React OS 0.4.7 released

Pre-fosdem edition

This upgrade brings new hardware support, better theming capabilities, software(new winapi) support ,new filesystem fixes and support), quick launcher fixes also a lot of bug fixes.

User-friendly changelog: reactos.org/project-news/reactos-047-released

Detailed changelog: reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16670&sid=c0bbb6b34671051d53ec409f457b94e1

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ljw3qmBk6zs
youtube.com/watch?v=xbsTFBYhLBA
youtube.com/watch?v=Ii4bircrQtg
ipfs.io/ipfs/Qmb5QoHsJS9z5UWFCznH8NoA7KWvAgTXjnjeMqpP5ByTd7/ImeSetup.exe
mega.nz/#!nRJESZbb!IK6xJ7-6qgFR6ZpVm7ocHpR7gLVjl9QJMftpyEGmhyE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Great. I'll wait around 10 years from now. I guess by that time it'll be a great clean OS.

Well aren't you fucking chipper.

Sigh... fpbp.

Good. A few more years and it might be better than winXP. As long as it's stable outside a VM it's a win.

So how does it compare to windows 98, windowsXP, and windows 7 respectively right now?

>try live cd version on laptop
>bluescreen
>try bootable version in vmware
>install vmware tools
>bluescreen on boot
maybe next version

The point of ReactOS is not to become a full desktop OS, but to develop useful tools for running Windows programs in WINE or other emulators. It will eventually be a usable OS but since Windows is free to torrent that's not a big deal.

I applaud for the effort of this and I don't mind giving it a test on a virtual machine, but I would look forward at ReactOS if it let me play games supported until DirectX 11.

Reactos is real windows from remnants of open source vax or windows nt

They only *now* moved to github?

tried it (virtualbox though) and got same result
>irql_not_less_or_equal
event he nightly build results in the same
havent seen that screen on a decade or so, so im not sure on what it might be (maybe some other time ill debug it)

>but since Windows is free to torrent
Not even that. Windows 10 is basically free to download and install.

>The oldest bug fixed was CORE-2366 . "Rapps: modify link does not work". Reported 10 years ago.
the absolute state of freetards

>it took Microsoft 10 years to even discover a bug
The absolute state of proprietarycucks

fuck me currysoft was incompetent even when Billy was running the company

no it's not

Imho it's a big bump from 0.4.6. I almost got a XY chart created in libreoffice. (it was there, but wrongly sized).

One filter design software package seemed to work perfectly, one plc programming tool seems to have an event loop when a sub window got maximized (mostly fail), sumatra pdf just worked. The gui seemed to freeze, at times, but I never had to kill the vm.

getting damn close to working for me.

It is.

Well, it can play better gayms if you care about those

youtube.com/watch?v=Ljw3qmBk6zs
youtube.com/watch?v=xbsTFBYhLBA
youtube.com/watch?v=Ii4bircrQtg

Well, it's nice knowing it can run games at all, but I was thinking on emulating in general and running a few worthwhile PC games on ReactOS. For example, can it handle well running Dolphin and others emulators?

Well how about you stop being niggers and donate.

>"Giving em money will make em work faster and smarter... right?"

Left.

Actually, yes

>still no AC97 driver

Nope, bug reporting is probably more helpful

y tho

What did you do?

Installed opera 12 and opened google

I saw a vid of it running NFS Carbon, how does it do it? do they have their own implementation of directx? do they use wine? if they use wine then why even bother when you can just.... use wine in linux...

They use wine directX to openGL
I have no idea which GPUs have usable drivers for reactos though

Maybe try another browser?

Yeah it uses components of wine. But they have you install windows GPU drivers, I don't know exactly how that works.

Oh look

shame about the crappy icons

Ehm, now 1 with PureOS? Librem soon.

ReactOS is a server OS

win95 theme all day my dude

it couldn't handle googles javascript bitcoin miner :^)

>"Hey, guys!Why don't we try a barely functional linux-based OS?"
autismlevel(high).jpg

>linux-based

Peasant.

>firefox installs update to latest XP version
>freezes system

Virtualbox additions now seem to work

wish I could contribute

OpenGL stuff seems to work, not sure if it is done in software or hardware though

I guess it doesn't handle heavy browsers. Try Midori.

samefag

Contributing code is always more valuable than contributing funds for a software project.

There must be a script that just takes a windows directory and pulls all the ico files for it right?

No

>wanting proprietary icons

>the absolute state of all NT implementations
10 years later I'll make a correction post mentioning compatibility layers

Install impression eyes
ipfs.io/ipfs/Qmb5QoHsJS9z5UWFCznH8NoA7KWvAgTXjnjeMqpP5ByTd7/ImeSetup.exe

I'm pretty sure they're all in one folder, or at least available online.

Tango icon scheme was fucking great.

Oh shit, I might not have much reason to stay on Native Windows. The only other thing might be Foobar2000.

sad!

Now it doesn't werk anymore.

ReactOS is still unstable and alpha quality

They've just started to become really complete in the last few years

>at the moment
That's going to be a lot of compatibility if they add the ability to run 16 bit, 32bit, and 64 bit all at once.

There's a 16 bits version?

If it can browse the internet, view images, and play audio+video media, I'm pretty much set.

WINE had working win 3.x support, no idea what's broken here

16 bit applications.

This is a wild guess but I wonder if it has to do with interop with other applications. I don't remember if WINE has a method of IPC across all bounderies, like if you were to make a pipeline like this C:\>16bit.exe | 32bit.exe | 64bit.exe > out.txt but maybe React wants that to be possible, like it is with 32bit 64bit in Windows. If that makes any sense.

Can't do anything of this without lag, freezes, and crashes

It's like the good old days of XP ricing.

>not to become a full desktop OS, but to develop useful tools for running Windows programs in WINE or other emulators
So how is it different from WINE then?

I remember it being spooky, like unofficial customization could lead to broken shells. I guess it's still kind of like that though. I think I mostly used bblean and didn't mess with it too much.

1000x this, for any open source project. Much of the reason many people work on open source projects like these to begin with, is because they're interested in the project regardless of monetary incentives.
Money is great when it allows devs to focus full time on a project, but until donations get to that point, they don't necessarily affect much, unless it's to fund the costs of specific tools/hardware/services. So the biggest way to move a project forward until it becomes sustainable is really through bug reports and code contributions.

I recommend installing donkey.exe in your reactOS, it will greatly improve the experience
mega.nz/#!nRJESZbb!IK6xJ7-6qgFR6ZpVm7ocHpR7gLVjl9QJMftpyEGmhyE

>like unofficial customization
To be fair I remember reading you could put all the themes that exist for XP without patching shit like with UxStyle, because ReactOS already has all those required modifications by default.

WINE is not an entire OS.

ReactOS is made to be fully native, as in supporting native Windows drivers.

That's handy if they're willing to maintain a feature like that.

ReactOS is a full operating system, like PureDarwin.

There's a reason OpenDarwin was shut down and ReactOS is not a WINE container project even if it shares its DirectX/WinAPI code with WINE.

How do I activate this shit though?

To be fair they also need the money. With enough money, they will stop being wageslaves, and will dedicate all their time on developing ReactOS.
That's wouldn't be that hard, considering how the core of the team are basically made of less than 10 people. They just need more sponsors.

:^)

As far I know, it has compatibility options. I think it is exactly as the compatibility mode in XP.

>2017
>no thumbnails in explorer

Open darwin is now puredarwin

Are you all retarded or something?

What any such project needs is more devs.
If there's enough money, you can hire them.

I'm real curious what happens. They probably just accept the system calls but always return SUCCESS or something.

who cares, it has nogaems

lamp-post on a mountain peak, has tears coming off its nose.jpg

Were you saying?