Android is so bad Google has to make a "light bloat" version for non-flagship phones without 12 cores and 16 gigs of...

Android is so bad Google has to make a "light bloat" version for non-flagship phones without 12 cores and 16 gigs of RAM.

arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/12/google-releases-android-go-to-oems-along-with-a-suite-of-low-end-google-apps/

The absolute state of Android

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fall_(Gorillaz_album)
wiki.linuxaudio.org/apps/categories/music_made_with_linux
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Still better than iOS

>supporting older tech is somehow a bad thing
Ready to replace your iPhone X next year already?

let me know when apple has to release "iOS light" because it's too bloated for phones that are a year old.

not putting upwards pressure on the price of their phones
the madmen!

iphone 5c

But it's not older tech, older tech owners are still fucked. This is for anyone not cool enough to spend $1000 on a galaxy s8 or pixel 2.

ANDROID GO: TO THE LOO

THIS SHIT WRITES ITSELF

runs regular full iOS, if it was some gimped version people would rip Apple to shreds.

Guess what, even 200$ devices these days pack hardware comparable to the S8 or Pixel 2. XiaoMi has devices for little over 300$ that pack top of the line Snapdragon 835, if you really want the best of the best hardware.
Samsung and Pixel are attempts at capturing vapid whores that only buy phones because of the pricetag attached to it. Or in other words, Applefags. No one else cares about getting a thousand dollar phones, they just want something that works.

it could be good for other non-phone android devices. I would like to use good android mp3 player

Let me know when Apple stops stealing features from jailbreaks and app-store apps and banning those apps while simultaneously announcing a new iOS version with those features.

Let me know when Apple has a dual-pane file manager.

Let me know when Apple has a terminal emulator available.

Let me know..

>try to make it light as possible
I already see that you'd want to replace "YouTube go" with NewPipe, Play with Yalp Store and Gboard with AnySoftKeyboard or Hacker's Keyboard. As well as remove Chrome and replace it with Lightning or Naked Browser.

If anyone needs a mobile terminal that bad you can pay $100 for a chink tablet and use that, nobody is picking Android over iOS because they need a feature that badly.

>a fucking mobile OS needs a low RAM version

what the fuck is going on with the world

>Let me know when Apple stops stealing features from jailbreaks
The ToS was violated and the iPhone compromised to implement those features, so it’s not stealing. You can’t patent a jailbreak/jailbreak app faggot, it’s existence relies purely on circumventing security and using an exploit (which by the way is a crime in the first world).

>app-store apps and banning those apps while simultaneously announcing a new iOS version with those features.
>waddafug I accepted a license agreement and something happened stated in that agreement. APLE REEEE
>Waddafug this feature is now part of the core OS BETTER HAVE 100 3rd PARTY IMPLEMENTATIONS

>Let me know when Apple has a dual-pane file manager.
Phones aren’t desktops/laptops, stop trying to use them like one. The only reason those exist is because third worlders can’t afford computers.

>Let me know when Apple has a terminal emulator available.

See previous answer.

"The regular Google search app, which also contains stuff like the Google Assistant and Pixel home screen, is around 60MB (depending on the version). Search Lite clocks in at a svelte 4.65MB."

jesus christ

>Sup Forums tips on iPhones having 3GB or less RAM even though memory management is exceptional on iOS
>Sup Forums cheer when a debloated Android is released because their 3GB or less devices can’t handle it

Like pottery

I guess Google over-engineers everything nowadays until it uses all your RAM and clock cycles. If you don't have a thousand bucks to drop on a fashion accessory I guess you should be using the lite version.

>You don't really need that!
The cry of Apple users everywhere. That said, I have a Mac laptop and I love it because of the Unix terminal, and bash and all the different things I can do with it that are either impossible or unnecessarily complex to do on Windows. iOS doesn't follow that same philosophy.

this must be bait right? because ios on older devices is always a lagfest kek

What I don't understand is why the fuck can't they just have things installed as apps?
I mean, that way you can just uninstall the parts you think are bloat and install them again if you misses the functionality.
Why bake it into a ROM?

>Phones aren’t desktops/laptops, stop trying to use them like one. The only reason those exist is because third worlders can’t afford computers.
This right here is the dumbest excuse to Apple's obvious disregard for their client's ability to deal with technology.
I can't fucking use any Apple OS properly because they hide and clutter the system so goddamn much. Developing for iOS on an OSX is an absolute nightmare because every single basic feature is hidden and obscured. They try so goddamn fucking hard to protect their dumb users from anything that could be considered remotely "hard" that actual powerusers that don't know the system are completely dumbfounded.
I have to resort to using the Terminal on OSX every single time I want to do basic folder management. It's fucking insane. Neither Linux nor Windows have this problem.

>A stripped-down YouTube app that lets you download videos for offline viewing and share videos with nearby friends by transferring the actual video content locally over Wi-Fi.
wtf I LOVE the 3rd world now

Can’t wait until google bakes into these apps that they can only be used in the developing world.

They definitely won’t be part of AOSP LOL

> Phones aren’t desktops/laptops, stop trying to use them like one.
The main reason I personally use android over iOS is that I can sync media to/from it using software I already use to sync files between all of my other devices, as opposed to having to install and use iTunes, which is a huge piece of bloat that totally lacks usability and has a painful setup process.

It's not about using a smartphone like a desktop, it's about not using it precisely the way Apple wants me to. Android allows my phone to be independent from my desktop and vice versa.

>apps that they can only be used in the developing world.
I'm eastern european so there's a high chance we're in boyz.

Nah, eastern europe is where you get first world prices with third world income.

So what happens when you flash this shit onto a flagship?

You dont have to use iTunes.
I use copytrans.

Also you can exchange files with other platforms.

I still need some kind of specific software that targets iOS on my desktop, even if third party one instead of iTunes. Besides, as far as I can tell, this thing only works through USB.

With android, I don't need anything I don't already use, and I never need to connect my phone to PC.

Aндpoйид peблянoйид

>Also you can exchange files with other platforms.

Can you do this natively with the share feature?
Can you do this locally? (not using an internet connection)
Can you do it using different network protocols? (eg. Bluetooth, Wifi, Wifi Direct, NFC beaming)
Can you send and receive files of arbitrary extensions?

>inb4 why would you need that
>dem satan digits

the problem is that you still see phones as those bulky ass old nokias. we aren't that far from 16 gb ram phones and it's a good thing.

Then use something like SHAREIt and share over WiFi.

Can even do music mate.

>in the first world downloading youtube videos is restricted to youtube RED
fuck my shit up

>kitkat was supposed to address this
Then material design happened and now Android is heavier than ever.

I use something similar on Android (ES Explorer -> "Send by LAN") to transfer large files which would be impractical over bluetooth. Too bad installing an app that's under 5MB is a total brain challenge to the common folk.

Yeah I removed ES from my tablet because it’s a literal Chinese botnet that leaves remenants of itself all over your SDcard.

Amaze has most of the functionality of es without any of the botnet.
>Whitechapel
Nice.

I'm using an old re-signed version from before the homepage and antivirus/cleaner/booster bullshit. Still botnet but less of it

Works fine for me on my honor 7

My mother uses a 5c. its absolutely horrendous.

Amaze keeps crashing whenever I try to access USB OTG through it.

Also, is there any way to mount system R/W in it? I can’t write to my system partition using it.

But that's a good thing
Reminder newer iOS versions runs like absolute shit on older iPhones

This is why I can't let go of ES. All of the file browsers I've tried manage to crap themselves where ES works fine despite being older.

Expected result:
>OEMs updating current models to Android Go to bring a better experience to their users.

Actual result:
>OEMs abandoning current models as usual and pushing out more 512MB devices with single or dual core mediatek chipsets

>what you paid 1000 for a phone and didn't get useful features?
>LOL
>if you NEEEEEEEEEEEED those features buy something else xd
you're an awful shill

Looks like the apks are available for the Android Go stuff lads

>tubemate
Do people still use this garbage?

OP fucking rekt

>You can't patent a jailbreak/jailbreak app
Actually... you can. If I were to make, say, a file browser with certain features not available in other file browsers, I could patent those features, even if I only used them in applications that violated Apple's ToS.

>which by the way is a crime in the first world
Oh, you didn't know about the DMCA exemption that was passed in fucking 2010? This is 100% legal. The worst Apple can do is void your warranty.

AirDrop. iCloud.

Why not simply use a regular file browser and drag and drop your files like you would a flash drive? Why do you need specialized software to interact with the filesystem?

Regular clean Android O runs absolutely fine on any device with >1GB RAM, in fact it runs better than every previous version on the same hardware. Blame OEMs for screwing everything up.

but it's already in my Finder. it just works, and it doesn't require any wires.

Will it work on my archaic samsung i8150?

>In iOS, AirDrop files can be retrieved by opening the app associated with that file. For instance, if you were sent a photo via AirDrop you will find the photo in the Photos app. Videos will go to the Videos app, etc.
Where would a 7zip file go? Where would an iso file go? Can you copy entire folders?

>list of people that need disc images and compressed folders on their phones
>Sup Forums autists
>r/android

So yo can't do that, gotcha,

they go to ~/Downloads.

oh sorry thought it's for mac. it should give you 'Files' in the popup, but im not sure

>IPHONES CAN DO ANYTHING
>you can't do X
>BUT NOBODY NEEDS THAT

Why cant google go one second without advertising something

I advertise, Jon, it's what I do.

google and many companies keep filling the phones with fucking adware and shit programs I'm never going to use like NFL mobile app

>chink keylogger
i recommend finding an alternative to es file explorer before you talk smack boy

You can even share APPS over shareit.
Pro version seems to be safe. At least it doesn't show ads, doesn't have any annoying services and doesn't create any weird folders, and I see no network activity from it.

>Linux
>mobile OS
It's a desktop OS strapped on a phone.The kernel alone needs 300MB.

>kernel needs 300MB
False

Alright, it needs 390, jeesz.

I can actually, I can download them to either the iCloud Drive or the “On My iPhone” folder.

I’m just explaining to you that a mobile phone shouldn’t be used like a desktop pc ranjit

>I’m just explaining to you that a mobile phone shouldn’t be used like a desktop pc
Why? Maybe I want to send someone multiple files and I don't want to do it one by one, so I'll just archive them.

True

friendly reminder that unused ram is wasted ram

Daily reminder an increase in memory capacity is not an excuse for poor coding

>Apple is a shit company and steals from their customer base
>but they didn't lose a lawsuit for that yet so it's all fine

The system reserves a minimum of 30% available RAM so it doesn't hang

Innocent until proven guilty faggot.
Back to your authoritarian shithole.

For all the overpriced shit their computers are, non-flagship apple phones arent bad, just annoying when they change something and still a bit overpriced

Love how it was
>kernel uses 300mb RAM
>no it doesnt
>here's the proof
>uhhh durr well IT USES 30% TO NOT HANG

Also 30% of 2GB is not 338mb just saying

Daily reminder that used RAM can still be wasted RAM.

>non flagship iphones?
So you mean the 5C and SE?

And is from a 6GB phone so it doesn't work like that there either.

Nearly 500mb for a kernel.

iPhone 7
iPhone 8
iPhone X

iOS 11 literally runs like dogshit on the latest hardware because its so bad.

It's not the kernel using it, it's android. Linux runs itself on less than 64MB RAM.

Maybe Linux 3.x. If you compile it yourself without the stuff you don't need. Not the mainline kernel.

You don’t use a sledgehammer with a nail, you use a regular hammer.

Use the right tools for the right job.

>You can’t patent a jailbreak/jailbreak app faggot, it’s existence relies purely on circumventing security and using an exploit (which by the way is a crime in the first world).
You can
And its not a crime, just apple no longer has to honor their ToS
Writers for tv shows are verbotten from reading fanfics of the show because of that. If they read the fanfic and borrow something from it, even as a derivatory work, its a copyright infringement

>i-its not the kernel, i-its android
>clearly divided up sections of memory into kernel, cache and native

Damage control in this thread

What was that supposed to mean? Android phone can do everything a PC can. Which one is the sledgehammer here?

No it cant and you know it can't.

It can run a full Linux distro without virtualization so it LITERALLY can.

Show me a studio quality song produced on Android or Linux, bearing in mind both systems have horrific audio latency issues and horrific DAWs :)

It'll take me two seconds in google to find an album recorded entirely on an iPad

Aaaand done

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fall_(Gorillaz_album)

>The entire album was recorded on group co-founder Damon Albarn's iPad during the American leg of the Escape to Plastic Beach World Tour in October 2010

And starting with SD835 it can run full Windows as well.
>Show me a studio quality song produced on Android or Linux
Literally first link in Google.
wiki.linuxaudio.org/apps/categories/music_made_with_linux
>horrific audio latency
Doesn't mean shit unless you're recording live. Which you shouldn't, it's 2017.

SE

>a bunch of literal nobodies

>doesn't mean shit
Yes it does especially when layering, applying on the fly effects etc

You still lose.

I proved it's possible. How exactly do I lose?