtube vids and shitpost on Sup Forums. Occasionally I'll open up photoshop or lightroom, and sometimes I'll play Runescape.

Multicore is only for rendering.
For optimizing 3D software, you need good single core performance. Intel still blows AMD out of the water there.

why pay extra for the 1060 6gb though? youre already pretty close on his budget, and we havent talked mainboard, psu and whatnot

How much thermal compound is too much?

why does the gpu go in sideways like that

So much that it doesn't come in contact with the actual motherboard.

What do you think of this case?

>got new GPU
>works great, installed it no problems aside from getting my bed dusty when i opened my computer up
>it makes a weird noise though
it sounds like the fan is too wobbly or something. should I get a refund? I'd fucking cry if this thing broke after a month or something.