If we detected an astroid heading towards earth with a size that killed the dinosaurs could we prevent impact?

if we detected an astroid heading towards earth with a size that killed the dinosaurs could we prevent impact?

do we have the technology?

Best Korea already has it. We're good.

Nuclear weapons.

dude the asteroid that killed dinos was like 8 miles in diameter

>armageddon

>deep impact

No, which is why they wouldn't tell anyone.

> could we prevent impact?
No

> do we have the technology?
Yes, but politics.

Than we need 8 miles worth of Nuclear weapons come user, this is basics!

You're too smart to be on Sup Forums.

Okay, who's donating their nuke stockpile first?

We must bring back the dinosaurs

All of earths nuclear arsenal is designed to hit earth, not something heading towards earth. I doubt many ICMBs could just be reprogrammed to hit an asteroid instead

Depends on how far out it is by the time it's figured out that it's going to strike us. If it's pretty far, we could bump it a little and be pretty safe. If it's less the 2 years out, better buy a bunker.

Instead of blowing up the asteroid, which is a moving target and difficult to hit, why not simply stick all our missiles and rockets heads-down into the ground and lit them up? The ignition force will slightly alter earth's orbit and move us out of harm's way. After the asteroid has been successfully evaded, we could move earth back into its original orbit by repeating the same procedure but on the opposite side of the globe.

Asteroid mining op. They despawn once you extract all the veldspar.

󠁖>

lmao

I honestly read android because of the typo. Would have been a much more interesting thread.

impossible. the energy would go into the atmosphere and cancel it out

I read something a while ago about slowly changing an asteroids trajectory by putting some kind of craft in orbit around it that uses ion propulsion. Ion thrusters are apparently slow, but very effective. This assumes we detect it in time and has enough mass for something to orbit it.

If you're rich enough can you just buy nuclear weapons? I imagine you could.

>suddenly all Jews disappear into thin air because the lizard people are returning to their home planet
>important government officials and leading scientists disappear all around the world
How would you not understand the ends times were upon us?

>comments in this thread

>nobody mentions gravity tractor, just hollywood physicists

I hate this board

Just make the thrusters bigger so it sticks out the atmosphere duh

Blowing asteroids up into smaller pieces doesn't completely negate the threat. Rather than one solid impact you could have impacts on every continent from smaller asteroids and and up doing more damage overall.

Could honestly see North Korea selling nukes to terrorists. That way they can still have USA nuked but without any direct involvement. Should be interesting to see if China would still be backing North Korea or not because if USA did any form of military retaliation they'd technically be the aggressor.

Read Jerry Pournelle's "A Step Further Out".

Why not just have your mom put her gut between the earth and the asteroid? Easy.

NASA has documented 95% of all objects floating around in our little solar system that are over 100m in size.

So if some huge asteroid comes in, and has a chance of hitting us, we will have plenty of notice, and the best way to make sure it wont hit us is to simply paint one side of it white so it will reflect light differently and over a course of it's travels it's orbit will change not to hit us

So you're telling me in order to save the world from armygeddon the world has to invest in a giant paintgun?

Attach "sails" to the asteroid so the radiation, particles from sun steer it from the path.

Get a giant catapult, and put a giant rock on it and fire.
Both rocks will explode in the atmosphere because as everyone knows; Rock vs Rock is a draw.

Yes.

paint it white.

research has shown that dinosaurs were actually the size of an cockroach, so a rock of that size probably isn't a thread to humanity

Research has shown that you’re talking about your dick size, user

the fuck. what research

>that kid who plans on batting the asteroid away
fucking legend, may she have 100 monuments built in her honor.

>Analytical studies on the length, circumference and rigidity of user's penis
>Dr. Mom, Y., Dr. Suxcock, O.P., and Dr. Sage, F.Y.

>and the best way to make sure it wont hit us is to simply paint one side of it white
Oh is that all? Why didn't you say it would be so easy earlier?

>not launching a giant sheet of paper at it instead
Someone's not in it to win it

PAPER DOESN'T WIN ANYTHING

I CAN FUCKING PUNCH A HOLE IN YOUR PAPER WITH MY ROCK HARD FIST

Yeah well I can punch a hole in your dick with my rock hard butt

This has gotten very gay recently, goodbye and not returning to this thread

This, niggas didn't watched Asteroid [1997]

>do we have the technology?
Hopefully not, I can't wait to see the whole planet go up in flames.

How can you see the planet go up in flames if you're already dead when the asteroid hits you?
You lose the satisfaction unless....you're in space working with the asteroids all along!

The Earth's destruction won't be instant, you would be able to see it gradually die as the shock wave, flames and debris spread across the Earth. That of course depends on where the asteroid hits, but I'm fine instantly dying knowing that the whole planet will die with me.

>be planet earth's scientific population
>conduct studies into planetary extinction events
>convene conference to discuss asteroid defense
>lobby governments for funding
>develop sophisticated deep space radar arrays
>deploy unmanned 'spacetugs' throughout solar system
>detect apocalyptically large asteroids on earth crossing path
>calculate course using distributed computing
>determine that collision appears imminent in twenty years for one of them and ten thousand years for the other one
>send spacetugs to nudge more immediately threatening rock into less planet-killy orbit
>great success
>...unfortunately, adjusting spacerock #1's orbit perturbs spacerock #2's orbit just enough to hit earth about nine thousand, nine hundred and ninety years earlier than it would've naturally
>human race spent trillions of dollars to accidentally wipe itself out a decade early
>kek

That's what a rock would say just to avoid suspicion that they're in fact a rock!

If nations decided to fire a nuke to destroy an asteroid and making it into smaller pieces and eventually falls down to earth, woudln't that mean we're getting hit by mini radioactive asteroids?

>Welcome to earth
Reminds me of refuees welcome

You retards know that you need to keep a laser on the asteroid if you paint it right? Fucking niggers

I can't speak for the radioactivity, but the same amount of mass split up into hundreds of thousands of smaller impacts, I imagine would be more than enough to get rid of the immediate threat of extinction. I'm not gonna pretend to have any idea as to how the radioactivity would work out though

>NASA has documented 95% of all objects floating around in our little solar system
>we know we know about 95% of the stuff out there that we're trying to find! THere's only 5% left to find!
sounds like a paradox to me