Programming

Ok Sup Forums i need some advice from the IT gods im into programming im good at HTML and CSS. Basic shit i know i know I want to learn a back end language i can get good at and make some money off. What would you suggest I learn? What language is in demand? Any good resources?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/EbookFoundation/free-programming-books/blob/master/free-programming-books.md
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Learn Go.

Whats go? heard of it never really checked it out

mern.io

This.

What language us in demand? JavaScript. I know that a lot of people here hate it but it's one of the most popular language right now and it's not going to change anytime soon. It's terrible as a language though.

All you need to know is:
> Designed by:
> Ken Thompson and Rob Pike ( Uinx, UTF-8 )
> Robert Griesemer ( ??? )
> Developed by:
> Google ( $$$ )

Python

It look like it will be more demand on Javascript. With your background on HTML and CSS will be perfect.

Your competition has motivation that you will never have, OP

If you want to actually get paid for stuff you need to learn Java or c# if you want to do windows stuff.

Learn how to work with data and databases. Sql, Stored procedures, etc.

Learn NoSQL stuff is good people pay for big data stuff.

Be able to code up REST clients and services. For Java you should know how to do servlets and other web frameworks. Spring is great too.

No one will remember what Rust is 2 years from now. No one will pay your doing node or javascript in general. Knowing python is nice but any real developer should be able to bang out something in ANY scripting language given 10 minutes and access to stack overflow.

also solid traditional board game

C++, C or Java. Maybe C#.

Don't go for an easy language like Javascript or Python

Python is never a bad choice for how universally useful it is. It's usable in just normal scripts/programs, network programming, webdev, data analysis and statistics, numerics and machine learning etc. It's not the best one in every (any) domain, but is classic choice there and tights the usecases together.

Swift if you love Apple
C# if you are full Microsoft
PHP if you want web backend and hate yourself
JS is all for web. Mostly client side front-end, but now used even on backend.

SQL is query language for databases. Working with databases is worth to learn and would recommend to everyone. Some languages provide their own query library that does not use SQL syntax. But if you learn SQL you should also learn how to work with databases, design tables and relations, construct the query correctly, performance pifalls and things. That is all transferable.

C++ if you want to do high performance physics simulations.

Go is also choice. It's getting some popularity in production world and many serious open source projects are using it. It's also used in web backend, and has nice performance. The thing with go is that it's stripped from many concepts languages use nowadays. Learning Go will only learn you really comfy useful language, but not some enlightening CS knowledge like e.g. Haskell would.

Official websites for newer languages tend to have good starting material. Don't miss list of free books on our wiki:
github.com/EbookFoundation/free-programming-books/blob/master/free-programming-books.md

Start with something simple and general, like C. It is very easy to learn and will help you develop your programming mindset. Pick up a C programming book, start doing exercises and do as many as you can. Challenge yourself, make some programs. Then, once you believe you are ready to specialize yourself, you can move to a more advanced language. C++ if you want to be a game developer. Java or C# if you want to be a general application developer. Python is also a good language but not very useful for general programs. It is mostly used by mathematicians and machine learning. There's also JavaScript, which has been growing in popularity a lot recently and it could definitely be the future. But whatever you do, please don't listen to the NEETs telling you to learn Haskell, Clojure or Lisp. Nobody uses that shit and it'll get you nowhere.

ASP.Net

Python is used for prototyping
Java is used for portable applications
JS is used for client side web applications.
PHP is not used that much anymore, but it was used for server side scripting.
C# is mostly used for windows applications.
Ruby is mostly used by activists.
Rust is mostly used by trannies
Swift is used for iOS apps.
C++ is used by people who wouldn't call html a programming language.
Anything can be used for server software.
Server software means either serving the html upon requests or communicating from the server to the client, sometimes both.

Start simple, then build on it.

fuck this crap

>PHP is not used that much anymore

php is not used that much anymore for new projects.
I know it exists for old projects

Don't listen to this user. He's clearly stupid.

>Java is used for portable applications
ufuckignwotm8

The internet basically runs off Java, It's still by far the most popular (by a HUGE amount) platform for writing web application backends.

>Ruby is mostly used by activists.
>Rust is mostly used by trannies
Ironically theses are the only languages you got right.

Python is used for a lot more than prototyping. It's one of the most useful scripting languages as far as batteries included and ease of use.
Java is used by predominately legacy software maintainers mostly in the financial sector. It's an excellent language to learn if you're looking for work but most jobs utilising it will have boring stacks and go almost no where.
JS is used for Web applications, server side and client side. I dare say it's the best, most profitable language to learn. JS plus a solid understanding of React/Redux and Angular will get you a job guaranteed.
PHP is used a lot in web development and is excellent for beginners. It's not the most profitable language to know purely because the candidate pool is ridiculously stupid and grabbing anything good from it is pretty difficult. Learn WordPress and how plugins work and you'll probably get a job.
C# is used mostly in intensive applications linking between B2B and B2C applications. With the onset of .net core it's in my top picks for languages to learn. It's profitable, well designed and easily transferable.
I know nothing about Ruby, Rust or Swift. I think you probably nailed those three though. Accident I'd bet.
C++ is for people who know they need it, if you don't know you need it then you most likely don't need it (html is a markup language, hint is in the acronym)

You don't know that of which you speak.

>i'm into programminig
>good at HTML/CSS
That's not programming faggot

>im into programming
>good at HTML and CSS
Thanks for the laughs, now go back to Sup Forums.

Neato

C# is used by literally every business on the planet because of Sharepoint, and because it's horrifically complex it makes developers suicidal causing a turnover that leads to ridiculously high wages.

kek, its true. We were forced to learn this shite. Didnt care, getting paid.

i'm being forced to use that piece of shit at uni. it's been weeks and the most basic shit is either impossible to do, or breaks for no reason at all. have to present the finished product next week, but it's not even close to being done because i'm too busy having suicidal thoughts. i will never touch ASP.NET or Sharepoint again in my life. starvation is a much preferred alternative.

> because of Sharepoint
*vomits internally*

>UNIX
>Haskell
>Hadoop
>????
>Profit

Still wrong.

it's a shit language that because of its simplicity(lack of features) results in un-maintainable spaghetti code and ends up being more verbose and less expressive.

also lolnogenerics.