/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1
>Things you should know before building a workstation
pugetsystems.com/

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>G4560/G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Consider Vega 56 for a Freesync monitor
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/9Lvtcc
pcpartpicker.com/list/MH9HkT
pcpartpicker.com/list/zyHxyf
youtube.com/watch?v=2yMLKcaFirw
pcpartpicker.com/list/NFRWVY
pcpartpicker.com/list/42Xcd6
secure.newegg.com/Wishlist/SharedWishlistDetail?ID=tyqBKWZ6T9k=
pcpartpicker.com/product/ph38TW/evga-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-sc-gaming-video-card-08g-p4-5173-kr
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/cTCxyf
youtube.com/watch?v=Jd1bp9eSfwo
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G6M40227&cm_re=Alienware_34"_Curved_Gaming_Monitor-_-24-260-555-_-Product
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Question about drivers: I need to download my driver updates for my new PC, especially to make my RAM compatible, but the ones that came with the parts are all CDs. I don't have a CD drive purchased, can I just install windows and update everything from the net there before I use it for anything and I'll be fine?

Has anyone ordered from SuperBiiz before?

Kinda worried if the parts I'm looking at will be DOA

should i update my nvida's gpu? it doesn't do anything except for gay fallout which i don't play

meant driver*

>tetrahedral case

anyone else looking forward to when cases go beyond C U U B E? Made an attempt at a spherical case design but no matter what cables will always be a fucking mess.

Budget:
>As cheap as possible in US dollars.
Use:
>Playing League of Legends (with the option to upgrade it to play PUBG)>
Current Builds:
>pcpartpicker.com/list/9Lvtcc
>pcpartpicker.com/list/MH9HkT
>Same but w/o any graphics card.

Explanation:
>I sold my (very shitty) gaming computer six months ago.
>I only ever played League by myself, and I (correctly) figured my life would be better without it.
>A couple of my work buddies are now playing League, Overwatch, and PUBG.
>I've played a couple of times at their house, and it's fun playing with them.
>Want to play with them.
>BUT: might be attending graduate school next year.
>Won't be able to play when in grad school.
>Don't want to invest money in cpu that i'll only use for six months.

gtx 1080 has a single 8 pin power cable
can I use a 6 pin?

Also, I have access to an old PS3 screen. I'm not sure if it's any good for gaming, though. It's advertised as having a 240 refresh rate, but I've read that people can't get it to work past 60 fps. It's also an LED and so will have lag. Is it worth using or should I invest in a proper 144 refresh rate gaming screen?

in a few monthes im going from a 32 inch 1080p tn tv and a 27 inch 1080p tn monitor to two 1440p 27 inch monitors ups monitora at 144hz how much of a difference will i notice?

no moron even if it "works" its a terrible idea

pcpartpicker.com/list/zyHxyf
>fix

You can buy an intel optiplex small form factor with an i5 3470 a small hdd and 8gb of ram for like 150 off of ebay, then you add a low profile 1050ti for another 160 and you have a box that can play any modern title on high-ultra at 1080p for less than 320 dollars.

I did this and I run battlefield one and battlefront 2 at a steady 60 fps with a few dps to mid 50s at 1080p

err shit I meant HP elite 8300 SFF, there's a vendor on ebay that sells refurbed ones with a warranty for 120-200 dollars depending on hnow much ram and HDD/ssd you want, you need at least 8gb and the i5 3470.

This is the best option for a PC you don't plan on upgrading and it's cheaper than any pc you can build and the best value imo.

Should I avoid motherboards with ALC892 audio? Will I notice a difference between it and ALC1220?

GPU fans are spinning, lights are on, but it wont let me install drivers from the nvidia website cause it doesnt detect it. wtf?

How do I unJUST my PC?

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 Processor (3M Cache, 3.50 GHz)
Motherboard: MSI ATX DDR3 2400 LGA 1150 Motherboards Z97 PC MATE
GPU: Radeon r9 280x vapor x
RAM: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB Kit (2x4GB)
Power Supply: Seasonic M12II 620 BRONZE ; SS-620GM2 80Plus Power Supply
HD: Seagate 1tb

PC build new. Lmk wtf I do.

MSI X370 GAMING PRO CARBON AM4
AMD RYZEN 7 1700 8-Core 3.0 GHz
GIGABYTE AORUS Radeon RX 580
CORSAIR Vengeance LED 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000
Corsair Crystal Series 570X RGB
Corsair LL Series CO-9050072-WW LL120 RGB, 120mm
CORSAIR RM750x White CP-9020155-NA 750W ATX12V
SAMSUNG 850 EVO M.2 2280 500GB SATA III
Seagate BarraCuda ST4000DM005 4TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
ASUS DVD-Writer 24X

So I honestly don't know much about OC'ing a CPU like a Ryzen but I did this:
- keep core voltage between 1.3-1.4
- 3.8 - 4.0 clocks are alright with the voltage above (I chose 3.9)
- leave CPU on stress test overnight to make sure voltage and frequency is stable (Paul's Hardware told me this)
VIdeo Link of aid I followed:
youtube.com/watch?v=2yMLKcaFirw

However HERE is the point: I did a CORE voltage in the Asrock X370 Taichi BIOS of 1.32v apparently, but my CPU-Z says 1.280V?
The offset is not active and is set to AUTO or something (someone can explain what this or the others work in terms of frequency?).
Lastly here is a picture of a mini-stress test I did, is it correct or is something wrong?
Not sure if I have a good Ryzen 1700 voltage/clock in general, just want some assurance or tips.
Thanks.
Also temps. were 68 Celsius with my Hyper 212 Evo and Define R5 good airflow case.
P.S: Is it okay to leave a Ryzen at 3.9 for a long time at this kind of voltage? I want my CPU to last a bit and I don't know if my voltage might affect it.

You can certainly keep your PSU and HDD, but anything else you could upgrade depending on your budget.
Board is good
You could step down to a 1600 and get a 1070 or something which would be better for gaming performance
Anything else and I'll need to see a pcpartpicker list because it depends heavily on price.
Ryzen is safe up to 1.45v last I checked. Depending on your luck you can max anywhere from 3.8 to 4.1GHz.
I thing Buildzoid (Actually Hardcore Overclocking) has some Taichi videos so maybe check them out.

pcpartpicker.com/list/NFRWVY

Thanks my dude.
Will check.

So when are we absorbing /guts/

In the interest of curting costs, I steddped down to a 1600 and a B350, but this allows me to go up to a 1070 (which is actually at a really reasonable price all things considered so buy before the price spikes up) which will do best with a 1080p 144hz or 1440p monitor, so if you don't have either of those get one later. RAM is also faster and buy OEM Windows on Kinguin for $30.

Whoops
Link here:
pcpartpicker.com/list/42Xcd6

This is really interesting, I might do this for a family computer as a christmas present, thanks user

how good of a pc can I make for a total budget of $500?

Some older prebuilt and a 1050ti/1060 3GB is basically the extent of that

How's a Zotac 1080ti mini? It's the cheapest and my case is a small micro ATX, or whatever the a little bigger than a mITX is called. It's a Bitfenix.

anyone know the kind of quality jump i can expect?

I'd skip it
The only mini cards worth buying are the waterblock ones because they don't need to be big

why? I don't think it has a worse performance than a FE 1080ti.

Noise levels mostly
FE cards aren't good for all too much so basically anything is "better"

then what should I get? there is literally nothing cheaper, and the next ones are 30~40€ more expensive.

are you aussie114

How is the 7700k defuct?

That's unfortunate, but you're buying a top-of-the-line card so you'll have to take the bullet if you want optimal performance (especially if you overclock). Which country are you in?

to update your bios for ram compatibility? get a usb stick, mate.

yeah, it takes forever to process orders, my motherboard was in limbo for a week while my other parts had gotten here in 2 days, i'd probably avoid unless you are really getting a good deal

You are kinda fucked because of ram prices taking up even in the best case scenario, 20% of your budget. Buy an used prebuilt with an i5, drop a 1060 in there, you will get more bang for your buck.

8400 delivers almost as good performance for a fraction of the price
8600k beats it for the same price

Thank you! Definitely will look into this.

Is it possible to only use an SSD? I'm buying a hard drive eventually but I wanna know if I can just use an SSD in the meantime

Yes, it is.
There's not really any downside except that it costs more per GB.

how dumb of an idea is it to put one of the unlocked coffee lake CPUs in an itx build rather than matx/atx?

Would a 1060 3gb, i5 7400, and 8 gb of ram be able to play games on high settings at 1080p60?

Okay so i cant boot into bios anymore, i get a q flash error saying no disk drives found. One of my sticks of ram arent being used as well, which i think is because of the bios. How do i fix this? I have a gigabyte board.

thanks user
saved my money

Is it okay if i ask you a dumb question about the cpu i should buy say i want to play games at only 1080

It could probably play most games before 2017 at max at 1080p 60fps. For future games you will probably have to turn down the settings.

CPU and resolution have little to do with each other
The 8400 is a good choice for any

thanks

>consider m.2 form factor
did i ever tell you about meme? he was a good friend

Nobody got a guess what this is?

have you tried resetting the cmos?

No, ill try doing it when i get home. Thanks.

This. And if you want a step up from that, $300-400 will get you a Xeon workstation with enough PSU to power a 1060 or 1070, just make sure you pay attention to case dimensions.

Ive had some spare bitcoin laying around (currently about ~950 worth). Ive been considering giving myself an early Xmas present with a big PC upgrade (via Newegg since it accepts btc). But I also could use a new monitor along with it, is it worth risking it waiting to see if BTC gets higher to throw a monitor in?

Parts Ive thrown together (PSU I have now seems like it'll suffice)

secure.newegg.com/Wishlist/SharedWishlistDetail?ID=tyqBKWZ6T9k=

They're just laying there mocking me for another month

Forgot to mention, main usage would be modernish gaming (Witcher 3/Dark Souls 3/Overwatch) and some graphics/art stuff (photoshop/SAI/Blender/etc).

What are some reasons to buy an 8700K/8700 rather than 8600K/8400?
it just seems kind of dumb to my primitive brain that the motherboard is 2/3 the price of the cpu

what do you all do with old gaming PC's?

do you sell them? Is it even worth it to go through the effort of selling and shipping? nobody wants old hardware

Mixed use that requires high multicore and high singlecore
Lots of low-end builders want old hardware.

This EVGA 1070 is on sale for $400, for anybody who's interested.
pcpartpicker.com/product/ph38TW/evga-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-sc-gaming-video-card-08g-p4-5173-kr

media server

What does Sup Forums think of my NEET machine?
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/cTCxyf

I'm upgrading from my amd fx 6300 so i have to buy a cpu/mobo/ram and win10 (i'm on 7 still) and tabove is what plan to buy. Any recommendations or where i can save some money?

>7600k
Never do this

what do den

Ryzen 1200/1400/1600 and B350 or 8100/8400 and Z370
What you have furrently is a last-gen unlocked chip on a board that can't overclock

Look what just arrived

Why do people hate Nvidia again? Is it just AMD fanboys kicking and screaming because they have less than 1/4 of the market?

What do you mean
NVIDIA cards are basically the only option if you don't want to overpay
The only people who I've seen buying Radeon cards are people with freesync monitors or retarded miners

>What do you mean
Are you mentally retarded by any chance? How hard is it to understand such a simple question?

>"Why do people hate Nvidia again?"

I mean that nobody has the right to hate on NVIDIA right now because you're either on integrated graphics or you're telling people to overpay

Ah, upgrading a part or two at a time? I'm in the same boat. Buying a part at a time with every other check.

Would an RX 580 8GB be enough to play DOOM/Fallout 4/Skryim Remastered at 1080p 60fps with the 7700k?

what would be a good upgrade over the hd 6950 2gb

>NVIDIA cards are basically the only option if you don't want to overpay.

Oh boy, have I got some news for you. Nvidia paved the way for stupid consumers to pay high-end GPU prices for mid-class GPU die sizes.

youtube.com/watch?v=Jd1bp9eSfwo

What does pcbg think of Alienware's Gaming Monitors?

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G6M40227&cm_re=Alienware_34"_Curved_Gaming_Monitor-_-24-260-555-_-Product

>newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G6M40227&cm_re=Alienware_34"_Curved_Gaming_Monitor-_-24-260-555-_-Product
pretty good. a few people on Sup Forums actually use Alienware computers so

Lads if I think my HDD might die soon, what should I do and how do I do it?

I missed black friday/cyber monday. Are xmas sales a thing? I want an affordable upgrade from my R9 280. I always get 200 dollar cards.

Buy a new HDD and backup your data.

how

>>>/sqt/

Do IPS Monitors improve the visual quality significantly? Or are they just meme monitors that just improve the quality from viewing angles I will never be viewing from?

I wanna build a Ryzen 5 pc for gaming primarily. Trying to balance between a mid end gpu and a mid end cpu.

Suggestions on what i should do?
Using AUD, $1500 budget.
Skyrim, PUBG, Fallout 4, Farcry 3,4,5

they absolutely do

>computer only recognized 8 gigs of ram because one of the sticks wasnt plugged in properly
whelp

How early do you think the Coffee Lake refresh will come next year?
Also, is there any word on the improved specs?

if i replace the fans on the nhd15 with the black industrial noctua fans how much performance am i gonna miss out on?

They improve visual quality across the board, especially as you change vertical angles such as laying back in your chair
Basically, just more cores.
Depends on the specs
You're not going to want to use an airflow-optimised fan on a tower heatsink, but if it's static-pressure optimised then you'll be fine.

What does pcbg think of the Nvidia Shield? Is it a nice luxury item to have?

Should I run an i5 8400 with 3200 MHz RAM or is it better to activate XMP and let it be capped at 2666 MHz (For better timings?)? My mobo can support higher speeds.

I fell for a meme g. I decided to upgrade my monitor. I had a 1080p 144hz monitor. Found good reviews all around for this Dell 24 inch 1440p 144hz gsync monitor. It was on sale.

It was the WORST colorbanding I have ever experienced. The colors are absolutely awful in darks just because it looks so awful and pixelated.

Anyone else with the Dell S24DG have this issue?

What should I rma this to when I inevitabley return this piece of shit.

I care about gaming and am afraid of going back to 60hz but I don't do any competitive bullshit or anything. I want a nice picture.

If you're going to spend big then at least get IPS, too.

>benchmark my computer
>ryzen 5 1600x an 1060 running below expectations
fug :-D

r8

I mean it wasn't all that expensive desu only like $300.

Will I notice going from 144hz 1ms to an ips that has 4ms 60hz? Will I want to kms?

Waste of money if not running 4k.

Why are Krait gaming mobos obscure?

MY?

Not much, as the D15 is already big enough for near-passive cooling. Is your CPU overclocked?

You'll notice, but it won't be the absolute worst thing ever.
I disagree, because if he's running 2160p 60hz then his CPU isn't being utilised. 1440p 165hz is the best use of the build.