How do I find a hacker community?

>inb4 skiddie get out

I'm a computer science student with an interest in cybersecurity, currently working very hard to become an expert one day. I'm just looking for a community of people who have similar interests as me. Something like Sup Forums would be perfect if it wasn't 90% neckbeards who can't fizzbuzz.

I've tried other chans, and they're slow as fuck. I've tried contacting free software developers are mostly professionals ten times more experienced than me and don't care much about having a community (or already have one of their own). I've tried IRL, but my country is shit. I went to a few open-sores conferences and they were full of vegans, sjw web-designers and retards.

So where the fuck I'd find such a community?

You're a faggot and the community doesn't want idiots like you around. Maybe go to reddit.

Go argue about unix flavours, faggot

hackerforums

Kek, hackforums. A.k.a skid central, pic related (hackforums community)

If you really want to find a "hacker community" just find a random IRC.

Depends entirely on how good you are. If you have the basic tech skills (programming, networking protocols, etc...) most communities are quite welcoming. If not, join a group focusing on that first. Nobody wants to entertain a "lol how do I hack facebook" skid who can't even code.

Assuming you have the basic skills, have you tried looking for a hackerspace near you? The quality of those varies a lot, but you might get lucky.

Like you said, generic open-sores conferences are just a cesspool of retards, try a security focused one. Some of them are quite expensive, but there are also good ones which are free or cheap. Generally speaking, the more expensive something is, the more of a vendor circlejerk trying to shill their shitty enterprise appliances it will be. Also avoid academic conferences, those suck.

As for online communities, I don't really know. Forget chans, the format is simply not suitable for what you are trying to do. IRC might be better. You could also try looking for a CTF team, they generally don't have limitations on size so even if you don't contribute anything in the beginning you aren't hurting the team and there is always a lot to learn.

That movie was damage control, right? I mean look at that cast.

I'm a curious hmu with a email
[email protected]

>Depends entirely on how good you are.
I have basic cs-tier programming skills. Didn't do much network in college yet, but I know the difference between TCP and IP.

>Asuming you have the basic skills, have you tried looking for a hackerspace near you?
Nah, there aren't any in my country. Yea, I live in a shithole.

>You could also try looking for a CTF team
That would be nice. Any directions on how to do so? I've had an account on hackthissite.org and they sometimes do CTF, should I look there?

>I have basic cs-tier programming skills. Didn't do much network in college yet, but I know the difference between TCP and IP.
Sounds good, add DNS and HTTP to that list and you're pretty much golden for a beginner.

>That would be nice. Any directions on how to do so? I've had an account on hackthissite.org and they sometimes do CTF, should I look there?
I've never been looking for a CTF team, so I can't really help you there. There is at least one open beginner team that purely organises over the internet and accepts everyone who wants to join. I don't remember their name though. There was a thread on Sup Forums about them a while back, maybe you can check some chan archive.

Also there is a guy called MurmusCTF who livestreams his research on twitch. Maybe you can find some like minded individuals in his chat or at least get some advice on where to look.

Hackforums or those other forums are the best you're going to get. Everyone showing off what they did as often as possible and feeling proud for writing some dictionary attack in python and expecting to be called a god for posting 30 line source code.

You'll learn way more (albeit slowly) just writing stuff yourself and picking up info. I learned general security just by asking questions and reading articles when I wrote a small and shit mmo game. I learned to write strong viruses originally just intending to learn how to write external cheats for games.

If you continue CS you'll pick enough stuff up to figure it out yourself.

There's cyb/sec here but it seems you're a massive faggot

>There's cyb/sec here but it seems you're a massive faggot
If you visit cyb/sec here you're a massive faggot

Do you really think cyberpunk has anything to do with security?

Where do you live, OP?

check my IP idiot

First of all you need a hoodie, some fingerless gloves, a laptop, preferably a sony vaio, you need a Matrix screensaver, dark desktop wallpaper with a picture of a skull and the word "hacker" written under it. THEN finally you can go to cafes and hang out there dressed in all your gear until other people walk in looking similar to you. They will be easy to spot. Then you just walk up to them and say "what you greppin"? or some other cool stuff like that. Eventually after about 10 minutes they will ask you to join their sekrut Klub of 1337 h4x0rz

omg would be the best day of my life

Some conferences are full of weebs, but others are genuinely a good time. Derbycon and Toorcon are both good. Toorcamp is the best though - camping with a bunch of hackers is about the best damn time I've ever had. Otherwise quit being such a social outcast and checkout your local maker space

> full of weebs
> others are genuinely a good time
You say it like those definitions exclude one another.

>camping with a bunch of hackers is about the best damn time I've ever had.
Truth. I'm involved with the European camps; how is Toorcamp?

reddit.com