/sqt/ - stupid questions thread (ask your stupid questions here)

previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

waifu2x.udp.jp/
amazon.com/dp/B072XCZSSW
amazon.com/dp/B00KYCSRQI
amazon.com/GW2470HM-23-8-inches-Black-computer-monitor/dp/B01JIQ86FM/
pcpartpicker.com/list/HJsrzM
amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-32-inch-Wide-Viewing-Display/dp/B01FGCJBGK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1512638702&sr=1-1&keywords=hp pavilion 32q
amazon.com/LG-27UD58-B-27-Inch-Monitor-FreeSync/dp/B01IRQAYPE
github.com/jaagr/polybar/wiki/User-contributed-modules#weather-icons
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/WindowTimers/setInterval
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Where's the best tutorial to dual boot windows and linux?

ask ubuntu

What is the best and least botnet browser? No extreme autist answers like lynx please, something with javascript and active development but won't phone home or keep anonymous data

Pale moon or one of the 20 other firefox forks

on unix or unix-like machines, is there a method other than netstat that allows the ability to view computers connected to you, or your router? what would the terminal command(s) be?

>live in Florida
>hurricane happens
>power kept going on and off while using PC
>don't have a UPS
>booting has taken much longer since then >namelyy the boot logo part lasts for ~10 seconds before OS launches
Does this mean the electrical outages fucked up my motherboard, or could something else be the culprit? I also have a hard drive that's older and has been freezing a lot in explorer recently. This has me conflicted on whether it's the mobo or HDD.

my laptop has been saying plugged in not charging once it reaches 80%. thought it was the battery, but i bought a brand new one and it still happens.

the fuck else could be making this happen?

arp-scan, pretty easy

arp-scan -localnet

Test

Honestly all I wanted was to inflate an image 2x in waifu2x then feed it to pnggauntlet while I slept, but waifu2x.udp.jp/ redirects to an ubultu default page, so I downloaded waifu2x from github and it shows me all this.

All I did was change "Denoise level" from 0 to 2, since I believe waifu2x's default settings had that on two. Are these the default settings of waifu2x? For that matter are the default settings of waifu2x even the best for use on anime pics? I will probably rush to run this through it then feed the output to pnggauntlet and hop to bed, but thanks to anyone who replies to me in my sleep, if they do.

What is the most efficient way to gather wireless info for conky?
It seems to be using deprecated iwconfig.

nope never mind my piece of shit laptop needs a "CUDA" driver to convert so I guess I'm sleeping on no progress tonight after 20 mins of staying awake. I guess I'm sleeping on no progress tonight. Thanks for any feedback anyway if I get any.

Alright /sqt/ I'm at my wits end. As of late my pc has had this issue where the monitors will freeze for like 3-5 minutes but background noises and music still plays and I'm able to move my mouse but that's it, that's all I can do. So I double checked my gpu drivers, I power cycled my ssd thinking it might be Windows, I've tried to do a factory reset and a system restore but Windows tell me no changes were made and that the system restore failed. I've tried using a restore point but every restore point failed. I took it to a pc shop but Guams pc stores kinda suck and they told me it would either be the drivers which I already checked or the psu. So after that I checked my drivers again, and I've also swapped out my gtx1070 for my old gtx970 but it didn't even turn on. So this weekend I'm gonna test it with a buddies psu. I'm not sure what else to do or try. What are your thoughts

Using my own un/pw on my win10 pc consistently logs me into defaultuser0 instead of my normal user, tried messing with folder extensions in regedit but didn't fix it, anyone know what the deal is?

I'm about to pull the trigger on either a VA or IPS as a second monitor (mainly for browsing and watching videos). I already have a great TN as a main which I use for everyday stuff and gaming. Now I've only ever had a TN monitor and I'm not entirely sure which one would suit me best. I'm not sure if I should rather get an IPS with superior color brilliance and lower contrast or an VA with better contrast in trade for worse colors and possibly ghosting. Which one should I buy?

These are the ones I'm considering if anyone's interested:
>IPS (149€ where I live)
>amazon.com/dp/B072XCZSSW
>VA (129€)
>amazon.com/dp/B00KYCSRQI

fucked up the second link, it's actually
>amazon.com/GW2470HM-23-8-inches-Black-computer-monitor/dp/B01JIQ86FM/

Guys, can you check out the build I put together for my brother (14)?
pcpartpicker.com/list/HJsrzM
My parents were going to buy a prebuilt, I looked at it and it's trash so I said I could do better. We're on the verge of pulling the trigger. He'll be using a 1080p 60hz monitor. He plays pubg, rainbow six siege and some other fpses I don't know about. Thanks in advance.
>I really wanted to put another 8gb stick in but ram is so fucking expensive and they don't want to spend a grand on the pc, I'm already on the budget limit

I saw a pic on here about 30 minutes ago of a dry donut and a wet donut with an anime grill under. Anyone saved and can share?

Have I had my ram in this motherboard wrong the whole time?
I have a stick in A1 and a stick in B1
That's right isn't it?

Yeah, you're all good. Most motherboards have channels configured like 1-2-1-2.

I'm in a bit of a bind here. I'll spare the lengthy details, but basically I accidentally deleted all the system files of my tablet's rooted Android and now I can't boot and I need to find out how to get a working ROM on there again. I have the ROM, but I can't find out how to actually install it. I've tried a hard reset but it does nothing. I've already tried various methods from searching and I'm at a loss now.

I'm not well versed in mobile devices. Any help?

Hey Sup Forums I got this monitor on black friday for $239.99 amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-32-inch-Wide-Viewing-Display/dp/B01FGCJBGK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1512638702&sr=1-1&keywords=hp pavilion 32q

Saw this for $299 on amazon though amazon.com/LG-27UD58-B-27-Inch-Monitor-FreeSync/dp/B01IRQAYPE , decided to get it and return the $239.99 one. Was that the right thing to do? What do you think?

I plan on doing
>digital painting, photoshop/maya
>some light gaming on PC, PS4 and switch (not too much)

What do you think?

So until today, and today morning everything worked fine, but after few hours I noticed that I can't mine on my processor in Firefox anymore. Any tips what went wrong?
uBlock is disabled
mining services are running as they should in my other browsers
I haven't installed or removed anything from Firefox during this time
I tried to restart the PC and re-install firefox but still nothing, any ideas?

Hey,
I used Postgres - Django - bootstrap to make a few personal stuff, it went great.

What could replace django (idgaf about MVT stuff) as a cool get "data/modifiy it/send to frontend" tool between my db and the frontend ? I'm completely lost.

Pls no node.js

You're good mate
Godspeed

Basically fucked, this is the kind of shit that rooting allows and you were warned about.

You serious? It was a fucking slip of my thumb. Surely there has to be a way. How do they put Android on the damn thing in the first place?

if i understand correctly, everything on screen is still displayed, but frozen, except the mouse movement ?

Is 27 too old to go to school and kickstart a career in IT?

I'm an admissions clerk at a hospital right now and I've reached a dead end. I'm topped out at $10 an hour and I just feel dead inside every time I go to work.

Would an associate's degree from community college in IT with a focus on networking be enough?

>I just feel dead inside every time I go to work.

If you become a network tech/sysadmin/server room operator you will feel the same way. Most of these positions pay a salary rather than an hourly rate and demand 60+ hour weeks and lots of late nights. Also if you truly like computers as a hobby, turning it into a job will make you disgusted every time you even look at a computer.

>Would an associate's degree from community college in IT with a focus on networking be enough?

Go on indeed.com and see what jobs are in your area and what they require.

I'm a math/CS double major and I have a dude that's like 50 years old on my abstract algebra class

like, almost fully bald wit white hair and shit

never too old to start going to school lad

with no connections your associate's degree isn't enough to make you competitive, it's something but you need a bit more if you're own your own

>Go on indeed.com and see what jobs are in your area and what they require.

First thing I saw

>"IT technician" $28,000/yr
>Requirements: BS degree in Computer Science or equivalent. 5+ years of experience in the design and implementation of networks both LAN and WAN. ACI and NSX experience are required. Experience with SDN, VPN setup and configuration. Broad Cisco background, router and switch configuration and deployment.

Sadly I'm married and tied down in a very rural area so going to a 4 year university is out of the question. I guess I'll become an electrician or something.

I have custom firmware Tomato on my WRT54G and I don't intend to transfer data at rates beyond its capability any time soon. Why should I buy a newer WiFi router?

if you live in a rural area and are not really good at sucking cock you will not find a decent networking gig

be a plumber or truck driver or something

Have the same setup.

CPU is just too slow for QoS with speeds today.

Still won't upgrade anytime soon.

The guy at the computer store told me not to blow compressed air into my laptop's fan because it will fuck up the bearings. He told me to take it apart and clean the fan with a brush instead.

Is this true? Will I fuck the fan with the standard compressed air electronics cleaner can?

Don't blow it for long minutes then you'll be fine, blow small then stop and repeat.

Q: "What's the difference between a used car salesman and a computer store salesman?"
A: The used car salesman knows when he's lying.

Because it's fucking wireless G. You shouldn't even have that shit competing with modern networks. People still just use it because they don't know any better and they cling to familiar shit. There are a million goddamn routers that have better range, latency and reliability than that one.

You just don't want to get the fan going super fast. Do short bursts and do it from a slight distance. Also for the love of god don't blow air into a speaker thinking it's a fan vent.

Anyone?._. It's strange that it worked all week long and even in the morning but not anymore.

So uh, here's the deal: I've got an R9 290 that has started to get a bit... toastier than normal. One reason might be that the airflow to the GPU in the case isn't the best possible.
So my question is, has anyone here made an AIO liquid cooler to their GPU? Like, there's conversion sets for the R9 290 where you just buy the conversion set and a liquid cooler like for example a hydro h100i and boom, liquid cooled GPU. This way I could put the fans in a way that they can cool the GPU more, but it would cost me around 150€ to do this.
Opinions?

Nobody wants a VA. That said, literally no one in your first link has reviewed the IPS. I'd google any model's you're considering and find something with a writeup from av nerds, cause they'll do fucking in depth analysis of shit.

Is it possible to teach myself programming/web development in one year and be employable?

I got a new laptop this spring and I'm noticing an issue recently with my RAM.

I've tried reinstalling the drivers for my Killer network adapter since that's the most popular culprit and solution on google for my particular symptoms but it didn't help, and I'm 2stupid to know if I should try just uninstalling it or if that breaks everything. Can I do this?

My issue is high RAM usage on startup, NOT leak over time just immediately on startup, that goes away if I restart. Every first startup of the day (I sleep with it off) it uses ~50% of RAM, after resetting it goes back to ~14% which is where it should be.

No matter what, there's always something that causes me to go back to Windows. Nothing can help me now, Sup Forums.

What's the best copy of Windows without much of the bloat and botnet.

That's right, mouse movement is still fine as is audio while the monitors are frozen

But the range and reliability is good enough and if I intend to game I'll use ethernet. I like Tomato, too. How much would I have to pay for a router with firmware as reliable, efficient, and featureful as Tomato?

repostan from last thread, does no one know?

Question about the "Now Playing" status of Discord.
If you're logged into it from two devices, and one is playing something while the other isn't, what happens? I see that on the Playing PC it shows what you're playing, but on the Standby PC it shows nothing. So how does it decide what is actually shown to others?

I have an old hdd, which i would like to whipe as much as i can and check health of it. what would be the best methods/programs for that?

bumping this question

dban it

its probably an option to make the battery live longer
there might be a pre-installed program to disable it (i.e. samsung battery saver) or just find it on the bios and change it
if youre good on mathematics you will easily learn programming languages and programming in general
you should start on webdev first since even normalfags can kode these days, and so should you

Here's my question, not a question of stupidity but sounds stupid because its related to h4x0r bullshit: about how long would a gt520m crack a wpa2 handshake?

So, my PSU fans been faintly rattling (have to stand beside it to hear it) for a few months until I give the case a tap, making it go away for a while.
I think it's a wire or something in the way, but I'd rather not open the thing up seeing as I'm practically half blind.
Everyone on those PC forums says the PSU will explode and I'll die if I don't replace it immediately, but there's been 0 problems besides the noise. I can't RMA at this point.
Thoughts?

If you can boot into dowload mode ( holding volup+home on samsung crap ) then you can hunt down the original stock rom and a program like LGUP for lg devices or odin for samsungs and flash that rom from your computer, there should be guides and if not you could make a thread on your devices xda page, unless it's some super obscure piece of tablet you should find some help

Is this route a good way to get an entry level IT job?

Tomato is pretty ass as far as firmware goes. LEDE is king, or the alternate asus firmware if you need something dead simple and don't care about QOS.

Hello,
I have to make an analysis of a search term's popularity, but Google Trends doesn't have enough data to show anything. Is there a similar functionality? I'm looking for something along the lines of
>total times searched
>development of popularity during last X years
>or just the traffic of the specific site I'm aiming at

For some reason Sup Forums won't keep my settings. The style and everything is remembered but the settings reset everytime I restart Firefox. This is really annoying and I haven't got a clue why.

I'm using this py script that pastes some weather info into my polybar but when I'm offline I get a fallback connection error. what do I need to prevent the script from failing and just paste nothing (or a whitespace) when there is no internet?
github.com/jaagr/polybar/wiki/User-contributed-modules#weather-icons

check the cookies and see if they are being ignored for the Sup Forums domain

just buy a x220, put an SSD and upgrade to 8 or 16gb of ram and there you go a good/cheap laptop with nice specs

not sure about the formatting thing but you can check health with crystaldisk info

Hmm, seems like I need to keep "Offline Web Site Data" in order for the settings to be saved. I don't think this was always the case as I usually clear it when I close the browser and only keep cookies.

What is a pc with a 4770k watercooled at 4.3 and a gtx 980 with 8 gbs of ram and 2 240gb ssd's worth? It's in a nice corsair case fwiw. Just the tower. Thinking of selling it and getting a "gaymen" laptop..

hey can anybody help me out with my filters? apparently im doing them wrong since i can still see some of the posts when i browse certain threads on other boards.

thanks in advance

/draw/i;op:only;stub:no;boards:b,gif,hc
/dick[s]/i;op:only;stub:no;boards:b,gif,hc
/fur[ry|ies]/i;op:only;stub:no;boards:b,gif,hc
/gay[s]/i;op:only;stub:no;boards:b,gif,hc
/trap[s]/i;op:only;stub:no;boards:b,gif,hc
/sissy/i;op:only;stub:no;boards:b,gif,hc
/logs/i;op:only;stub:no;boards:b,gif,hc
/log/i;op:only;stub:no;boards:b,gif,hc
/tranny/i;op:only;stub:no;boards:b,gif,hc
/shemale[s]/i;op:only;stub:no;boards:b,gif,hc
/hentai/i;op:only;stub:no;boards:b,gif,hc
/sfm/i;op:only;stub:no;boards:b,gif,hc
/cock[s]/i;op:only;stub:no;boards:b,gif,hc
/mexithread/i;op:only;stub:no;boards:b,gif,hc
/tribute/i;op:only;stub:no;boards:b,gif,hc
/kik/i;op:only;stub:no;boards:b,gif,hc
/shota[s]/i;op:only;stub:no;boards:b,gif,hc
/loli[s]/i;op:only;stub:no;boards:b,gif,hc
/waifu[s]/i;op:only;stub:no;boards:b,gif,hc
/bi[sexual]/i;op:only;stub:no;boards:b,gif,hc

What's a Personal Computer?

So I turned on the AMA setting on my Benq monitor. I didn't really notice a difference, but when I slowly scroll in Firefox I notice heavy ghosting on text. Isn't AMA supposed to elliminate ghosting? Also found this shit on the official FAQ page. Is their support retarded?

I don't use filters. But seems like you only have enabled them for b, gif and hc?

should i end myself?

Depend's user. Are you a qt?

No, live is short enough anyway. If you value your life so little better put it on the line for something of value than ending it for naught.

If I have a javascript function in a html page which runs on a constant loop (say it repeats itself every second), what is stopping it from jamming up everything else?

wouldnt the rest of the page never load since its in the middle of doing the loop?

does enclosing it within its own tags do anything for this?

no
thank you, based disciple of Master Foo

A javascript funtion on an infinite loop would cause the page to become unresponsive, yes.

Running a javascript funtion every few seconds can be done with setInterval() (note this will probably be inefficient)

developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/WindowTimers/setInterval

I'm using Photoshop CC15. I'm trying to save a million versions of a picture I'm editing and it's getting annoying when the default file name is always set to "Untitled-1.EXT"

I want to change the default file name for [Save For Web] to sequentially name the files E.G
Untilted-1.jpg
Untilted-2.jpg
Untilted-3.jpg
Without me having to enter it each time and see if it's in use?

Yeah go out and find something stupid to do. Maybe change someones life then off yourself. Don't be a waste

>I have to make an analysis of a search term's popularity
>Google Trends doesn't have enough data to show anything
There's your answer.

adwords keyword planner

The manual recommends A2, B2, but A1, B1 will likely be identical in terms of performance.

Is there any alternative to Win10 or Android in the tablet market? I hate them both and try to avoid them if possible.

iOS

Nightly

Sorry sunshine. This is a no-miner zone :(. Check reddit though

>FULL HD
>1060 6GB VRAM

get a 3GB VRAM, that's enough. And also aren't there any budget mobos out there?
Other than that, get it and maybe add more RAM by saving on mobo .

a lot of those are not doing what you think they are, for example;
"cock[s]" matches only "cocks", for "cock" or "cocks", use "cocks?", though this is also redundant, as "cocks" contains "cock" and will match with just "cock"
"bi[sexual]" matches a ton of stuff, [] means any of these characters, i'm not even sure what your intention here is. this matches things like "rabbis" and "mobile"

thanks mate
Is there any benefit or drawback to having multiple separate tags within a document?

Is it just to separate your code?

A personal computer (PC) is a multi-purpose computer whose size, capabilities, and price make it feasible for individual use. PCs are intended to be operated directly by an end user, rather than by a computer expert or technician. Computer time-sharing models that were typically used with larger, more expensive minicomputer and mainframe systems, to enable them be used by many people at the same time, are not used with PCs.

[spoiler]I meant it as a joke but your explanation was really well done[/spoiler]

pls send help, someone deleted youtub :--(

I have a rather peculiar issue with my pc
>try to turn on pc
>either repeatedly shuts down and tries to restart or starts without giving video output
>pull out one stick of ram (i have 4 4gb sticks) doesnt matter which slot
>pc boots fine
>shut down and put the stick back and turn it on again
>boots up fine with all 16gb recognized and usable
What gives? Memtest86 found nothing. Is my mobo going bad? Did i fuck up my cpu OC?

I got permabanned twice from a small forum that needs approved registration. I used to browse on my phone and laptop then got banned, started browsing again a month later, got permabanned again with reason given: 'my first username'. Which means they knew who i was. They've rolled back the bans and demodded the guy that banned me. I want to sign up again, if I sign up on my phone using my 4g connection and browse ONLY using my phone's data, will they know it's me?

I've learnt some basics from Java before realizing it may not be the language I want to use. I was thinking of maybe moving to C or C++ to learn. Should I just stick with java to learn the more advanced concepts then move?

Can cats feel pain?

anyone got a dell xps here?
how reliable are they? i have bad experiences with old dells being pieces of shit after a year or two.

Hey guys I'm looking for a NFC charging station for my phone.

And I'm also looking for a NFC PC station for my PC so as to connect my cellphone to my PC what are some decent stations?

Need a hard drive for media storage, is it a bad idea to get a 5400 rpm drive? I'll be saving to it frequently and accessing it occasionally.