BSD And Other Things

/baot/ - *BSD And Other Things
Discuss FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonFly, FreeNAS, etc.

#baot @ irc.rizon.net
#freebsd/#openbsd/#netbsd @ irc.freenode.net

freebsd.org/handbook
openbsd.org/faq
netbsd.org/docs
dragonflybsd.org/docs

>"Linux user here. Why should I try BSD?"
over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/01
sivers.org/openbsd

Ask questions, get answers, ignore obvious trolls.

cuck OS

I will never understand why BSD is so underrated. Fuck Linux and the buggy pos kernel and the interfaces.

First post and there's already a triggered Linux faggot upset a better os exists.

Could someone help me with something? I can never get OpenBSD to properly clone the CVS ports repository, its always really slow and ends up getting a disconnect in the middle of download the ports tree.Also whenever I am able to do so by reattempting many times the connection, whenever downloading the source files to compile whatever I am compiling trough the ports tree(last time it was htop and wget) it's also really fucking slow and disconnects a lot. All of this was tested on OpenBSD6.2-stable on virtualbox.

Hey might run freebsd on my big server. How is its nvidia support and virtualization capability? Those are most important things for me.

Nvidia supports FreeBSD and FreeBSD's got a hypervisor called bhyve, that's all I really know about it

Is the bhyve thing any good? Considering freebsd or just Ubuntu with KVM is pretty solid but it would be nice to understand BSD a little better.

FreeBSD GNOME 3.26 when?

Downloads with that cvs tool is slow as hell. For initial download you should use CVSync, tarball (on stable) (or git mirror, haven't tested if that works).

Is it really only using 1.5MiB?
Is Linux compatibility any good?
Want to run a game server that only supports Linux on it.

>tfw no twm with ewmh support
would it be hard to implement?

I tried installing 10.4 and 11.1 on my x200, but they didn't work.
Issues with 10.4: X11 wouldn't launch and just throw out an error that a display is not found
Issues with 11.1: iwn drivers don't work, not in installation, not after installing (the device wouldn't be listed in ifconfig). Pic related - what happens during installation.
Any help would be appreciated.

I had gotten the 6.2 tarball and was updating it with the provided CVS tool.

tried another mirror?

Yes I tried several mirrors (almost all of them listed on user CVS actually)

i don't get disconnects like that, but when it happens you can just go in the directory and cvs up rather than redownload the whole thing. really, though, you should just fetch ports.tar.gz from the https mirror.

test

In what terms is linux different bsd when used as desktopOS.
Where would i feel/see the difference.
Would i learn anything new or is the only difference a different uname output ?
I will swap out the OS on my router soon, currently its pfsense, but i will install plain OpenBSD

less proprietary software (steam etc). no proprietary drivers for the most part, although fbsd has a proprietary nvidia.

As other posters said, you should probably get the tar file, then only use CVS to update the ports tree you get from that, but not to obtain the entire ports tree.

>Would i learn anything new
Yeah, the userland is much more Unixlike than the GNU userland, so it's a quick way to get much better at shell scripting. As the BSDs all come with a compiler in the default install, and also all have easy ways to get the source code to the entire OS, it's also very fast to compile whatever you want, including compile your OS.
yacc, lex, ctags all come with the system, further confirming that BSDs are good development environments. I use FreeBSD as my desktop.
Along with less proprietary software, less GNU software. Most GNU software fails to compile or run since GNU/FSF are too retarded to make portable software, even with autoconf.