/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

kakaku.com/item/K0000921597/
ozbargain.com.au/node/347687
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What's the second best headphone behind the MA900?

the ma900 is the best headphone in the world and feet are the best

I wholeheartedly agree with both of those statements

you can't meme at all

Are you, dare I say, somewhat irritated yet?

Doesn't bother me. Also:
>IP count: 3

Just me, you, and anonymous. That's correct :^)

just bought DT770 Pro 80 ohm for 175$ CAD

how did I do?

Do I NEED an amp? What would be a good low budget one to power those babies?

>how did I do?
good

>do i need an amp
no. try it out with your setup first

Man the clamping on my ATH-M50 has started giving me headaches recently.

God bless these phones. I've had them for 5(?) years now and they still look brand spankin new, but every time I start wearing them regularly the clamping pain just gets unbearable.

Any suggestions to help with clamping, maybe even specifically with the M50? I thought of putting some foam around the headband and upgrading the earpads but I don't wanna ruin the aesthetic of the phones rigging shit onto it and I don't know what pads might help most.

>how did I do?
Poorly. They're shit.

Elaborate.

I want to lick their legs

I want to lick her feet

>Budget
< ¥30,000, kinda flexible
>Location
Tokyo, Japan
>Source
Might purchase Dragonflys
>Type of headphone
Over-ear, prefer open but closed is fine
>Comfort level
As much as possible
>Past headphones
hyperx cloud ii..

The sennheiser HD600 does not need an amp, and is completely fine off of onboard sound.

HD600 gets pretty loud on my ALC1150.

kakaku.com/item/K0000921597/

ALC 1150 has nothing to do with that.

Your board has an amp. Audioboost 3 on MSI boards use the OPA1623 amp. Asus SupremeFX also has a cheap TI amp on it.

>tfw the TF10s I thought were dead in one ear for the past year actually work after I plugged them in on a random whim

you might have connector problems
be careful with it

what are the best IEMs for $100 ? need something to listen to on the go

mk5's

Stop with the furshit in OP

Yeah, they're old as fuck since I bought them when Amazon used to sell them for $99 on Black Friday like 4-6 years ago.

Maybe I'll reshell them or something.

Etymotic HF5.

I just bought Logitech G933, did I do good? Also does anyone know if Avionic headset are good for gaming/listening to music? I have Sennheiser S1 Passive that I've been thinking of using it for my PC but I have to buy a 3.5mm adapter for it.

What is the second best headphone behind the HD600?

poorly sealed HD660s :v)

Anyone else get their HE-4XX 's recently? It's probably just my pair but the right can makes this tinny tapping noise when i make sudden movements with my jaw or head.

Other than that, holy shit the mids and bass are amazing.

Does it make the sound when you tap on the earcup? My old 400i also had that problem. Just Hifiman QC for you.

Yeah it does. Not really a huge issue if I'm listening at a reasonable volume. I just obsessed over it for the first night using them.

>using the smiley with the carat nose
>using a picture of the smiley with the carat nose

Late, but most importantly, wrong again :^)
Which are poorly sealed MA900s, btw

>using the smiley with the carat nose

How do I get replacement cushions for my ATH M50x?

Had a car accident a few months back that did some damage to my neck. Now my corsair vengeance 2100 feel a bit heavy on my neck after a brief use(starts to hurt a bit after nearly an hour). Is there a decent pair of lightweight wireless headphones that anyone can recommend?

Audeze LCD-4

Does having noise canceling as a feature reduce the quality of the headphones?

Idol trash here.
What's your setup like, user?

Anybody own the Status CB-1?

I'm looking for a replacement for the ATH-M40x that died on me. I opened it up but I really don't have the know-how to troubleshoot it much.

I was quite fond of the open-back design and how it fit. Looks really similar on that end. The sound signature was something else I liked but I feel like I missed out on the M50 bass. I don't need beats bass but maybe a little more colored on that end. I wouldn't mind a more fun sounding set of headphones after having such neutral pairs. I still have my Sony MDRV6s but they're way too analytical for the majority of what I listen to.

I'll fill out the template just in case:

>Budget
~80 USD
>Location
USA
>Source
Diamond USB Amp/Dac
>Type of headphone
Over-ear
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Enough for 4+ hour sessions daily. I don't have a big head or ears.
>Sound signature
Neutral to V-shaped
>Past headphones
ATH-M40x
Sony MDR-V6

>paying $100 more for anime branding for IEMs available for $60 on eBay

I would rather buy miophones desu

But the ebay ones don't have anime branding...

So today I tried LCD-X with a shitty portable amp.
It was comparatively horrible, and barely an upgrade from my dt1770.

If anyone's ready to move past headphones, JBL LSR305s are ridiculously cheap on ebay right now, like $160/pair. They're great active speakers and that is the absolute lowest I've ever seen them.

>Beyerdynamic
>At first, you don't like them
>But you say to yourself "this gonna need some break in and adaptation"
>Days pass
>You like them more and more
>You start listening louder and louder
>You think "amazing headphone, but could play louder"
>You have hearing loss from high treble
>You look for other brands, but all sound like shit

Thanks for the tip, just picked up a pair. Looking forward to see how it will perform in the ultimate hybrid setup (earbud + over-ear headphone + speaker).

Also will need maki stickers to put on them, anyone know where to get?

Not headphone but speaker but need to ask to make sure.

Logitech Z623 vs Z337. I think the Z623 are because they are THX and higher watt.

Everything up to your fifth meme arrow is true. I don't listen loud, which is part of why I prefer closed cans.
Granted, the LCD-X was really more "present" in every part of the spectrum, the submarine feeling was gone, and the separation was superior. But the amplifier was bottlenecking it hard, and that is just sad for my wallet if I ever pull the trigger on actual hi-fi.
The thing that kinda disappointed me was the soundstage. Not that much larger than the one of closed beyers', and I'm listening to one right now. I expected more of an open headphone, but again maybe thats just my shitty crosstalk-y amp.
I still love my beyers to no end.

Well yes but then mummy will hear my girly nipponese idol music and make fun of me and tell me to grow up and get a job.
No thanks!

I recommend not logitech. And if you are really set on logitech then get whichever is cheapest because it's all the same garbage.

ozbargain.com.au/node/347687 this is pretty cheap for oz.

What headphone is this? Can't read shit on this grainy pic.

sony mdr 7506

Audezes have small soundstages on average, but EQ can somewhat fix. The amp may or may not have been good enough, as the LCDX is pretty easily driven.

The volume was such i had to reduce it a bit from maximum or my ears were hurting. This was coming from a 1.2v dragonfly black.

are those penguins? hot

DFB doesn't measure so good so maybe. Not sure either way.

Neither. Get the fucking JBL LSR305s. They play down to 43 Hz.

I wouldn't pay $10 for this. Add $20 more and buy set of 2.0 edifiers from amazon.
Logitech 2.1 speakers are literally the shittiest speakers you can buy, period. Actually this applies to all logitech speakers. Their """satellites""" sound like complete fucking ass with single driver that can't even produce any half decent sound, and subwoofers fart out loud niggerbass that is in no way close to how actual bass should sound.
Number 1 rule of buying speakers is to not buy logitech and bose speakers.

Seconded. Logitech speakers are terrible. They're toys.
lsr305 are proper near-field monitors. Like night and day.

Logitech's audio equipment is usually terrible. I got a pair of their gayman headphones on clearance and they distort really badly at higher volume or with heavy bass.

You could have flushed your bills down the toilet.
That'd been better, as at least you wouldn't have to suffer the sound of their headphones.

>JBL LSR305s
The Z263 are $88 at the moment and the JBL are about $500 in Australia.

The R1280T is $120 (which isn't bad) so I'll probably consider those.

5 years and they're still stiff? Amazing.
I've put mine around a tissue box overnight. That made them too loose for my liking but the hard clamping was gone.
Try finding something like that.

Tissue boxes are awesome.

>The R1280T is $120 (which isn't bad) so I'll probably consider those.
You should. Edifier speakers are actually the only PC speakers in this price range that I consider a "proper speakers". They are not exactly 100% flat and monitor like, but compared to creative, logitech, bose and all that shit, there is no comparison.
If you can I would suggest r1600 tiii, slightly better and tilted up, which makes placement easier as you don't need stands or pads. Read up on how to position speakers, long story short triangle with speakers facing you and high frequency driver should be on ear level or tilted up towards ears.
You can consider one of BT options if that's your thing, I never did because it's downgrade for me.

What does playing a 20Hz file while fiddling with volume control sound like for you, /hpg/?
I hear constant cracking, left/right channel imbalance, and driver rattle... don't try this, it will depress you.

I bought cheap chinese pleather replacements for them not too long ago.

The foam/filling on it is quite thick and now that you mentioned this I realize maybe these thick pads stretch the band a bit more and might be causing the clamping. The pleather is hardening as well so it's not as cushy.

Might just need to invest in better pads.

I just get vibrations and clean 20hz. LCD-2. I get huge amounts of 3rd harmonic distortion on my earbuds though.

>3rd harmonic distortion
How do you hear that

I measured it with a mic and simulated it by playing one 100hz and one -20dB 300hz tone and compared the timbres.

How different are the 598 to the 599 or 579? I am considering upgrading. I currently have a dt770 and a 598se. Also a Phillips SHP9500.

I am looking for something bright for gaming. I am pretty much set for music. I found the 598 se was the best for gaming so far. I can hear footsteps pretty well.

Also whoever recommended the SHP9500 for bright headphones is a liar. Extremely muddy and distorted compared to the dt770 and 598 (of course... they are like a 100 bucks more)

interesting

Also how are the Sony MDRV6 compared to the hd 598?

We electrostat now.

God these sound delicious.

Okay, Sup Forumsoys, the hd6xx's just arrived and im listening to them through the classic magni 3, modi 2 combo, playin' straight outta music bee with brian eno. First impressions are that these headphones are tight as shit, and that I'm not blown away by the sound, but I can hear a difference for sure. A bunch of people online say it may take a while to notice the real advantage so I guess I'll wait a few days before i start regretting anything. I will say though, right off the bat that i notice the bass seems to go lower.

hd 598 are clearer compared to the mdrv6. 598 is a straight upgrade.

>MA900
Low fidelity garbage. No sub-bass. No upper mids.
This.

CB-1 or XPT100

First time buying proper headphones, I'd like to get noise-cancelling headphones for studying and commuting.
>Budget
200€, maybe a little more but not 100€ more
>Location
Switzerland but can buy in the EU
>Source
PC, phone, maybe more if I need to
>Type of headphone
Over-ear
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort
Important, I don't have huge ears but I should be able to listen to music for (3+ hours) long study sessions.
>Sound signature
Neutral or V-shaped

I checked the guide and the 200$ sennheiser look good. Is there somethung better? Should I spend a little more for better quality?

If you want the best ANC then get bose but it might be out of your budget, else the Senns are fine.

Yeah I'd rather not have to dish out more than $300 for headphones, 200 bucks would be ideal. Thanks for your advice.

I recently bought a Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro and I love them and don't want to give up on them, but I've noticed a crackling/rumbling sound on the left driver/speaker at lower frequencies and bass heavy parts of songs. This was only present in the left one.

So I ordered a replacement, on the replacement the same problem is present but this time it happens at an even lower volume and on both drivers/speakers, but the right one crackles/rumbles more.

I drive them with a Sound Blaster Zx, and I've tried directly into the card and plugged into the extension that comes with it. The problem persists no matter what.

Is the case here that I've received 2 faulty headphones, or something else like a hair, which I doubt since I literally just opened them.

Any help you on my problem at all would be nice.

>HD598 to HD579 (HD599 is the same FR but more expensive and, if you believe reviewers, worse)
A sidegrade, absolutely not worth doing.
>upgrade path for HD598?
HD600, absolutely worth it.

Wired or wireless headphones? Looking for something for my TV mostly, but will probably use it for my computer and phone as well.

Any major difference besides the obvious?

Looking at Philips SHC8800
$149 AUD
But with %20 off it's $119 AUD

Among other good deals the jamo c10 is at $99 each on amazon

For starters, connect them elsewhere than this computer, and try again.
If it's an issue with the sound card, you might want to get an external headphone amp, such as the magni3 ($99).

Do they sound ethereal? :^O

best headphones for fps games? and best headphones for hiphop?

no intend to buy just curious

Without taking into account any current trends in buying, what are the best headphones for price and sound quality superior to my white earbuds that came with my samsung phone?

And, what are the best and cheapest wireless headphones/earbuds I can get regardless of sound quality?

Thanks for the quick response. I'll try that out.

Could the problem be that they just can't handle the low frequencies? They should be able to handle 5Hz but they crack like a bitch around even 40Hz

Looking for some Bright headphones and leaning towards an hd600 vs dt880. Which is good for what?

Also wtf is the difference between the pro vs premium dt880?

>ComfyGrados_and_ZMFshill.png

premium just means nobody of colour touched you headphones, yes i am serious.

some are made in russia/north africa and preimum is made in the states

Probably HD800. For hip hop maybe the Fostex TH900.
SHP9500. And for bluetooth in-ears the cheap Aukey Latitude.
If you want a bright headphone get the DT880. Difference between pro and premium is that the pro has a coiled cable and has a higher clamp.
Ignore this post.

This, but remember to get the 250 version. It is the brightest of the 3.