Has anyone else experienced this problem? I noticed there’s was some form of material on the back of my new CPU fan...

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I noticed there’s was some form of material on the back of my new CPU fan, and I was wondering if I should clean it but if the material should be there on purpose I should avoid it

anime thread

Pls no I just want help please this is my first pc build

that's delicious candy they add so you can have a quick snack while building your computer

It's a protective layer for the copper. You have to clean it off before mounting the cooler, and you have a few minutes before the copper starts reacting with the air.

Doubt

If you remove that seal your warranty is void. Don't be an idiot and don't remove it whatever people might say.

it's thermal paste

it's a mini pizza you can eat it

>on the back of my new CPU fan
>pic shows a heatsink, but the OP says fan
OP, do clarify
but if it's the heatsink, yeah, that's pre-applied thermal paste

Its the glue that holds it in place on the cpu. Its there so you dont have to screw it in

I see that fucking hair
Did you drop it on carpet or what op

NO PEDO

Clean it off and put some decent paste on there.

You have to clean it off and put thermal paste, or mayo, between the socket and the processor.

Note: "Mayo" is the industry term. You have to use Miracle Whip

> he dosn't use high performance thermal mustard

this

this distinction is actually important

pleb doesn't even know what a heatsink is don't tell him about the fucking mustard.

>paste under the cpu pins
for what purpose?

The reason that heat-sink has crystals is due to the thermal paste preparing to cool itself via. chemically reactive power. You see the CPU doesn't actually do the processing in a computer (the heatsink does).
Ever wonder why you just place a CPU on top of a socket instead of connecting it electrically? That's why, the heatsink on the otherhand requires thermal paste for a chemical reaction of power, and a cabled length of power via the motherboard.
You don't pay for the power in a CPU, you pay for the PASSTHROUGH of power from the heatsink to the motherboard via. surface conduction of electricity.

To keep the pins cool so they don't degrade over time

Do you want to burn the fuck out of your CPU pads?

>all these fucking trolls

I've rebuilt a couple old pcs. What you don't want to do is remove the thermal paste. If you run a computer without the thermal paste it won't transmit the heat well enough and your cpu will overheat. I learned that the hard way.

>making OP believe your trolling by calling others trolls
impressive technique

That's bullshit the paste is for conducting heat. If anything that would cause it to burn out more. Not to mention interfere with the cpu connection through the pins.

nvm about the last comment. I failed to realize it's Hellman's mayonnaise. Good to go.

There is a lot of bullshit and trolls in this thread, but the posts linked here below covered much of the need-to-knows.

- The paste on the fan/heatsink is protective sealant for the copper. It's there to prevent it from corroding before mounting it to the cpu shell (which afterwards you won't have to worry about corrsion then because the interaction between the metals produce a galvanizing effect that nuls corrosion of the fan copper). You clean it off before mounting. Be sure to get it all off.

-Fan/heatsink aside, before mounting you cpu to your motherboard, you need to apply thermal paste like shown in the gif, though it is preferable that you fill it and then spread it with your finger so that it covers the entire pin tray on the motherboard. This helps to cool the cpu properly as mentioned here and also it will help to prevent corrosion. Rub it in thoroughly with your thumb so that the entire pin tray and the pins are covered.

We can guide you through the process if you post pics of where you at and what your concerns are.

reported

Rule nr.7:
Submitting false or misclassified reports, or otherwise abusing the reporting system may result in a ban. Replying to a thread stating that you've reported or "saged" it, or another post, is also not allowed.

reported

Why do you shit up this thread and report/troll the (almost) only worthwhile answer in the thread? We are trying to help OP and your posts contribute nothing.

There is no fan pictured you massive faggot.

this thread has become trash don't do any of the things in this thread unless you want to destroy your cpu / socket

what's wrong with his answer? it's the most helpful reply in this thread. there is a lot of trolls, like and , but is definitely a good reply.

op don't listen to this retard he has obviously never even built a pc before

that isn't thermal paste guys. look at the fucking picture
that is like a damn sticker or some shit

see