/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

innerfidelity.com/content/comparing-world-class-headphones-audeze-lcd-2
innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD600.pdf
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones#Frequency_response_charts
clarityfidelity.blogspot.com/2016/04/sennheiser-hd-600-over-ear-headphones.html
amazon.com/dp/B01L1IIF1K/
audeze.com/products/lcd-collection/lcd2-classic
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What is the second best set of headphones after the HD800?

What does "office use" mean exactly? Another user mentioned the 598 SR which look pretty good. I'd be using it for music listening, movie watching, minor sound design (I do game design as a hobby), and gaming.

Can you explain what it is exactly that makes open-backed better? My previous "headphones" were Turtle Beach X12's that had a bass boost dial. I've grown to think that I like bassier sounds and it seems like an open ear works against that. However, I have no clue what to expect because i have nothing to compare my most likely shitty headphones to.

whether or not it's open or closed a headphone can be bassy. However, the hd5xx and 6xx sennheiser headphones have piss poor bass extension and if you want good bass in headphones you should look into either planar magnetic or biodyna.

Fostex thx00, hifiman-he400i, etcetc

>what it is exactly that makes open-backed better?
Open-backed are better because they sound better at a given price point, thus you're getting better value for your money.
>office use
Open headphones do leak sound, so if there's people in the same room within a few steps and your music is loud, they'll hear your music.
Closed compromise sound and comfort to provide isolation.

>HD600
>30Hz at the same level as 1kHz
>extends down to 20kHz (like human ears)
Not "piss poor" by any definition.
Just not niggerbass... if you want that, you'd need hd800 or a planar.

>30hz -5db from 1khz according to every other source except golden ears
>roll off starts at 100hz
>-8db at 20hz
>high distortion bass
it's piss poor bass by extension and distortion definitions. if he's looking for decent bass, he should look elsewhere because you can't even EQ sub-bass to fix it without adding even more distortion.

besides the fact we are talking about the hd598 which has the same sub-bass roll-off, a worse upper midrange bump, etcetc

>upper midrange
mid bass. Excuse me

The bass extension is piss poor by your standards but it doesn't change the fact that their overall fidelity is unmatched.

Is there a buyer's guide for simple microphones? I don't really care about it too much but I want people on the receiving end to be able to hear me clearly. Most important feature would be some sort of mechanical mute toggle so I can quickly mute/unmute my mic when needed.

>overall fidelity is unmatched
>no sub-bass
>mid-bass bump
>treble roll-off
>narrow soundstage in an open back headphone

they are polite, mid-fi, and work well with shitty recordings. they are babbies first post purchase rationalization headphone.

>-8db at 20hz
Literally no bass!!!11

A good case for hd 4.50?

>hd800
>niggerbass

Wait what? How's that work?

>Want to buy a HD6XX
>Estimated ship date is Mar 28, 2018 PT.

Fuck.
Is HE4XX a good alternative?

you better be talking 650 here and not the 600 nigga. Besides the sub bass and soundstage parts anyway.

Just grab a HD600 today. It's better, too.

>Is HE4XX a good alternative?
If you don't mind a garbage rollercoaster frequency response and poor build quality then they're a good alternative.

>Can't find a HD600 under 350 bucks in my country.

Not him but save up. You won't find anything better around that price.

It's good for niggerbass lovers though. Like the tripfag.
So I've been looking at this,
innerfidelity.com/content/comparing-world-class-headphones-audeze-lcd-2
And I'm nearly sold on grabbing lcd-2c now. What's your take on them? Do they count as "good bass"?

>It's good for niggerbass lovers though. Like the tripfag.

I'd like to try it and see if it's actually good but I'd never pay that price for something from china land. It's supposed to be built like a piece of shit. Quite like the color of it though.

That's Grape-kun's girlfriend, you sick fuck

I'm considering picking up a set of planar magnetic style headphones out of sheer curiosity. Are the M560's still worth it if I can find a used pair?

What, you aren't into NTR?

This. One of the few posters on here that speaks the hard truth.

>pretends to be a speakerfag
>has shit taste in headphones
>is a ponyposter
>doesn't know about HRTF and has embarrassed himself on many occasions trying to post about the topic
Good joke.

The quality control is so bad they may as well be the same headphones.

The quality control of the 650 and 600 are bad? I have literally never heard this in my life.

Congrats on being ignorant, I guess. Go have a look at some measurements.

Just nonsense from the usual sennhating troll. Dismiss.

>Congrats on being ignorant, I guess.
>they may as well be the same headphones.

Look who's talking

The measurements speak for themselves.

Why don't you post one. And your headphones too while you are at it.

any way to force activate the quad dac for g6? with 1000xm2 btw

Here's one with godawful channel matching: innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD600.pdf
I'm sure you've already seen it before, so feel free to reply with your pre-arranged "rebuttals".
>And your headphones too while you are at it.
Not the slightest bit relevant to the discussion and I'm not going to fall for your red herrings.
If you're genuinely interested, you can find more measurements here: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones#Frequency_response_charts
Bye lol :-)

That wasn't me who said post your headphones etc btw. I don't get into that paranoid bullshit like most here.

clarityfidelity.blogspot.com/2016/04/sennheiser-hd-600-over-ear-headphones.html

Hmm...

What are the second best headphones behind the HD600?

>so feel free to reply with your pre-arranged "rebuttals".
>preemptive damage control because he knows it's a measurement of a faulty pair since once channel's 90 dB distortion is higher than the other channel's 100 dB distortion
>in b4 a single sample = bad QC
>in b4 laughable assertion this is simply bad driver matching
>in b4 posts his headphones
>OK, not the last once, since he has none

Do you have autism? or own the 600 and love them that much?

Either way stop posting this stupid shit.

t. 600 owner

HD600 is the best headphones ever made and is the peak of headphone engineering. Are you mad?

Post pics of your headphones NHA

amazon.com/dp/B01L1IIF1K/

For the poorfags in this thread

replacing snapped headbands isn't cheap

HD5XX doesn't snap.

Ah, I assumed this is what you were going for as I don't come here all the time .Now I know for certain.

Shut the fuck up you autistic prick. Guys, Imagine having actual autism lmao.

The cable for my Sennheiser IE8 IEMs has broken once again. Every couple of years, always during winter, these damn things break. It must be the cold weather.

Anyway, the cable is currently out of stock at the Sennheiser website. I'm open to third party cables, as long as they're no worse than the stock cable. Not looking to spend a bunch of money, $35 tops. Thanks in advance guys.

No idea but see if ali express have anything. Cables are cables. Unless they're complete cheap shit.

I checked but it's difficult to trust the reviews there. Some of the cables look decent, though. Now, if only they didn't take a month to arrive from China...

Ignore the reviews if the price is worth paying. In my experience waiting times from china are usually 2-3 weeks. If it's cheap enough go for it. I'd put money on the fact that a decent looking one sounds exactly the same as the stock cable.

>they are polite, mid-fi, and work well with shitty recordings.
They don't work with piss poor recording because of non recessed (and slightly boosted) upper midrange and overall smooth FR that won't accent or hind anything besides brining vocals up close. Bass roll off is there but the treble is perfect without being boosted like on any other open dynamic or planar like beyers or hifiman or dark like on audeze or nighhawk, everyone hears it including Tyll, you don't need a spiky HF to mask the rest of them.

what do you guys recommend for the gym?

Horizontal Seated Leg Press.
Lat Pull-Down.
Cable Biceps Bar.
Cable Triceps Bar (or Triceps Pushdown)
Chest Press.
Hanging Leg Raise

Root and force it or give it a load over 50 ohms. I'm using an impedance adapter with my V20.

>be yuropoor
>cost +135 bucks because of the import fee deposit (+22.71 USD) and shipping (13.61 USD)
>an HD 6XX cost $60-70 more in niggerdrop

Squats
Deadlifts
Bench
Lat Pulldown / chinup / pullup
Overhead press
any form of rowing

wireless headphones

fewer reps, more weight

fewer weight, more reps

HD 650/6XX > HD 600, what are you mongrels on to think otherwise
btw every other headphones besides the HD 800 are irrelevant and you know it

500 burpees every day

any opinion on the hd660s?

Shaking a virtual glowstick while listening to Love Live // iDOLM@STER music on schiit stack + hd600.

get the lcd-2c instead while it's on preorder audeze.com/products/lcd-collection/lcd2-classic

$100 to send to Europe, and then customs.
I'll take a wait and see approach. Will order if it's still cheap and it measures/reviews well after it starts shipping.
Else, fuck it. Maybe some other time.

>Will order if it's still cheap
why on earth do you think it will be? you're killing me here user

HD600 > HD660 > HD650.
Price will get you the actually good HD800 easily, on sale or 2nd hand.
If you really want something hd600-ish, grab the hd600, which isn't just the best, but also the cheapest of these.

Bump

I own 250 ohm DT770s and will soon be using T50RPs as well, which I believe are just as hard to drive if not more.

my portable amp is a Fiio A3 and I'm starting to think it's not nearly powerful enough. still sounds better than anything I currently own, but there's some noticeable distortion the more I near max volume.

is there a portable amp that can drive both of these and doesn't cost a fucking grand?

fiio a5 does 1W for $80 used

>why on earth do you think it will be?
Because it's a holiday price and the holidays haven't started for most people.
>you're killing me here user
I've spent some time these past few days reading about LCD-2 and Audeze in general.
What I found is that it's more expensive than announced, as they don't have a proper EU shop and shipping/customs is a serious problem, and that it has a way too high chance of being a regretted purchase, as per strong/weak points in reviews and from LCD-2 pre-fazor FR, nevermind the fact LCD-2 weights a ton.
Somehow, what I read manages to make the hifiman (not touching that brand) HE-500 look far more appealing.
I could just do it (pocket change), but it seriously seems more trouble than worth. Maybe I should just pool the money towards a future stax sr-009.
Of course, my stance could easily change if, say, next week I read Tyll singing wonders about it.

>Maybe I should just pool the money towards a future stax sr-009.
you have weird buying choices user

This. From the looks of it it's either the 600, or the 800 if you can afford it.

$600 current sale
$800 msrp after
$100 shipping
$??? customs

At best, 700/800, or 88% of the msrp. At worst, due to customs, more expensive than msrp. It might be cheaper new at the local shop at some point.
Furthermore, I might or might not like them, be it the sound or the comfort; That can kill it for me too. In which case, I'd have to sell them, possibly at a loss, due to the above.
I trust my senses at times like this. It's a clear STAY PUT to me.

>I trust my senses at times like this
that's what led you to buying the 7506 which I told you not to

Oh, almost forgot. Idol trash here.
What's your setup like, user?

any opinions on the smsl m6 amp/dac? it's on massdrop currently

maya > midori

>that's what led you to buying the 7506 which I told you not to
I don't regret that purchase. Several reasons, including:
- Somebody in my family is using them and enjoying them plenty.
- They're comfortable AF.
- They do quite decently without and amp.
- I found them to sound interesting, rather outright disgusting, after using them for about a week.
- They cost me next to nothing.

Ironically, a coworker on my new job (which I started _after_ buying and testing the mdr-7506) has the headphone at the office. He was like "These studio monitors are the most neutral headphone ever" and "those headphones you have can't possibly sound any better than this" and so on. I brought my hd600 to the office, and let him listen to them (with the fulla2 I have there) the whole day.

He hates me now. Quote from the next day...

"It's like I'm listening to an AM radio,"
-- Coworker.

He was singing along, rocking his chair and looking happy AF when he tested them at decent volume after most people left the office in the evening. Unsurprisingly, he's ordering his hd600 soon.

Maya was pretty good, but I'm NTRing her with midori now. In between, I did yukino. She wasn't so bad. The H scenes were pretty good, for research purposes I mean.

>pretends to be speakerfag
no, I own several pairs of high fidelity loudspeakers. Unlike you, who owns not even piece of high fidelity audio equipment.

honestly if you're genuinely looking for options you should look into something that doesn't have much overlap with your hd600. it already covers neutral really well. so you'd want... big soundstage or closed back, bright or dark or V, subbass, etc. that would mean lcd-2c, th-x00, atticus/eikon, hd800. inb4 triggered anons posting measurements

>Maya was pretty good, but I'm NTRing her with midori now
you deserve to die. i hope hoshi ori comes out in a timely manner.

on topic: the wh-1000xm2s are fantastic

You don't own a single piece of high fidelity equipment, dumb ponyfucker. You buy mid-fi shit that you think is obscure and tout it as being better than it really is.

>He hates me now
He probably hates you because you're an insufferable weeb even on Sup Forums, let alone IRL.

this brings me back to my question from the other day, are you the hd800 owner who sold it and got speakers? if so, why are you always such an insufferable asshole?

>$3.5k loudspeakers with open back mid-range and bass down to the teens is mid-fi
whatever you say noheadphonesanon, maybe when you get section 8 housing and NEETbucks you can buy a pair of headphones for the first time.

>section 8 housing
You mean like the place you post photos of every week?

let's see pictures of your place

I live in a comfyfag neighborhood in the Hamptons but I appreciate the jab, noheadphonesanon. Maybe one day you'll own headphones.

Fuck off ComfyGrados.

LOL. why are you so mad all the time?

Why are you such a shitposter all the time?

because I asked for a picture of your place?

>closed back
I'm not too interested in closed back, but I'm not happy with my HD380 sound-wise, and I use them everyday at work. I have price alarms on MSR7, which should take care of that. I looked at FRs for audio tecnica cans, and their other closed cans do all look significantly worse than that model.
>big soundstage
hd598 did allow me to try that already. I used these for a few hours recently out of nostalgia, and they're so meh. Except chihaya's aoi tori does sound delicious on those for some reason, probably to do with how it presents voices more prominently.
>bright or dark or V, subbass...
I'm interested in subbass and "good bass" without major flaws in the rest of the spectrum, and midrange has to be good (non-negotiable). Which is why I've been looking into the famed planars at all. It's just not happening yet, apparently. I'll keep observing.
>it already covers neutral really well.
And the strongest pull I'm feeling is from HD800. But I've forbidden myself from buying more Sennheisers for a while.
>inb4 triggered anons posting measurements
heh
>wireless NC
I have no use for wireless or for noise cancelling. I lack interest on using headphones on the go.
He doesn't actually hate me (clarified for autists...), and I doubt anybody in the office has a clue I lurk on Sup Forums and dislike 3DPD.
What's your take on LCD-2 and variants?

You're just as welfare as Horn and wat, I guess that's what PLEBSPOTTERS is for.

>clarified for autists
>needing to clarify for yourself

>I'm interested in subbass and "good bass" without major flaws in the rest of the spectrum, and midrange has to be good (non-negotiable).
atticus has an upper midrange bite, eikon has better subbass but less of a bite. far better than my lcd-2 at tonality

...just sayin'

>ZMF shill
why are you still here, nobody cares about your shitty atticus

because it's the truth. the lcd-2 sounds artificial in comparison. sorry you don't like things you can't afford

>things you can't afford
i love it when this is the only argument you're capable of because you spent months saving your autismbux for some shitty boutique headphones that will fall apart in a matter of months