/tpg/ - ThinkPad General thread

Old Thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN HP 2570p/2170p/8570w, Dell E6430/E6440, IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Recommended IBM models:
X60, X61, T60, T61, 860, Transnote, PC110

Recommended modern models:
X220 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
T420 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable w/ Coreboot
W520 - 15", 1080p, Desktop Replacement, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
T440p, T540p, W540 - last ThinkPads to have replaceable CPUs, IPS displays available, chiclet
P series - reminiscent to old build quality, top-of-the-line specs, better than most current mobile workstations, but very expensive

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

EPP discount for new ThinkPads:
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW (embed)

BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IC_tV7FDyfs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

:^)

About every 15 hibernates, when I start my pc, its says something about paged area error and a blue screen comes up

>t470

FIRST FOR CLITPOINT

check event viewer and see which driver did this.

Sorry but I left this cult for 1080p and better battery life.

my X201i dropped battery life by over a hour after geting 8GB ram installed up form 4GB.
>tfw :only 1 hour .28mins

rude.

My X230's (original) charger blew up during a workshop few days ago.
Need to get a charger and a new battery just to be safe.

Recommendations for a eurocuck?

Anybody know what date is the new x280 being released?

why new battery? It has nothing to do with charger blowing up.
If you got a standard x230 without i7 AND IPS screen then just get 65W one. If you got both i7 and ips get 90W.

>tfw 1080p ips, cool as fug temps on a quad core processor, single core performance on par with a desktop ryzen 7 and 9h of battery life
T440p best girl

What's the best ThinkPad for eGPU setup?

State preferred screen size.

Cos this one dies pretty quickly anyway.

Weird thing that was happening before the charger blew up was that it would refuse to charge. Had to remove the battery a few times and pray. Finally it started working and after more or less 2 hours exploded.

Would you recommend that I get an original one or does it not matter at all?

I had a maxed out t430 and a x230. The screen sizes are a frustration and the size and weight and battery life were not ideal. Still excellent machines. Love the docking systems. The thunderbolt docks just aren't as elegant.

I'm looking forward to the 8th Gen Intel u processors dell and Lenovo will have in the t470 and latitude series.

for now I'm rocking a dell 7480 with a 7th Gen dual core until the new business offerings are out.

Original, and only original. Both battery and power supply.

>=1600x900

That's resolution. I'm asking about screen size.
14"? 15"?

The t440p is nice but no expresscard for egpu I think and the trackpoint buttons were frustrating. You can switch the mouse buttons from what I've read. Honestly ' switched to dell because they're American owned and I don't like the Chinese much. Thinkpads are probably still marginally better but I don't have faith in Lenovo to uphold the legacy over time. It's sad IBM gave them up. Best machines.

T430 use an external monitor for gaming though.

anything that has daul USB3.0

even my x201i can support eGPU with USB 3.0 express-card update and a miner eGPU bourd with a gpu on it.
the problem comes as dust and shorting bacusr no cover use you wanta buy a gamer -eGpu setup and cost a fortune the your'll need USB_C

thanks. good idea.

Are you mentally retarded?
PCIe can't go through USB 3.0 you lying nigger. Get out.

>shorting bacusr
short'd because no protection.

damn cat

>Being this dumb
here is the proof then.

You are dumb, you stupid nigger. This is for PCIe cards with USB lines used only. So it's about WWAN cards or some custom shit like fpga miners.
This has nothing to do with PCIe devices such as graphic cards. You dumb nigger.

I'm thinking of getting an used X230.
Should I trust the used battery or get a new one? How hard do laptop batteries degrade anyway?

I'd trust the used battery but I'd get a bigger battery if it didn't come with the biggest one.

this are not fpga you dumb fuck.
the connector is a PCI_E gen-1
are you stupid?

it was used for Ethereum (ETH) you can't use a fpga on them and your worng.
Its just a extender that's all nothing else needed.

btw you attach the data link cable inside the laptop you have to have a pci mini inside the laptop.

This is how you connect the pci extender inside the laptop.
the usb is more or less for data not power. you need a PSU.

PCIE Riser to laptop installation.
youtube.com/watch?v=IC_tV7FDyfs

learn english.
Shit above you've at first will not work with PCIe graphics cards. It doesn't have PERST switch which is absolutely required for thinkpads and elitebooks to even detect gpu.
Second device is a real eGPU module, EXP GDC to be precise. And it's NOT a riser.

Now seriously get the fuck out.

you've posted at first*

Got an X60t yesterday. How do you remove this glue stuff? It's not an adhesive I'm used to. It's like solid plastic. Sorry for bad picture quality.

What the fuck

you can't and you won't. Owner's sticker that was on top of it was designed to make it look like that after removal.
Get a new cover. Or cover it with some sticker.
Pic rel should be alright for you.

That's a shame. Thanks though.

looks like a fucking burn mark nigger

what ram should i buy for my x220? any amazon links? whats the specification i should be looking for

Considering buying a W500 & Librebooting. Anyone with a T/W500 care on commenting/sharing experiences?

just put an anime sticker there like all the cool kids

pc3l-12800

>pc3l-12800
thx, do you know how many slots of ram the x220 has? im assuming its one

Can someone help me identify this thinkpad? I'm a total noob to them and have no idea what it is.

two up to 8gb/slot

Dear /tpg/

Got pic related from work, they don't give a shit about it. Is it any good? I'm gonna install a Linux distro but I want to know if it worths the try.

x220

thx, so there are two slots each with a max of 8gb? so i can only have 16gb max total ram if both slots have 8gb?

Does anyone know how to identify which motherboard will work in my x230? I spilled water on it and it won't turn on now.

yes

is $300CAD ($230 USD) a good deal for an x220 with an IPS screen, 120gb ssd, 8gb of RAM and an i7 2640M? I'm pretty new to this shit and it seems like a decent deal.

It doesnt have the same quality that older Thinkpad laptops do, but its not a bad laptop especially if you got it for free or cheap

Could be cheaper desu, but not too bad. If it's an individual selling it, see if you can talk them to $270CAD

Nvm, I misread the amount of time left for bids, I thought it said 2 hours, not 2 days. Plus he's selling for cancer treatment and haggling that seems like a cunt move

He could be lying about that cancer treatment thing but 300 is not bad.

rolling an x201 myself, getting 3 hours with 8gig. is your battery fucked????

>X60, X61, T60, T61, 860, Transnote, PC110
wassn't t60 manufactured by lenovo?

Yes, but under license (therefore quality is still better than nu-novo) and still had IBM branding

hmm well alright

how do i even go about deciphering which model of ancient laptop is best for me?

where are all the resources?

Re-read the OP, but here's a quick guide

>browserbox
Literally any of the 64-bit ones.

>Light gayman or Medium-Strain computing
T420 or newer with i7

>Libre memery
**00 or earlier

>Heavy-duty shit
W-series with i7 and eGPU

you forgot

>comfy
x60/x61/x60t/x61t

more like
>comfy
any of the 16:12 or 16:10 versions

>16:12
it's 4:3 you bastard

x220, probably i5 with top tier shit TN panel. Get rid of Windows 10, get a SSD, change the panel for the IPS one. It will last you for another decade

having all the ratios relative to 16 was more even desu.

I'm currently using L430, but think of upgrading it to something better yet Thinkpad, not """Thinkpad""". I want to use it for some gayming for stuff like Portal 2. Is W530 good enough for that? Also, is it possible to do it and coreboot W530 then?

W530 is pretty good for gayman, get an eGPU for it and you've got a good setup. Also, coreboot W530 is not possible (my source is web search to plebbit from 10 months ago so don't hold me to that) but W520 is possible.

you all claim to be the gods of thinkpads, but I've never been able to pry out how to find out which motherboard to buy for an x230 out of any of you. I've been asking the same question for weeks

>I've been asking the same question for weeks
and you can get the answer in minutes

couple of stupid questions but i'm paranoid so i figured id ask anyways

1) the way my desk is positioned my laptop sits underneath a heating vent. the hot air basically blew down on my laptop for a day or two. will this cause permanent damage to the laptop?

2) the thinkpad dock i have for my laptop seems like it isnt very tight. the thinkpad is somewhat anchored to the dock but its kindof looks and it has wiggled. will this damage the thinkpad dock connector on the bottom of the laptop?

3) how bad is it to leave the battery in 100% of the time while im leaving my thinkpad on the dock charging?

1. No.
2. No, as long as it isn't torqued in a direction that isnt intended for the connector.
3. As long as you have software adjustments for this, no issues.

W530 + overclocked i7-3940xm + 32GB 2133MT/s RAM + 1920x1080 screen + k2000m 2GB + GTX 1070 eGPU + 2x2TB HDDs + 1TB mSATA SSD
Is there a more beautiful machine?

1) Nope
2) That's normal.
3) If you're running TLP + Thinkpad-ACPI, you're fine.

thanks guys

yes, X61T full of visual novels

x61t is shit senapi :^)

What software adjustments do you mean?

TLP+Thinkpad-ACPI

>how bad is it to leave the battery in 100% of the time while im leaving my thinkpad on the dock charging?
not bad at all with some tweaking, sort of bad if you leave it fully charged at 100%

>full of visual novels
which ones

Lewd ones~

old ones with 4:3 only

the best kind.

Anyone have experience with the newer xeon thinkpads? Boss is considering them or Dell Precision of the same year model for fleet upgrades in Jan. Price is about the same. Anything I can tell him to look intelligent and get brownie points?

that he should also consider HP products

We're replacing HP products. :^)

this but pls filter all china lenovo from the list

What, the 440 and onward? It's not like they turned into crapple overnight, they're just not as legendary as their predecessors when it came to build quality.

Just bought a Precision with the same specs yesterday, (minus the absurd storage) but with a K4100M 4GB. There's one more for ~$800 on Ebay right now.

>tfw addicted to upgrading my TP

I keep wondering if modular open hardware laptops are ever going to replace thinkpads spot in the holy trinity of neckbeard wizardry.

RIght now those kinds of projects all seem like shit, even small devices like the dragonbox pyra which gets an A for effort is all in all overpriced garbage.

Have any of you fags found a sling pack that will fit an x220 or later model? Asking for a friend

'Sup guys, today I bought for 15€ this 380D, the previous owner was quite a good middle-aged guy, the laptop isn't in bad condition (only some spots of black paint are gone) and the battery is somehow still alive but the most awkard thing found was the activity of the former owner. Basically he kept using this 20 year old machine for work until the last year and what really makes me curious is how was he able to use this laptop in a modern scenario, since this model doesn't have any USB or RJ interface. It should have a double PCMCIA Type 2 but there was no card attached. This leaves out only the DB-25 port and the DB-9 ports out, but nowadays these ports are useless.
So, how could he work without any big problem with some outdated hardware untill the last year?

I use this, found it at a thrift store for a few bucks

I can get a 2nd gen X1 Yoga new for ~$900
>i7
>8GB Ram
>512GB SSD
>1440p
yay/nay?

I just got T400, and it won't boot up. (not even bios). When i plug charger to it, I get green LED power indicator, and same thing for battery (yellow when i first got it -> green after i charged it for a while). is it just gone? or is there anyway i can check whether i can fix it or not? thx

You may have a bad keyboard. You could try replacing the keyboard and hoping for the best. If you have a compatible dock, try the power button on that.

Also, if you have a fingerprint sensor, I believe that works as a power button as well.

jfc

thx m8. tried using keyboard from T61. works like a charm

Yeah, I figured I'd throw that out since I actually have the same issue with a T420. I'm waiting on a replacement keyboard.

Good time of day, /tpg/
i got an x201 not too long ago and so far i'm loving it, but i have a few questions

1) My Thinkpad currently has 2x2gb RAM installed, is it okay if i replace one of the 2gb sticks with a 4gb stick to have 2gb+4gb = 6gb in total of RAM? Are there any drawbacks to mixing RAM sizes like this?

2) Has anyone tried an eGPU through ExpressCard solution like picrelated? There's really not too much info out there on eGPUs and it seems to be a pretty niche thing, but i'm curious how much success (if anyone's tried it) have people here had with it.
What should i expect from it?

3)What are other uses of an ExpressCard slot? Can i do anything interesting or at least somewhat useful with it?

Want to upgrade my T420 because the motherboard is slowly dying and the screen is shit. Are the TN and IPS panels on the X230 directly interchangeable? Price inflation on the X230 IPS is making it seem like buying a TN x230 and immediately switching panels would be more cost effective.