E-GPU thread

amazon.com/dp/B0725B6L99/
this seems to be the cheapest option on the market right now.

Post what you guys have and any recommendations/advice

Other urls found in this thread:

egpu.io/expresscard-2-0-egpu-interface-pros-cons-candidate-notebook-list/
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B073V31X4P?psc=1
egpu.io/forums/expresscard-mpcie-m-2-adapters/how-to-enable-hot-plug-for-pci-e-port-using-hidden-settings-in-bios-examle-for-phoenix-securecore-tiano/paged/1/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

ttt im looking for something like this too

Wait for thunderbolt to be common on laptops.

Never gonna happen though.

What rock do you live under? Of course its happening you dumb fuck.

Also, ExpressCard vs mPCIe? Which would be better for a GPU?

Expresscard for convience

inb4:
>waste of money & time
>cables & psu clutter
>muh bottleneck
>just get a desktop

$300 setup. plays a bunch of games 60fps on medium-high, even on the internal screen

mpcie and expresscard will run the same speed (m.2 is fastest non-thunderbolt). EC is better for quick connect, and hot-pluggable which bypasses a few common (but fixable) issues when using 10 series cards. i use a 1050 ti that needed a little work with memory allocation, but is otherwise a good pairing in terms of power/price in a single lane egpu setup

also, consider how many Sup Forums dorks already have a sandy/ivy thinkpad or other business laptop with an EC slot, and an old card like a 750 ti or 960 or whatever sitting in their parts hoard after a desktop upgrade. at that point they're only buying the egpu adapter ($35-50) and a psu ($15 for the dell da-2 power brick, which is popular for egpu setups since it's rated at 220w and can sit under the desk)

What EliteBook model it is?

2570p

How is it in general terms? I am seeing a lot of second hand elitebooks in eBay,and thinking of getting one and i just discovered i can play with a eGPU thanks to that port.

which dock do you have?
how do you hook up said dell power brick to everything?

pretty good in terms of performance and upgradability. put in a spare i7-3632qm for funsies (games ran pretty well on the i5-3320m it came with). opening it up and swapping/repasting the cpu is the easiest of any laptop i've used

only big problem is the screen, 1366x768 TN with no IPS upgrade options available. looks a little better than the stock TN in a thinkpad x220/x230. lower res is actually a good thing for egpu performance on the internal screen, since it's fewer pixels to push over the pcie lane

exp gdc beast v8.4d. dell da-2 has an 8 pin connector that slots right into the egpu adapter

I'd rather save money, have room for a mouse and not use PCIE 1X

Can you please explain your setup, user? I'm looking for something like this.

hp elitebook 2570p w/ 8gb ram and 320gb hdd ($100)
free win 7 pro key under the battery, who gives a shit about win 10 for gaming
exp gdc beast v8.4d ($35)
dell da-2 psu ($15)
msi low profile gtx 1050 ti ($150)

([my linux distro of choice] on an ssd ($100) in a caddy ($10) that replaces the dvd drive for daily non-gaming stuff. i don't bother trying to get the egpu to work with it)

I see thst you've been living under a rock for a whole decade.

Thanks bud.

This is what will happen: even at USB 3.0 maximum expresscard theoretical speed (400MB/s) you will have a huge fucking bandwidth bottleneck which will decrease performance significantly.

Then the 2 CPU cores in the laptop will overheat constantly and thermal throttle to 1-2 GHz which will result on massive frame dips and frame stuttering.

Then the long cable/interface connecting your GPU and expresscard will cause a ton of input lag that will render most games a headache to play.

Finally there is literally no benefit doing all of this when in the end it will create mote clutter than a mini-itx desktop PC.

This is all ignoring the huge amounts of money you will waste.

Thunderbolt is basically on every new laptop where the fuck have you been lmao

that's not usb mang

How the fuck can anybody justify buying a graphics card for an eGPU, just buy a fucking desktop at that point

Gamers should be banned on sight.

Those e-GPUs are a pain in the ass.
> Windows:
- Don't hotplug, should put it to sleep, plug, resume
- Doesn't work? Paperclip you PSU or use a special switch, fiddle with timings, change PCIe data rate, etc
- Still doesn't work? Time to make a DSDT override by editing your laptop's ACPI tables to change devices memory allocation to a higher region and then use it through a Clover boot
- Try another card, even newer card on the same chip may work
> Linux
- It JUST WORKS right out of the box
- No games tho lol

RX550 isn't much, it's impossible to get an acceptable PC for $100 with that kind of card, maybe only in a dumpster.

Correct, but expresscards work at USB speeds. Max is 400MB/s.

Whereass graphics cards get 16GB/s on 16 pci-express lanes.

> get 16GB/s on 16 pci-express lanes
They don't use it. There is a bottleneck on 1x compared to 16x on modern cards, that is correct, however the less FPS is, the less it matters. Which means one can crank up his settings to achieve 30~40FPS and don't get any dip compared to low settings.

M.2 is the best option, even better than thunderbolt

true but the installation is usually messy

>16GB/s on 16 pci-express lanes

1x pcie (gen2) does 4gbps, which is enough for a well optimized game like overcrotch to run 60 fps on medium-high

I mean not much of a problem on thinkpads
>first boot
-hibernate (you have a ssd right user?)
-unplug screen
-plug in egpu
-wait for everything to turn on and resume
-plug in screen
-go in to device manager and turn off your igpu
done
>need to unplug
-go to device manager and turn off egpu and enable igpu
-unplug
done
>need to plug back in
-replug in
-enable egpu and disable igpu

not that hard but you gotta know the mating dance

latency is an important word that you are not mentioning right now
usb has more latency than any form of pcie

> turn off your igpu
Maybe it works when there's an Nvidia GPU, doesn't work with Intel only.

>1x pcie (gen2) does 4gbps
thats like 500 mb
not much more

yes it does
I do it all the time
Windows switches over to software rendering if you have no gpus present
also reread the order, I plug the egpu first then disable my igpu

>500mb
ok a number that is less than the max possible, like that means anything when the game runs fine

I believe GPU matters more than anything else. Nothing worked with GT440 (Fermi), but GT610 (Fermi) worked fine.

wow its almost like you went through the archive and gathered all the wrong posts

>This is what will happen: even at USB 3.0 maximum expresscard theoretical speed (400MB/s) you will have a huge fucking bandwidth bottleneck which will decrease performance significantly.
its pcie2.0 x1, 500MB/s at very low latency

>Then the 2 CPU cores in the laptop will overheat constantly and thermal throttle to 1-2 GHz which will result on massive frame dips and frame stuttering.
most proper business laptops can manage themselves quite fine my old 3320m maxed out at 80 degrees and my 3630qm maxes out just shy of 90 degrees
this isnt a macbook thread

>Then the long cable/interface connecting your GPU and expresscard will cause a ton of input lag that will render most games a headache to play
what are you some audiofag that suspends his headphone cables from the ceiling
that is it literally not how it works
the only way you get input lag is when you limit the bandwidth by using a internal screen plus optimus

>Finally there is literally no benefit doing all of this when in the end it will create mote clutter than a mini-itx desktop PC.
you unify everything under one pc while still having a fairly light pc that can get pretty good battery life on the go
is it worth it over a dedicated pc + light laptop?
of course not but it is undoubtly cheaper and preforms similar

>This is all ignoring the huge amounts of money you will waste.
thinkpads, elitebooks and latitudes are dirt cheap
while you do get close to workstation business laptop prices for each brand you can out preform them in most cases
but you definitely undercut building a proper pc by a good amount (Im considering sandy bridge plus budget 10 series cards as good, most laptops people use will outbench a core2quad easily)

well maybe but why would you use anything lower than a 750ti? igpus swing pretty close to both of those

tip of the day guys,
some user told me here and Ive been doing it ever since
disable your igpu while using a egpu
even if you directly connect through your screeb through the gpu nvidia will still do optimus, as in use your igpu for rendering which'll add input lag and lower your already low bandwidth
I used to get 70 ish fps at max on most games but after this I started to get up to a 180 fps on games like asseto corsa and Im getting a 100+ on rainbow 6 siege on medium high

also anons who stated fps
have you tried this?

>even on the internal screen
How much is the performance decrease when using the laptop display when compared to using an external display?
That concerns me very much about the whole eGPU thing. If I had the space to buy a monitor I'd just get a proper mini-ITX PC with it, but my limitation is that I can only use a laptop right now.

excuse my autism, but are laptops that have express card slots rare? Pretty sure mine doesn't.

this so much

they're mostly on business laptops from 2010-2013

egpu.io/expresscard-2-0-egpu-interface-pros-cons-candidate-notebook-list/

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B073V31X4P?psc=1
What about this one? Can fit anything because can take your WiFi card. You can just get wifi dongle and still cheaper.

That's for mining shitters.

huh, interesting.

there are version of the gdc beast that fit mpcie and m.2 but you cant use 10 series nvidia cards without modding user
egpu.io/forums/expresscard-mpcie-m-2-adapters/how-to-enable-hot-plug-for-pci-e-port-using-hidden-settings-in-bios-examle-for-phoenix-securecore-tiano/paged/1/

I dont see why you wouldnt have room for a mouse?
also pcie 2.0 x1 is fine
youre not gonna buy a 1080ti or a 1080 or even a 1070

I just realized
>racing gaym
>no peripherals

I might steal this, thanks.

Putting the gpu on my nightstand and playing in my bed would be comfy.

keep in mind that expresscard does not have a locking mechanism

Ah. Probably just slap a piece of tape on it.

believe it or not some people actually think a keyboard is an acceptable control input for a virtual race car

I mean if youre playing an arcade yeah sure

i have x230 docked with two 1080p external monitors (lid closed) and it can get pretty hot when playing some 1080p60fps stream (or even stutter when doing some intensive work on the other)

im thinking about adding third monitor and exp gdc expresscard with 750ti (gigabyte one with 4 outputs so i have 3 digital ones), will it be enough? what psu do i need to use?

I'm planning this cool modular build for in the spring. I'll replace the nuc with an 8th gen one if the 8th gen u series is faster than that 45w 6700. Really looking forward to it.

dell da-2

I dont see a lot of people talk about nucs much sadly
they seem sort of nice

I just think it's going to be a hyper portable cool little modular build. The gigabyte egpu 1080 is a really unique product too. I know i'm not getting optimal performance for my money but anyone who doesn't find it at least kind of cool is way too jaded. The nuc+gpu together is going to be the size of like a keyboard.

can i ask why youre doing this?

This seems like a cool idea with a niche market, only you still need a kb/m and monitor for a decent gaming experience. I assume you can use the laptop as a second monitor?
>inb4 people turn these into DIY mobile VR setups

>dell da-2 has an 8 pin connector that slots right into the egpu adapter
do you need a second one if the card needs a 6/8pin?

>not smart enough to figure out you can pass through a pcie device to a virtual machine on linux

You don't need an external screen to use the gpu?

depends on what you do
it eats up some bandwidth since it has to go back through the x1 link
it's easier to use a external once if you can

Does it matter if it is EC, PCIe or m.2? Will all work with internal screen?

Don't use it with a 220w psu that's what

I got a MacBook pro 2017 model with 2 thunderbolt ports as a gift yesterday. I never really heard about those before then, and never really cared for gaming much outside some casual console gaming rarely

But could this be hooked up to an eGPU and run games decently? We're looking at 8gb of ram and an i5 7360U 2.3ghz to 3.6ghz when needed

Not sure how easy it gets throttled though

Gaming is pretty easy on the CPU, so you won't get throttled to badly. The biggest bottleneck is going to be the Thunderbolt bandwidth. I've seen people do it successfully with older Macbooks that still had Thunderbolt 2.

Hopefully, with TB3 being widely adopted, this'll become simple and (relatively) cheap to do in the near future.

Don't take any heat for this OP, especially from the razer tribal douce swirl crowd

This setup represents Sup Forums far better than some store bought pre-assembled consumer grade bullshit

How hotswappable/plug and play is this really with EC and Linux?
I'm considering getting a cheapo GPU for this because my laptop can't do 4k@60Hz (30Hz gives annoying mouse lag and no possibility for second screen)

Desktop gpu on a relatively cheap and good laptop
Integrated graphics only get you so far

You can but I don't recommend it personally

Internal display acceleration or Optimus is a Nvidia thing so no it works just fine over any pcie connection

A desktop plus a laptop with a good battery is more Sup Forums

>prey
excellent choice

needs vt-d

>his cpu doesn't have vt-d

Whats the most graphic intensive game you've been able to run on this set up?