/wdg/ - Web Development General

>Previous Thread

>Free resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction (independent of your browser choice)
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - General documentation for HTML, CSS & JavaScript
freecodecamp.com/
codecademy.com/
bento.io/

>Further resources
github.com/iRaul/awesome-portfolios - Portfolio examples
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap - Roadmap
stackoverflow.com/ - Developers asking questions and helping each other

>Tools
jsfiddle.net/ - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your code
caniuse.com/ - Check browser support for front-end web technologies

Other urls found in this thread:

boards.Sup
jsfiddle.net/cRqhT/441/
usa.ipums.org/usa/
cps.ipums.org/cps/
census.gov/data/datasets/2016/demo/popest/counties-detail.html
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/clip-path
gitgud.io/chiru.no/chiru.no/
chiru.no
guides.rubyonrails.org/i18n.html#translations-for-active-record-models
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/CSS_Box_Model/Mastering_margin_collapsing
github.com/trending
github.com/topics/angular
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First for Vue

Please use the old image, /wdg/ is easier to find when I skim through the catalog.

there's a search bar

I know, but I check the catalog manually anyway to see if there are any other threads worth checking out. Usually there are none, sadly.

>searching for the thread via an image instead of the search bar
/wdg/ - web dev general

>boards.Sup Forums.org/g/wdg
you are not actually looking for threads by thumbnail, do you?

What are guys you working on?

my dick

Some infographics with d3.js

So has anyone actually completed free code camp to have gotten offers from it?

I can only say all the exercises on FCC are piss-easy and all the projects are long and tedious. That seems to be the case with most web-dev tutorial sites. I don't know if the FCC certification is good or not because I haven't completed the projects. I keep it in the OP when I make the thread because it has the highest alexa ranking of any "free certification" website I know. The only way to really learn webdev is to have a project YOU want to build and then go a-googling until you figure it out step by bloody step.

>The only way to really learn webdev is to have a project YOU want to build and then go a-googling until you figure it out step by bloody step.
This should absolutely be in future OPs.

Following some course and completing some random more-or-less relevant tasks has nothing on actually working on your own little project, where you are actually eager to figure things out for yourself.

name/source? who is she

whats a good alternative to google analytics?
I don't want to log a million things, but would find it helpful to at least see the referrer and country of visitors.
Doesn't sound like a huge hassle to do it manually from scratch, but is there a good self-hosted solution out there, that does minimal logging of such info, that you would possibly recommend?

I was planning on doing something with d3 and chart.js, but don't have any good ideas.

What kind of data do you want to visualize?

I wish I knew, probably something with maps like you do. Do you know any good free APIs to get info/statistics from?

>jsfiddle.net/cRqhT/441/

I am trying to put one image inside another, I don't think I'm doing it quite right... could anyone help?

Basically I want to use the diamond as a border, and have whatever pics I want display inside it only. Is there any way of doing this?

I know I can achieve it through simply cutting the pic in the shape of a diamond/etc. But that would be time consuming each picture.

Can I finally use ES6 syntax imports in node.js or do I have to stick to require()?

I got data for my project from the Current Population Survey, the American Community Survey, and the Census Bureau county population estimates.
IPUMS has a pretty good user interface

usa.ipums.org/usa/
cps.ipums.org/cps/
census.gov/data/datasets/2016/demo/popest/counties-detail.html

eh, there is css clip, mask... not sure what the exact term is you would need to look for
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/clip-path

but if the diamond border can has a solid color outerior, then you could get away with a simple container with those 2 pics stacked on top and hidden overflow. Really depends on how the final thing needs to look like.

No... and while I really like Node, I have no clue, what the deal with .mjs extensions is going to be.
Do module maintainers now need to provide .mjs AND .js files?
At least require works fine so far, for what it is supposed to do.

/wdg/ should get together and do something interesting
akin to the cloverOS or netrunner group.
Except with webdev you actually get things done.

I'm down but what do we actually make?

Thanks, I'll look into it.

>"but what do we actually make?"
The hardest question in webdev

You'll probably get an offer. Not because it taught you anything particularly advanced, but rather because companies will do anything they can to get labor at less than market value.

Do you guys use Mac, Windows or linux?

I only used windows in school, but as a professional all of my employers have used Mac. I've grown to prefer mac greatly for most things.

Mac for life, it's basically linux with out all the issues and better commercial software support

Linux because I can't live without free software
(free as in gratis, not free as in autism)

Piwik is minimal and self hosted. Heard it struggles under load but most site aren't in a position to care.

I've been in several groups that have tried a group project. Unless it starts the other way, that is, a group of people into a certain project looking to get it done, it always falls apart.

There's always some autist who wants to build a CS:GO gambling bot. Take five people from any place on earth and ask what they want and one person will want this.

Then then one person will argue it should be professional looking, and another will be into memes.

Bonus points if someone's into pot, which isn't legal here.

Mostly windows with WSL.
Linux, if it wasn't for my time wasting gaming habit.
>Mac
If I wanted to burn money I would do just that instead of putting up with all the effort of actually wasting it on overpriced and underpowered apple hardware.

what font is this?

gitgud.io/chiru.no/chiru.no/

chiru.no

angularjs or angular5? already knows react but i want to expand my knowledge

Neat

Angular 2+. AngularJS is still bigger in terms of companies asking for it but that's slowly changing. It's also much easier to learn in my opinion.

>attempt to convert an existing production react-native app to web using react-native-web
>11MB bundle
>buttons are fucked
>fonts are fucked
>can't use image backgrounds
>styling is absolutely fucked
>have to re-implement all native-based solutions (sentry, voice recognition, audio streaming & custom snackbar)
>can't use stack/tabnavigators so you instead have to make routers

Who thought this was a good idea?

I know CSS, HTML, and am getting fairly competent at JS now. Thinking about adding in Angular right now as well and starting some more personal projects. About how much would be ideal to land me a front end job? I know mileage may vary but at this point I'm desperate for something, there are fuck-all jobs around here in Bumfuck, Arkansas and I've been unemployed since finishing school for 2 years. Not even Starbucks will hire me since the local market is caved in so bad. I just need something.

Also the nearest city to me that seems like it'll actually hire would be either Tulsa or Dallas, how do webdev positions generally handle relocation? I have pretty much 0 money to make the move. Is it acceptable to ask for relocation assistance in my situation?

beg to differ, I've done multiple projects working entirely async with other people, it always broke down at the shilling part. Making the product is a little more than doubleclicking product.exe, selling it is whole other game.

I changed to only work on project that has customers lined up already, but 10 customers is probably worse than having no customers at all. Support soaks up your time, and every entitled prick thinks the service should cater to all their quirks for $20/month.

Any way to get model validation on Javascript just as nicely as Rails ActiveRecord? Any ORM/validator that fully supports i18n?
guides.rubyonrails.org/i18n.html#translations-for-active-record-models

how to create a plugin architecture? how do plugins work at all?

need docker help please
root@Habitica:~# dockerd
-bash: dockerd: command not found
root@Habitica:~# docker start hello-world
-bash: docker: command not found
root@Habitica:~# apt-get install docker
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
docker is already the newest version (1.5-1).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 111 not upgraded.

nevermind I installed docker the GUI application not the container thing

That is one of the worst looking websites I have ever seen.

a plugin architecture for what exactly? Describe what you want to build.

On a high level, you will need to describe an API for your program that plugins can access, and then write the features that load and execute the plugins.

What's WSL?

I use windows at home for gaming too. Though I prefer linux. My job bought the mac so price wasnt an issue for me.

Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) is a compatibility layer for running Linux binary executables (in ELF format) natively on Windows 10. WSL provides a Linux-compatible kernel interface developed by Microsoft (containing no Linux kernel code), which can then run a Linux userland on top of it, such as that of Ubuntu, SUSE or Fedora. Such a userland might contain a Bash shell and command language, with native Linux command-line tools (sed, awk, etc.) and programming language interpreters (Ruby, Python, etc.)

When introduced with the Anniversary Update, only an Ubuntu image was available. The Fall Creators Update moved the installation process for Linux distributions to the Windows Store, and introduced Fedora and Suse images.

interesting. This would be of use to me on my windows machine.

a plugin architecture for websites e.g. wordpress.

So let's say I define to read all the files from a particular directory ("plugins"). These probably define their own APIs to call and build their service around it + the public apis available from the core piece?
But how do you make it possible to make changes to the data store? E.g. an ecommerce plugin wants to store items and prices or whatever. Does this plugin do database migrations on installation?

As a noob to webdev who is six months in, there is something that grates me about this whole industry, particularly in the area of PHP.

When you say to somebody not to use something because it is 'insecure', please explain WHY it is insecure and don't just leave it at "it's insecure bro, don't use that". There is a lot to web development, I get it, but it would make navigating the whole jungle of whatever framework, whatever API, 'HTTP routing interface MongoDB algorithmic middleware scalable $_REQUEST[] Homestead ORM buy-me-a-coffee PHPUnit stack PSR-7 object-oriented Composer error-handling' much, much easier if you would just explain to a noob why you think something is to be ignored outright rather than adding to the learning mess that a noob has to endure in the 2017 world of web development.

Maybe it is just PHP. Fuck PHP dudes.

And to add an extra layer of frustration, I can never ask for help in the /r/PHPhelp subreddit without people yelling at me for not using Composer. I'm learning the fundamentals and sticking to pure PHP for my projects but everybody on there assumes I'm working with a team on a serious project and I need to pump it full of frameworks and added arbitrary shit.

What I need is a time machine so I can go back to the early 00s and not have to deal with the amount of tacked-on shit we have right now.

If I wanna full-stack freelance, how do I deal with hosting? Do i make each client an account for whatever service? Do i put them all on a single account of my own/business? What if something happens to me, how do they access their web services?

Is there any good reading on this?

Yeah, I feel you. I still like PHP, even with all its faults, it's not a bad web dev tool to have under your belt.

Maybe you should search for reseller hosting. I just have my own VPS and rent the space to my clients. Most of them are local businesses and don't need many resources.

Too real

thanks, that looks promising.

Any way to use greensock plugins for free?

I'm trying to publish my web dev portfolio on github pages on username.github.io, only things in the repo are index.html, styles.css, one script file and images folder. The site works when I use username.github.io/index.html, but username.github.io returns 404. I use the master branch like the docs told me to. Is there something I'm missing?

Hi guys Im from Argentina and the data sais that everyone in latinoamerica only use internet to enter to facebook.
Badically the internet is here for retards that spend their days in facebook..
Knowing this what advice would you give me if Im starting to learning web development?
I am already familiar with html and css, ready to start learning javascript..so im a nooby

Nevermind, it works now. Had to wait 2 hours.

>University of Reddit
Sounds like absolute hell

You will encounter a million frameworks and tools initially.
Almost everyone feels overwhelmed and can't decide what to do at that point.
You can't learn everything at the same time obviously.

After you got the basics of HTML, CSS & JS down, the most practical thing would be to look into and learn one of the big 3 frontend frameworks React, Vue or Angular.
Which one depends on what your goal is (hobby, employment, etc.) and what's in demand in your area.
Then learn a language you can run serverside. JS/Node.js, Python, C#, PHP, and so on... Lots of options. Not going to pick a side here now, but you will encounter some very strong opinions depending on who you ask about this.
At that point you can create pretty much anything you want and just deepen your knowledge or learn additional languages, tools and libraries.

>set html min-height to 100vh
>set body to 100%
>page height still renders as slightly greater than 100vh

I'm probably being retarded but I really don't know at this point.
It's not the content that's giving it the extra height because if I set body to auto it creates a ton of blank space.

I just want the body to fill the window without creating a scroll bar unless the content inside it causes it to expand. Any tips?

Anyone here with advanced knowledge in Angular4?

Browsers add their own default padding and margins to some elements, try setting padding to 0 on the body and margin to 0 on the video.

lol pepe is looking at me
Thank you very much for your advices, it is a really good one I appreciate it.
But thanks for /wdb/ and research I made I already know that, what I wanted to ask is: if everyone use facebook here in latinamerica what the fuck am I supossed to do if I want employement or at least freelance.
I will be able to do it if everyone use facebook for everything here?
Enlighten me please

>/wdb/
i mean /wdg/

You mean people do everything they need on facebook and don't use the internet for anything else?

And if you look at job listings for webdev positions, doesn't it say what technologies they are looking for?

No dice.
Feels bad man.

>You mean people do everything they need on facebook and don't use the internet for anything else?
The data basically sais that.. Now e comerce is starting to grow here.

>Descripción
>KaizenRH is currently looking for a Front-End >Web Developer for Corporate Company.

>Requirements:
>5+ years’ experience in technology and good >solid experience of project work in a >development team (3 - 5 years of software >development lifecycle experience).
>JAVA Development Experience
>Ability to prototype in JavaScript, HTML, and >CSS
>5+ years of web-based User Interface >development. Proficiency with web standards.
>Proficient in Design Tools like Photoshop.
>Knowledge of HTML 4 and 5.
>Knowledge of Source Code Repositories : >SVN, Git, Stash, Bitbucket, Maven
>Notions of application security.
>Advanced/Fluent English or Portuguese.

>We offer
>Excellent work environment and professional >growth space
>Participation in the most challenging projects >and in the multidisciplinary team
>OSDE 310.
>10 working days of vacation, incremental to >15 days.
>Extra Compensation and Performance >Awards.
>English classes with international exams.
>2 free days per year.
>Two annual salary reviews.
>Real and continuous training plan.

>5
>yeas lel

Every job listings for webdev or programing are located in buenos aires, far far away where I live..
Would you recomend me to freelance instead?
I dont want to move to buenos aires, thats like a jungle of robbery murder and bad people.

Check to see if any children of body have their margin collapsing to outside of it.

developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/CSS_Box_Model/Mastering_margin_collapsing

Is there a way to search github for projects written in a certain language/framework? I want to check out Angular projects

you can checkout the trending repos and sort by language, but github won't distinguish among JS variants. github.com/trending

>Would you recomend me to freelance instead?
sry, don't have advice on that.
But for freelance you need to be quite the business person and able to sell yourself. Probably harder than webdev-basics, unless it comes naturally for you.

yes there is and you will find it, if you would actually search for it

Thank you.
It's like CSS goes out of it's way to be tedious.

you can literally type it into the field on the right there..
also github.com/topics/angular

Yeah. Sometimes I like CSS. And sometimes I have to deal with shit like margin collapse.

only if that project is tagged accordingly :)

Great, thanks
Well i thought the topics were like a curated list like the collections. My bad

I know there is a way to display Angular error messages in browser window and in browser console, but I don't know how to do this. Googling this problem keeps showing AngularJS solutions. They should've chosen a different name in my opinion.

I want to take some shitty domain with a pacific islands suffix. Is namecheap the best deal? I have delusions that my site will have a decent size and I don't want my website name to be copyrighted or something by anyone...

No one? I'm just wondering if it's OK to add BrowserModule and HttpClientModule into the CoreModule instead of the Root (AppModule). The documentation says that CoreModules are usually only for singleton services but I will use those two other modules everywhere in my application, why shouldn't I put them into my CoreModule?

my site's getting usable enough that I should start thinking about overall structure of my site moving forward and potential future employment
in terms of employment, what are the most accessible, common, well payed, etc. jobs in web development?
is full lamp stack sought after?

my site's running off my laptop, ubuntu, apache2, and I have 1 or 2 mysql tables but nothing really in use
then it's basically just html/css, and javascript which fills in the html tags
should I try switching to php? mvc stuff?
where's the list of topics that employers want to see knowledge on?

I got mine off namecheap, I just pay them like 20€ every year and I keep my domain

Nevermind, running ng serve again fixed the problem.

can namecheap ever refuse renewing the deal and claim back the "catchy" or "famous" name? if yes, can they sue me for still using the name with a different suffix?

don't know sorry

they would lose their entire business in doing so

no it's your domain.
There are rules to this procedure of registering and renewing names.