Python is the superior language

You guys WISH you could have modules. We code things 5x faster than the average Javafag, you just sit there trying to figure out the syntax.

Other urls found in this thread:

channel9.msdn.com/posts/MDCC-TechTalk-Classes-Jim-but-not-as-we-know-them
benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/which-programs-are-fastest.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

coding 5x faster, running 5x slower, on 5x less cores
^ this part is pretty questionable

Wtf are you talking about, C is the original and best language.

Python isn't slow though. Plenty of fast things run on python.

>C
>best language
come on, C has so many flaws

Sure, go ahead and use an ancient language like python, i'll be creating robust software with nodeJS

Lmao, name them brainlet.
Just because you aren't smart enough to understand it you trash it.

>Plenty of fast things run on C with a python wrapper.

code fast
run slow

Name em.

Didn't come here to flame like you autists (he says while flaming), knowledge is the highest aim and the ultimate goal for mankind.

What's wrong with C++ for writing programs at any level of abstraction from the CPU itself to a desktop application?

Obviously it depends strictly speaking of what your aim is, writing a website in C++ is unfathomable. If one were to "hedge their bet" on one programming language though, why would C++ not be a good choice? Most languages are C-like in their design and C++ includes lots of utilities commonplace in other class based languages.

I can understand that anyone might feel the exact same way about almost any language and ultimately its personal preference, so I suppose I should state that I hope to do a lot with integrated systems/os/compiler design.

lack small reliable compilers, usually incompatible with GNU extensions
flawed standards in POSIX std library
- inconsistent error handling on various places
- inconsistent argument order on various places
- posix threads are straight out trash
lack of cross-platform assembler language
just straight out trash ecosystem when it comes to libraries, there are no goto when looking for data structures, non-ascii encodings, serialization, build systems
nul-terminated strings
lack of behavioral abstractions
lack of namespaces
lack of concurrency primitives
Not even talking about some common trend not to build things toward static linking.
And common annoyance of having to work with 3 different standard libraries.

openCV

As a C fag I have to agree with this. While I generally think that OOP is overused it's undeniably useful for many applications. If you use C++ as C with objects and don't use objects in stupid ways it's by far the best language to use for designing a full system from the ground up.

> plenty of things run fast on C with a machine code wrapper

You can work pretty quickly with Java and a proper IDE.
Yeah, if you wanna shit out a quick script, Python is quicker.
But when the project gets bigger Java starts to catch up.

Numpy

BEST LANGUAGES
1. C
2. Python
3. Haskell

Knock it off. C and Python are really a great combination and they work WITH each other and compliment each other. Rivalry between C and Python makes no sense.
C has its flaws, and Python has its flaws. Hell C+Python isn't even perfect. But both languages are vastly superior for their use case, and when used together, than basically any other language.

> his list doesnt contain scheme

There's a reason big data and machine/deep learning is built around Python. Smart people recognize the best tools.

you mean prototypes

>Java syntax is hard
plebbest of plebs

No. Python calls fast things written in C. Nobody is writing machine learning code entirely in Python. The only all-Python codebases are servers because network latency hides how slow Java is. Python should be (and mostly is) used for managing, building, and calling code in other languages.

That's a weird way of spelling Ruby.

>guy 1
WOW I CODE THE KIND OF THINGS PYTHON IS MADE FOR PYTHON BEST LANGUAGE guy 2
WELL I'M CODING A FUGGING OS AND PYTHON IS TOO SLOW FOR THAT BOO PYTHON BOOOOOOOOOO

every tiem

Python is actually a pretty good language for just messing around.

But for more serious things I prefer go. Go is really fast (Sometimes faster than C), like Python has lots of "modules", and has a very easy syntax.

And does not require a semicolon after each line;

Whatever code you shit out in Python I can write more efficiently and effectively in Bash, twice as fast, with less dependencies and will actually work on other systems.

I know some C and Assembly, also a bit of Python. But seriously I still
don't call myself a programmer, I haven't worked on much projects, that
confidence isn't there to call myself a programmer.

So this may seem stupid: what's with Lisp/Haskell? I've never done functional programming.
What do they mean when they have some sort of "enlightenment"? Does it make you a better programmer by knowing it? Or is it just easier to program in functional languages?

>You guys WISH you could have modules.
actually thinking Python import statements are modules
if __name__ == "__main__":
main()

>C and Python are a really great combination
>compliment each other
good one, you meant C AND LUA right?

haskell is all about "muh maths" "muh formulas" or something

julia is the language of the future.
- has real types but can be dynamic
- uses duck typing in code that's not performance critical, but gains major perf when code becomes type stable
- incoming proposals for type classes (yeah get jealous you simon peyton jones cum guzzling haskell fags)
- real jit
- you can decompile your function to assembly in your fucking repl just for kicks
- full macro system
- multiple dispatch
- native ccall syntax which means you can directly call C code.
- should blow shit up in the scientific computing space, so you're likely to find a qt3.14 scientific coder to fork your projects if you know what I mean

python is cute but it's time to move on.

Verbose ugly piece of shit language.

Functional programming => Programming with types => Massive amounts of power.

type classes are a huge part of what makes haskell's type system so fucking awesome. This talk goes into the details.

channel9.msdn.com/posts/MDCC-TechTalk-Classes-Jim-but-not-as-we-know-them

I saw this talk in person and jones referred to the quickcheck slide as "orgasmic code" and he's pretty much right. When you get that I think you'll get some of the appeal of the language.

fuck off
2/10 made me reply

tensorflow (c++ though)

Pandas

>C is fast

>Python should be (and mostly is) used for managing, building, and calling code in other languages.
I see people say this all the time but I have no idea how it works, I wasn't taught how to use languages together in school. What is the concept called and where do I start?

Lua is fucking terrible though

pure lua is way faster and smaller than pure python (which is absolute bloatware), luajit is, last time I checked, the fastest or one of the fastest jit compilers around, lua has a clean ass codebase, and it's literally made with the purpose of being integrated in a c program
>ugly
says the fag who uses a language that flips it's shit at "incorrect" whitespace, python's whitespace rules are what make it fucking ugly. at least lua actually has the decency to clearly mark the end of a code block and not care about muh whitespace

Golang here. Rewriting old buggy Python projects for big bucks. :^)

Use Nim

no .. that is untrue

machine code is the best language

>5xfaster

Honest this is all you ever need in 99%+ of the case

also what is early optimization

You almost memed me into getting a try at lua. But seriously, shills aside, will I ever need it? Is it worth it?

>actually using namespace
you disgusting piece of trash.

>anything but binary is the best language
no

yes mommy i like my hand to be held i don't like programming i like others to do it for me importing is programming in my books i kode with kloddy in this kool scripting language called python

>code fails to run because not enough white-space
Yeah sure

>when whitespace isn't an issue because you don't go past 80 characters per line
You wouldn't happen to be a bad coder, would you user?

>functional programming
enjoy your bootleg Matlab language

Y'all niggas need some chunky bacon

If you write absolutely undecipherable and optimized to oblivion code that is less than 10 character per line, you are scum and do not understand the point of python in the first place.

>copy paste a single line in my python script
>get compiler error due to mixed tabs and space indents

gee, thanks python!
I know this is avoidable by properly configuring the text editor in Visual Studio but it's still stupid as fuck

if you want a fast, small embedded language for any purpose, that's effortless to embed, that's what lua's made for and you should use it for that. people just embed python because they know python.

and maybe people know python because it happens to not be utter shit, unlike Lua.

> copy paste
> DRY
this is a pattern now apparently

I just use python as a more extensive .bat script. You really do need the performance c++ gives when doing graphics.

no, they know python because they're pajeets that work only in scripting languages, and they need one they can use for *absolutely everything*, when they should really be using a c-family language for that general-purpose shit. python is garbage if you are working on something where performance matters and/or you need that low level goodness

I just use elixir for everything but tend to follow DRY as much as possible. Seriously though, copy paste is not a pattern one should use.

>have a script 10 lines long
>want to save a different command line argument set in a commented out line

REE DONT REPEAT YOURSELF REEEEE

I mean yeah in a real program it would matter but who gives a shit when it's a tiny script.

Well, guess it makes a difference when it's one instance for all scripts rather than instance per script.

>lua
>faster than python
benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/which-programs-are-fastest.html
???????

Snakefag here

Please don't post again