How close is portuguese to spanish?

How close is portuguese to spanish?

Does a portuguese understand spanisch or a spanish portuguese?

Is it like dutch and german?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5c0zyDEVJ9w
vocaroo.com/i/s0XjdtxRZvin
vocaroo.com/i/s1hvEVuabuk6
youtu.be/OigfEaxZRs4?t=13m33s
youtube.com/watch?v=qB6GAEXdv4w
youtube.com/watch?v=DCcPvXdXxZk
translate.google.com.br/#pt/en/Bate forte o tambor
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

to a spanish speaker, portuguese sounds like a retarded spanish speaker

to a portuguese speaker, spanish sounds like a retarded portuguese speaker

ignore this nigger
portuguese can understand spanish
the other way around, not so much

It's easy to understand spanish but from what I see is not that easy to spanish speakers understand portuguese.
but most words are really close like door is, puerta and porta.

If they speak slowly I'm able to understand most of what they're saying.
Reading is even better, but I can't write shit in spanish.

they are 2 similar languages that are pronounced very differently. The difference of Spanish and Portuguese is mainly phonology.

portuguese and spanish are written very similarly, a spanish speaker can read a portuguese newspaper with very little problems, and the same happens with portuguese speakers reading spanish newapapers.

Portuguese speakers understand Spanish speakers quite well, Spanish speakers find it much harder to understand Portuguese speaker.

Interesting. It's exactly like dutch and german then where dutch people can understand most of german but germans can't understand dutch.

yes we can

I think it only goes one way

I don't know man, maybe you guys because it's pretty rare to see mexicans understand what we're talking about.
but most argentinians know, it's kinda complicated.

Spanish has only 5 vowels, A E I O U, Portuguese has many more vowels, nasal vowels, open and closed vowels, and vowels that are almost not pronounced or not pronounced.
That is the main reason for the difficulty of Spanish speakers to understand spoken Portuguese.

It is a weird situation of "I dont understand what the fuck they are saying" when listening to a song, and understanding everything when you read the lyrics.

to give an example, all spanish speakers understand what "Bate forte o tambor" means, but the song sounds something like "Bachi fochu tambo" to us

youtube.com/watch?v=5c0zyDEVJ9w

Euro Portuguese can understand Brazil Portuguese and Euro Spanish. Some American Spanish becomes harder to get, but should be understandable if not spoken too fast.

Nobody understands Euro Portuguese except some Galician people.

Azorian Portguese is unintelligible to everyone, and is often subtitled in the continent.

>Bachi fochu tambo
That's Brazilian Portuguese though, which is very different from ours (and those words are some of the best examples of the difference).

This is how we say it up here:
vocaroo.com/i/s0XjdtxRZvin

Pretty close i would say
I can understand spanish if they talk slowly(which they never do ffs). Can read mostly as well. I can't write it.

I don't about the phonology and how portuguese sounds to them, but at work I've always written e-mails to argentinians and colombians in plain portuguese and they have always replied in spanish.

Somehow that way we can communicate, I don't know how, but it works.

>Bachi fochu tambo
That's literally what's being pronounced though

we can also understand Italian

i play counter strike with brazilians and i cant understand a fucking word of what they are saying

vocaroo.com/i/s1hvEVuabuk6

Fun fact: first time i saw the movie "city of god" i thought they would speak russian because portuguese sounds similar to someone who doesn't understand it

I'd say that we can understand almost every Romance language except Romanian.

French is a bit hit or miss, but with some context clues and no idiomatic expressions we can understand them most of the time.

European Portuguese is the master key, it seems.

>tch tch
hehe.

That's the r's and closed vowels. Brazilians even soften that a lot, we are way worse. How about the proper version?
youtu.be/OigfEaxZRs4?t=13m33s

"brazilian sounds like a drunk russian trying to speak spanish"

That seems like a very big difference to me, but then English accent also pronounce some vowels different, like words that end in ER.
In Spanish, perhaps because our vowels are so few, accents are mainly a consonants and intonation thing.

This post made me realize how pt-br is actually quite retarded

I hardly understand German, mostly the boomers know German well.
Low Saxon is another story since that is similar to my local dialect (that I barely speak but whatever)

Yeah, I remember reading somewhere you had like 5 different vowel sounds, whereas we had something like 17. A ton of them we don't even notice when speaking. Even when foreigners fail to emulate them, we notice something's wrong but can't pin point what's missing either.

I always thought ours sounded more similar to spanish. Eu-pt goes full slav, maybe there is something to do with the vowels?

Spanish people can't understand Portuguese people because even us, Brazilians, have problems to understand the European Portuguese accent.

The Brazilian accent is much easier to understand to a Spanish speaker.

It's easier for us to understand Italian. Mostly due to what says.

I've heard Euro Portuguese described as Spanish spoken BY deaf people, where as Spanish is Portuguese spoken AT deaf people.

I fucking hate cariocas, they make everyone think that the entire country speaks with that disgusting accent.

Portuguese sounds like if a russian was trying to speak spanish

i've never really heard it myself but i remember hearing that phrase in a video or something like that

That's why I namefagged as Carioca, lad. Where are you from?

I think it is better to speak Spanish to Portuguese speaker than doing this which many Argentines do

youtube.com/watch?v=qB6GAEXdv4w
0:13

que paca, me amico?

That band is Amazonian.
That said, we have a similar accent in regards to the de=dji and te= tchi and we also whistle our s. Your confusion is understandable

> Spanish and Puertoguesa
There used to be many Hispanic languages (Arogoan, Lyonese, Valenthian, Estramaduriano) and standard Espanol killed most of them. Portuguese is the part of Hispania that didn't become part of Spain, so their Iberian language wasn't genocides.

They're more dialects of a larger language continuum, like Dutch and Deutsch (similar story).

>im a white brazilian from rio grande. fucking cariocas stop ruining my reputation on anime boards you fucking negros

Only shitters from the south say "bate" as it's written, the rest of they country say "batchi"

>I think it is better to speak Spanish to Portuguese speaker
Not up here. A Portuguese attempt is appreciated. Of course if you're actually Spanish it's not as bad as if you're an Anglo doing it. Portuguese > English > Mother tongue > Spanish, generally.

WTF I love the south now

kek. Your accents are quality though

estoi ñoi ez bueñeo

Literally separate an individual from masses and they will develop "Portuguese" like language in their lift time.

I'd say Dutch and German are closer to each other compared to Spanish and Portuguese, mostly because the sounds are overall similar, see >t. Spanish and Dutch speaker

Northeasters still say baTE too. Only the weak minded got carioca'd

see this.
look at all these countries.

>Chicano Education
Portugal already existed long before Spain. Saying it came from them is an insult. Both languages originate from ancient Galego hence why they are similar.

For me it's actually easier to understand Italian than Portuguese.

that's brazillian portuguese you retard

youtube.com/watch?v=DCcPvXdXxZk

Portuguese came from Galego, Standard spanish came from Castellano

I think Spanish is the newest language of the Peninsula. Asturian-Leonese and Galician-Portuguese are older, Castillian is very influenced by Basque and appeared in the Cantabria-Burgos-Basque Country region.

portuguese came from galician-portuguese which derived from the latin language that the suebi people spoke.
spanish is just so fucking disgusting desu,it's like the language of the impure.i always cringe when spaniards speak and can't understand that they sound like fucking cartoons
brazillian portuguese has this problem aswell,they sound like they're singing and can't be taken seriously because they butcher our language so much...

What do you mean? Portuguese doesn't exist as a corruption of Spanish.

Portuguese/Galician, Castilian, Leonese/Mirandese and Catalan existed as local languages just like French in France. They are all based on the local street latin that depended on the local tribes before the roman empire.

Spain just tried to unify their language whereas we had anything to do with them and just kept on with ours, and it's been diverging ever since. Portuguese as a separate language exists since the 1400's when the University of Coimbra was founded, and the rules were written down. Galician was similar but evolved on it's own without this hold, and Spanish came much later as a form of Castilan.

>They are all based on the local street latin that depended on the local tribes before the roman empire.
I mean to say that they all adapted Latin independently from each other (since the Romans divided the peninsula), and to different extents, which varied. Galician-Portuguese was basically what the Romans managed to make the Suebi Speak, whereas Castillan came from other tribes, etc.

no,we came from galician-portuguese
galego and portuguese are a little different from galician-portuguese

The only relevant portuguese
>so irrelevant their colony is more relevant than them

kek,brazil is more relevant than every fucking spanish speaking country so fuck off spanish colony number 5
You have no fucking distinct culture from the other countries in latin america.

How does anything you wrote have to do with my post?
>portuguese education

kek I've never noticed this, even the woman from google translate say batchi translate.google.com.br/#pt/en/Bate forte o tambor

>they sound like they're singing
>Implying this is a problem
French and Italian also sound singy-songy and are one of the best romance languages
>they butcher our language so much...
I'm sorry, but the ones that swallow letters and mash words together while talking it's you guys.
I give to you that we are more lax with the grammar and this may bleed some ears here and there.

Mexico is more relevant than BR and they are half the population.

Huh. That changed. It used to have Euro Portuguese.

Brazil is more relevant than Mexico. The economy is larger and they're the biggest regional power in South America.

How can you even point fingers when you country is only known for dead miners and earthquakes?you're literally a random fucking spanish speaking country with mestizo culture which isn't even fucking distinct from other latin america countries(spanish ones).
How can a country like portugal,no matter how rich,compare with brazil?

Like I said,you can't say we're fucking irrelevant just because brazil is more relevant than us when brazil is actually the 2nd most relevant country in the american continent

Chicanos are by far the worst posters on this board

maybe for americans,kek,not everyone lives in texas my friend

Burger Education

>this guy

fuck you. Based Chilse is fucking awesome. They are really an amazing country with amazing people.

Shut up cunt, you're embarrassing us all.

Are you autistic by any means?

>If they speak slowly

We know that's never going to happen.

;)

ateo

MAS O FOGO É POR DENTRO

ARDE

PORTUGAAAAAAAAAL

>this fucking guy