Other urls found in this thread:

krita.org/en/item/krita-development-sprint-2017/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Nothing to discuss. It is.

/thread

GIMP is pretty handy.

sage grows in all fields

I agree.

Everything about it is as unintuitive as possible. It's like some fucking virgin opensource programmer made it that way just to show you how smart he is and how it isn't windows.

I wanted to create some uv textures with gimp. But turned out it was impossible since layer lose transparency while being transformed. It is practically impossible to make one object overlay other well. It really shows it was made by fat neckbeards with no knowledge in design.

I disagree. For people who don't work in graphic design its nice to have a free alternative.

Tbh GiMP is fine for simple shit, idk what someone would use for more sophisticated photo editing other than photoshop.

photoshop is top tier because people get paid to manage that monster

It's free and is good enough for the majority of a home user's tasks.

Not everything has to be enterprise standard, that's why it costs enterprise money.

I'd like to kindly suggest Adobe shills to kill yourself post haste and stop wasting air that could be used by better people.
For me Gimp gets the work done, but its main weakness is lack of CMYK support, so it's useless for professional work involving printing.

krita outclasses it. Or plain ol' image magick

>so it's useless for professional work involving printing.

Maybe if you're a professional you should look into professional software?

>no cmyk mode
>no 16-bit support
>no canvas rotation
>slow performance while dragging or zooming. hardware acceleration is shit

I made the mistake of downloading the development realeses of gimp on Windows and it looks bad. Did I made a mistake.

Isn't that their final purpose? To develop a drop-in replacement for PS?

Photoshop is free to torrent.

Who the fuck not a business pays for software? I bought a copy of Partition Magic 4.0 when it came out because I didn't know better, but that was nearly twenty years ago.

The only non-free software is software you can't easily pirate.

Not every professional graphics editor/creator makes things for print.
If Gimp would support CMYK it'd be good enough for most professional tasks.

Gimp is an okay software that gets the job done.
I might be the only one, but I actually prefer GIMP over Photoshop despite I use other Adobe softwares daily (Illustrator, InDesign, Audition...)

>the circle debate
If you're trying to make a perfect circle in a raster image manipulation program, you're not using the right tool for the job and you should use a vector image manipulation program instead like Inskape or Illustrator.
When I need something round in GIMP (like for masking something), I just the circular selection tool, it's everything you need. If I need to make a white circle with a black outline, I just don't use Gimp.

But it is free
/thread

>lol just break the law

Not an argument.

any decent gimp alternatives for linux?

>Boo hooo hoo, sniffle sniffle, I dont know how to >learn new software properly

tl;dr Shit tier mental abilities

GIMP, lol.

> t. Adobe

Gimp itself.
Or Krita, specially if you're more into digital painting than photo editing.

It's not a law for which real people get busted.

Laws are just text on paper. Everyone breaks a few so only the hassle/benefit ratio matters.

There's no moral argument for obeying law you can get away with ignoring. Only autspergers care about that and they should do as they prefer.

All of what you wrote is bullshit

There is literally nothing wrong with the GNU Image Manipulation Pepper.

lets just /endofthread this bitch shall we
makeuseof.com/tag/can-photoshop-gimp-cant/

>fails software licensing audit
>company gets sued for copyright infringement

Use and support Krita. It's actually a way better project. GIMP is garbage for sure.

>Pepper

literally laughed out loud. I think I'm getting more and more retardeder by the day

I feel like Gimp is better for everything that is not drawing

Well, that's just like your opinion man. What do you expect it to be used in equivalent to? Photoshop?

>some fags are using Photoshop to make webdesign

Does it have patch tool yet?

No, mainly people follow the law because it is expensive, either in terms of time or money, if you get caught disobeying the law. Example, if I earn $20 an hour, I'm probably going to either use GIMP or pirate Photoshop. It would cost me a few hundred to buy photoshop, but after paying rent and food bills etc I would have to save for a couple of months. If I pirate it and get caught that could cost me a few thousand in legal fees. Now, if I earn $100 an hour I am probably going to buy photoshop and download GIMP. So you see, its about status and about how shit your wages are that count. Low life mixed race burger flippers will be pirating that shit. People who live a decent life will pay for it just so they can feel proud they arent scum.

Me, personally, I buy all my software

This desu sempai

>I can't defend GIMP so I'll just call you retarded
Defend this, faggot:
- can't select multiple layers, or use a transparent color for the grid
- frequent unexpected crashes with work loss because no auto save
- no way to adjust curves for multiple layers simultaneously
- no united transform tool
- have I mentioned how layer management is shit already?
- float selection - boom, it becomes its own layer! but not really (and information around the edges of selection is lost)...
- brush and gradient editor are useless
- no way to tell what the hell's going on when rotating a layer on top of something complex
- development is slow and inefficient with retarded multi-year release cycles
- this GEGL thing has been going on for ages and never gets anywhere
- filing bugs is extremely hard (you have to document everything, explain the issues, figure out how much of it is localized to your build, how much of it is already fixed in the dev version, wade through a bunch of questions about which version you're using or discussions about how it isn't reproducible or arguments about how you should build again with different dependencies...)
- even harder to fork because it's such a convoluted poorly documented spaghetti code mess (two forks have failed already that I know of, namely CinePaint and GimpShop, and when your project is harder to fork than an entire office suite, it's usually a terrible sign)
GIMP truly is a massive pile of steaming hot garbage!

Since forever.

Krita 4.0 is coming out in a few months with a new text tool and more. Hellp them so it comes out earlier or on time and is stable.

krita.org/en/item/krita-development-sprint-2017/

Most of those things actually works fine in Gimp and it always was rock stable for me. Go look for some tutorials. Retard.

It is indeed shit. Just use Krita instead, which is pretty amazing and a lot more intuitive.

wow dude Adobe must be paying you a fortune !
Perhaps if you earn so much from professional use of photoshop you should pay for it.
You realise its only a $few a month, right. Like for someone of your professional needs you should just pay for it.
Also, I see no point in telling us GIMP is shit if you have no use for it.
What is your beef here, dude?
Are you just pissed off that nobody recognises your talent and you cant afford a pittance per monthly subscription or are you pissed off because you work for adome and GIMP is getting in the way of your pay check being bigger?

Who the fuck thinks moving the fucking selection outline is more useful than moving the contents of said selection?

Anyone can open the app and see for himself.
>Perhaps if you earn so much from professional use of photoshop you should pay for it.
It's what I do.
>Are you just pissed off that nobody recognises your talent and you cant afford a pittance per monthly subscription or are you pissed off because you work for adome and GIMP is getting in the way of your pay check being bigger?
No, I'm just telling the truth.

I bet youre the kind of person that just rages because they got nothing better to do.
Good luck with your career in burger flipping

>Using "free" cracked version
Enjoy your botnet faggot

I wish paint.net wasn't only for windows, it has all I need while

wow get the fuck out

> build a car that punches you in the nuts as you drive

"Booo hooo! I have a wussy human flesh crotch!!"

GIMP has improved a lot in the last few years, going from unbearably ugly to bearably ugly — but what’s indisputable is that Photoshop is much easier to learn thanks to the countless awesome tutorials available online.

Is Krita actually usable for shooping ebin menes? I tried it for there minutes and it seemed an application strictly for digital art.

I don't remember it had it when I used it on windows. Thus I changed to paint.net. Maybe my build was obsolete.

It has it for a long time, but it's not a content aware auto-patch like in PS. You can find such feature in Krita, though.

Gimp is better for that type of use

Is that still a thing? I thought most people moved to bootstrap

bootstrap is not a webdesign tool, it's a CSS library
I mean, some people design the site in Photoshop then build the CSS to looks like the photoshop layout

It totally is garbage. Useful garbage though.

This thread brought to you by Adobe Software Products™

As long as nobody recommends paint.net, I'll just put it down to baby duck syndrome, and not complete retardation.

GIMP is Adobe's biggest selling tool.
People getting frustrated with GIMP's limitations and general faggyness buy Photoshop for relief.
Nomen est omen. GIMP is gimped. Probably deliberately.

Photoshop is not a good enough reason to use windows, or even wine for that matter.

What about Illustrator, Indesign, Audition, Premiere Pro or After Effect?

GIMP is the Atom of image editors, bloated piece of shit... wait, no, it's worse than Atom, because at least Atom makes sense sometimes.

Someone needs to make a real vi-like editor, I'm tired of having to navigate through GIMP's nested menus with my mouse or execute shitty hard to remember ctrl/shift/alt shortcuts

GIMP is the best image editing program of all those that
>work in Windows + MacOS + Linux
>is free of cost
but feel free to name a better alternative.
Just because it's not perfect doesn't mean it's useless.

It's more like:
>People getting tired of downloading consecutive versions of pirated Photoshop discover that Gimp does everything they need while being lighter than Adobe's bloat.

Does everything I need it to do.

>he uses MS Paint and is criticizing GIMP

It took them years to implement a dark theme and it's still a fucking mess