/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Old thread: /fglt/ - Friendly GAHNOO slash LOONIX thread
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/actionless/oomox
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for freedom.

which distro should I try next

I've played with debian, ubuntu, clover, kali, freebsd

Install GuixSD

Slackware, arch, gentoo in that order

arch, use architect to install if lazy

Source Mage

LFS or Gentoo

tfw you come to Sup Forums for the /fglt and it's freshie fresh.

How do I add arguments to the encoder when splitting files with shnsplit? I can't make sense out of the help page, and it keeps throwing errors.
I have a single wav and a cuesheet, and I want to split them and convert to flac, like this
shnsplit -f cuesheet.cue -o flac input.wav
but how would I pass the --best flag for flac compression level for example?

You're tkn ur gf 2 da bar and this thing walks up and slaps GNU on your ThinkPad. How do you respond?

Very nice custom color match for Sup Forums blue, frend. Is good meme.

I just installed debian (including non-free/contrib/etc) packages, and it's great.

Except video playback sucks ass.

I have an AMD card, how can i make it not suck ass?
I was able to play probably 10 videos at once with my last setup (iirc was Mint based) on this computer.

Where you get debian with nonfree wifi encluded?

you'll have to go through ME first

dumb whore
chinatsu is only good for hatefucking

i want to hatefuck and nakadashi chinatsu

>mfw stuck at work with all Sup Forums images blocked so I can't see all this delicious Yuruposting until I get home
>mfw I have no face to post

Exactly!

What a shame user, you're really missing out.

Chiina is a good girl

I am curious about how I would go about getting the best peformance with a Windows virtual machine. I understand I should be using KVM, but what is the best option for graphics? I see a ton of options like virtio and virgl, but I am not sure which one to use with a Windows guest.

How do I make the i3bar invisible if I'm using a compositor (compton)?

i want to nakadashi chinatsu

no you don't

i want to nakadashi chinatsu and become a family man

chinatsu is for akari ONLY

user, prepubescent girls can't get impregnated.

Then literally why do we have laws to protect their virginity? No harm no foul right?

Im new to LEDE but this should block my printer from reaching out to the internet right?
I don't know how to test it, it doesn't look like I can ssh into it or issue a ping command anywhere the printer is a HP Deskjet 3510 if that helps any.

im thinking of getting Zorin OS, is anything just as comfy and nice? its basically a ubuntu bloated and reskinned right?

I just selected everything here is that what I am suppost to do?

this

>prepubescent
>middle school
Pick one.

I like the Ubuntu gnome version quite a bit and this is coming from a very veteran desktop linux user. I'm not some crazy 1337 ricer or anything but I've used Linux regularly since 2005 or so. So I'm conflicted.
On one hand I love how minimal my arch installations end up being and I LOVE the aur. Seriously, aur == best thing about arch. On the other hand it seems that the default Ubuntu desktop enviornment is ideal for my laptop.
Any idea how I could get the best of both worlds?
What would I have to install to go from a ubuntu server install to the ubuntu gnome iteration and NOTHING else?
What if I wanted to copy it on arch?
I really don't need much of any software I do my file management, system maintaince, music, and torrents from the termal. Just need my browser and feh yet the stock Ubuntu ISO has like 150 packages or something.

does Chinatsu have pubes

Good thread.

>

wait i meant

I just installed manjaro for the first time and my x key is not working on the terminal.

working everywhere else, even in vim but not in the terminal itself, it was working normally before and it's just the x key specifically, no idea why that happened or what is causing it, anyone has any idea?

yes china has probes

they recently sent one to the moon

fixed it

how?

I installed Elementary OS today, early in the morning.
>pretty bushed metal look
>comfy
>easy to use
>simple UI that someone who never used a computer would understand

And that's why it's bad

>Wants a computer that is easy to use
>bad
Some people don’t want a over complicated system like a tiling wm that requires you to edit config files to not look ugly.

I know how to use a terminal, but I like things that just werks

My pc is making an annoying beep every time I press backscape and there's nothing in the box, so I added xset b off to inputrc instead of xinitrc, just removed it afterwards and x started working again

But for some reason the command xset is not working in the xinitrc file, so I think I am doing it wrong, where am I suppsed to put the bash commands in the xinit file?

Whoever want's something that is "easy to use" is fucking lazy or brainlet

assuming that the thing you do the most is use the computer

Recently made the switch here because I wanted to force myself to quit gaming. Haven't gone back

>manjumbo
>solarized
So many things wrong with picture

manjaro just fixes all the unnecessary autism of arch, so either youre an autistic arch user or an antergos fag

>comfy and problem free
>lazy

You're right, I fixed my term colours

>I wanted to force myself to quit gaming.
...why would you want to do that?

I forgot, to trigger you even more, I use GNOME
Because I want better uni grades

Still wrong

>preferred colour scheme
>wrong

>washed out colors that prevent you from focusing properly
>wrong

I can focus just fine my friend, I do use Monokai Pro for text editor though which is a bit more contrasted

force yourself to quit this shithole and you're set on a straight path

Anarchy Linux, BunsenLabs, Manjaro, Source Mage.

Sitting on 94% for one of my subjects at the moment and ~90% for my others, feels good man

do I care?

yes you do

it was a rhetorical question

no it wasn't

This thread has completely gone to shits.
As a GNU/Linux thread, it has failed.
Let's go back to Yuru posting.

Stop bullying Akari

i want to FUG akari

don't

Was contemplating on using bspwm on nixos but not sure if it's worth the effort (not that I have other things to do). Currently using XFCE as media keys work which have been a pain since dwm (I had custom patches which I now can't get to) and in general the other thinkpad hardware controls.

>not sure if it's worth the effort
it's

i want to bully akari's tiny bean

why does she have 0 nose and 1 nostril?

Is there a gui gtk3 theme editor?
Like the window opens up and you can click on the parts you want to change colors and you can change the entire gui element

Guys, is 60C CPU 24/7 alright for my laptop? The heat doesn't bother me here in the Arctic. Just can't make it run cooler under Linux.

github.com/actionless/oomox

Do Yurubros like my desktop?

it's not a nostril, it's the shadow behind her infinitesimally small nose

it's cute, but why not have the window border color distinguishable from the background?
also, remove that line beneath your firefox tabs

Raw PCIe passthrough. Give it a full physical GPU.

I have thought about it but it's a pain to recolor the theme. When I'm bored I will think about it.

Don't bully.

Thanks for the advice user. Now I actually regret having a K cpu as that sounds pretty rad.

Alright /fglt/ I'm gonna admit I'm a bit of a gaymer fag. However I notice nearly everything I play is support in some manner.
System specs are:
Ryzen 3 1300X, RX 480, 8GB RAM, Bluetooth headphones, wired microphone, Xbox One controller, 525GB SSD.
How would I go about getting WoW working on a Linux distro? Difficult thing is going to be drivers I assume. Specifically for my GPU, I've seen amdgpu-pro around but I haven't had much luck getting it to work. Something about the drivers for the RX series being built into the OS already?
I would also probably need to run on wine-staging too wouldn't I? Do I need specific drivers to get the X-One controller to work?
Can anyone also explain the whole Ubuntu-Amazon thing for me, is Ubuntu still not safe to use botnet wise?

Protip: Install ubuntu, use the graphical driver install for the GPU drivers and save yourself days, weeks, if not months of googling and trying to do it manually yourself.

Unless you already know what you're doing, if you plan to play games just go Ubuntu. That is if you value your time, of course.

>try to join local LUG
>they have like 10 members and are almost dead

>How would I go about getting WoW working on a Linux distro
google + wine
>is Ubuntu still not safe to use botnet wise
as much as most other distros I suppose

Nice.
Tried a theme and exported it but it dosent seem to work for gtk3 themes,all my gtk2 windows have changed theme but the gtk3 windows havent, even after restarting that program

My local LUG consists of me and my dad.

>the whole Ubuntu-Amazon thing
that was before, it's no longer there now

the one near me (rustbelt valley Vermont) is 70yo plus. If they can do it why cant millenials?

Age has nothing to do with it, it's the conditions computers were at when they started using them. Obviously a computer user from the 80's and 90's has better chances of learning do-it-yourself things like loonix unlike millennials which have been babied by Micro$haft and Applel with retard system-user interaction.

Millennial largely don't know how to use a computer.

S-so should I go to their events?

Go back to Mint faggot, Debian is one of the shittest distros out there and a complete meme.

If you're good at socializing then yes.

yes, why not?

I'm not... will they judge me too much.

I'm really quite scared as a NEET.

My god this is frustrating the shit out of me. All I want is a simple 12db boost on the 50hz frequency on my bluetooth headphones for a bass boost, just like I had in Windows. I'm running Ubuntu and I can't find shit.
Has anyone else figured this out without breaking their sound entirely?

Try Antergos with gnome. See what you think.