What is the technical reason why Steam has different games for Windows and OSX and LINUX?

What is the technical reason why Steam has different games for Windows and OSX and LINUX?

Isn't Steam like an emulator?

Other urls found in this thread:

polygon.com/2017/5/16/15622366/valve-gabe-newell-sales-origin-destructive
instagram.com/p/BbTBiWGD0Un/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No, what the fuck. Steam is a medium for purchasing and selling games.

Nope.
Steam offers a set of standard libraries for the linux game, so you don't have to deal with dependency hell or having to rebuild the game around the current linux install.
But it don't wine.

Dumb nigposter go back to >>>/leftypol/

Steam is like the PlayStation store but for computers you dingus.

No, you are technologically illiterate. I'm suprised you know what an emulator or linux is. Steam is just a store. A lot of games use shit like directX which linux doesn't have.

think of steam as the middleman that takes a cut of your dope, when if you really apply yourself you can get your dope for free and not have to worry about the middleman pinching your stash.

sage

>so you don't have to deal with dependency hell or having to rebuild the game around the current linux install.
The only reasons it is hard to deal with dependencies is because it is proprietary software.

Why is Steam so powerful?

Can't Microsoft or someone else just make their own store with the same games?

no

They can try, steam got powerful because it offered the right features at the right time.

Also Gaben is cuddly and he hates it which is cute

polygon.com/2017/5/16/15622366/valve-gabe-newell-sales-origin-destructive

The reason it's hard to deal with is because Linux is massively fragmented bullshit that makes Android look cohesive in comparison. As long as it stays that way, Linux will always remain a freetard's toy OS in the consumer space.

Yes, you can rebuild your whole shit over and over and that's the point etc etc etc etc etc..
But steam found a good way to deliver proprietary software, but still keep compatibility with it.
They have this "spearhead" you compile on whatever gentoo you feel like, and it loads the binary shit, no worries.

That's Mafia tier

dumb niggrposter

fuck off niggerposter

No.
Steam is not an emulator, that is a retarded thing to say.
Steam does not emulate anything, it would be insane (and idiotic) to try to emulate something to run modern games.
It would come at gigantic amounts of performance loss.

Aside from that steam is an online store/ social media program/ game distributor.

It distributes different versions of games for each platform, these versions are created by the game developer or a contractor of the game developer/publisher, never by valve directly (aside from valves own games).

They are the market leader.
Microsoft/EA/etc. have stores too, just not as pupular.

Triggered samefag

Steam is like YouTube, it was the first service in its category to became hugely successful, so now users don't want to switch to other platforms, because using multiple platforms for the same thing is a pain in the ass.

Mom look I posted again

Congratulations?

>Valve supports Linux
So BTFO everything else. Even if it's a proprietary software it's more or less a good thing.

I see you're back with your nigger pictures and stupid questions only to make threads. Must be a sad life

Still much better than windows or fagOS

>calling linux fragmented after flatpack

This is some good bait

macOS has everything inplace tho

That nigger has massive fucking hands.

Holy shit, I where is the full painting of this image? Everytime I see it it makes me chuckle.

She should rub my dick. I'm tired.

instagram.com/p/BbTBiWGD0Un/
Evil trips checked.

Oh my god, I don't even.

You're always tired.

True, I just wanna go home user.

>EA: Let's fill all our roster with full priced games packed full of micro-transaction hell while barely maintaining our servers so they only run most of the time but throttle like shit. While we're at it let's buy and murder every beloved developer from our gamers' past and then churn our low effort garbage, ruining their franchises. WHY ARE PLAYERS NOT USING ORIGIN? WHY AREN'T PPL THROWING MONEY AT US?
>Ubisoft: LOL our DRM can't even tell a legit copy from a fake one.
>Sony: Our server's can't even handle the PS4's being connected to the internet. Cheaper to have Steam handle our ports.
>Microsoft: We'll just datamine the shit out of our users! Why sell games when we can sell the players?
>Steam: We make sure our servers are fast, our interface is clean enough, our discussion forums and review system aren't censored, and Windows, Mac, and Linux get full support.
If you want to compete with Steam you have to offer the customer a reason to use the service. GOG will always be a good competitor because they offer old games Steam doesn't and don't do DRM. Everyone else has nothing to offer besides AAA games that nobody wants because they're attached to the shitty clone of Steam that publisher is trying to push.