What caused women to stop studying computer science?

What caused women to stop studying computer science?

Misogynist men guarding the doorway

It's hard, and they're dumb.

using terms like usb dongle

>not calling it a usb dongaroo

When "computer work" stopped meaning "replacing burnt vacuum tubes" and computers got cheap enough to have a timeshared terminal at everyone's desk, there was no need for clerical women to feed stacks of punch cards anymore.

Something that no one who is using 4chins should care about.
Go back to plebbit.

none of those actions were performed by computer scientists

Code monkeys industry

i believe that what you are referring to is called a fleshka.

The gradual decline of CS itself. It went from the field of historic innovators to full on maintenance mode with no great firsts and lots of obscure trivia.
>CS at first: Behold, a user friendly text formatter! The home office will never be the same!
>CS twenty years later: look eugene, i optimized lighting in video games! they run faster now, eheheh
This doesn't appeal to women. Women are the rational sex and prefer to contribute to society rather than their resume, as testosterone has not locked their brains into one-upping mode.

And CS today is nothing but one-upping the last guy, even if it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Thus, a woman will always choose education, medicine, business, or REAL science over a CS job optimizing algorithms in a dark office so facebook can generate targeted ads slightly faster. This is why every push by white male execs to draw in more female employees (and drive wages down for everyone, duh, white men never have purely ethical goals) involve some bullshit about helping the oppressed and improving equality, to the point of saying just being there as a woman is a step forward in social justice that makes up for how little your life means in a CS related field. To make it seem like an important job instead of ivory tower nerd toiling.

>Women are the rational sex and prefer to contribute to society rather than their resume
that doesnt explain a lack of decline in the other sciences, at this point all they produce in theoretical bs

the smell

Theoretical BS in actual science eventually produces something. New medicine, new therapies, environmental conservation, space travel, engineering breakthroughs. And if you are an actual scientist everyone rightfully sees you as a relevant force in the world.

Most BS in computer science is along the lines of three dimensional desktop effects without screen tearing and writing more "elegant" code these days. Useful BS in CS is more the product of actual math and used for actual science, and, coincidentally, where you find the few women that work and study in CS (neural networks, for example).

>all they produce in theoretical bs

ironically the recent advances in machine learning will make your burger flipping jobs obsolete

That's where the women are

I do research in ML. Your move.

at home while being NEET... doesnt really count, does it

>larping this hard

blyat

What if it was the Vidya craze that drove women away from CS?

>can't tell if bait or pasta...

the marketing of the computer as a masculine hobby and profession

just do a google image search for doctor; then do one for computer scientist and compare first two images for what the average male looks like in this field.

whats a computer?

Numbers are sexist. Math too

Believe what you want, but I bet you don't know about stochastic optimization methods.
Not like calculating what to do in the industry is a new thing, ever heard about OR? The new thing is erasing the middleman.

Hollywood portraying computer people as nothing but smelly nerds.

Women get jobs for social status, and CS is considered socially lame. Women want to be revered by society at large, not produce anything useful regardless of stereotypes. Blame Hollywood for making CS a social kicking boy.

sure convinced me :^)

Well, white males intentionally made math too obscure and difficult for everyone else

they realized they could whine about stuff and get in without studying

Jews Maths becomes weird

the smell

>women
>rational
kek

> 1984 is the turning point
> Tetris was developed in 1984

Is Tetris the most Misogynist game ever?

You actually have to work all day and unless you're actually a good and fast programmer you can't sit around socializing all day and write that as a good thing on you review.

they realized it was a meme from the start and pursued a real career

Computer science is not fashionable anymore.

>What caused women to stop studying computer science?
CS is not about their fucking feelings i guess.

honestly, yeah. Lot of women look at work as a hunting ground for a future mate, and there just aren't enough chads in CS so all that time doing all that works is unlikely to result in an 8pack of dumb meat women can hook for movie sex and then sit at home forever after first baby while securing income from male through legal coercion.
No, pretty much every field today is just thinking up new things to be pissed at white males over.

Toxic masculinity in every facet of it

Notice how there's an inverse relation between the rise of mgtow manbabbys whining about women and women dropping out of that career, specially from the early 2000s

Because men are superior in every aspect.

Because it´s a generic office work, writing in a computer same that writing numbers in excel.
There are a lot of women in Electrical engineering but nobody in Sup Forums care because E.E women reject diversity ideologies , Kloss videos and multicolored hair.

these

Women determing value by social behaviour; and CS being a bunch of introverted assholes

I'm sure men are to blame.

Studies show that when women can choose more freely, they avoid studying scientific subjects.

They just don't like them

Men are even better at being women than women themselves.

Why

Kys faggot

I wouldn't go that far, but yeah if you are into that type of thing.

>Misogynist
I keep seeing this word so many times.. I just can't take it seriously anymore.

prob beta faggots like pic related

Computer Science became math

>all these CS cucks thinking they have a real degree

except no compsci or any form of any science is portrayed in hollywood , people wanna watch interesting stories not some dude doing some statistics on some data .

Psychology is too easy that's why

the rise of cheap consumer computers probably contributed to the decline of women entering the field professionally, what with the barrier of entry to professional jobs being reduced from college/university educated people down to social outcasts and autists that have/had no social lives allowing them to get exceedingly good before ever entering the workplace
people will make the case that men designed the software early on in the field while the women did the bitch work like being code monkeys implementing it on punch cards as well as being data inputters but this was less true in the 70s and early 80s and this time saw a huge boons of women in the workforce

you can compare this decline (or bonus?) in the field to the decline of the internet during the eternal september days, or for a more recent example the huge decline in the quality of the internet once phoneposting became a thing, we'll have declines in the computer science field again - you can see this now with the huge pushes to get women and children interested in CS in schools and early education, when these people start entering the workplace you'll have to be good as well as somewhat presentable and politically correct otherwise there will be a line of people waiting for your job, the only reason we get any leniency these days is because there's a huge demand for jobs in the field at the minute so unless you're a public figure you can probably get away with being an autist
outsourcing is going to ruin the field too, they've tried this before but there isn't enough government regulations and sanctions to make outsourcing viable, once people in CS need mandatory safety/standards training (read: mandatory education) before even thinking about being employed at a workplace that requires any sort of data security outsourcing will become far more viable reducing demand even further

saint ignucius save us

psychology is a better degree than cs

Technically they were done by women computer scientists.

It's because of Donald Trump when he became president in 1983.

The smell of the men studying CS

punch cards became obsolete

I don't blame them
It's a shitty field unless you already got yours so there's little incentive compared to the other degrees in the graph outside of really being a CS enthusiast (basically everyone that's left)

>What caused women to stop studying computer science?
Because being a glorified typist wasn't what feminists wanted.

CS right now is producing new cryptography. Formal verification of code. Interface programming. All very hot topics.

There is also public immutable ledgers that revolutionize record keeping, which is the most important use for computers aside from actual computation - for which new distributed systems are being designed as well. Entirely new financial systems are being made. That among other things.

Apparently this is just nerds one-upping each other, as opposed to real innovations like text editors.

Found the nigger.

I agree that there's actually lots of very important shit happening now and that there always will be, but the average undergrad just thinks M$, Apple, FB kind of shit.

CS used to be a disreputable field.

lower average iq
also shitty hollywood movies

Who cares? You want to force diversity there for the sake of it?

this, but it is something amusing to ponder about
i still say it is because people in general are catching on to how much more qol there is in the other areas

subscribed to your post, keep me updated

Pressure

Also, that chart is incomplete

It became hard.

>Women are the rational sex

Unironically stopped reading here.

Unironically this.
It used to be glorified secretary work. It became a full blown science.

Ironically the change probably happened because of women like Hopper.

If I had to take a guess, I'd say 80s Bros didn't share their Nintendo with their sisters.

it's wasn't "sexy". my boss is a woman. she can't code for shit, but she keeps the goddamn end users off my ass.

I can think of a few possibilities:
>feminists actually scared them off with stories of how horrible the men are
>economic boom causing women to prefer things which are less profitable and more interesting to THEM
>influx of turbo autists
>how is it compared to men and to other fields? what if the number of men decreased similarly?

why doesn't anyone care about the lack of women in construction/refuse-collection/etc

why doesnt anyone care about the lack of men in childcare/nursing/etc

kek, yeah if you wanna work at starbucks

> Donald Gilles, one of von Neumann's students at Princeton, and later a faculty member at the University of Illinois, recalled that the graduate students were being "used" to hand-assemble programs into binary for their early machine (probably the IAS machine). He took time out to build an assembler, but when von Neumann found out about it he was very angry, saying (paraphrased), "It is a waste of a valuable scientific computing instrument to use it to do clerical work."

Originally "computers" were human (women mostly), following instructions from mathematicians (men). Then compilers were human, "coders" turning flowcharts into programs. (Making the flowchart was the hard part).

Now we've automated all the "easy" mechanical parts, and only the hard, logical part remains, which is writing the fucking program in the first place.

>why doesnt anyone care about the lack of men in childcare/nursing/etc

This actually is an issue. There are similar gibs in nursing programs for males. Considering how fat people are today, there's a big demand for stronger nurses.

Because it's not actually about equality. It's about how everything mean and evil in the world is because of straight white men (except the ones that want to cut their dick off, of course).

the better question is why do people insist on wasting money on people not interested on a subject instead of spending that money on people who are? Nothing is stopping FEMALES from joining normal technology related groups other than their lack of brain power. Every "code camp for girls only" is just a special olympics tier program where funds that could be spent on people actual capable and interested in technology are wasted on "retards" who will never do anything with what they "learned" other than virtue signal. It's like this all the time over and over. In my highschool they spent money on kids in special ed who were literally vegetables. Why not spend that money on the "gifted kids". They also spent money on the "violent problem kids". Again why not spend that money on the "gifted kids". the "gifted kids" were basically told to fend for themselves and oftentimes exploited as free labor when they were forced to tutor idiots. Again any "woman outreach program" is just special ed and reinforces how inferior women are intellectually. If you are a rare intelligent woman nothing is stopping you from joining normal technology programs.

>Straight = evil
???

The peak is in '85. You telling me they were still using tubes then?

That's not really a mystery. Employers want to drive wages down.

>you will never have a girl code-monkey underling to implement your algorithms for you.

They never started.

/thread

This.

Women found that doing whore cam on twitch is a better use for computers and gain more money.

Can't really blame them when thirsty betas keep throwing money at them.

>spend your reproductive prime in university
>then the remaining shelf life of your overies working on muh career
>when you're finally "ready" to have children you're either infertile, or your children come out as autistic manlets
>your lineage gets cucked out of existence because you were too full of your self to reproduce

>prefer to contribute to society rather than their resume
That is because you have affirmative action giving you an express ride to the top positions of a company for simply owning a vagina. Whereas men have to slowly work their way up from rock bottom of the company, if he is even given an opportunity to work for them to begin with.

I visited a radio station that still used vacuum tubes. Some of their equipment were some of the last available in the world and in operation.

I'm going to do this now

>vacuum tubes
>1985
I swear, you millennials must think of XX century as a one blob of time "sometime before we were born".

Go back to Sup Forums.