Anti-cheat software botnet

>played a decent amount of vidja in high school
>got into programming/reverse engineering, moved away from gaming
>decided to go back and take a look at how common anti-cheat systems for online games work
>botnet

Do any free software people here also play online games? Do you let anti-cheat software run on your machine?

Interesting post - opensource.stackexchange.com/questions/4449/how-can-cheating-be-prevented-in-a-floss-multiplayer-game

>in b4 go back to Sup Forums, maybe 4 people on that entire board have ever heard of WinDbg or gdb

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/feeds/videos.xml?channel_id=UClcE-kVhqyiHCcjYwcpfj9w
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

how is foobar2000 implicated?

closed source core

That doesn't make your pc part of a botnet, boy. Muh it's botnet unless proven otherwise, ever heard of burden of proof?

I see why that is a problem for some people but it seems bizarre to put foobar on the same level as Google and Microsoft.

I got adobe but i pirated it

Post yours, faggots.

Don't take this too seriously.

VAC literally scans your DNS cache

Well, guess I'm guilty of the Google one since I have to solve captcha to post but other than that I don't use anything in the pic

Intel? Is it like intel hardware or intel software?

facebook account, but logging hardly once a week
gmail alt account, youtube w/o account (RSS instead of subscriptions)
Adobe... still using flash for one thing
steam games I have are playable without being logged in, but need to download through it
using Windows sometimes, not on personal machines
using M$ antivirus on Windows, does it count?
cisco router
intel CPU, not autistic enough to run everything on ARM

how do I get rid of steam and youtube for a full bingo?

What do you use to keep track of the youtube rss? I tried using the channel ID method but no matter the code it would always return me some other random channel

How can you replace PayPal?

Totally switch to BitCoins for Internet purchases and use cash irl?

Using channel IDs, maybe you have wrong format. Example that works for me:
youtube.com/feeds/videos.xml?channel_id=UClcE-kVhqyiHCcjYwcpfj9w

what a shitty board
>no nvidia
>no amd
>no proprietary linux

stop playing games and watching youtube

in other words: grow up

I have nothing to contribute but anticheats are a interesting topic. and VAC sucks, easy to bypass even by people who don't know how to program and rely on copypasting

The Terminators wont find me

I don't even know what half of that stuff is

Fellow thirty-plus detected

>foobar
>Hamachi
>Botnet
What

I don't play multiplayer games.

>is free (gratis)
>is not free (libre)
>is a full version
>is not at least open source proprietary
>he doesn't think this is a red flag
The end user cannot confirm it's safe. The developer does not earn money on it since it's freeware. The case was identical with uTorrent until it was found out that it had a built-in bitcoin miner. While this isn't "malicious", it's definitely using your computer resources to earn the developers money without being upfront with you. Never settle to (((freeware))) especially when equally good open source alternatives exist. If you want to use proprietary software then at least make sure it's from a credible source and is actually pay-to-use. Anyone who charges money for a product wouldn't risk implementing malware without at least admitting to it in the terms of use (as is case with Microsoft and Google).

Burden of proof doesn't apply here because only foobar dev has the source code and it is impossible for anyone else to prove botnet exists without reverse engineering. It's only up to the dev to prove that the software isn't malicious. The software is *potentially* malicious. So it's only common sense not to use it.

>bitcoins
No. Tether is a better option. It's always going to be 1-1.05USD. It's non-volatile so there's no risk of losing cash unless USD crashes.

>this is your mind on freetardation

Honestly that's kinda worse. Pirated software sometimes contains Trojans.

>everybody on Sup Forums uses Steam
I thought I was talking to adults on here.

So, what's a decent FOSS alternative to Foobar?

I haven't logged in in nearly a year but I marked I 'use' it because if I had a reason to I'd get on but nothing is too much fun anymore. I'm becoming you I guess

There really isn't any way to implement anti-cheat that doesn't involve something invasive like checking active memory.

There's virtually no good games being made. They stopped being made ~2007ish

Everything since has just been awful and the gaming scene today pretty much isn't even worth bothering with. There's maybe 1 release per year that I might get as far as trying, let alone buying.

Been cutting down. I do have to use Gmail and Google Docs occasionally for work/school.

The "gaming scene" is absolute cancer.

Yes, as a matter of fact the only online multiplayer games I play are opens source. They aren't FOSS though unfortunately

How is Intel botnet?

Clementine. It's much better than foobar.

Management Engine

blue means i stopped using this

Does spotify webplayer really count ?

Intel Managment Engine

you cant escape the botnet

It also looks like shit.

Both look like shit. Both can be customized.

> linkedin
I work
< intel
I work

Underrated

I still play a couple PC games, although for the most part I focus on work.

My work machine is an X220 running Gentoo Linux, and it uses a very minimal amount proprietary software because it is inevitable.

My gaming machine, I built from scratch and installed Windows 10 on. It is a padded cell for all the terrors of NT that allow me to play games on steam.

Didn't go too badly
>no paid software
>spotify subscription
>facebook for messenger, snapchat for nudes
>android with all of Google history off, forced location disable
>paypal because ebay is a cuck

gottem

linux with steam and fucking adobe ?
you are the worst

help me out here Sup Forums. I won't be getting a new laptop anytime soon (so Apple is staying), but gimme alternatives for the rest of these.

Can anyone explain the Ubuntu-Amazon thing? Is Ubuntu still not confirmed clean anymore or what?

i like my shitty games and flash animations, what can i say?

GNU Taler

Gentoo

kek

but... muh freedum...

says the one on a anime website

have to use google's captcha botnet just to respond to this thread.

>Do you let anti-cheat software run on your machine?
No, I bypass it.

r8

What game? Aesthetically it kind of reminds me of dwarf fortress w/ alt texture pack...

>kikebook
I have people that I'm friends with that won't communicate any other way.
>microsoft
I've killed it from my main machine, but I have a separate machine that does nothing but play games that I run Win 7 on. I do mean nothing but games, it doesn't even have a web browser or a media player installed on it. I blocked the telemetry patches.
>steam
but muh gaymes
>intel
said vidya machine was built when Ryzen wasn't a thing and wouldn't be for like a year and a half. My main machine is an x58 rig, if you want to pay to make it a threadripper, be my guest. Not like AMD is free from botnets at ring -2 and under, anyway, they have the same shit Intel's doing. Year of the MINIX desktop.
>paypal
I'm too lazy to pay for my VPN and seedbox with cryptocurrency, gift cards, or cash in the mail. If they even accept cash in the mail.

Why is ghostery botnet too?

I haven't even heard of you.

You have now lol

>no microsoft
>feelsgoodman
google and gapps is next

I barely use any of those things.

It is proprietary trojan horse spyware.

>cisco
>Botnet
Got any proof?

Are you lonely
Also checkem

is this loss?

Well I'm pretty fucked I guess

Swedebro shamefully reporting in

Success?

none of those are botnet if you never connect to the internet

>snapchat for nudes
How does one get nudes from snapchat. It's too botnet for me to have tried.

Adobe is programs are pirated so not sure if they connect to the internet

Tether is about to blow up and get the feds knocking on their door

I only use the Microsoft botnet.

No Google, no Facebook, no Apple etc.

Eventually I will get rid of the Microsoft botnet too.

I use Dropbox but only.for encrypted stuff, and I have to use Outlook but I hate it with a passion and blocked cookies and never use it for personal or sensitive stuff

>Unreal 4

u w0t m80

>Discord not pictured at all
>AMD's equivalent implementation of a "management engine" backdoor nowhere to be seen
This is old as fuck.

Use mumble

I've seen a a bunch of fun platformers and single player FPSes. Multiplayer's mostly been PUBG FUNNY MOMENTS EPIC RAGE KID EPISODE 4894 and maybe one or two fighting games.

Any good alternatives to hamachi? My ISP doesn't offer public IPs

The only Google shit I use is jewtube, and I play gaymes.

You have microsoft on their twice.

And I am not convinced half of these are actually botnet.

That said, I still didn't win the bingo game.

A decent router which can forward ports and a DDNS service.

>lastpass
Consider Bitwarden

add sluts get nudes.

Oh nice, it supports yubikey too.

That was the reason I was using last pass, encrypts with pass and with yubikey too.