I'm fairly tech savvy but I don't know a damn thing about routers or what makes one good or bad...

I'm fairly tech savvy but I don't know a damn thing about routers or what makes one good or bad. Does it even matter for typical home use what router you buy?

fuck SOHO routers!
buy a real enterprise router with CLI and fiber.
40G ports.

or some cisco

>crawls away

Generally, routers need to have both quality hardware and firmware/software with the features you want. However, all of this to some degree tends to scale with how much you want to spend.

Oh and its important to note that many people say "Router" when they really mean "wireless access point" because many SOHO and all basic consumer ones include both in one unit, but it isn't the best way to go at all times etc...

What kind of Internet do you have at home? Do you already have a cable modem and/or some sort of fiber gateway provided by your ISP? Are you interested in bypassing/replacing this? How many wired devices and how many wireless ones do you anticipate needing for your home plus give yourself room to grow? How big is said home especially if you're needing wireless access points?

How much do you want to spend?

Finally, how comfortable are you with setting up tech and troubleshooting it? If you are at least comfortable using a GUI from a browser over the network that's good, if you can follow along on the CLI if given instructions that's better?

Pf sense on a lowtier box will replace that for free.

Do you work for Netgear?

If I have a "60 Mbps maximum" internet speed and 3 people in the house each with a phone and a laptop, plus one desktop PC, and I just wanted to spend the least amount of money to get something that wouldn't significantly bottleneck my internet speeds, what kind of router should I get?

The more antennas the better router is.

Let say I have one PC that will be connected to router with ethernet cable, also few wireless devices like kindle and phones that will use WiFi. On PC I have uTorrent with a lot of constantly seeding torrents and some other shit like youtube with 1080 video or skype calls. I have 100 Mbps ethernet connection. How can I choose router for this? I tried some TP_link but when I used uTorrent everything else became shit, probably because I have a lot of opened connection even without using full speed. Budget is below 100$. I thinking to get something from mikrotik, but not sure what

That's more to do with your network speed than your wifi router.

>Let me handhold a fucking retard with a huge post!
I fucking hate nu/g/

careful with that honey, it can escape

consumer all in one routers are garbage

you have infinitely more versatility, scalability, and choice if you purchase/build your router, switch, and access point(s) separately

it can be cheaper, too, especially if you happen to have an old PC lying around that you can repurpose into a router for free

Who exactly just tinkers with their router gizmos all day?

>Who exactly just tinkers with their router gizmos all day?
do you know where you are m8

Yeah but that's like, worse than any other autistic activity I can imagine.

if I connect cable to PC everything works fine

Is the MU-MEME-O meme a meme?

How would one get the latest, fastest wireless access point?

I can't be assed to lay Ethernet

I have a 10mb down/5 mb up connection because I live in the middle of nowhere. Is it worth upgrading from the $30 TP Link router I have now? I know next to nothing about routers.

Do you get 10mb down/5mb up?

The best routers don't have a WiFi radio, and the best WiFi access points don't do routing.

>tfw still running a TP-Link 4300
It's running LEDE currently.
It's still capable of handling my 70Mb/s connection with multiple users.

>best
Having the best router on the block is like being the best at blowjobs among straight men

>still
That isn't even that old man. Wireless N is still more than enough for most connections.

>turns into autobot

Buy Ubiquti, you just need a basic home router for it, since it's only an access point

Majority of households in the US can get by no problem with an N150 router if you're just using it for internet access alone. If you're using it for inter-pc communication, then balls-to-the-wall fastest is obviously best.

it's supposed to place like this

The thing is now everyone's parents have 3 wireless devices each and the TV and possibly even the fridge are connected as well. If you live alone you don't need much, but with the sheer number of devices and device owners increasing along with 4K streaming becoming a normal thing, wireless demands are increasing pretty rapidly.

AAAAAAHHHHHHHH

d-don't post stuff like that user... it's scary...

>The more antennas the better router is.

This.

But for home use more than 4 is overkill.

(the extra antennas are used for multiple networks operating at different channels)

fuck off handholding ledditor, dumb faggot

And the best modems don't have a router.

When my cable modem broke (after >10 years of near flawless operation) my ISP replaced it with a modem/WiFi-router/TV-box monstrosity.
I just know some part of it will break within 3 years and then I need to replace the whole thing.

That's what they want you to think.

Get a router that's fully LEDE compatible.

This way you'll know it's basically never going to be EOL.