Why are companies moving away from ps/2 and to usb even thogh ps/2 is superior for keyboards or mice...

why are companies moving away from ps/2 and to usb even thogh ps/2 is superior for keyboards or mice? im worried that eventually motherboards with ps/2 support will stop being made

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>usb
it's in the name

Even the latest AMD Threadripper has motherboards with a ps/2 combo port and according to level1techs you can get a splitter to use both KB and mouse on the one combo port

No one cares about your dying standard

what's so great about "muh ps/2", does it reduce input lag or something?

USB works by polling (usually it's 125, 500 or 1000 Hz). IIRC PS/2 sends interrupt signals straight to the CPU. There's no noticeable benefits either way

Yep, that's exactly it.

nkro

PS/2:
>direct cpu interupt
>lower powered
>secure from external malware

USB:
>polling intervals every 100ms or w/e via microcontroller (then forwarded to cpu)
>open to flash based malware
>could spoof or be implanted in mouse/keyboard
>base power is 5v 1-4a (depending on usb

PS/2 can recover from segfaults and other related halting.
Think of stuff like REISUB but there's actually a whole list of commands.

Base power is 5V .5A

That's good to hear!
Since Ryzen has support that means RavenRidge does too!
Hopefully we see some AM4 ITX boards that utilize the CPU microcode and apply PS/2 hardware.

The problem is board manufacturers implementing the actual ports.
Cheap bastards!

Pretty sure it's at least double during traffic use...

PS/2 also saves a extra USB port :}

The only way I see a USB keyboard drawing more than standard .5A is if it's full of LEDs and/or screen(s)

that's not true anymore with the introduction of the usb 3.1 standard it can now function exactly like ps/2 as long as both devices support the feature, but since it kills compatibility with older systems no one is gonna use it.

>using a 10Gb/s port for a keyboard
Jesus, just include a PS/2 port.

>what are desktop speakers
>what is external storage
>what is a gigabit NIC

something something normies reee

None of those are keyboards, you illiterate fuck

USB can do it too though.

I was originally stating that the USB standard can be multiple Amps originally.
While the bus can be lowered in the use case of just a single keyboard or mouse if it's still operating on another port that adds up on the microcontroller and power rail itself burdening the rest of the system.

USB is always on even while is a lower powered state and everything is removed.

Yeah, if you waste a SuperSpeed USB port on a keyboard

Can USB 3.1+ still do this in the event of a kernel panic/seghault?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key

Of all the pieces of old tech I miss, PS/2 is not one of them. I buy motherboards with PS/2 ports for my model M, but it would very much be good riddance if I could upgrade that to a USB version. Not being able to hotplug keyboards without the risk of frying your motherboard is a complete pain in the arse.

>changes the mouse or keyboard with the computer on
>forced to restart for the os to detect it
>superior

OK guy

I'd imagine newer motherboards have a protection circuit of some sort

>what are desktop speakers
Who ever actually runs USB powered desktop speakers can fucking neck themselves

I had some Gateway ones like a decade ago and they were actually pretty nice. I've still got them somewhere.

Plug and play.

This.
I enjoy my USB ZFS raid array.

Those are the only USB ports I have except 2 USB 2.0 ports on the front of my case.

Technology companies have to be constantly moving away from something in general. That's the gimmick.

Same reason that computer companies are phasing out VGA display output. its fucking obsolete

>!
>!
>!
Stop

It's about utility. A hardware manufacturer only has so much space on a board to put different types of connectors. While you may think PS/2 is clearly superior, USB is much more useful for the average user. Deleting the PS/2 connectors in favor of adding 4 more USB ports is an easy choice to make when the vast majority of users don't care about how it works, just that it works.

>utilize the CPU microcode and apply PS/2 hardware
That is not how this works, PS/2 is provided by the superIO chip which is basically installed by default on every x86 motherboard

I read this like it was the EA Sports thing.

PS/2 keyboards have an embedded controller that polls the key matrix, just like USB. USB adds another level of polling to get the keyboard controller's status, but I don't think it's really noticeable. In all probability the logic on a PS/2 host controller is also synchronous with a low sample rate.

Most magic sysrq combos work on USB as well. The only thing I can think of that might not is kdb. Anyone who really cares about kernel debugging already uses something like kgdb over serial anyway so it hardly matters.

SuperIO a shit. Literally everything that a normal user needs is on the PCH and EC now. Look for vendors to drop it and pocket the 25 cents it costs them per board.

>what's the selling-point of this brand new feature?
>it's as good as what you had 30 years ago

Just kill all modern tech designers and engineers.

>changes the mouse or keyboard

OK guy