/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux thread

Old thread: /fglt/ - Friendly GAHNOO slash LOONIX thread
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

first for bepis

>supporting botnet neutrality
ytho?

Go back to re ddit, you clearly understand nothing

IPs visiting Sup Forums should be b& from other boards for 48hrs.
upvote pls.

this

First for freedom.

> supporting censorship
Tumblr pls

Not really censorship. More like an idiot filter.

>filter
Censorship

take my (You), good gentlesir! :-D

is there anything to be done about the intel management engine at this point besides wait for a microcode update?

Bumping for my question earlier. What distro should I switch to if Debian isn't fulfilling my needs in customization? I run an Atom N550 on a Latitude 2120 and Gentoo isn't an option because of the absurdly long compile times. I'd love to install though.

/usr/share/keymaps is empty and "localectl list-keymaps" returns "Couldn't find any console keymaps." Subsequently, I am unable to loadkeys... are they stored somewhere else? Where can I downlaod the keymaps?
I'm on Raspbian

Arch

Arch

Arch

Arch

Related, how to convert setxkbmap layouts to loadkeys layouts?

fuck off
sa-GAY

Arch

CloverOS

Support the community

So is screen tearing just the reality with Xubuntu/XFCE?

I have the proprietary drivers, ForceFullCompositionPipeline is enabled in my nvidia-settings, compton is installed.

The tearing is less of an issue but still occasionally present.

If I switch to the standard Ubuntu will this not be a problem?

Or Debian with something other than XFCE?

I'm not emotionally tied to Xubuntu so I could switch.

Are we allied with ledit and google now thanks to NN? Who knew that Google was looking out for our internet? Man these are strange times. I'm probably going to buy a Chromebook to thank them. Open Source all the way, but gotta thank your true allies.

google isn't "looking out for the internet" they're just covering their own ass so they don't get throttled. Just so happens that their position aligns with ours.
Also make sure you check the galliumOS compatibility list before buying a chromebook, so you know you can install linux on it.

install compton.

Nah I don't think Google would do that. They're too big to be throttled. They're definitely looking out for us. I'm definitely not going to mess up my chromebook with other operating systems. Chrome OS is linux already. Open Source all the way and all, but you gotta thank you true allies.

>compton is installed
>"install compton"

bait

Which GNU/Linux distro is best for my boyfriend moving from windows?

arch

debian, arch

unironically gentoo

screen tearing is the reality with nvidia hardware. Either learn to live with it (preferably disable it globally for performance) or use gnome/kde/compiz (unity), but you will still experience some slowdowns or tearing.
t. nvidia 9800gt/gtx 760/gtx 1060 user. From my experience gnome works best.

Thank you for the response.
Sorry, but when you say 'disable it globally' what do you mean?

hell yea dude

Arch

>dabbled in Linux back in college
>ultimately stuck with Windows 7
>graduated, now work
>fed up with Windows 10's updates and ads
>install [spoiler]Ubuntu[/spoiler] for simplicity >>implying
>can remote into my work desktop and do everything I normally do on windows with Ubuntu
>have not booted up Windows since Sunday

this is great. I heard Debian is even better though but don't want to switch yet

Linux can't see my wifi interface anymore. Nothing about it shows up in iwconfig, but I know that it worked yesterday and the drivers were installed. The driver name is rtl8814au

Does it show up in lspci?
Did you update the kernel and forget to reinstall the firmware(dkms?)
Did you try to modprobe the driver name?

Welcome back to the fold.

Congratulations, user.
Debian is not worth switching for unless you need it. Do it if you get fed up with Ubuntu, which may or may not happen.

>I heard Debian is even better though but don't want to switch yet
Debian is great if, like me, you autistically want your computer to do exactly what you tell it to and nothing else, and will tolerate no shit, at the cost of spending a fair bit more time getting things to work just the way you want.

Ubuntu is great if you want things to just work without whining or undue maintenance or fussing around.

Pick your poison, user~

you can force vsync off in nvidia driver settings ,at least on consumer cards.
The option is "sync to vblank" Some programs may override it, but performance will be better anyway.
If you really dislike vsync you can forget that, and enable tripple buffering and the tforcefullcompositionpipline option in xorg.conf. it gets laggy in my experience there should be no tearing. Google it for how-to and use the nvidia-settings to create an xorg.conf file.

how do you guys shut down your computers?

I use shutdown -h now

Kernel is the same, firmware is in dkms for the kernel version

modprobe -a doesn't work

lcpci shows nothing

run dkms again and then reboot

>you autistically want your computer to do exactly what you tell it to and nothing else, and will tolerate no shit

This is quite attractive to me, I've been using Ubuntu for about a year now.

As Ubuntu is based on Debian, would I have access to the same packages/ppas as on Ubuntu, or an equally comprehensive selection? I really have no reason to switch other than to have something to tinker with.

I don't understand how people can miss Windows. Debian/Fedora with Xfce is a pleasure to use.

Thanks, I've already got the xorg.conf so will try that next.

*if you really dislike tearing.
i need to sleep

enable the full composition pipeline with the tickbox in nvidia settings, and use "save to X configuration file" to save it as /etc/X11/xorg.conf, (you can resize the window that asks you where you want to save the file to edit the file manually)

basicly to force tripple buffering you need to add Option "TripleBuffer" "True"
in the device section of your xorg.conf file (the one that has your gpu model listed).

If you want this, then you really should check out Arch Linux. It's better than Debian in the tinkering sense.
Also it has AUR, which is so much better than PPA or whatever that garbage pile is called.
Also it's rolling release, so you never have to explicitly upgrade to the latest version.

Arch is good.

Did you mean dkms autoinstall? Because that didn't work.

thanks guys. Ubuntu does everything I need it to do now perfectly. I was shocked at how simple it was to remote connect to my work computer's desktop using Citrix (got it working in about an hour with basic googling and the terminal)

Debian, arch is bloat

use dkms to install your firmware in to the kernel again
or
just reinstall your firmware package and dkms will do its job

Yea I've got the winter break coming up between semesters so I figure that'd be a good time to try something new. I guess ubuntu is really nice because when you google an issue there are so many answers, askubuntu, the forums. But it seems arch has just as active a community.

Which kernel?

This.

Tinkering is not what Debian is good at. Debian is great if you want something specific, so you arrange that specific setup, and then you don't touch it again and start doing real work. If you like tinkering for the sake of tinkering, try arch.

Which ever kernel you are using.

Yep, Arch is very good for that. Arch Wiki is a great resource for any distro, but especially so for Arch.

You have the same problem as me?
It looks like manually reinstalling did the trick. God, linux is so annoying sometimes. Thanks for the help.

The price we pay for FREEDOM

Ubuntu or Arch for an old macbook pro 7.1? I'm a linux noob but can invest a bit of time into learning and I'm not a retard (i think).

As others have noted in this thread, Arch is great for tinkering. If that is what you are into then go for Arch. It is a fine distro, but requires a bit more work. The AUR is excellent, as is the wiki.

Ubuntu on the other hand is interesting because if you don't want to do anything extra you do not have to. You can stay in the gui for ever and not want for more. But you can also use the fantastic Ubuntu community to learn and modify how your Ubuntu works.

Either choice would be excellent if you are a self-motivated learner.

Linux

The AUR is a insecure piece of shit.
It's funny, in Ubuntu country people warn you and recommend to avoid third party packages, on Arch the same thing gets meme'd as "feature" because Arch lacks packages. Same with the "lightweight" Arch meme, since Arch packages are actually bloated as shit, and while other distributions avoid bloat by package splitting, Arch gives you the full load. Maybe lazyness, would also explain why a "distro you can built from ground up like you want" cones with systend.

tl;dr Arch is a meme

Arch is for advanced users.

What modules do I have to blacklist to block iptables entirely? (Moved to nftables).

So far I have ip_tables, iptable_nat, iptable_filter, iptable_mangle, ip6_tables, ip6table_filter.

Can't see any others by grepping lsmod except possibly x_tables.

Stop making threads with this garbage.

FUD, the post.

>AUR is insecure
AUR is not insecure if you can read and you're not retarded, so I guess that rules you out.

>bloated packages
not this shit again. You're just spewing nonsense without a single idea of what you're talking about.

>Arch is a meme
Arch is a meme is a meme, and a dead one at that. So, please, fuck off.

Tbh after using it for 2 years I've realized this message is just regurgitated FUD, probably mostly from people that don't actually use Arch.

I understand why it may appear that these things are true, but they're really not.

I run it on my desktop, 2 laptops, home and remote server, only had an issue that was a major problem once and that was the fault of nvidia.

Anyone have a filter list that I can bum?

>can remote into my work desktop and do everything I normally do on windows with Ubuntu
What do you use?

t. jew or Sup Forums
im not sure which at this point maybe both

I just got my build up and running yesterday and im just waiting on my second graphics card.
I have a ryzen. Apparently to get around the npt bug in kvm i have to patch and compile the kernel myself. how on earth do I even get started with that?

That's a meme desu, Debian is fucking shit. I don't even use it on my servers, I use Ubuntu LTS instead. In production it might be a different story but for personal use do not use Debian.

If you do want to ever try another distro, try one not part of the Debian family at all.

>download kernel source from kernel.org
>cd kernel directory
>download patch
>$ patch -pnum filename.patch where num is appropriate strip value, this should be indicated wherever you download the patch from
>$ make && make modules && make install && make modules_install

ezpz senpai

Citrix Receiver

>got a new laptop
>debian with xfce is just way too fast
>hmm maybe gnome will be tolerable now
>still is buggy and uses all my CPU at times

what in the world, how do they do it... it also reminds me of Windows, I had to blacklist bunch of useless shit like tracker-miner and evolution

So this is provided by your employer? I am using an HP solution, but It doesn't work with all applications.

How can GNOME be this bad, when Canonical uses it for Ubuntu?

Hello security breach.

i had a do a good think before realizing why it makes no sense. because picrelated is the original.

The edit is kind of right though, "Net Neutrality" is sort of a bullshit name to give to the bill in the first place, and all those companies DO want to fuck you.

Without it cable companies will try to as well though, it's a pretty tough call.

It kind of isn't right at all.
WIthout net neutrality you will be chained to those services -- either through cable-like packages, or through deals like "get unlimited traffic to X service for a small fee".
It only helps Googles and Facebooks, as it stifles competition -- a new service can't get a foot in the door because the consumer can't access it or is incentivized against it.

Uh, people are arguing that those services (Google, Facebook, Netflix etc) would be throttled/more expensive BECAUSE of an increase in competition (ie. one created by these cable companies that will be unthrottled/cheap).

Granted those alternatives will probably be trash but it's an increase in competition.

>i had a do good think
dude what

"i had to think real hard for a minute"

i like having fun with words.

I don't understand.
Are people arguing that abolishing net neutrality helps competition for services? Am I reading this right? Is it one of those "free market solves everything" republican mentalities?

Some are. I think both sides of both arguments (censorship and competition) have valid points, it's quite difficult to pick a side. I'm just not investing myself heavily into either and hoping whatever happens works out personally.

I'm about to lose my shit with this firefox file picker. The built in one is hot garbage. Setting about:config to use my default thunar somehow opens a minimal version of thunar with teeny tiny thumbnails I can't see and only shows a bigger thumbnail for the one file currently highlighted. No options to increase icon size which is all I need.

Forgot image, does anyone else get this?

Everyone does, it's the default GTK file picker.

It has nothing to do with Thunar, see Either install a patched version of gtk file picker or install the kde file picker (dependencies lol).

Yes we're all well aware of that, and this is still a big embarrassment for us. Apparently if you use kde though the filepicker has nice thumbnails for some reason

I'm trying to copy this mongolian picture plate, it gives me scramble errors for Christmas. I have libdvdcss installed and the drive region set. Should I give up and do it on Windows?

It's been bad for years. Let's fork Firefox and make it great again! I'll start on the logo...

>Apparently if you use kde though the filepicker has nice thumbnails for some reason
Because KDE is actually pretty good it's just bloated as fuck and dependency hell. I'd love to have JUST the KDE file picker.

unironically install gentoo

youre a fuckin idiot bud, those gashes in the front have surely ruined the disk

What is the go-to noscript thing these days for chromium?

Now that Firefox and chromium are basically the same I may as well go with the faster one.

idiot or not, the disc surface looks fine