Why haven't you bought a high refresh rate monitor yet? Even phones and tablets can do 120Hz now, you're not a hertzlet...

Why haven't you bought a high refresh rate monitor yet? Even phones and tablets can do 120Hz now, you're not a hertzlet, are you?
>B-but muh eyepeeess, muh color angles
They make 144hz VA and IPS monitors with sRGB, you have no excuse.

Because it's a useless effect that you forget about after five seconds. Not sure why I should care about it.

>thinks is posting on Sup Forums

because quality control is fucking shit and i dont want to RMA it 10-25 times to get a flawless product

Also, Curved panels sucks, VA Sucks, IPS Glow sucks, TN Gamma shift sucks.

Because I don't have any good reason to replace my current monitors. They may make 144+Hz IPS monitors, but typically only in 27" and up. They're also far more expensive than they're worth for someone who already has a halfway decent monitor.

Ive had a 144hz monitor for 3 years. Once you go high refresh you dont go back.

This. Currently only a few 1440p/144hz options, they're all a lottery with minor defects being a best case scenario and to top it off you pay $1k aud for the pleasure

This pretty much. I fell for the meme again on Black Friday and have returned four 1440p/165Hz monitors to Amazon over the past couple of weeks. All with unacceptable issues, at least when paying that fucking much.

I've gone back multiple times and I've always readjusted quickly. It really is a meme for desktop usage, bar making pretty trails with the mouse cursor and the occasional ultra-smooth sliding menu. For games it's real nice when you can hit close to the mark, but that requires turning down a lot of settings in more demanding stuff at 1440p, even with a 1080 Ti.

I bought the second (or third) 120hz monitor that was available several years ago, where were you?

Jokes on you. I kept my old CRT. It refreshes fast enough (>60Hz)

Why would I give a shit about high refresh rate? I'm not a gaymer, and everything else I would do is just fine at 60Hz.

I program using ED.

144 makes a huge difference for me in normal desktop/productivity usage too. Its painful using my work computer now

Should I just buy a TN? All the drawbacks and lottery and price of IPS displays don't seem worth it at all for a bit of colour. don't care about viewing angles as I don't tend to fly around my desk

Literally anything that uses a mouse benefits. Unless you just use a terminal for everything it will make a huge difference in productivity. It's true what they say about not wanting to go back to 60Hz, it feels so stuttery and slow. Even editing video/music feels nice at 144Hz.

I just switched to 144hz from 60hz, never going back.

Why is qc so fucking bad with monitors?

Panel lottery is a complete meme, you have terminal autism if you return a monitor for any other reason but dead pixels or other physical defects.

1080p/144hz is easy to push. Even 100fps feels much smoother than 60. Gta v at 110 fps on my 970 is very nice to look at.

Didn't the first few gens of 120Hz LCD's have horrible color banding?

The bleeding edge ones are like that because they just havent been making them long enough to perfect the process

Ive seen youtube videos of some of them having disgusting backlight bleed

lmao hello samsung employee

You realize pics and videos of backlight bleed depend entirely on ISO settings and aren't representative of real life, right?

144hz has been out a while, no monitors that are 144hz have good qc

>he doesnt own a 240hz monitor

Vg248qe and the other asus 1080p 144hz monitor have great qc

Why would 60Hz be not enough?

If you can see it with your eyes and it looks like ass its real life

My current monitor is a 10 year old acer (23" 1080p TN) and doesn't have the first dead pixel. Why would I buy a new one that I'd have to RMA 10 times and then fail in 2 years?

Whenever I can get a 40" 4k 144hz IPS panel for a sane amount of money I might consider 144hz

How would having the mouse cursor move slightly more smoothly cause a huge difference in productivity? It just sounds to me like you're trying to justify a purchase you know is unnecessary.

>tfw went from 120hz to 60hz

>slightly
Going from 60 to 144 almost feels as nice as going from 30 to 60. Also if you watch movies or TV shows you will benefit since at 60Hz any 24p content is juddery, while at 120/144Hz you can play movies with no judder.

60Hz is for TV's CRT monitors were routinely used at 70-85Hz. Gamers of course would overclock them even higher, you could get 100-120Hz by lowering the resolution. Hell, my CRT can hit 140fps at 320x200 for DOS games. While the main reason for sky high refresh rates on CRT's and projectors was of course flicker, the point is that 60Hz are a downgrade in terms of refresh rate. 72-75Hz is a much better default than 60 at the very least.

>feels nice
>watch movies or TV shows
Still not seeing any explanation for how this will result in a dramatic increase in productivity.

this
went from 96hz 2560x1440 to 60hz 2560x1600

literally don't give a shit because 16:10 is the only usable aspect ratio for doing anything other than >muh tv, muh vidya

I'm only speaking for myself dude, video editing is much more enjoyable on my 144Hz monitor simply because using the mouse is objectively better on it. Working on a 60Hz monitor feels slow in comparison. And if you're editing 24p content it makes sense to use a 120/144hz monitor so you can actually see how it's supposed to look rather than a juddery mess.

That's great, but I don't play games at high fps. Why should I not use 60Hz? It literally doesn't matter for shitposting or even watching videos

Did you guys adjust your mouse DPI when moving from 24" 1080p to 27" 1440p?

Scrolling any website is better as well, especially Sup Forums. High refresh rate LCD's have much reduced motion blur, which means text is more readable while scrolling. (Still not as good as a CRT of course, but much better than 60Hz) Also gaming LCD's usually have a feature called Overdrive, which reduced ghosting by overvolting your pixels. And if you want to go all out, you can eliminate motion blur by buying a backlight strobing monitor which runs at 120Hz, although if you don't play games or watch movies that's kinda pointless.

120Hz screens became an option after I got my laptop.

DisplayPort 1.4 doesn't even support native 4k/144Hz, it uses compression. I don't get why companies are advertising 4k/144Hz/IPS/HDR monitors now, when they'll officially only run at 4k/120hz.

>2560x1600

So what do I need that high a refresh rate for, exactly?

Can someone please explain to me why 144Hz is the a meme, and not 120Hz?

And if my monitor is at 144Hz and I'm watching a 60fps video, does that mean I'm dropping frames from the video since 144 isn't divisible by 60? Or how does that work? Assume no g/free sync

144hz displays first came about because of 3D, at first 3D TV's and monitors were 120Hz, basically 60hz for each image. Then the panel manufacturers realized 72Hz was better for 3D motion, so they made 144Hz displays. Even though 3D died 144hz monitors became popualr among gamers. As to why they replaced 120hz completely, it's just a case of being a bigger number. And yes, 60fps content will have some judder from repeated frames on 144Hz, you should typically underclcok it to 120 when watching 30/60fps Youtube videos, although it's hard to notice judder at 144Hz since the frames are updated so fast.

got a weird brand 1440/144 monitor (Agon, never heard of it) because its like 200 bucks cheaper than the others

works fine, but it has a single blue pixel that goes away when I rub on my monitor, one day its not going to disappear though, and I want something actually quality eventually

i have a 75hz monitor. does that count?

i do . 60 hz is hurting my eyes after using 120hz for so long

>tfw went from 1440p to 720p because I sold my worthless desktop

I don't see how a faster refresh rate is going to help me write programs any better.

>1080p
>TN
Those are enough reasons to switch.

Yeah using my work computer is pretty painful at first, takes a while to get used to 60 again. Every single morning I have to adjust my eyes.

I have looked, OP. It seems there are *literally zero* 144Hz 16:10 24" IPS screens that I could buy.

I can't afford it.

I just did this black friday. Samsung c24fg70
>144hz
>freesync
>quantum dot
>VA
>1ms response
>backlight strobing

color is as good as a decent IPS. there is some brightness grading, but it's subtle and only vertical. the contrast is where it beats TN and IPS handily, 3x the contrast of a typical IPS, with good blacks. it also doesn't have the backlight bleed most IPS do.

I need to install my new card to use freesync, and I need to switch to DP for 144hz, but I tried CS last night at 120hz with stobing a the effect is great. it's see something you haven't experienced before in a game. and it's addictive, once you have it you want that kind of smoothness as standard.

Are there any good IPS monitors that have a 1ms response time?

RREEEEEE

>BRIGHTNESS GRADING
REEEEEEEEEEEE

I'm waiting for 4K IPS 144Hz at a reasonable price

>i dont want to RMA it 10-25 times
find a physical store that has it so returns are quick and easy. I got a seemingly perfect one first try. I know it's easier said than done and you have to pay tax where you might not online, but knowing you can get a new one in 30 min is great.
>Curved panels sucks
it's a minor gimmick but a cool one. it doesn't cost a bunch more, and it's subtly more immersive for movies and games. even looking at a wallpaper.
>VA Sucks
samsung makes a pretty good one that isn't much of a lottery.
>IPS Glow sucks
yeah but only the cheap ones glow really bad, on a nicer panel it's much less noticeable than the horror pics you see
>TN Gamma shift sucks
yeah, but personally I never noticed much on my ASUS TN, and in the motion of the game you don't notice, unless you're playing a walking sim or something that has you look at level art a lot.

honestly if you hate all that stuff I wonder what monitor you do like. every technology has it's downsides. all you can do is pick a monitor where the downside is dealt with enough that you don't notice it.

worth it for all the good stuff. the lack of brightness uniformity and dark blacks would bother me more with IPS. and it's different from TN, where the grade is across the entire screen in a direction depending on how it's angled. on VA it's from the center out, so the whole "grade" is less. it's impossible for me to tell dead-on.

what kind of gpu would you need to reliably push 1440p/144hz?

I'd say 1080ti

>but that requires turning down a lot of settings in more demanding stuff at 1440p

this is why I stuck with 1080. not only are 1440-4k monitors much more expensive (for the good stuff), but every one I have seen in large, so to me it's just "bigger", with more real-estate, not more dense to give more detail in a concentrated area which is what I would want. I''ll go 1440 when it's easy to hit high FPS on it and they're smaller and less expensive.

brainlet here, does a place like bestbuy or somewhere have 120-144Hz monitors you can try out? I've always had 60 and never had a problem but I want to be ruined

Yes, but just make sure the dipshits who set it up actually set it to 144hz.

not always, some actually have pretty good colors for TN. the problem is either due to panel or software problems, a bunch have some negative effect when the fast modes are turned on. like hatching, overshoot, undershoot, fucked up colors, etc. the most obvious of these is the ASUS 144hz that was on a bunch of sales this BF for real cheap. doesn't matter if all you care about is how smooth CS plays, but it is one of the first gen of faster LCDs, so it has problems (though they might have improved with later firmwares). In my experience you're much more likely to run into lottery/software problems on the highest end fast IPS monitors, just because they're trying to do it all, there is more room to fuck up. TN is more figured out.

Microcenter or Frys are your best bet, not sure if Best Buy has gaming monitors.

because I can barely run games past 100fps

>not using OLED
yeah enjoy your 120Hz monitor you LCDfag

>144Hz IPS

What is the point of this?

>I want high refresh rate for sicc gaming reflexes but I'm okay with the higher input lag of IPS

If you're getting IPS you don't need 144Hz. If you're getting 144Hz you don't need IPS.

microcenter is best if you have one. best buy has some too. it's hard to fully judge until you play a game you know well on it though, and feel how smooth and quick every movement action feels. there are youtube videos of CS that at 60 FPS but slowed down on purpose. loading one of those up on a display unit at 120hz and setting the speed of the video to 2x gives a decent approximation. or bring your gaymer laptop and try it out.

IPS input lag on a good monitor is slower than TN but still more than quick enough for gaming. the difference between 1ms and 30 should put you off IPS for gaming, but 8ms or around there is fine.

if youre "hardcore" gamer you wouldnt care about pretty colors or viewing angles and stick to a faster TN

you can be a competitive gamer and a videophile hoarder at the same time, user.

besides if you can afford it, why not get the best of both? I play single-player pretty games too, and I would like them to look richly colorful and have smooth motion. I also watch video when I would rather be at my desk than at my TV.

the level to which TN is faster between two gaming monitors (the other being IPS or VA) is so small it's meaningless, even for a pro. the choice of TN between two gaming monitors is just for price. either it's outright cheaper or the choice of TN allows you to afford higher res, or curved, or ultrawide.

enjoy your PenTiLE display faggot.

literal trash tier pixel layout.

>find a physical store that has it so returns are quick and easy. I got a seemingly perfect one first try. I know it's easier said than done and you have to pay tax where you might not online, but knowing you can get a new one in 30 min is great.

Fuck off m8, i live in United Emirates of Yurop, do you really think we still have stores here?

>it's a minor gimmick but a cool one. it doesn't cost a bunch more, and it's subtly more immersive for movies and games. even looking at a wallpaper.

Its a fucking terrible meme for monitors, enjoy your shitty curved lines

>samsung makes a pretty good one that isn't much of a lottery.

No they dont, the CFG series is shit, and has a poor pixel layout, kys.

>yeah but only the cheap ones glow really bad, on a nicer panel it's much less noticeable than the horror pics you see

Eat ass monitor shill, even the 700 USD ones have horrible Quality Control, like the XB2701H or whatever its called.

>eah, but personally I never noticed much on my ASUS TN, and in the motion of the game you don't notice, unless you're playing a walking sim or something that has you look at level art a lot

Youre fucking blind mate, is image related you irl?

This is a fair call.
t. guy with 2x 144Hz monitors - one TN, one IPS

I'm waiting for affordable qHD IPS monitors with a decent refresh rate and panel uniformity.

Right now they're 6-800 bongbux which is about double what I'd pay. Right now I'm using 2 x 27" IPS panels which would cost less than a single high refresh rate IPS and that is bs.

LCD and CRT are complete and utter dog shit technologies, and OLED only looks good temporarily due to its poor lifespan.

I gave up on even thinking about spending much money on a monitor until MicroLED is ready for prime time. Until then, I'm just using a basic 1080p 75 Hz LG IPS that was cheap.

High refresh rate monitors are only worth it over 4K if you're a gamer manchild. Surely 4K 144Hz would be the best, but it's not possible with current tech.

>he sold his monitor instead of plugging it into his laptop
>he got a sub-1080p laptop

My next monitor does 48Hz

Among many other problems, yeah. I've had a few more since then, but I've been using a 40" 4K display for a few years now and I don't think I can go back to small monitors anymore (too cramped).

>framelets

How much does acer pay you?

Because we are now living in a time where if you don't have a compatible video card then features are unavailable unless you buy a compatible monitor.

>going from 30 to 60
Dramatic, life-changing improvement

>going from 60 to 120/144/165
Noticeable improvement, but ultimately up to personal preference and many don't think it's worth the extra price and resolution compromise

>going from 144 to 240
Is it even noticeable at all outside of professional esports?

144 to 240 is noticeable, but in game when you are concentrating on other things, you wont notice a difference

My monitor is IPS 1080p 75hz 1ms with freesync.

Just werks

this is sadly fucking spot on, first two 2411z's had dead pixels, 2411 from bfriday had a bleeding spot.

reccomend buying screens irl and asking to test it in store before you buy it i guess

haha no ur a retard ur eyes cant see this blackhole on the middle of ur monitor uits not actually visible irl

In first world countries, such as countries of EU you can return stuff without reason within certain time frame, so it's actually better to order stuff just to make sure you don't overlook something.
But even then it's a fucking pain in ass and why I'm using 1200p ultrasharp. I tried switching to 1440p and gave up after first return. Maybe next time.

OLED has hideous motion blur just like LCD's until they make one with backlight strobing. OLED isn't worth it unless it's high refresh rate, and even then they still have to solve the color degradation/burn-in.

Why the fuck would I buy one of those? I prefer a 10bit monitor

>enjoyable
Fuck this shill, that's not a huge difference in productivity.
Going over 60hz is a meme, confirmed, and this fucker fell for it.

Literally not a single computer monitor was ever 60Hz before LCD's you retarded shill. You willingly eat whatever shit you're given, we went from 75-90Hz to 60Hz so LCD manufacturers didn't have to spend any money on making different panels than TVs. Same reason 5:4 and 16:10 are dead, 16:9 is cheaper. 60Hz monitors are an objective DOWNGRADE, you don't think having the mouse feels like laggy shit hurts productivity? There's a reason movie producers realized that 60Hz sucks for 3d and upgraded to 72Hz, 60Hz isn't good enough for smooth motion.

>paying more for more herz
And you're calling me a shill, they're different technologies, productivity wise it doesn't matter. I expect bigger color resolution instead of refresh rate, I give two craps about smoother movements, I don't even see the fucking mouse.

Seriously, unless you're a gaymer 120hz is a meme.

yes and no. If the video is capped at 60 fps you wil have some stretched frames but most movie / tv content is at 24fps, which does scale to 144 and has stretched frames on 60