I was thinking about putting this in the /sqg/...

I was thinking about putting this in the /sqg/, but this problem is sort of long and drawn out and may be fit for a discussion.

So about a year ago I purchased a Thinkpad with a 300 GB HD, Windows 7 installed on it. Later I installed an SSD in the machine and fit it with Windows 10. For the past 5 months or so I have been using the SSD and Windows 10, not having loaded the Windows 7 hard drive once this whole time.

Today school is out, and I decided to finally remove the hard drive so I no longer have to hear the whirring sound every time I boot the machine up. However, before I remove the HD I wanted to do a totally clean wipe of the thing.

The first thing I did a clean wipe of the hard drive via CCleaner's Drive Wiper program. After that was finished, I noticed that the drive was still titled "Windows 7" or something similar. Upon further inspection I learned that the HD had two partitions, one for Windows 7 and one presumably for a boot partition (I believe it was labelled "system reserved". I tried to eliminate both partitions, but Windows 10 wouldn't let me. So I grabbed my Windows 10 USB install stick, booted it, then went into its parition editor and deleted the partitions.

Now here is the problem: I am unable to load my SSD. When I turn on the Thinkpad after the splash screen it just shows a black screen. Ive tried booting directly from the SSD, but even then it still wont load.

What is going on with this? Why can I not load into my SSD? Also, I am positive that I did not mess with the SSD's partitions as all

Other urls found in this thread:

gparted.org/download.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Also, I am honestly not too stressed over this. All of my important data is saved to my dropbox anyway, so if I have to reinstall Windows 10 then it's no biggie. I would, however, like to totally wipe that hard drive, which is why I haven't removed it yet.

Why the actual fuck dont you Just Format it? Or boot any distro and do that

Use GNU + Linux + GNOME Partition Editor
gparted.org/download.php

Does your SSD have a similar reserved partition?
It's possible Windows 10 just used the existing one on the HDD.

install gentoo

I know that my SSD has two partitions, but maybe it did rely on that one on the HDD...

Is there any way to fix that, besides a fresh install?

Windows 10 probably still used that old HDD's boot partition, which you deleted. Fastest and easiest way is probably to reinstall everything.

Just remembered that the installer has some repair options, you could try that first.

>Why can I not load into my SSD?
Are you sure your BIOS can boot from it? It may have been using the bootloader on the mechnical drive all along since that's what the BIOS could read from.

Conversely, the SSD might perhaps never had a bootloader installed on it since the mechanical drive was the primary one.

I have no idea if the SSD has a bootloader, honestly. The SSD does come up in the bios though, if that means anything.

It was booting from the HDD using the partition, install the windows bootloader on your SSD.

On "System" means bootloader while "Boot" means windir. And sometimes windows installer places bootloader at some random device despite creating hident partition on empty drive it was given. GJ MS.

>The SSD does come up in the bios though, if that means anything.
It probably means it can read from it, at least, so it's probably a bootloader issue, then.

Ive pretty much decided that im just going to say fuck it and fresh install Windows. I wanted to upgrade my version of 10 to Pro anyway.

ayy look i am femanon

You will never fix this. This is a UEFI related issue. I went through the same thing. The boot information was located on the HDD, and partly mapped to somewhere in UEFI. And you overwrote it. The fix is entirely not worth it and often is a complete waste of time. You can thank microsoft for not prompting you where to put the bootloader data.

This was all to maintain OEM control. Let's all give a hearty thank you to micropoo for this one.

Exactly this. But the reason microshit did that was probably so people wouldn't go fucking around with their partitions and accidentally delete the efi one. I remember it being harder than necessary to delete said efi partition when I did the same thing a few years ago.

Now I know to disconnect the drive before you wipe all the data.

An /o/ analogy, you always remove the fill plug before the drain plug on a transmission/transfer case/differential because if that fucker is seized in you have to flip the car upside down to fill it.

you managed to update your mbr with the windows 10 installer likely. Use startup repair from the respect version of windows you have (installer). worst case use fix mbr

Actually what I think you should do is remove the hard drive before installing Win10, then place it back in afterwards and tell your PC to have boot priority over the SSD. That way you can wipe the HD to your hearts content.

It doesn't make any sense at all to me however to install Windows 10 onto an SSD..and it makes a crucial partition to some other drive on your PC.

When I turned on my PC after installing Win10 for the first time a screen would ask me if I wanted to boot Win7 or 10. Maybe that screen had something to do with it? I don't know.

Im just glad that this dumb mistake didn't happen to my more important computer.

>It doesn't make any sense at all to me however to install Windows 10 onto an SSD..and it makes a crucial partition to some other drive on your PC

Not to you, but to a programmer it makes perfect sense. There's already an OS using the efi partition on the HDD, lets just add an entry to it instead of attempting to move it and risk doing exactly what you did to yourself. Also you won't have to go into your BIOS and select which drive to boot from when you want to switch.

You just didn't understand what you were doing. Don't let anyone else here fool you, we've all fucked up our partitions and lost data. That's the only way we learned how to answer your question.

Hey nigger, how would I go about installing Windows 7 on a Threadripper system with a 960 PRO installed?

Command prompt and
"cd /d :\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\"
bootrec /FixBoot