/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Search the web before asking here.

What's the best Soulseek client? Nicotine+ is shit and stalls after every single upload.
Also, how do I make VNC not shit? Any better cross-platform alternatives?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/z41B1ge9
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

SoulseekQt is the only one that works on Linux.

im trying to narrow down a problem and i think my wireless network Adapter might be fucked

could that cause ping spikes?

cause ive tried everything else

Normally I'd post a question like this in a retro thread but I don't see one active right now but maybe someone checking here can help me.

There's an old Mac SE for sale near me that's in great condition with accessories for cheap, but it's giving a Sad Mac and error codes on boot. The codes they provided pictures of are:

Which looking online tells me are the codes for "illegal instruction" and "zero divide.'

But I can't find a description of what might be causing those errors. If the thing needs a new HDD or battery or something relatively easy to fix I want to jump on it, but if it's a fucked up logic board or something I'll pass. Can anyone help me?

What are /normie/ approved devices?

X220 arrived today with battery and plug, but the plug is Chinese and won't work here (NA). Found a spare plug that fits, but it's labeled 7A 125V; Chinese one is 2.5A 250V. I know nothing about electrical charges, but I'm worried that using the 7A 125V can potentially be damaging to the machine. Am I wrong in thinking this? Does the only number that actually matter the one on the battery itself?

Is there a way to configure neofetch to use nvidia-smi instead of lspci when detecting my second GPU, or would it be easier to edit neofetch itself?

Why do people write email addresses with an (at)?

Why not just use @? Are they retarded or is there a reason?

You are retarded.

Elaborate, I'm genuinely interested in to why they do this?

Would still appreciate input from other anons, but in case anyone else might have the same question, I may have found an answer from googling.

>I am aware of a post on here that addresses if a laptop AC Adapter supports American voltage (100-120 volts), European voltage (210-230 volts) or both. However, that is not my question. I have this cable
>My question is: Can I buy ANY 3 Prong cable such as this one:
>Plug it into my Lenovo 100-240V 1.8A 50-60Hz Input AC Adapter (see picture below) and use my charger like normally where there is an American plug even though the American cable is rated 7A 125V and not 2.5A 250V?

>Yes you can, the IEC 320 C5 plug is standardized exactly for this kind of use case. The manufacturer only has to produce a single type of power supply, but can provide different cords for different regions. I Myself I have cables with IEC 320 C5 connectors for continental Europe, US, South Africa and UK and experience no problems at all.

What should I do to prepare my laptop from drive failure? It's happening so much at this point that I know it's inevitable.

And yes I already backed up my important files.

Most normalfags I know can't draw the at symbol. Simple as that.

Just googed it myself, it's not as straightforward as people being retarded but more so that email scrapers have a harder time to find that mail and use it for spam.

Also fuck you and leave this thread dedicated for stupid questions

How do I change my keyboard settings from UK to US so I can use a fucking hash key instead of this piece of shit ££££££££££.

I fucking hate windows 10.

Don't worry I found it. Fuck microsoft and their bullshit os fucking retards have to reinvent the fucking wheel don't they.

the wallplug part of the cable doesn't have the block. that cable is just rated for higher wattage than you need. It should be fine.

What are the odds that I can install Linux on my Asus laptop, and it'll just work? I.e. o won't have to worry about X% of the hardware not working. It has a dedicated Nvidia graphics card, as well as a web cam, but I don't care about the cam. It's getting to be a bit old, and sluggish, so I thought ditching win 10 in favor of Linux might be good for it. I only really use it for programming now a days.

the newer the hardware, the less likely it is to be supported. the opposite is also true.
if installing debian or ubuntu(probably xubuntu in your case) makes things fuckey, you can try a more up to date distro like fedora or arch.

Since it's getting old, pretty good.

the only way to know for sure is to isolate each piece and test them against something that is known to work
if buying new hardware to test against is the only thing you have left, after maybe something like plugging your hard drive into a spare computer, then go ahead.

you could have a full cloned drive ready to go, or just outright replace it now.

By "getting old" I mean about two years, since that's what I've observed a typical laptop's lifespan to be. If Linux doesn't work out, would a factory reset be likely to give it the boost I'm looking for?

I can't access anything google* on 4g
I get 200ms latency with ping and every 2nd ping drops
usually it's like 30ms pinging 8.8.8.8
[spoiler]I only get 4g and dialup at my place[/spoiler]

if I successfully learn C, study memory management and go through SICP, will I learn what programming is?

Maybe.

no
you will learn what c is

To prevent being enlisted into the bot net.

I'm retarded and really don't understand anything at all about anything other than Windows. Any recommended guides for babby's first OS switch?

It would be easier to edit neofetch conf to say whatever you want.
prin "Something" "something"
and # what you don't want.
# info title

*(@|\(at\))*

A while back, I gave my parents the Maha C9000 charger and enough Eneloops for all their electronics. Now they bought these cheap ass Christmas lights and complain that those dim too quickly. I figured the Chinese didnt design for 1,2V. However, there only seems to be a single resistor limiting the current - I should be able to replace it with a lower value and the LEDs should run just fine, right?

>sicp
my friend read sicp but as someone who already knows programming i didn't really find most of it interesting

what does solving made-up maths problems using lisp while reinventing every single builtin function even have to do with "computer programs"

When GPU overclocking, will increasing voltage lead to more instability, or is it only core clock that affects stability? I've also read that running at higher voltages reduces the card's lifespan. Is that only because of the increased heat or are there other factors to worry about when doing that? Basically I want to know if maxing out my voltage in Afterburner will do anything other than increase heat and allow me more room to overclock my core clock.

Oh. Ok, guess I'll just set gpu_type="integrated" and print the name manually.
What are those colors at the bottom, btw?

I feel like my pc's performance have diminished as a whole and I suspect is because my gpu/cpu are underclocking themselves.
My pc was was having constant bsods and video driver crashes, but when it worked, the performance was good. Suddenly, it stopped crashing but the performance is way shitier.
How can I check this and how to fix it?

I have an old Edimax EW-7438RPn V2 lying around. It's manual isn't very good, but I wondered if I could use the device as an access point. Anyone know?

Is there a Windows thumbnailer that does more than one type of file?
I'd rather not install 3 different thumbnailers for webm, vtf, and dds files

Does Windows (7 U) have a built-in audio tool with which to cut audio from video to a wav/mp3/whatever, or do I have to download a separate program? Which one would be lightweight, easy to use and otherwise not a nuisance to use?

Try Audacity

I have just got an account on a private tracker is there any way i can set transmission to seed torrent from a certain tracker to seed longer than the ones from public trackers?

thanks

referred to in man neofetch as color_blocks

That's not really my question. Man and help don't properly explain what those colors are for.
Are they there just for lulz?

nice censoring user you should work in cyber security

Is there a program I could use to get some sort of dropdown list or something for desktop shortcuts on Windows 10? I had some clutter of shortcuts on my desktop, so I arranged them into folders, but it's inconvenient to navigate them like that. It'd be nice if I could click or mouseover a shortcut and have a dropdown menu of different applications appear below it.

idk, I'm a bit autistic about posting my personal info on Sup Forums.

Catalyst ai on or off? Got a slow CPU btw

Fuck, I forgot about the title bar, Jesus I'm so retarded

So if I install MicroG on LineageOS it should let me use apps that usually require Play Services like Snapchat or Animal Crossing right? But does it also add extra bloat along with it? Because Idk if it's really worth installing for only 2 apps that need it if it's going to slow my system down in the process. Or is there some wait to not have it running all the time and only enable it manually when I need to?

lol it's ok Marvin

Marvin is what I call my laptop.

colors are important system info.

my sonarr installation cannot make backups on linux mint it says access to the directory is denied even though i am running the sonarr service as root anyone know how to fix this

oh
that kind of makes it worse user...

sure.

yes to all, for the most part
you can whitelist the apps you want to have access to the internet with afwall from fdroid

readability is important.

test

I can't reply to you with my answer for some reason

Run benchmarks and check if your scores have gotten better or worse. Also install a specs analyzer such as HWMonitor and check if the clock speeds have decreased.

If you don't have any data from previous years then you're SOL.

Sure thing, Marvin.

check dir permissions

I just installed a new cpu (from AMD Phenom II X4 945 to FX 8350) and it seemed to work fine, but after a few minutes, the system freezes and the monitors, usb devices, and front panel power buttons stop working so I need to turn the power off with the psu switch.
What could be causing this? The cpu looks fine and is detected properly by the bios and windows.

If I just want to connect a single room that's 1 floor and 1 whole other side of the house over how hard would it be to ethernet that? Would I just mostly involve fishing a really long cable between the floors somehow?

damn, I really wanted to play animal crossing but it's not really worth it to install extra bloat on my phone. thanks for the help. also do you happen to know by any chance if you can use the snapprefs xposed module to use snapchat without google services?

if all else fails you could try powerline adapters but I heard it gets a bit finnicky if you're floors above the router.

Well powerline is probably a bad idea because of the issues with the wiring of my room I already run a UPS and it always reports electrical noise especially if I run my window a/c (not a problem in winter but still)

the bloat isn't as much of a concern as the privacy violations, although you could rate your battery pre- and post-install to see for sure
no experience with xposed personally but if it says it does something it probably does

Well, it could be worse. I could've set the hostname to my anime waifu's name, the username could be "guardian_of_computronium" or something. The distro could be a Linux from Scratch, named "Fedora Linux" ... oh no wait that one's taken ... "Katana Linux" ? "Trenchcoat Linux" ?
And in the background there could be a kool haxxor wallpaper with a Guy Fawkes' mask.

uhhh yeah I guess you're right

I might be wrong, since I was a hiring manager in a different industry, but for those of you in the tech industry, let me ask you a question.

I'm back in school part time doing my degree in CS. My professionalism and ethics professor gave us an end of semester assignment where we build a website to hold our portfolio and resume. Already, I'm kind of weary because I do not want my resume to be just out in the open for others to grab, but I understand the idea behind the assignment and think it's generally a good thing to have students do.

However, it's the content of the website that is driving me crazy. The website should contain 6 separate sections. Each section is like a blog post. They consist of my opinions on the following topics:

> Ethical theories
> Intellectual Property Rights
> Privacy issues
> Government regulations and freedom of expression
> The Internet of Things

Now, I get that this is just a school assignment. I will surely be removing these pages once the assignment has been graded. But what's really driving me crazy here is that she is telling all of the students that having these "blog posts" are a very necessary part of a portfolio and that employers will be very pleased to be able to see our opinions on these topics.

Again, I may be wrong since I was a hiring manager in a different industry, but if an applicant had that sort of thing on their portfolio, I would be less than impressed. Why on Earth do I care about your opinion on these regulatory and philosophical topics? If anything, it sounds like the applicant thinks they have everything figured out and thinks that they're better than me. Do I really want to bring someone on board who has strong enough opinions on these topics that they may end up fighting back against management decisions or go about tattling on others when their behaviors don't conform to their ethical standards?

Or am I wrong? Do employers actually want to see my long-winded opinions on these things?

>no experience with xposed personally but if it says it does something it probably does
yeah I mean the thing is I don't see anything saying whether or not it would work without google services, it's just supposed to add more features to snapchat so Idk if you still need the actual sc app for it to work or what.

Is this normal for a Thinkpad Charger?
Charing a T400.

This is charging while the laptop is off.
Ambient temperature 25°C.

Also under load it hits 60°C/140°F.

She is wrong.
Never once i was asked about any of those things in an interview.
The closer I got for a flat hierarchy startup like company (so a special snowflake company) that had a cultural interview, the most political we reached in that talk was discussing how education should be, and from an educative point of view, not social/political/economy point of view. I regret not working there tough(they have every kind of free food in the office, healthy and unhealthy! Maintaining my current meal plan would be easier) , they took a bit too much in responding(they closed the opening for last minute admin reasons and openned 2 months later and asked me to join them) I accepted another offer in the during that time....

your professor probably never worked any other job in her life, straight out of university became a teacher. try online courses, udemy, coursera, you are probably wasting time in college with all your experience

Meh. Nothing of importance.
Why were they even added?

if it's like that all the time when the laptop battery is full, it may be a bad sign.

it says that the user does not have permissions to access the directory i am running it as a system d service do i need to make a new user for that service or can i just run the service as the root somehow because it isn't working by running it with sudo

Okay, that's what I thought. A few others in my class agree as well, but I feel for those who have no sort of experience outside of school and will actually listen to her.

It seems like a big problem at my school that all of the professors are very knowledgeable, but are completely out of touch with the real world. I guess I'm lucky that I've been out in the real world and can distinguish which parts are good and which are bad, but again, what about those who don't have any experience outside of school?

Man. I'd drop and just self-educate, but I'm only 18 hours away from the degree so I may as well just finish it. lol

Is there some way to sync my tracked Sup Forums threads between a computer running GNU/Linux with Sup Forums X and an Android device with Clover? Also is there a way to sync images as well (this one is probably a little easier)

don't know about the charging, but 60ºC is fine under load

40°C while charging the battery.
Usually i dont connect it unless i have to.

I connected my laptop to my TV. The picture quality is horrible. I can't even describe it, it's like every pixel has an outline. I am running it on its native resolution and it looks bad. No scaling on the TV, but it also looks bad with that.
The only way it looks acceptable is when I use something like 1366×768 and then let my TV scale it. Is this normal? Should I just accept that I have a shit TV?

I dunno what path to whatever dir your talking about is but...
perhaps visudo you're secure_path

depends how you connected the laptop hardware and software wise
i assume you used windows+p and a vga cable? vga might be the issue.

sorry i don't know a lot about linux i tried making it a service myself so theres probably something really wrong with the service config.

pastebin.com/z41B1ge9

the user i gave it is my normal user and it can access and modify files in my external hard drive but it stores backups and config files in a directory in the etc folder this is what it can no longer access but it worked before i made it a service. Even running as sudo it still cannot access this directory

How do I get pulseaudio to work on xubuntu?

look at the archwiki page

How do I install linux program from github that has no launchpad link? Is there no other way than to build it myself?

Look for Point by Point mode in your TV settings.

What distro? Building from source is usually just one or two commands anyway

mint
Don't you often need to install many libs just to build one program?

they're often preinstalled, but it depends
building things yourself can be a pain on debian-based

There's usually install instructions on the github page.
You need to install build-essential to compile + make

>Making hash table from scratch with closed addressing
>Adding/removing stuff from it has turned into a series of if/else statements
Is this normal?

Displayport to HDMI adapter and then into the TV.

Will do.

how do i get rid of the activate windows watermark?

activate windows

do four 1TB drives use more energy than two 2TB drives?