Is there a good open-source alternative to Skype? And one where you can add Skype contacts? I bet the answer is no...

is there a good open-source alternative to Skype? And one where you can add Skype contacts? I bet the answer is no. This pisses me off. I don't want to install Skype on Debian but I have a couple of important calls coming up and I don't know if I have an alternative.

Other urls found in this thread:

web.skype.com
signal.org/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signal_(software)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Whisper_Systems
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I wonder what it would be like to have a gf

do a google search you dumb faggot

Pidgin used to be able to do this, but since Microsoft took over it's not possible.

Thanks for an intelligent response.

I've had many and have known none that do as the pic in the OP.

I had one that made that on the pic. She is a nutjob, got pregnant from two different people in two years.

Cant you use Google web integrated hangouts?

That image makes me feel funny.

>I've had many and have known none that do as the pic in the OP.
It comes quite naturally with long-distance relationships.

Really depends on you and your partners expectations and demands
Many people here think that a gf would automatically fix your depression and self esteem issues, but I'm afraid to tell you that it doesn't

>is there a good open-source alternative to Skype?

no, if you want to avoid installing shitware i would just suggest using the web version in chromium:
web.skype.com

it's pretty stripped down and barebones and proprietary but at least it runs in the browser instead of a binary

there's Ring but I dunno what it's worth I don't use that kind of stuff

Ah, but can i record voice calls on skypeweb?

Just use OBS or something

>is there a good open-source alternative to Skype?
Depends on what you need but for me thankfully the answer is YES. Seriously, try jitsi, it has two important perks over Skype for me:
- Neither you or the people you want to talk to needs to install anything, it's web based. So as long both of you have a modern well updated browser that's all you need to do.
- Neither you or the people you want to talk to needs to create an account. Just enter in the main page (meet.jit.si) and create a room. Then just send the url and any person with the url can join.

On top of that it has a lot of interesting features. I find two disadvantages tho:
- I think you can't register so you can't have a contact list. This is not a problem for me because one of the reasons why i use jitsi is because in my shitty country almost everyone uses whatsapp and it's extremely annoying not being able to do a conference or a decent video call on the computer instead of the phone, so if most of you contacts are in other services there's a list of contacts you can use with jitsi directly.
- I noticed it works much better with chrome than firefox, the screen sharing feature don't even work for me on FF, but i guess most normies has chrome anyway so it shouldn't be a problem.

Pretty much have to bite the normie bullet on video conferencing with skype. There's a pretty large network effect with skype as well that wont be going away any time soon

dot patterns on girl-clothes are the best

Ring

If it is worth something, the new Skype for Linux is quite decent.

agreed.

does it have screen sharing yet?

Tox. You can talk to wonderful people on there!

Who uses anything other than Discord in 2017? Does your dietary intake consist purely of mens' semen?

> I've had many
What the fuck are you doing here? This place isn't for you.

my current gf does, but we're in a long distance relationship so I guess that ain't surprising

>my current gf
sounds like she isn't yours

... DonĀ“t be a cocksucker and just install skype, is the same whatever you use if it fullsills what you want, whi looking into somethig that does the same if it already exists??

Yes. Use Signal. Signal is open-source and provides end to end encryption of your messages. Signal supports messaging, video calls, voice calls, sending images, files, etc etc.

signal.org/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signal_(software)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Whisper_Systems

it is proprietary garbage, what did you expect?
If they are really important you will have to suck it up.

Sex on tap.

this tbqhwy

Thanks to Microsoft shit, if you want to talk to people ON Skype itself, you have to use Skype. Hell, use the web version if you must. Sadly Pidgin and whatnot no longer can interface with Skype since Microsoft started closing those doors.

Want other open source programs that replicate Skype functionality? Now that we can do.

Signal - It finally has REAL, non Chrome-app desktop versions, is open source, and can handle calls/video on mobile/desktop too. Good encryption. Easy to use.

Riot (or any Matrix.org compatible client) - Riot is the most polished, but Matrix is the new open source skype+slack+discord etc...replacement and its coming together rather well. Lots of features, good end to end encryption as well, easy to use. Better , lots of other open source messengers are now adding Matrix support so there's a lot of intercommunication possible.

Jitsi / Jitsi Meet - A fantastic SIP/XMPP/ZRTP skype replacement. You can use the client along with other SIP services or whatnot or their "meet" web based functionality. Really developing well and integrating with other projects.

Tons of XMPP (and/or SIP) clients - You need to message? There are tons of XMPP clients and many federated servers you can join that have Skype-like functionality including video/voice.

>Who uses anything other than Discord in 2017?
People with jobs

Doesn't signal have video calls? Just use that