/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Liquid Nitrogen Cooling Edition

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1
>Things you should know before building a workstation
pugetsystems.com/

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>G4560/G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Consider Vega 56 for a Freesync monitor
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gNhvmP8yNE4
pcpartpicker.com/list/KB6kpb
pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#r=256001440&p=1&A=1
youtube.com/watch?v=t_e1WxpBOMw
wecravegamestoo.com/forums/monitor-reviews-discussion/15713-best-144hz-240hz-monitors.html#post1357728
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/dLFrzM
youtube.com/watch?v=GJGJ0RzPyL0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

If I overpay for a 6gb 1060 gpu would it last me more than a 3 gb one if I use 1080p monitor and I am talking 3-4 years ?

i have to say, intels new boxed cooling solution for skylake-x looks great!

youtube.com/watch?v=gNhvmP8yNE4

Gimme a TLDR nigga aint nobody got time to watch a 26 minute video on fucking graphic cards

yes it absolutely is worth it to go for the 6gb model

adsfa

This finally came in--shuck or keep stock?

It probably still wouldn't let the hottest chips stay cool because the toothpaste inside them acts as a heatsink of sorts

why do people buy these so much?
aren't internal drives superior?

fucking DDR4 prices guys

do I _really_ need a ryzen 7? I sometimes do things that need multiple threads, but most of the time I'm just gaming, and I'd probably appreciate more single thread performance.
I do need a fuckload of RAM though, that's one of my big issues with upgrading.
tl;dr Ryzen 5 1600x or Ryzen 7 of some kind

because they're afraid to take apart their computer or they're normies and only have laptops
my mom got one of those last year and knocked it off the table it was on the day she got it

WHY DOES RAM COST SO MUCH

what do you have now

1600x nigga

if you really needed a ryzen 7, you wouldn't be so fucking hesitant about it in the first place. AM4 lasts until 2020, so you can always sell the 1600x and upgrade to an improved 8 core ryzen by then.

pcpartpicker.com/list/KB6kpb
most of the time I'm using over 12GB, but I really can't afford a 32gb kit of DDR4 at the moment

No, chances are you'd be fine with a half decade old i5. The question is what performance you want and how much you're willing to cough up for it. How are we supposed to tell you what you need, you don't even mention what you're doing.

why does biostar make the only microATX X370 board?
the one thing AMD boards have never been good at is "enthusiast" features on boards other than ATX

Need a monitor recommendation for use with a 1080ti. Looking for 1440p 144hz, no idea on the rest. Budget is 400 but can stretch. Will do mostly gaming and highly prefer lower latencies.

>search newegg with those parameters
>Read the reviews

Is this comment true?

How important is having an IPS panel to you?

>4.2 GHz
>Liquid nitrogen
What is this meme?

This is all you will ever need for gaming.

the fuck am I supposed to do with 2 cores

*stutters violently*

Get a 1600X and overclock it

2 CORES? DRRRRUUUUUUUMMMMMPPPPFFFF

I have no idea about the technicalities of monitors. I know there are different panel types but i have no idea which one is best for me.

The funny thing is that pentium performs better than my current cpu (I5 450m)

pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#r=256001440&p=1&A=1

These are basically the best monitors you can buy right now, assuming you also want a display that is capable of G-Sync. One thing to note is that you'll be joining display lottery since all those monitors are basically using the same panel which is manufactured bei AU Optronics. I'd stay away from the Asus one since it's the most expensive but Asus also seems to have the worst QC from what I've heard.
The AOC one is relatively cheap so I'd check it out. Got the Viewsonic for 550€ last night, hope I don't get fucked over by massive backlight bleed.

>Overclocking a 1600x
It's like 2% better than a 1600 on average

TN panels have less lag and better response times but worse colors and viewing angles than IPS panels, that's basically the gist of it. Unless you're a competitive gamer I'd say having an IPS panels is far superior for gaming and general use.

Is there any major difference between the AOC and the other ones? They seem to be identical.

I won this the other day, just waiting for it to arrive:

youtube.com/watch?v=t_e1WxpBOMw

Congratulation. You won the gay.

The difference isn't that big right? I heard TN is only a bit faster (which is all that is needed in competitive gaming), if that's true it seems like a waste to get TN unless you only play cs and do nothing else.

I'm not a fan of overkill RGB but the specs are great.

He could change the case

Not really. Like I've said, they all use the same panel which is from the exact same manufacturer (AU Optronics). The mainly differentiate in terms of build quality, ergonomic and on screen displays. When it comes to performance they are almost identical, but these differences do not justify paying $200 extra.

You retarded cocksucker. I don't want the liquid cooler because of functionality. I want it for the looks. Suck my whole ass faggot ass piece of shit trying to smug on me for my preference and the way I spent my earned money.

Exactly, IPS panels are way superior for mixed usage (gaming, browsing, editing, watching anime/tv shows/movies).

I bet you like Noctua aesthetics.

This thread sums it up perfectly:

wecravegamestoo.com/forums/monitor-reviews-discussion/15713-best-144hz-240hz-monitors.html#post1357728

"The Viewsonic XG2703-GS uses a 27" 2560x1440 resolution 8 Bit AUO AHVA panel (M270DAN02.3), a nearly grain free matte coating, has excellent color presets, a nice dark matte grey bezel which increases the perceived black depth (dark matte grey is the best), very fast pixel response times and a 165hz refresh rate. G-Sync (compatible Nvidia GPU required) works from 30-165hz/FPS, and eliminates screen tearing and lag. The Viewsonic XG2703-GS also has ULMB (back-light strobing, excellent 1080p scaling unlike the Asus PG279Q, and superior 60hz overdrive with less overshoot ghosting than the Acer XB271HU. The Viewsonic XG2703 is the best all around 27" 1440p AHVA 144-165hz monitor with Nvidia G-Sync for PC and console gaming, and watching 1080p content, as well as preset color accuracy wise.

The AOC AG271QG barely edges out the Acer XB271HU for second place (the AOC has slightly better preset color accuracy and 60hz overdrive) while the Asus PG279Q comes in third. They all support Nvidia G-Sync (native 144hz; can be overclocked to 165hz), have a nearly grain free matte coating, use AUO AHVA panels which offers far better colors and viewing angles than TN panels, and have an HDMI input. The Acer XB270HU comes in fourth place since it uses an AHVA panel with the same coating, but it uses a glossy black bezel which ruins the perceived black depth (Microsoft Paint Example & Monitor Example), only has one input (Displayport), and has marginally slower pixel response times than the other AHVA panels with G-Sync. Unfortunately the 27" 1440p matte AHVA panels suffer from poor quality control; back-light bleed and unique issues like yellow/brown stains in the corners are common."

So, despite the lower price, the AOC one seems to outperform Acer and ASUS ever so slightly. You can't really go wrong with either of them though.

What are your plans? Are you going to disassemble it or use it as it is?

That makes sense. Any specific reason you got the Viewsonic over the AOC, or just personal preference?

Because it usually goes for around 800€ in Germany and I managed to find one for 550€ bucks. It's all about which one you can find the cheapest (even though I'd still stay away from ASUS).

Really? This true?

Use as is tbf, I sold my gaming PC a couple of months ago as it was on it's last legs so I sold it whilst it still worked...

Specs were
Amd 9590 with 2 cores turned off otherwise system wouldn't boot or work at all
16Gb DDR3 G skills ram can't remember mhz
cheap kingston SSD
2x 1TB cheap drives
Crosshair IV
AMD 290 (not x)
Corsair h100i gtx

So this is a pretty decent upgrade for me, I was having to use my server as a workstation which isn't ideal... So winning this was fucking great.

Will I have issues if I swap SSD with Windows 7 that was installed on an Intel system to a new Ryzen system without reinstalling?

Yes

**WILL BE USING HARD DRIVE FROM CURRENT PC**
please rate/ recommend any improvements or changes

bretty gud
Maybe consider an SSD, if not now then later.

Lawfag whose computer came with an illegal copy of Windows 10 here. I contacted the cunt and threatened him to go to court, we sent emails back and forth and he agreed on giving me 40% of my build back. I probably could have gotten better but I can't be bothered overbluffing my hand

You're real hard faggot

Can you guys link me to some solid 1080p builds? I literally have 0 interest in 1440p and 4k.
Also sorry for trying to get spoonfed

exactly what i was going to do

Is there any info on when a i5-8400 might become available? I'm trying to decide to wait around for that or go with a ryzen 5 1600 strictly for gaming. Either way I'd be pairing it with a 1060 3gb that was given to me as a gift.

Ryzen 1600 will be the better option

What kind of issues?

Don't listen to Rajesh here Intel is, and always will be better for gaming, by virtue of having better IPC and single core performance.

Pajeets sing the virtues of multicore performance, but not many games actually utilize it, and even less so for multithread. Unless you're a diehard fan of Ashes of Singularity, stick with the 8400. Hell, even an 8350k is really good.

So, I have a 1090t at the moment.

I know the 7700k is a bad choice since that socket is dead and no upgrade path, but it looks like a giant improvement over my 1090t.

My GF does not have a gaming rig, so I figured what I'd do is get the 7700k for now, and when the 9th gen/Ryzen 2 chips come out, get that for myself and pass her down the 7700k. She's more than happy with 60fps @ 1080p on medium-high settings, so I figure the 7700k should last her a long time and would serve as a big improvement over her mobile i7-3630QM. Thoughts?

I'm mainly waiting to see how the next gen of CPUs do. Ryzen 2 is what I'm mainly holding out for unless 9th gen Intel has a better price/performance option.

grow up

Driver mostly, you'll encounter a lot of BSOD. You probably could manually strip the drivers out and implant the right ones but I imagine this would take hours.
Honestly just do a fresh install.

Don't you have a street to poo in?

He's using a 1060 3GB you absolute moron
Any CPU will be basically the same because the card holds him back

The 7700k doesn't have enough threads to last a long time
It's dead and Zen/Coffee Lake are better long-term options

Britbong here, I'll sell you a single stick of 8GB DDR4 for £90.

Yeah, but I mean for her, running 1080p games at 60fps, medium/high settings (Fallout 4, Skyrim), do you think that'd be okay for 3, 4 more years?

I'm getting myself a 9th gen Intel or Ryzen 2 no matter what, so I don't care.

8400 is literally better than 7700k while being cheaper. Why the fuck would anyone still go for 7th gen intels is beyond me.

CPU performance and video settings are independent of each other
You can run a game at ultra or low and CPU performance will stay basically the same

I don't think Intel are supporting Coffee Lake after this release, so 9th gen will need a new motherboard to my knowledge, that's why I'm hesitant to even bother.

You'd be fine with the 3GB model but 6GB is basically insurance

Shuck. 3.5" drives aren't durable enough for transport. plus the power cycles are hard on the drive

R5

Get 165Hz IPS Gsync

Guy is a retard

You have successfully baited /pcbg/

>TN panels have less lag
Not true if you get a165Hz IPS. Response time has nothing to do with lag

Why do you think I said the 8350k is really good?
Rajesh getting awfully grumpy

Does that make it better for gaming? No, it makes it better on some arbitrary scale that's only relevant to you.

freesync vs gsync-- are they practically the same?
it determines my gpu purchase, so...
and ill prob by my monitor second hand-- looking at 1080p/144hz (still debating with myself, think refresh rate is the better preference.)

Of course they fucking wont but you still need a new motherboard so why spend more money on 7700k when you can save and get 8400. I bet its gonna be even easier to sell 8400 since no one want 7700k now who will even want that in a year or two.

It's better for gaming because it still beats Ryzen 5s in the fps benchmarks comfortably, my sad little idiot.

I can only imagine how much you feel like shitting every time a prominent reviewer benchmarks an 8th gen alongside a ryzen.

READ THE STICKY
use Google you monkey

Show me a benchmark with the 1060 3GB where it performs outside of typical margin of error

>changing CPUs every year

>poor

Read the OP, retard

Conjecture / speculation only
Right now 8400 wins hands down
R5 is fine though

8350K loses to the R5 1600
If you're going Coffee Lake budget you get the i3 8100 after the cheap mobos come out
Otherwise you can get more for cheaper with Ryzen

Do not get the i7 7700K unless you can get it for 200USD

8 threads is plenty. The problem is the price of the 7700K

True except that the one setting that affects CPU is draw distance

Nope. Loses in AC:O and that's the only relevant benchmark right now

Rich people don't stay rich by making poor purchasing decisions.

first time fag here
want to build this shit for christmas

de.pcpartpicker.com/list/dLFrzM

is the psu wattage high enough?
eventually i want to oc the cpu

I would opt for a 650-750w model
With that cooler you better overclock the shit out of your 8600k

So i recently put a build together and whenever I have my GPU under load my screen starts stuttering really bad and i get a ton of audio interference from my speakers, which is also present while im in the BIOS. Anyone know what this could be indicating?

Best post of the year.

That's a big ram

>8350K loses to the R5 1600
Nice try Rajesh. Benchmarks don't lie:

youtube.com/watch?v=GJGJ0RzPyL0

Then you should just buy anything then.
If you plan to upgrade in 2-3 years get the 3gb

hello i will receive 280 euros as a Christmas bonus, what kind of monitor can I buy for my PC with that?

I have a GTX 660 graphics card and play video games

I actually receive a full salary as a bonus (496 Euros) but I have to pay my car's annual tax which is 220

Spend it on a new GPU instead.

>full salary
>496 euro
Pls be eastern europe

My monitor is a 22" - 1680x1050 washed out LG from 2008

hello this is grease