What's the point of Debian when Ubuntu exists? The latter has better repos and PPAs...

What's the point of Debian when Ubuntu exists? The latter has better repos and PPAs, as well as a bigger userbase with better support.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ag1AKIl_2GM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's community driven and has a deblobbed kernel by default. Ubuntu focuses to making things easier for new users, and is backed by a commercial entity. Some supercomputers run Ubuntu and I believe the canonical team is being paid for support.

>deblobbed kernel by default
This is why.

what do the blobs do?

They don't respect muh freedom

drivers for certain things.
The problem is that these drivers are closed-source. Don't ask me how the fuck they ended up in the kernel, but they did.

Last I checked Debian wasn't using linux-libre

Correct.
But they still deblobbed the kernel.

>systemd

>better repos
No.
>PPAs
Yes.
>bigger userbase
No, not anymore.
>better support
No and, never has.

Why do you lie so much?

Why do you?

linus is a nigger thats how

Now, that's some nigger logic right there.

Ubuntu was a mistake that's why

the only relevant desktop distro are Debian, Opensuse and Fedora

others are etheir shitty garbage that shouldn't exist (Ubuntu, Mint, Elementary OS) or niche project (Gentoo,Arch, BSD*, Void, CloverOS...)

On Ubuntu LTS I had bug with my soundcard and my touchpad, same on 16.10, installing Tumbleweed fixed that for me

is right
Moreover, *the only* reason to use Ubuntu is that it's easier for beginners than most distros. But Debian is better in every other possible way.

>Ubumtu has worst repos (out of all mainstream distros that is).
>Ubuntu does some really annoying stuff, like the error reporting thingy.
>Ubuntu is more bloated, Debian is just more versatile.

pls see pic related

Honest? I like that Debian doesn't change much. When ubuntu changed to unity I basically dropped it. Having to fix/uninstall shit that the ubuntu devs change for no reason got annoying as fuck.

spliting a distro by DE is retarded

I'd rather use Sid than touch Ubuntu desu.

>Debian doesn't change much
ubuntu is in a hard place between windows and fagos.
They changed so many features and packages the last 5 years that I cannot remember.
They have been steering the project with amateur moves, justifying their userbase, that it's impossible to keep a track of where ubuntu is heading.
If next year's thing is sucking dick, be sure that they will include it in their distro.
Canonical made several failed attempts to copy Microsoft and Apple and the worst part is that those attempts dragged them even more lower to the shiet tier companies segment.
If ubuntu suddenly disappears from the face of the earth, nothing of value would be lost.

Desu, ubuntu is made for normies who want a windows replacement.

When I switched from Ubuntu to debian, I got less bloat and better support. Half the time when searching for a solution to a Ubuntu problem, you will be forwarded to some retarded gui fix.

They are trying to find a way to attract an average user, give them a break.

>>better repos
>No.
debian still has firefox esr not only in stable, but also testing LMAO

>OpenSuse and Fedora should exist
Literally fuck off heretical shitter. Debian is the UNIVERSAL OPERATING SYSTEM. Corporate cocksucker distros do not belong in the Open Source community.

>fuck suse and redhat
>80% of the support of linux and FOSS

damn stragiht my nigger

I use Ubuntu but I wouldn't trust canonical to develop it if Debian didn't exist. It's a project compromised with free software, robust standards and stability, they're a great example of a free software project working, I wouldn't really trust any private entity to do the work that Debian is doing and all Debian based distros benefit from their work.

>What's the point of Debian when Ubuntu exists?

"What is the point of Ubuntu when Debian exist?"

FTFY

Ubuntu wouldnt exist without Debian.

But with that being said... I agree. Debian needs to adopt PPA's and instead of:

> hurr hurr no proprietary drivers
needs to bundle them and then have the user choose on install

>> hurr hurr no proprietary drivers
>needs to bundle them and then have the user choose on install
Or instead they can assume the user has two brain cells and is capable of downliading the ISO with proprietary shitware installed and still fullfill their standards regarding free software and leave the folk with functioning hardware.

A decoy for the SJWs to bite at, hopefully distracting them from decent distros.

>the 80% that's shoving DRM into the kernel
Literally fuck off.

>A .deb dependency hell cuck tries to turn Linux proprietary while ranting about companies who back open source distros because "muh corporayshuns"

>They are trying to find a way to attract an average user, give them a break.
I guess selling user queries to amazon, starting your own display server, your own DE, your own Mobile UI, e.t.c. are attempts to attract normies.

They only tried to hide linux's magic, the cli.
Making your own version of windows or macos is not getting normies to use it, you are just targeting idiots.
Ubuntu server edition attracted all those clueless "devs" that REEEEEE every time they see something different than python or javascript.
Good thing is that ubuntu is dying slowly, so there is hope for ppl to migrate to core distros and we can then push companies for more support on those distros.

Look, all I'm saying is that Canonical came in and made "debian easier" and has effectively killed the distro.

I agree proprietary shit sucks; but the average user doesnt give a shit about that.

>What's the point of Debian when Ubuntu exists?

None. Install Gentoo.

>and has effectively killed the distro.
Pull your head ot of your arse because it couldn't be further from truth.

>but the average user doesnt give a shit about that.
The average user uses Windows. Fuck off mate.

The average user doesn't code so what they think means nothing with respect to Debian. Debian is a fountain from which many distros flow. If some of those die then Debian will remain.

The average user doesn't need a desktop or anything but their phone. The average used doesn't need desktop Linux. Windows is fine for anyone not in IT or not a frothing spergtard.

We're talking about a conversion rate between Windows to Linux

Only idiots recommend new linux users to use Debian.

Strawman, but ok?

>Debian, Opensuse and Fedora
Not saying you're wrong here in terms of comparative merit, but the only time your choice of OS really matter is when you're developing native software.
If a driver doesn't exist for this or that program, or hardware compatibility is shit there's always a fix out there to resolve the issue. Just use whatever the fuck you want.

because, you know, we want linux to be well supported but only with illeterate free time developper.
if it's a corporation it's baaaad

>>better support
>No and, never has.
canonical's enterprise support is excellent

Oh, it has the only Firefox version that doesn't install proprietary DRM stuff and disables your ad blockers? Why the fuck would they use that? I'm using Ubuntu now!

Then go unstable.

>What's the point of Debian when Devuan exists?

/Thread

>

The only distros that should exist are Ubuntu, Fedora and Gentoo.
Rest are all pointless hobby ,OSes.

Just use void you pussy bitch. devuan is sooooo fucking buggy. Very very shit distro

I hate when people choose distros like arch, manjaro, ubuntu,mint , Antergos, solus , opensuse , fedora or any other of the thousands of gnu/linux meme distros.

Use debian or gentoo.

I don't understand how Ubuntu has Wi-Fi working out of the box, I run vrms and it says I have nothing non-free on my system (great!). BUT on Debian I have to install firmware-realtek (non-free) to use Wi-Fi.
So...how can Ubuntu give me libre Wi-Fi firmware and Debian can't?

Ubuntu is fake news distro. They are lying to you about the wifi drivers. Whats the name of your wifi driver, is it broadcom?

Debian doesn't have blobs in its kernel.

It is TL-WN725N, m8.
So vrms can't detect these blobs?

(You)

Because people use linux for other things than desktop computing.
Sometimes your computer just don't have a screen or keyboard or mouse.

>that doesn't install proprietary DRM stuff and disables your ad blockers
>implying either of those is a good thing

it's called gnu/linux

youtube.com/watch?v=Ag1AKIl_2GM

Yes, but ubuntu is a gnu/linux distro with shitload of stuff installed that might not be useful in all situations.

you can have Linux without GNU, and even have it be a complete system (see: Alpine)
you can write a program that targets Linux and has no GNU dependencies (really, a lot of programs fall under this -- like, a lot of Linux software isn't GNU dependant software)

The name GNU/Linux is strictly Stallman trying to spread the GNU name after GNU/Hurd fell through, and shouldn't be used just because it's purely promotional rather than descriptive or informative.

Doesn't matter gnu, gpl , linux all the same thing. Alpine busybox uses the GNU GPLv2 license. Don't disrespect stallman

without debian the hacks at canonical would have nothing to put their cruddy UI on top of...
no seriously tho have you even heard of debian testing?
why would i wait to reinstall my whole os when i can roll out a fresh kernel with just 'apt-get dist-upgrade'?

>TFW i thought the filename was b_1_q_p_0_p_p_a