How do I learn programming?

>25
>finally graduate from college with a business degree
>now a worthless faggot because I have no actual employable skills but I'm over-qualified for easy jobs
>decide I want to learn coding
>spend a few weeks doing freecodecamp
>get the basic idea but not really enough to get into the programming field

Should I go to tech school and get a Java Web Developer certificate? It takes a year to complete.

Is there another way to learn coding? How did everybody on this board learn?

Other urls found in this thread:

scotthyoung.com/blog/myprojects/mit-challenge-2/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

i learned with a textbook.
read the chapter, solve all the hardest problems in the textbook.

make some projects

make a game or an app or something

Okay what's a good way to get started on that?

From what I've learned on freecodecamp, I wouldn't really know where to start by making something with code. Should I follow some YouTube tutorials?

Do employers just want to see a portfolio?

employers want to see a degree and X years experience in everything on their job posting
they're not going to get that for entry level wages, so you have to convince them your experience is good enough.
If you can't talk your way into a job, you're basically fucked.

Programming is ultimately just a form of engineering. You have an idea for something you want to make, you make a rough design, find the tools and materials you need, plan your development, and start building/implementing.

Your most important asset is your plan. Figure out what you want to make, and all the logic/rules/features that go into it. People bitch about programming interviews and say they don't work on whiteboards. They're codemonkeys, and can only make things people tell them to. Get a piece of paper and plan what you want to make.

The second most important thing is understanding the platform you're building for. If you want to make an android app, read about what goes into that: the hardware, the APIs, the system architecture(what is communicating with what to accomplish what). Read about the structure of some apps you want to imitate, read about it from a totally abstract view that explains the essential features, and do a few different tutorials. Know the functions and limitations of each part of the system, and how they separate concerns and interface with each other. You're likely to run into what are called 'frameworks' at some point here. Basically they're libraries that try to make advanced things easier to do by sacrificing flexibility and transparency and your opportunity to learn. Use them at your discretion: they can get you off the ground faster but they can often be more trouble than they're worth in the long run.

Next most important is the language(s). Read both a 'grammar' and 'style' book for each one you'll use in the project, i.e. a resource that explains language syntax and basic libraries/APIs, and one that explains common language patterns, idioms, and philosophy. You should skim through these and do some small problems or just play around with the code. Almost as important: you'll keep them around for reference.

Cont.

who is this half-negress fluid extractor?

Finally, you need a development environment to learn and program in that you're comfortable with. They basically come down to a few things:
>Text editor
You need features like auto-completion, syntax highlighting, macros... the list goes on and on, and programmers can get very particular about editors. I'd recommend sublime-text to start with, it works quite well out of the box and is intuitive. The more experienced you are the more you begin to drift towards some kind of vim or emacs implementation, but don't bother with that to start with.
>Shell/Debugger
Something you can experiment in with segments of code, and run through your code to look for errors. What you'll have available to you will depend on the language.
>platform emulation
Something that emulates the thing your developing for.
>package manager
Something that manages the language and libraries you're using in your code. All operating systems have at least one that you should be using for your desktop applications anyway, but you should get something similar for packages used in your project. Keeping track of the project files themselves is important too, which brings us to
>version control
Not strictly necessary, but very useful. A program that keeps track of changes to your source code. The proper development workflow is probably making a small change to your project, making sure it works and you don't have to come back to it, then committing it. The most popular one is git.
>misc
You might need to be running many miscellaneous processes/services that work with your app. This is where knowing how to use a console properly is useful, because you can easily run many things out of it, reducing the number of windows/things you have to manage. Git, package mangers, and language shells also run well out of a command line.

You can either get an IDE that combines many of these features into a single program, which might be easier at first, or just combine things together .

Wrong

You can do everything in gedit or notepad.

It's how I started.

Yeah me too. Writing thousands of lines of C and Matlab code in notepad. Eventually found notepad++ and pretty much just used it for tabs.

I wouldn't recommend that though.

You should just keep going to college for the reset of your life.

Also, this just in

Kill yourself.

I fiddled all the time. I'd be doing shit all the time in my free time once I was decent enough. Made a bunch of half assed stupid shit, mostly because I was interested in it, or I wanted to make something that filled a need for myself, etc.

Ultimately that was way more beneficial for me than most of my degree, helped me land a job.

Brittany Venti

First, read a textbook about programming in some language, then manuals for several programming languages including Lisp. If this makes natural intuitive sense to you, that indicates your mind is well-adapted towards programming.

If they don't make intuitive sense to you, I suggest you do something other than programming. You might be able to do programming to some degree with a struggle, but if you find it a struggle you won't be very good at it. What's the point of programming if it is a struggle instead of a fascination?

After that, you need to read the source code of real programs (or parts of them) and figure out what they do. Then start writing changes in them, to add features, or fix bugs if you can find out about specific bugs to fix. Ask some good programmers who are familiar with the code of those programs to read and critique your changes.

If you fix a bug in a free program that people are developing, the developers are likely to be glad to get fixes from you and will tell you the way to write them to make them good to install. Look at their TODO list for features you woulod like to implement. You will find it is a great satisfaction when the developers incorporate your changes.

Do this over and over and you will become good at developing software.

Please use your programming capability only for good, not for evil. Don't develop nonfree software, or service as a software substitute. Design systems not to collect personal information, and to allow anonymous use.

First by not posting pics of mulatto whores

I mean, OP could just fall for the VSCode/Sublime meme and be set for life

sublime text is nonfree software. Start with vim or emacs.

That's not a very cute boy.

Thank you for promoting free software

Damn, Brittany's thicc

>get the basic idea but not really enough to get into the programming field

Oh no you fucking didn't. You only learned """"""""""""""coding"""""""""""""""" kid, you have no idea about PROGRAMMING only about what pajeet does.

>be 18 years old with no computer knowledge
>Get drafted into the military, get a cybersec course because I have good grades
>Get tired of security and sysadmin so I try to learn programming by myself
>Go to a professional Java course
>Finish course, Now learning Node.js, Android Python and more by myself and makibg projecta with dev friends

is this a female (male)?

>I'm over-qualified for easy jobs
Don't flatter yourself. Walmart will still take you.

>tfw grossly lied about qualifications freshman year of University to secure a sysadmin internship
>Small company only one person above me
>Somehow bullshit enough to obtain a promotion
>Realize I've learned everything I've claimed to know by direct experience from this job

You guys are all doing it wrong, just fake it till you make it. Now sitting comfy with a 110k/yr AWS sysadmin position and I get my bachelor's next year.

Trap

I started learning coding using a book and I became a better person after wearing girls clothes.
Now I'm hired but people call me miss? I'm guy ffs!!

wrong again.
You need OS + bootloader + compiler + editor.
pff! newfag.

that just makes it better :^)

>business degree
How do you even fuck up this badly, OP?

She's unfortunately not a trap. It has a vagina and decently sized breasts. Sorry.

>business degree with no internships or jobs lined up
fucking millenials

No. It's a regular female, the best kind.

Go be trapfags somewhere else. This is just a regular female.

scotthyoung.com/blog/myprojects/mit-challenge-2/

Anyone has her look alike chaturbate video link? for hmm research purposes...

>ide forget text edtior
>ide has debugger
>Github for vcs