RX460 or HD6450

Hello, i'm on Arch and i hesitate between RX460 and HD6450

Other urls found in this thread:

aur.archlinux.org/packages/opencl-amd/).
gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-RX-460-vs-AMD-Radeon-HD-6450/3641vsm7821
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMDGPU#Enable_Southern_Islands_.28SI.29_and_Sea_Islands_.28CIK.29_support).
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

buy 1050ti

amd sucks so it doesn't really matter

HD6450 if you absolutely don't plan on 3D games or a 4k monitor or whatever. You'll get a totally smooth, tear-free experience for $30.
RX460/560 if you want to play CSGO, TF2, etc with free drivers while getting no screen tearing or crashes.

Windows kids who have never experienced the pure pain of Nvidia on Linux.

vega 64

amdgpu driver on linux is actually a lot faster nowdays than nvidia

also 6450 isnt even funny you wont be able to even play a single 3d game

I was able to play League of Legends 1080p lowest settings at 80 fps with HD 6450 and E8400.
>capcha: games teseo

>nvidia
>linux
choose 1

I'm thinking about replacing the HD6850 in my ubuntu desktop with a 750 ti. How much of a pain is Nvidia on linux? Should I get a newer amd card? The only game I want to play on it is civ 6.

Can't you just save for a 470 or 570? Or just buy used.

>How much of a pain is Nvidia on linux?
very, get a 460 or 560 instead it will save you a lot of trouble

Get a 460/560 and don't even bother with the old crap. The 6450 isn't even supported on linux anymore since everything moved to amdgpu now. You also get more memory and support for newer APIs like Vulkan and OpenCL 2.0 with a 4/560.

Judging by what OP is currently looking at, those cards would not be a good fit for his/her needs.

You probably wouldn't have too many problems when using Ubuntu, but I'd personally get a GCN AMD card (preferably a GCN 4.0 card from 400 or 500 series).

AMDGPU is pretty good at the moment, but not everything is working 100% yet. Some games have problems with it and I think HDMI audio, Freesync support etc. is only coming in kernel 4.15. Also older GCN card support (for example support for my R9 270) is still experimental, but easily turned on in distros like Arch. I haven't gotten OpenCL to work though, even when using the propriety OpenCL component from AMDGPU-PRO (aur.archlinux.org/packages/opencl-amd/).

I was in your shoes a few days ago and decided to go with a 560
Still haven't arrived yet but I'm pretty stoked.

Exactly it's just for desktop/small games so i doesn't need high end gpu, i have others pc for gaming, but i don't know for consumption between the two

This is for a system with no integrated GPU, right? Most recent ones will be much better than a 6450.

Yeah it's an AMD cpu without integrated GPU

460 is miles ahead of 6450, I would go for HD 6450 only if I get it for free.

What is the difference between opencl and opengl

OpenCL = Open Computing Language
OpenGL = Open Graphics Library

Basically one is for raw computing (I specifically needed/wanted OpenCL for Folding@Home) while the other one is for displaying stuff.

Raw computing, you want mean for example projects for video ?

Indeed.

I'm not too surprised by everything not working perfectly when used with AMDGPU on my R9 270 though (referring to ), since it's basically a renamed HD7850 and quite old at this point (1st gen GCN).

I did have the same driver setup working on a R9 290X (2nd gen GCN) quite some ago, for what it's worth. Too bad the 290 and the 390 cards had a lot of other problems under Linux...

gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-RX-460-vs-AMD-Radeon-HD-6450/3641vsm7821

So if I choose a graphics card to encode, it's the opencl and not opengl you mean?

Amdgpu work on gcn 1?

Yes to the encoding question. AMDGPU works on any GCN card, but it's not quite as out-of-the-box as with GCN 3 and up (wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMDGPU#Enable_Southern_Islands_.28SI.29_and_Sea_Islands_.28CIK.29_support). Support for GCN 1.0 and 1.1 is experimental, so you might encounter some problems.