These headphones

Audio-Technica ATH-M50x. Are they actually good? Or just another meme?

Buy HD600s.

Don't listen to anyone on Sup Forums. Just go to /hpg/ on Sup Forums and ask nicely.

This is Sup Forums but I will also ask in /hpg/

they are unironically pretty good

I have them. I wouldn't buy them again. The sound is pretty good, but they're not comfortable enough. They feel kinda cheap.

Why?
£350 vs £120

hd650 for 200 on massdrop right now. much better

My current headphones are the Razer Kraken 7.1 and they have fucked earpads. I doubt they can be more uncomfortable than this. I heard the "feels cheap" complaint about the plastic on these elsewhere but as my current headphones are plastic, I doubt it will bother me.

they sound good but are insanely fatiguing, I would never recommend them unless you plan on using them for less than 40 minutes at a time.

>not comfortable enough
i () agree with this assessment. if you are doing a long listening sesh, they start to get uncomfortable -- they feel tight and sweaty

Sounds pretty good imo. Don't agree with the guy who says they are fatiguing, I often use mine for hours at a time. Feels pretty durable too can handle transport.
If I should complain about anything it's that they can be a bit warm because of the fake leather, at least now that I have longer hair or in summer.

They will likley be used for 12+ hours on weekends.

buy both

it is a closed headphone design and i haven't experienced any open headphone designs tbqh. i am not sure if it makes a difference comfort wise. but if you are planning to wear them for 12+ hours, i would suggest not getting them.

sound wise they are pretty good, but not so much for comfort wise imo

I remember them lasting about 3 hours before they start hurting. About 2 for just uncomfortableness.
Also be aware that after about one year the cushions will need replacement. If you don't buy the replacement they will start actually hurting (not just being uncomfortable) after less than an hour. I also have hd598 which are still in near perfect condition after 2 years and I can wear them all day everyday without ever feeling uncomfortable.
All in all, like many other people have said, I also would not buy them again. But do I regret getting them? No, they were great until the cushions got fucked.

Just get hd558, they are more pleasing sounding and are some of the most comfortable headphones money can buy.

when i was testing them i found their EQ curve to be a little too exxagerated (i think it's a V shape) so take that into account too

Nigga what are you doing
Get Sennheisers, HD559, HD599, HD600, HD650, HD6XX(

Sup Forums became another reddit?
"hey are those headphones good?"
"lmao no kys fgt hd600 or nothing muh sennheiser premium quality"

I hate reddit with burning passion, but you're a fucking retard

Cheap, very durable, pretty comfy and the sound is good for the price but not amazing compared to 200-300€ headphones.

One of best in its pricerange, and will always be a good value anyway.

they were the #1 most recommended headphone on Sup Forums for a long time
then they got popular and now Sup Forums pretends they hate them

If you don't care about sound leaks, and you want a flat sound always go for open headphones.
They have better soundstage and are generally overall more precise at all different frequencies (probably except in the lows) because of the openness.

I've been using these headphones since the mid-2000s. They're great, but may not be what you're looking for.

They're studio headphones and thus built to give a clear, neutral representation of input. If you have a nice sounding device to output your signal from a file that is encoded well, they will sound perfect. If you plug them in a cheap trash box and play 96kps MP3s, they will sound accordingly.

>they're not comfortable enough. They feel kinda cheap
Never had that problem. They feel good on my head and ears, and I have an ugly deformed alien head. + I dropped them quite a few times and they took it all like it was nothing.

I'd say for the price point you can't go wrong.

got em, like em

explain

Excelent value for the money if you are looking for _closed_ headphone with good clear sound. Bonus points for it being rugged enough, folding and with detatchable cables that you can actually throw it in your backbag whenever you need.

also
>they're not comfortable enough.
keeping the headband much thighter than you normally would fixes most of that

the m40x are better
if u want open back get those philips ones

I've used both the m50x and m40x, as well as more expensive geadphones
imo the m40x sounds better, the general sound of the m50x sounds muddier and the bass isn't as good, so go for the m40x if what you're going for is a ~$100 pair of closed back headphones
If you're going for anything else though, look elsewhere

Been rocking mine for about six years now I think, had to replace the pads about a year ago and the band is looking pretty shit at this point. They've been with me everywhere though, I'd be lying if I said I baby them.

what are you listening to the most tho ?

Mostly electronic, orchestral music on occasion, and M40X sounds better for both

I've had my m50s (older model, the s is not a plural) for 3 years and they're good but could stand to have better inside pads because they rub on my earlobes and overall the headphones are meant for a bigger head than mine.

I had the ATH-M50x and ATH-M50. The ear piece on them both broke on the left side. Apparently they used a small plastic piece to keep the earphone from going past 90 degrees. Don't get them, get something with actual build quality

i too can vouch for the superiority of the m40x

Mine are hitting 5 years old and have thousands of hours of use... Not bad. A lot of people say the mx40s sound better and has more bass.

Up to you man, I'd probably go with Sennheisers

I've been using my pair for the last five years, very happy with them. I use them when i mix live FOH or mons, or just listening to music. I spent enough time with them to get used to their sound, and can tell when something sounds off.

That being said, they are slightly hyped in the low end, but it's not that bad and once you get used to that sounds you can use it as a reference and compensate for it in your mix or whatever.

Fairly good isolation, you can still hear what you need to in a fairly loud environment.

Lots of replacement parts now with the x model, from the earpads to the cables.

They fold nicely for convenient carrying. This point is commonly overlooked, but it's actually so great to have a pair of headphones that fold up into something small.

Overall would recommend. I've always had good results with Audio Technica in general. Good mics, good 'phones, good quality, good price. When mine break i'll go out and buy the same pair.

My go-to reference of what something is supposed to sound like are their R70x. Would also highly recommend as opposed to the HD600s

buy a better set they have a v shaped signature

There's better sounding headphones at that price point or even less. Only thing going for it is it's tanklike build quality.

What happened to people recommending Philips SHP9500's?
They are

>cheap ass fuck
>extremely comfortable
>well built (detachable 3.5mm cable)
>sound amazing
>open (no reason to get a closed pair of cans if you're using them at home)
>are easy to drive

Uncomfortable if the temple tips on your glasses are thicker. They dig into my head and I get a slight headache after a while. Will be looking out for a better pair next time though.

I have a set. I think they're good but the other criticisms are on point. The sound signature is v-shaped, the headband falls to shit pretty rapidly, and the stock ear pads are horrible. They get sweaty quick and aren't particularly comfortable. I replaced mine with some cloth ones from Amazon and they're pretty comfy with those.

massdrop has the HD650s for $200

I had the Blue version that came out a few years ago and the ear pads where really soft and comfortable. The black pads like in the OP are soft at first but then harden over time and start kinda hurting your ears after a year or so. The brown ear pads that came with the blue version remained soft and comfy after years and bad wear. Really wish they didn't break and I could have find genuine replacements.

massdropmind

Broke there for me too, granted I threw them around a lot

I have a pair of M50x and they literally gave me ear cancer and I had to have part of it amputated. Posted in the headphone threads a while back about it.

Got a pair of akg k7xx and its insane how much better and more comfy they are

Eh, the earpads are way too uncomfortable to justify. Really it's unbearable. If you want, get an m40x -- they often go on sale for $80. I bought some Yaxi earpads since I don't do any professional work with them. Velvets are supposed to be more comfortable, but who knows they sound like.

I had a pair once and promptly returned it. I think they sound terrible, but you might like them if you enjoy niggabass.

Anybody else fall for the sony MDR-V6 meme?

What didn't you like about em?

To anyone recommending the Massdrop 6xx, know that these cans won't be shipped till next year.

pic related

So closed-back headphones are literally cancer.

Mine are actually pretty comfortable, even with the stock earpads. I eventually got a different set of earpads since the stock ones wear out quickly, but I can wear them for hours.

I like them, the only problem is not enough bass

I agree. Replaced my damaged hd650s with SHP9500s...honestly I'm content enough with these as a substitute that I'm in no rush to get something better. They are the real deal.

storytime

Damn. These actually look pretty nice. The red ones that came out a couple years back were too bright for my liking, but these are the right shade of red.

Ah, kinda what I was expecting. Always gotta give something up with cb headphones.

They're a meme. Maybe for a reason. I bought the ATH-M50 back in 2013. Solid cans. Not one problem physically since then. I'm no professional when it comes to sound design or even headphones, but if you're looking for some long lasting better than average cans, go ahead and get them, why the fuck not.

Wow how long did you fucking where them to shave your ear down like that?

V has come to.

they're decent if you want an easy to drive pair of headphones with good portability for travel or daily commute, however if you want something purely for listening to you're better off looking elsewhere

What a great fucking pair

Honestly, what a goddamn steal

>Not bad. A lot of people say the mx40s sound better and has more bass.
i thought it was the other way around and the mx50s were worse because they had too much bass.

I like mine. I don't have much to compare against them though.

They're horrible
If you've looked them up in sure you've found my massive rant on headfi
I sold them a week after I got them for like 1/5th what I paid, the next pair were DT 770's which are good, after that were HD598's which were okay but not impressive in any way, after that I got DT 880's which I love

They're open back, and the OP's asking about closed back headphones.

Use an EQ you dip
The headphones are fully capable of having more than enough bass