Lads, do you really NEED a giant ass power supply...

Lads, do you really NEED a giant ass power supply? I have a 600w and use a 1080ti so what the fuck is the point of going any higher?

>what the fuck is the point of going any higher?
You go higher if you want more power, duh.

That's the thing though. You will never need more power unless you have a meme setup with 2 gpus or some shit

1: PSUs operate most efficiently at about 80% capacity.
2: Gold-rated PSUs will save serious computer users money in the long run. Higher than that's probably overkill, but there's more to quality than efficiency rating.

Obviously it's possible to buy "too much power" and just waste your money, but you definitely don't want "just barely enough."

stop wasting new threads, retard

I only every run single GPU, so platinum rated around 600-700W is best. If you don't get some kilawatt PSU you can afford to get a more efficient one too, they also come with a better warranty (my seasonic comes with a 9 year)

I was going to buy a 650w psu but they had a 750w (same brand and model) on sale for literally $1 more so I figured why the fuck not.
Is there a problem with that?

Guessing here, but I'd imagine a PSU built for 850w is going to be able to handle a 500w load like a champ for a long time, whereas a 550w might not do as well for as long.

It's almost like you're posting on a board full of enthusiasts that run two gpus...

not at all

i have a 1800x and a rx480 and im using a 400w psu, and i could probably use a 300w or 350w if i had the balls to do it.

runs quieter
higher quality components
lasts longer as a result
learn something

Efficiency peak. Thank you for calling tech support.

I have an r9 290, so I'll be keeping my 750w for now

Maybe using multiple GPU's?
Or using server hardware...
Or a setup to mining bitcoins?

Not every supercomputer is only for gaming.

Most systems are fine with 500w or less.

Well I think that as a psu ages which will happen a lot faster if it's on 24/7, the capacity to keep output constant gradually goes down hill. So that 500w psu will only handle 400w 2 yrs from now if on for 24/7. also the wattage don't mean shit, the computer will only draw what it needs, no more, so your bill will not be affected any if you go over and get a 700w psu when your computer draws only 300w.

Have had my corsair PSU since 2009 pic related.

Time to buy a new one? I've never had a dual gpu setup.

>1800x and a rx480 and im using a 400w psu

how bad is your coil whine?

Fuck me, im using an 850w coolermaster...
>that I bought from CompUSA.

I should buy a smaller one huh?

i5 3470
GTX 970
275GB SSD
1TB HDD
4TB HDD

All of this is running perfectly on a 500W EVGA PSU.

1950x
2x fury nitro
240gb ssd
2tb hdd

i think 1000w is fine

>wattlets in my Sup Forums
You have atleast 750w minimum to post in this board and 1200w to create threads

wattlets fuck off

>mfw ryzren 1400 + 1050 ti
>500w 80+ bronze

I bet I'd even be fine with a 400w

>750w

You have exactly one post to explain why would somebody need 750w in a non-gaming PC before I tell you to fuck off Sup Forums,

I just use two PSUs in the same computer.

Most people here dont and just buy them because they're retards who think moar is better. But people like me arent poor and have more than 1 CPU and GPU and 16 disks.

not that user but pic related

>not that user but pic related

>server
Tyrone give it back

Got a link? Or is it not ongoing anymore

No you don't. While I have a 750W, I was aiming for a particularly well reviewed model rather than a wattage bracket.

13.8v 70A ICS 57A continuous

yeah 600w is sooooo much

A good quality 550W will run a 500W load longer than a bad quality 850W.

>Well I think that as a psu ages which will happen a lot faster if it's on 24/7, the capacity to keep output constant gradually goes down hill. So that 500w psu will only handle 400w 2 yrs from now if on for 24/7.
This is bullshit if your components don't run too hot which they will not if they are of high quality.

>also the wattage don't mean shit, the computer will only draw what it needs, no more, so your bill will not be affected any if you go over and get a 700w psu when your computer draws only 300w.
Except for when your PC is idling, which can be 50-90% of the time, where a smaller PSU of the same quality is more efficient.

Conclusion: get a high quality smaller PSU over a medium quality bigger PSU, especially if they're the same price.

I have two of them

I built my PC almost 4 years ago bro