Is it possible to run Linux as a daily driver and also be productive?

Is it possible to run Linux as a daily driver and also be productive?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CCG4daPvuVI
youtube.com/watch?v=V2MvbfuITT8
youtube.com/watch?v=wDRTjzLNK0g
youtube.com/watch?v=raKHHFv4nN8
youtube.com/watch?v=ZEoJgQAfb5Y
youtube.com/watch?v=7znIHsyqfm0
youtube.com/watch?v=E8hO4K7mZG4
youtube.com/watch?v=O4BUcIDdpAM
youtube.com/watch?v=lGFUtqM8oAs
youtube.com/watch?v=Dqumdhqy8Uw
cad.softwareinsider.com/compare/5-10/AutoCAD-vs-BricsCAD
youtube.com/watch?v=4eLM3NrOJms
youtube.com/watch?v=5XW0AqKG5zI
youtube.com/watch?v=Qmjz6WXyWBY
youtube.com/watch?v=TqZeThC38ug
youtube.com/watch?v=D5RIveQypgw
youtube.com/watch?v=7-Mo3GTcOQ4
youtube.com/watch?v=mnk_VzedqlU
youtu.be/JmH4KYcmHOo
sylvia-ritter.com/new-gallery/
peppercarrot.com/
blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_raster_graphics_editors
wiki.gimp.org/wiki/Hacking:TODO
wiki.gimp.org/wiki/Roadmap
paste.org.ru/?2adulh
linuxfoundation.org/membership/members/
blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2016/03/wayland-accelerated-at-cern/
steamdb.info/linux/
store.steampowered.com/search/?category1=998&os=linux
youtube.com/watch?v=yXr8bqzf45Y
youtube.com/user/tuxreviews/videos
youtube.com/user/airspeedmph
youtube.com/user/Jakejw93/videos
youtube.com/user/mrdeathjr28/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=AWZvwhwT1Sk
youtube.com/watch?v=W9gsu_YWUzE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

no
fuck off back to Sup Forums

Depends what your definition of productive is. Coding? Sure. Graphic design? Not so much.

inb4 "but gimp/krita exists"

yes

Unless you require Adobe products or whatever, you can be extremely productive on Linux.

Something is seriously wrong around the eye-beak area.

I rely on it every day. Key is to use a stable well maintained distro and image your system before upgrades.

What's wrong with this retard?

The only answer is "depends" and you totally knew it before starting this thread.

Old memes are old.

This is my main problem, their isn't a decent alternative to premier and after affects that i'm willing to make a full switch for, i currently dual boot but the lack of these two things fucking sucks.

Just say 'operating system' like a normal person you cuck

This FUCK MY LIFE

>productive yes, because the shitty support for non openGL gaming

>hurr GIMP

depends on your gay workload you gaylord

Yes

Some suggestions:

Kicad
youtube.com/watch?v=CCG4daPvuVI
Natron
youtube.com/watch?v=V2MvbfuITT8
Blender
youtube.com/watch?v=wDRTjzLNK0g
Krita
youtube.com/watch?v=raKHHFv4nN8
Krita
youtube.com/watch?v=ZEoJgQAfb5Y
Lightworks
youtube.com/watch?v=7znIHsyqfm0
Kdenlive
youtube.com/watch?v=E8hO4K7mZG4
Unity3D
youtube.com/watch?v=O4BUcIDdpAM
Opentoonz
youtube.com/watch?v=lGFUtqM8oAs
Godot engine
youtube.com/watch?v=Dqumdhqy8Uw
BricsCAD VS Autocad
cad.softwareinsider.com/compare/5-10/AutoCAD-vs-BricsCAD
Bricscad
youtube.com/watch?v=4eLM3NrOJms
Freecad Demo
youtube.com/watch?v=5XW0AqKG5zI
Freecad BIM
youtube.com/watch?v=Qmjz6WXyWBY
Freecad & 3D printing
youtube.com/watch?v=TqZeThC38ug
Gimp 2.10 features
youtube.com/watch?v=D5RIveQypgw
How to install photoshop on wine
youtube.com/watch?v=7-Mo3GTcOQ4
Digikam
youtube.com/watch?v=mnk_VzedqlU
Pixar Film Production
youtu.be/JmH4KYcmHOo
Linux art 1
sylvia-ritter.com/new-gallery/
Linux art 2
peppercarrot.com/
Davinci Resolve
blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve

why use linux when mac has the same benefits and proprietary professional software

>when mac has the same benefits
it does tho? what benefits?

krita is actually great for drawing i have tried it on windows, gimp seems terrible and i don't see the point in learning it when Photoshop exists and seems to be 100* better

it's a unix; can run almost all linux software

Krita's great for digital art, but graphic design is mostly photos, gradients, and stencils. Photoshop's production features will far outweigh Krita's nice pens.

>it's a unix
And?
>can run almost all linux software
This has nothing to do with being unix and it's actually an advantage of multi-platform applications, not an advantage of mac. Most applications that are open source and that uses multi-platform APIs can be ported to other operative systems including windows.

>gimp seems terrible and i don't see the point in learning it
Check the development version. Gimp's windows version works pretty bad but on linux works extremely smooth and it has the advantage it's a piece of software you can rely on always with no restrictions. If you know how to use photoshop using gimp is the same, i bet what confuses some people is the default layout but you can put things the same way they're on photoshop with almost no effort, you can even set the same shortcuts from photoshop at once, look at that on google.

i just mean feature wise does gimp actually match Photoshop with the amount of features? also been using photo shop for years so learning new keyboard shortcuts and everything just seems like a waste of time theres no problems with photoshop

I mean yeah, but that's because most of what I do is on my terminal. Multimedia works great too (I just use mpv and the spotify client)
I do concede LibreOffice + GIMP are not a proper replacement for MS Office + Photoshop tho

At least you tried. jk

MS Office currently a POS and Gimp for its "price" absolutely BTFO the Photoshop.

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

But they were talking about programs that are also not compatible with non-gnu/Linux

yo can i get this pasta without the embeds? pastebin?

Seeing as Sup Forums is the most popular representatives of linux as a daily driver and have yet to accomplish anything in any capacity - no.

Even linux idols are either all huge failures that have ~stalled~, or just use a macbook w/ macos.

>i just mean feature wise does gimp actually match Photoshop with the amount of features?
Damn, i should seriously install something like lazarus and lost my original post. No, at least at the moment. Yet a lot of people bashes gimp as if it were thrash without appreciating the huge work behind it with the sole purpose of benefiting people. Honestly saying that "gimp seems terrible" and "Photoshop exists and seems to be 100* better" it's not accurate or fair when gimp is a very good tool that's good for a lot of use cases. To give some insight i'll put some links with a comparison of features and with information on what's being worked and what is the roadmap of gimp so everyone can make its own conclusions:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_raster_graphics_editors
wiki.gimp.org/wiki/Hacking:TODO
wiki.gimp.org/wiki/Roadmap

I got it from a paste site too but i don't have the original URL so i just put it here if that's fine for you:
paste.org.ru/?2adulh

>2017
>can't use search&replace function of a random text editor or regex to DELID the undesired parts of a text
Nice trolling, too bad, it's unoriginal and retarded.

It is. Look at ChromeOS, it uses Linux kernel

You get it user, look at this bunch of losers
linuxfoundation.org/membership/members/
who would ever want to do something with linux unless you're employed?

MS Office is fine dude
Photoshop is clearly the superior product and is worth the money for professional use

Of course, I couldn't be at all productive without Linux on my workstations. I do far more than copy and paste.

you're a gimp dev aren't you
no one else would be this upset about people slamming gimp

yes unless you're too retarded to us anything other than botnet windows

About as difficult as being productive.
GNU plus Linux as a daily driver is the easy part.

No, and anyone who claims it's possible is lying through their teeth. Linux is meant for servers and deployment, not for users.

do you actually think it's impossible or are you just memeing i can't tell

Pointing to corporate sponsors as proof using linux as a daily driver only really highlights your ignorance of the entire situation and a desperation to rationalize linux on your desktop.

Fun fact: all of the sponsors don't use linux as a desktop platform, it would be utterly stupid to do so when windows and macos exist when they handle it MUCH better, and the corporate sponsors can afford it unlike the spic neets around here.

windows doesn't handle it better at all, sure you can use adobe junk on there but that's its only real advantage. using windows is like trying to use a swiss army knife as a wood saw

>windows doesn't handle desktop better at all
You've spent far too much time on Sup Forums if you legitimately believe such. Truly honestly, get some air, step away from Sup Forums for a while. You're turning into Terry but without any of the autistic talent.

Sure, if you don't need to use your computer to be productive.

i've used both windows and linux for years. my beliefs about the two aren't influenced by Sup Forums or anyone else

windows is honestly awful compared to linux when it comes to ease of use

and if you don't believe me then you've not actually tried linux

I use Debian full-time at work and also as my personal computer's OS.

Full-stack web/app developer (I use vm's for xcode).

I use debian at work and fedora at home.
I also have macbook.

I work as web dev.
But I also do machine learning stuff at home and write native c++ "apps" and it all works well. Just dont go batshit crazy with min arch install and stuff like that.

If you go min, you lose productivity.

>install linux
>dont have a lot of bullshit installed like videogames
>actually become less productive because I browse Sup Forums all day
o-okay...

its hard to use a kernel as daily driver. You probably mean GNU+Linux

thanks lad

>mfw I purposely installed linux to kneecap my gaymen addiction
>>download emulators anyways and have better performance than on wangblos
wew

>daily driver
I want reddit to leave

A better post than I could possibly make, we can close the thread

Programming, drawing? If you're talented and if you've got a good chair, as always.

Modeling? If you've got a good computer, as always.

Whiny manchild toys? No.

Taking notes? Yes.

You can do most of the daily life basic tasks not on your computer but using public transportation and living in a decent housing.

But GNU/Linux has a learning curve and so does Windows. FOSS tools like LaTeX are more powerful and standards in the industries where you produce documents that exceed 10 pages (like academics).

Also, in order to properly use GNU/Linux, your hardware needs to have Linux-ported or FOSS pilots. (For the record, nVidia ports their proprietary pilots to GNU/Linux so you may do modeling, but you probably couldn't on OpenBSD.) This is why FOSS guys use ThinkPads as laptops: not only are they robust but they also have an excellent GNU/Linux hardware compatibility.

So you need compatible hardware and an OOTB, well-maintained distro. This is why we usually recommend Ubuntu, Linux Mint, or Fedora.

Cheers

>Pointing to corporate sponsors as proof using linux as a daily driver only really highlights your ignorance of the entire situation and a desperation to rationalize linux on your desktop.
Kek, moving the goalposts? if what i pointed to makes you upset you should be more specific, daily driver for who in the first place?, do you think those guys gives money for charity? shm, but okay, what about this?
blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2016/03/wayland-accelerated-at-cern/

>desperation to rationalize linux on your desktop.
heh, do you think i care about why other people uses linux? i use it because i put in a balance it's pros and cons. Instead i should ask you: why so much hate about an os and it's users you supposedly don't care about?

Fun fact: all of the sponsors don't use linux as a desktop platform
Damn, you took the time to research that huge list of sponsors? neat because you're claiming it's a fact and not a supposition or an opinion, so i would gladly check the proofs you have for a reasonable amount of them, because you have them right?

> it would be utterly stupid to do so when windows and macos exist when they handle it MUCH better
Hot opinion, share your reasoning please so we can discuss it.

>and the corporate sponsors can afford it unlike the spic neets around here.
Oh, neat reasoning, if it's more expensive it's because it must be better right? That should be the reason why linux is now in the top 500 supercomputers, because, you know, those guys spends huge amounts of money in hardware but they use linux to save on some licenses riiight?

Seriously dude. Instead of trying to push your dogmas try providing reasonable and more specific thoughts, otherwise you honestly seem to be bluffing with buzzwords.

>you're a gimp dev aren't you
>no one else would be this upset about people slamming gimp
I'm not a gimp dev but honeslty i wouldn't mind contributing to it if a had the knowledge about that topic. Honestly dude, are you seriuosly trying to use shaming tactics against actual evidence? Also you grasp that by your own logic i could just say:
>you're a microsoft/apple shill aren't you?
>no one else would be this eager about slamming gimp which is a project that benefits people and don't harms anyone.

i wasn't trying to say anything about bad about gimp, just you

And how an ad hominem will help you to make any point? honestly, what you're doing don't just make yourself look bad? at what moment i insulted someone? by the way
>i wasn't trying to say anything about bad about gimp
I'm just giving an example of how your own logic can be easily used against you, not actually calling you a shill if you read carefully.
>just you
ok, but why tho? exactly what part of what i said in that post with the links and the reasoning on why it's not fair bashing gimp blindly is something bad?

i wasn't trying to make any point at all
>why?
eeeh i wasn't really trying to insult you either, i just don't understand why anyone would try to defend it this hard

kek, emulators are way better on Linux than on Windows for some reason.

>eeeh i wasn't really trying to insult you either, i just don't understand why anyone would try to defend it this hard
Why not? it's a good piece of software and i respect the effort of it's developers, it has actually served me well. What i can ask and i cannot understand easily is why some people would try to attack it this hard? it just don't make sense.

>i cannot understand easily is why some people would try to attack it this hard?
haters gonna hate just ignore them

If that's what you want you may have some problems even without emulators, here's a good pasta about that:
Not him but the no games argument is not true anymore. Windows is the best os for gaming mostly due to most game developers are trained into developing for it with microsoft's closed APIs, so the simple process of porting a game that was developed for windows to any other platform will affect negatively the performance of the game. This with the fact that the marketshare is small compared to windows there's hardly an incentive at the moment to optimize for linux, making look as if the platform were worse for games than windows when in fact to flip the situation you'll need to change the idiosyncrasies on the industry itself.

The fact though is that the situation on linux is not nearly the same than two years ago and now those who prefer linux over windows now can play games on it, helping to break the vicious circle, but still there's a lot of things to do for linux to compete in the gaming side. I anyone wants for this to change i recommend to play the games you can on linux when possible and ask for linux ports.

I notice some people doesn't want's for this to happen but if that the case let me ask (not directed specifically to the person i'm replying): how are any of you benefited in a meaningful way with the current situation? because i consider that keeping the statu quo just to have a tool to win an argument on what OS is better is not a meaningful thing. how having less options and practically being locked to MS products benefits you?

Some links:
steamdb.info/linux/
store.steampowered.com/search/?category1=998&os=linux
youtube.com/watch?v=yXr8bqzf45Y
youtube.com/user/tuxreviews/videos
youtube.com/user/airspeedmph
youtube.com/user/Jakejw93/videos
youtube.com/user/mrdeathjr28/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=AWZvwhwT1Sk
youtube.com/watch?v=W9gsu_YWUzE

>haters gonna hate just ignore them
Ok, but consider i was not trying to attack them or to censor anyone, i just provided my opinion and relevant information, read again the only moment when i needed to defend myself was because it's wording is not nice at all and even tries to false flag. I think is worse if you allow misinformation to just spread, it's better to politely point at how that information is wrong if you have the chance.

is it possible for OP to stop being a faggot

>Seriously dude. Instead of trying to push your dogmas try providing reasonable and more specific thoughts, otherwise you honestly seem to be bluffing with buzzwords.
Lack of self-awareness is a key symptom of being on the autistic spectrum.

running Linux as my daily driver for more than 5 years now... occasionally using photoshop in a windows VM when it's not working well enough in wine

You had me until you mentioned Apple anything.

kek it's funny though because Sup Forums shits on gaming for the longest time but now that it's "good" at gaming, suddenly everyone's defending games
it's almost as if you guys don't actually care and are just platform loyalists for whatever stupid reasoning, I guess desperate to fill the void that console wars left

>consider i was not trying to attack them
honestly you'd be better off just calling them retards
you aren't responsible for others you know. if someone can't form their own opinion on something just let them sit on their retardedness. you likely won't be able to change their opinion anyway
>it's better to politely point at how that information is wrong if you have the chance.
on reddit maybe, here, you won't change anyone's opinion and you'll just get people like me attacking you for it

>Lack of self-awareness is a key symptom of being on the autistic spectrum.
So name calling is your last resort? and you'll not even try to explain why my other points are wrong? Ok, so i rest my case i guess.

No. It's a server OS leetnoobs love to rice. Fuck off back to Windows.

5 poos have been deposited outside of your loo, pajeet.

>name-calling
Inability to comprehend statements is also a key symptom. Trying to help you out bud there are plenty of resources you can turn to for additional help. Attempting to divert away from autism by implying you're a rational sane human being due to placing so much emphasis on online arguments is a real bummer.
Hope that helps and you actually take my advice instead of thinking this was all about desktop OS choice as if anyone here gives a damn.

Kek, so now you try to invalidate all the other person arguments by using personal attacks in a way to abandon without further discussion or anyone questioning your claims? ok you win, this is your last (you) from my part.

>tfw I install ubuntu and have spent the past 4 days attempting to install gimp

linux is not an easy task for us brainlets

"is it possible to be productive with linux?" ..You're asking the wrong question. You should be asking YOURSELF "what do I need to be productive?" and go from there. Use whatever you need to be as productive as possible.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX. Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

no

I've seen hundred of patients in psychiatry and this definitely doesn't look like an autism syndrome, but you're a melting pile of shit.

>apt-get update
>apt-get upgrade
>apt-get install gimp
You should use a search engine or check for tutorials

the shadows are all over the place and the lighting makes no sense

We shit on people invading all tech discussion with vidya games and MUH AAA 90FPS 9k COWADOODY

I am extremely productive with Linux.
I work at a company where I have to use Windows cause our sysadmins are dumbass who configured everything to work with Windows, but at home and at university I do work with ArchLinux and it's comfy af

Generally in the default repos and available to grab it directly from a few commands or from one of the GUIs available on your distro. Just press "Install", insert your password (this is for avoiding users that cannot get elevated permission to mess with your OS) and wait a bit. Now you can launch it, there's no even the "nextnextnextbecarefulwiththecheckboxesnext" crap you get usually when installing something on windows.