Retro tech thread comfy edition

Post your comfy retro tech

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.ca/itm/Macintosh-SE-30-Recapped-128Mb-RAM-2Gb-SCSI2SD-ROM-INATOR-2-Ethernet-RJ45/192392438717?hash=item2ccb7ba3bd:g:B5MAAOSwL5BZ3SRP
ebay.ca/itm/Farallon-Apple-Macintosh-NuBus-10-BaseT-RJ45-Network-Ethernet-Card-10mbit-s/322711708329?hash=item4b231de2a9:g:70wAAOSw0bJZrR4x
ebay.ca/itm/MAC-SE-30-Vintage/182939940598?hash=item2a9811f6f6:g:gHQAAOSw9mpaIdEc
ebay.com/itm/Asante-MacCon-Network-Card-For-Macintosh-SE30-Rev-A-PN-09-00200-61/192310086435?hash=item2cc6930b23:g:x68AAOSwrf1ZaS9x
youtu.be/iGpU3DicbLQ
ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=Macintosh SE/30&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1
ebay.com/itm/Asante-SCSI-To-Ethernet-Adaptor-for-Macintosh-Hard-to-Find-/192335243710?hash=item2cc812e9be:g:4S4AAOSwPvBZ49vy&nma=true&si=xcXqxVgp8psadU%2BkTqvq6v8OMxA%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
ebay.com/itm/CentreCOM-210T-Twisted-Pair-Transceiver-Cisco-ETHERNET-AUI-TRANSCEIVER-AT-210T/253275168755?hash=item3af8605ff3:g:-okAAOSwk~ZZ7muF
youtube.com/watch?v=YKzw_kzLkWA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>macshit
Into the trash it goes.

>He doesn't have a color display

Yeah well, my mac is now worth about $1000. Due to the network card. I could trade it for a color mac classic. But the black/white screen is pretty comfy.

>Yeah well, my mac is now worth about $1000.
delusion
e
l
u
s
i
o
n

>Worth 1000 bucks

Also, your mac is way behind Commodore and Atari.
>PC Speaker
>Tiny screen
My Amiga 500 can even play a first person shooter.
Can your Mac do that? No? I thought so.
Also, my Amiga 500 also does text to voice too. Apples computers aren't special. Apple computers were over priced back then as they are now. Seriously, why were Amigas in color and cost less and had Multitasking?

Are you literary a hipster shit without any clue?
I have my SE/30 (with a 32-bit clean ROM, Ethernet card, 128MB RAM, 15GB 10kRPM SCSI drive with 68 to 50pin adapter) on sale for a few years now (I have all my old machines always on sale, as sometimes museums will buy them for ridiculous amounts) and the biggest offer I've gotten is 300€. This machine costed me less than 80€ five/six years ago when I assembled it.

His Macintosh can play FPS games, it's just a black and white '030 Macintosh. Stop being a dipshit retard.
That's why people hate Amiga fags.

t. Amiga fag.

look how they are going on ebay right now faggot. Maybe its because you are living in europoor land. Also, I bought my machine 10 years ago for less than what you paid. I used to play with these as a kid, thats why I have one. Because I enjoy them.

Lastly, why the hell would you put 128MB of ram and 15GB hard disk space on this 16MHz computer??? What the fuck is wrong with you. Just because you *can*, doesn't mean you should. It would seem that you are the idiot hipster.

>look how they are going on ebay right now faggot.
They are not "going" anywhere, they just sit there with stupid (hipster) prices. (That you obviously agree with)

>Lastly, why the hell would you put 128MB of ram and 15GB hard disk space on this 16MHz computer??? What the fuck is wrong with you. Just because you *can*, doesn't mean you should. It would seem that you are the idiot hipster.
I'm glad that people who enjoy their hardware makes you this mad.
What are you doing with Netscape? Go back to playing Lode Runner.

And none of them have open gl so the Mac was the best. Even dos and win 95 didnt

almost no 68k macintoshes have opengl
amiga actually has opengl support if you use a card with opengl

Apple was always shit.

>I'm glad that people who enjoy their hardware makes you this mad.
He is definitely not enjoying his 128megs of ram, or his 15 gigs of hard disk space, on an SE/30. That is certain.

I never cared for color on low-end systems that old. They usually had garish as fuck palettes and tried too hard to show off their capabilities and ended up with interfaces that looked like fisher price toys out of the box.

I'd take a nice bitmapped monochrome system with a clean interface over a color home computer any day of the week, I don't play games anyway.

posts like these are why I love to troll amigatards
easily the most obnoxious and whiny fanbase in retrocomputing with a huge inferiority complex to boot

Nice! I have a 15000 RPM 18 GB drive in mine.
It sounds like a jet taking off when you turn it on.

You do realise he's a common shitposter and you got hooked yourself right now?
Oh the irony.

You probably never seen actual Amiga fanboys. 25 year olds with Amigas who like to shitpost don't count.

Dude! I have a 20,000 RPM SCSI 32GB drive in mine. And 128MB ram. Sick as fuck.

always figured it was just maybe 1-3 europoors jerking each other off but I still hate them anyway, I've just never seen a level-headed amigaposter that liked their own platform and respected others the same way a lot of other people in retrocomputing seem to, it's always either shitposting or unironic retards constantly trying to make sure we know that the Amiga had pretty good graphics/sound at the price point and everything else from that period belongs in the trash because it was so "behind" even though the Amiga was nowhere near the most advanced microcomputer system itself

as much as I'd love to pick up a nice big box some day I still can't help but associate the platform with those kinds of retarded fanboys

I don't know if you're new here or just a shitposting dumbass.
I can't related to any of what you just said about anything that goes on on Sup Forums when it comes to retrocomputing. If we are talking about serious things and not just shitposting threads like this one sadly came out to be.

If you mean the bait.
Bait exists, ignore it or go with it, don't complain.

The only actual Amiga fanboys I know that have a few machines and actually know their things are people who also have many other machines and interests in old computers. I think what you're describing is the /vr/ shitfests like Australia-kun used to produce.

I have 132MB in mine.
Checkmate.

been here for years and have rarely seen amigaposting that wasn't blatant bait or nostalgia-goggled fanboy bullshit
and stop getting all defensive and broken-englished, you're letting your true colors bleed through my friend
it's possible, like I said I'm sure it's just a vocal minority of retarded master baiters leaving a bad taste in my mouth but it still feels like garbage like that is more common than actual genuine discussion
maybe it becomes hard to tell it anymore when you associate genuine enthusiasm and appreciation with "fanboyism" which is too easy on Sup Forums sometimes

>make stupid claims
>start to shitpost about others when you get called out for it.
you just ruined your own thread

>maybe it becomes hard to tell it anymore when you associate genuine enthusiasm and appreciation with "fanboyism" which is too easy on Sup Forums sometimes
that sums up Sup Forums pretty well

>been here for years and have rarely seen amigaposting that wasn't blatant bait or nostalgia-goggled fanboy bullshit
That's the thing. There's a button to hide a post when you realize it's a shitpost.
Ignore and continue.

>as much as I'd love to pick up a nice big box some day I still can't help but associate the platform with those kinds of retarded fanboys
Also you shouldn't really care what others do or think, 20 years ago people would have though you're a nut for even collecting old computers.

it's still Sup Forums though, sometimes when you see something absolutely retarded it's hard not to call it out especially if you're in a slow thread and you're bored as shit, I try not to (You) them as much anymore though, unless I know I'll yield some good shit out of it
yeah fuck that I didn't mean it from that angle at all, I'd jump on one no matter what, all I meant was that even though I still like the systems I find the shills insufferable

naw, your just jelly. Also, I have no intention to sell mine ever. So I don't ultimately give a shit about how much it could fetch.

>classic mac

This thread is bad and you should feel bad

Because Amigas were superior tech to early crapintoshes and PCs.

the only one I see on there right now is like $350 BIN with free shipping, so where the fuck did you pull $1000 from? SE/30s are nice but they're nowhere near that nice, even if you throw in a fairly inexpensive NIC.
>why the hell would you put 128MB of ram and 15GB hard disk space on this 16MHz computer???
because the stock 2-8 MB RAM and 80 MB disks they shipped with were ass unless you've got enough peripherals or other systems to spread the workload around, seriously doubt your machine is stock either if it's running fucking netscape without choking

nothing wrong with 68k macs as long as the people posting them aren't retarded about it

ebay.ca/itm/Macintosh-SE-30-Recapped-128Mb-RAM-2Gb-SCSI2SD-ROM-INATOR-2-Ethernet-RJ45/192392438717?hash=item2ccb7ba3bd:g:B5MAAOSwL5BZ3SRP

Going for 999 EUR.

Is the one you saw have ethernet or not?

Mine has 32MB RAM which I just upgraded from 8MB a couple days ago along with soldering new caps. I intend to use this as an SSH terminal, and to play some old nostalgic games.

By the way, do you recall a game where you have to build a house? You could add appliances like TVs and shit. If you know the name, I'd appreciate it. loved that game as a kid but I forget the name.

I agree. Not to mention, old disks are unreliable and much nicer on display then actually using them when you mostly only play games on your machine.

>Going for 999 EUR.
Anyone home in your head?
I can ask 2000 EUR for my old toaster and have it up for 10 years, does not mean anybody is going to buy it. Especially when you can get one for less than 3x the price when you look around.

Not even the user you replied to.

>going by eBay prices to value your computer

If you tried selling your computer, do you think someone will actually buy it for that price?

>128MB RAM
>2GB SCSI2SD
like OP said, it's shit

>recapped
nope.avi.bin.hqx
not original anymore

Post the link to one selling for less than USD 1000 that has a NIC then. And like I said, I don't give a shit ultimately.

I NEVER understood why people do this, they look up prices that people ask on fucking eBay.
Everywhere where people sell their old shit they go like:
>"brb, I'll check the price on eBay"
>"oh, apparently between all those $15 prices, there's a $150 one, so I want $150 for my broken shit too! take it or leave it!"

Lol so many anons triggered by the valuation.

Should I finally admit defeat and just buy a raspberry pi?

>be Amiga
>go to tv studio to edit tv programs with video toaster
>use a digitizer to help make a magazine cover and use Deluxe Paint for graphics
>go home and play fantastic games and hangout on the local BBS
>download music created by musical geniuses

>recapped
nope.avi.bin.hqx
not original anymore

You won't find one with original caps that does not suffer from severe leakage corrosion along neighboring pins and ICs. The original caps are absolute garbage.

How about you buy a SE/30 and a NIC separately?
ebay.ca/itm/Farallon-Apple-Macintosh-NuBus-10-BaseT-RJ45-Network-Ethernet-Card-10mbit-s/322711708329?hash=item4b231de2a9:g:70wAAOSw0bJZrR4x
This is a BUY NOW price.

Even when you pair it with something like this
ebay.ca/itm/MAC-SE-30-Vintage/182939940598?hash=item2a9811f6f6:g:gHQAAOSw9mpaIdEc

It's still under 300 bucks. Add 50 bucks for keyboard and mouse and a recap kit, another 20 bucks for four sticks of 32MB SIMMs.

And those are eBay prices.
Changes are, you could get it for half the price when you look around locally though and not on eBay.

You are a fucking idiot. Seriously.

That's true. All that was possible.
It was a great machine for those things for small fries that needed it on a budget and couldn't afford high end workstation hardware.

Not an argument.

The SE/30 had a different ethernet card.
Sure this one would probably work if you manually extended the ports, but the original one is probably hardware to find.

incompatible nic

i wouldn't trust you to build me a lego house

Yup. It's stupid hipster shit from the last 10 years that has totally ruined this (then) cheap hobby.

>a BIN store listing the seller has probably been sitting on for months that's also pretty much fully kitted out with even a SCSI2SD mod not to mention recapped/restored
even with all that considered it's an exorbitant price nobody is paying, your shit's worth $250-300 if it's in good shape and complete, maybe $350 with the boxes, nothing more, and even with that your logic would drive amigashit prices way over the top of that with a similarly kitted system
>Is the one you saw have ethernet or not?
doesn't matter, I can buy that one and order a card and proper transceiver separately for $30, installing the card isn't going to tack on an extra $700 to the list value either
>Mine has 32MB RAM which I just upgraded from 8MB a couple days ago along with soldering new caps.
pretty fucking overkill for a "16 MHz computer" using your same logic, very few if any SE/30s would have been kitted out that high out of the factory
>By the way, do you recall a game where you have to build a house? You could add appliances like TVs and shit. If you know the name, I'd appreciate it. loved that game as a kid but I forget the name.
no but it sounds fun, try hitting the macintosh garden or something and see if you can come up with it, post it here so people will have something to discuss with you other than that inflated value you put on that system
SE/30 didn't use NuBus, it and the IIsi used an 030 PDS slot
ebay.com/itm/Asante-MacCon-Network-Card-For-Macintosh-SE30-Rev-A-PN-09-00200-61/192310086435?hash=item2cc6930b23:g:x68AAOSwrf1ZaS9x
here's an SE/30 MacCon still way under $700, saw a regular SE one that sold for $40 too, doubt they're compatible though due to the 68000/68030 differences

Thank you user

>on this 16MHz computer
>not chipping your 68030 and watching it go up in fireworks
pleb

youtu.be/iGpU3DicbLQ

Relevant retro enthusiasts, post your demo scenes

>amiga
into the trash it goes

ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=Macintosh SE/30&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1
and here's where you want to look to actually get a value on a system if you're going to use fucking ebay to do it
they can get pretty expensive but you can still find them easily
also something to never forget: SCSI ethernet adapters
ebay.com/itm/Asante-SCSI-To-Ethernet-Adaptor-for-Macintosh-Hard-to-Find-/192335243710?hash=item2cc812e9be:g:4S4AAOSwPvBZ49vy&nma=true&si=xcXqxVgp8psadU%2BkTqvq6v8OMxA%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
sometimes I contemplate suicide because I can't find mine, when I pulled it I was more hype for the HDI-30 to DB-25 adapter attached to it and didn't have any projects that needed such an adapter so I misplaced it... somewhere

>ebay.com/itm/Asante-MacCon-Network-Card-For-Macintosh-SE30-Rev-A-PN-09-00200-61/192310086435?hash=item2cc6930b23:g:x68AAOSwrf1ZaS9x
>here's an SE/30 MacCon still way under $700, saw a regular SE one that sold for $40 too, doubt they're compatible though due to the 68000/68030 differences
Dear fucking lord. Take a closer look at that NIC card. No RJ-45 port. Nice try though.

fuck you I spent five or more posts lecturing amigatards on being partisan fucks and you undermine my shit with this gay one-liner
ebay.com/itm/CentreCOM-210T-Twisted-Pair-Transceiver-Cisco-ETHERNET-AUI-TRANSCEIVER-AT-210T/253275168755?hash=item3af8605ff3:g:-okAAOSwk~ZZ7muF
come on nigger, RJ-45 wasn't even really a thing during the SE/30's golden age

>Dear fucking lord. Take a closer look at that NIC card. No RJ-45 port. Nice try though.
Are you retarded?

Where are the other retro enthusiasts such as Atari, ZX Spectrum, Acorn, PC?

The only thing on this thread is OP arguing about the price of his hardware. I want to discuss retro computers like Atari and Amiga.

You may be able to find an adaptive way to get it cheap, but the network card with the rj45 port is what everyones after.

they may be preferable, but nobody's going to pay $1000 for the privilege of having one
the difference is ultimately just an extra $10 transceiver for the same shitty 10base-T connection

did Atari even really have a market outside of Germany? not really a lot of Acorn people either, the hardware just isn't common so it's not going to attract a ton of people rearing to just discuss those systems.

I still listen to the mod files from that occasionally. Here's one of my favorite C64 demos: youtube.com/watch?v=YKzw_kzLkWA

All actual retro enthusiasts I know love several platforms and not just one.
The people who love just one platform are usually just people who grew up with one specific machine and can't get over it, just like Nintendo and Sega fags.

I just want this thread about retro computers to not be shit. Instead we got a Amigian bragging and OP arguing about price. Why can’t we have a proper retro thread where people can nostalgia over their old computers?

there's just a lack of content lately, it's a justin-tier thing to say but fuck the last couple threads I've been in just feel full of reposts and all the new pictures are either shit that isn't running or just shit that isn't doing anything interesting

plus with finals and all that a lot of us shithead 20-somethings don't have time to engage in new projects, or at least blog about them

This thread ain't shit, it's humorous.

The 700 lives again. No multi-CRT setups on this desklet though.
Drive didn't spin up the first time I booted it and just about shit myself, and System 7 is eating 15 MB of memory for no apparent reason so I have to browse the web with Lynx on my C3000. Maybe it's finally time to switch over to A/UX if I can't figure it out.

Cool OP

Awesome!
Nice to see it working again!

A/UX isn't hard and there are plenty of guides, you'll easily manage it.
I'd dual boot though, A/UX isn't perfect, even with all it's MacOS parts when you just want to run MacOS stuff.

Nah, I'm not him. I wouldn't mind a nice SE/30 though. Snow White compacts look pretty great. All I've got is a shitty little late-model FDHD that I tried putting to work as a library catalog system once with MS works, didn't do a bad job of it but I'd rather have something easier to back up and use on other systems.
Have you had much experience with it? Do you know if the System 6/7 layer supports extensions that modify the interface to any extent? It seems like it might depending on how the GUI is handled, or I guess what side of the operating system is responsible for handling it.

And is it just unstable, or lacking in compatibility in some areas?

>Have you had much experience with it?
I've messed around with it. Not as much experience as with other UNIX systems of the time though. In many ways it's a beast of it's own too.

>Do you know if the System 6/7 layer supports extensions that modify the interface to any extent?
>And is it just unstable, or lacking in compatibility in some areas?
I haven't tried any extensions that modify the interface, like themes. But I'd guess when you're running Finder instead of X, it should work. I'm mostly interested in the UNIX part and X and haven't played around with the MacOS part of it much.
Most of the incompatibility come from how the UNIX part handles the hardware, so some extensions or programs won't like that.
Also that you're running a separate system side by side, it's just useless resource hog when you want to do things like play MacOS games.

Luckily there is lots of helpful documentation that cover all the basics that I recommend you look up.

So I might not totally be screwed, then. I wasn't sure if they'd tried to port the Finder look and feel over to X or not, since most of the screencaps I've seen show the Finder rather than a more traditional window manager.

You're right about resources though, shit probably would rape my RAM even worse than 7.0.1 already is, I've got a 16 MB kit in it right now and I need to up it to 32, it just isn't cutting it.

I still have no idea why, I remember it eating only 5-7 MB before I put it into storage and now even with all extensions off it sucks up 13 MB, makes no sense considering it shipped standard on systems like this with less than 8 MB stock.

>have a Dell Latitude CPt C400GT with Celeron 400MHz, 64MB RAM and ATI Rage
>no CD-ROM and dying IDE HDD
>used 24x bay CD is $30
>HDDs are even more
Retro stuff is too expensive nowadays, especially when I don't even have much to do with it besides playing few DOS or early windows titles. So the price isn't really justified

$30 isn't really terrible for a significant part as long as the system it's for is worth it. You're going to keep it for a long time and get some use out of it, after all.

But I don't think I'd put $30 into a low-end Celeron notebook when you could just double it and pull a more display and use-worthy high-end model from the same period.

Some retro computers aren't that expensive. My Amiga 500 was about 100 dollars. It really depends on which computer you buy. I agree that it isn't worth it unless you are going to be using it a lot. I sometimes use my Amiga to connect to BBS or play a game here or there.

Does anyone on Sup Forums own a Atari ST or Falcon?
The only retro anons I see here are old PC, Mac, or Amigas. Not even a c64.

Oh, you can choose between traditional Finder and X.
It's like MacOS and UNIX glued together.

So you're probably not screwed unless you want some low level extensions to work.

Maybe it allocates more memory when you have it spare? My system does it too.
Try allocating like 14MB to some application and launching it, does the system task reduce in memory?

>Not even a c64.
Pretty much every pleb here has a C64, no matter what other machines they have.

No one posts them.

I've got a 1040 with an SC124 but I'm not really into it, I don't like GEM that much and need to order some more 3.5'' disks for it. Loads of C64s and some 128s and PETs too.
Good idea, but it doesn't unfortunately. The first thing I tried to do when I got it back up and running was launch Netscape and see if I could get to my personal website with it, by default it tries to allocate 9 MB and it won't even launch, telling me I'm about 2 MB short.
I haven't tried running Mathematica on it again yet, almost afraid to.

SM124, not SC124, fuck.
Guess that demonstrates how often I dust it off.

Probably because it would get really dull really quickly.

That's weird indeed.
How are the cache settings? IIRC increased cache shows up as system used memory.
Else I guess something might have fucked up at some point and you really do need a reinstall.

You always had 16MB in it and never more?

>need more floppies
You could buy a floppy emulator and use a flash drive like I use on my Amiga 500. It is so much more convenient and they cost roughly 40 bucks.

I've got a couple of Atari ST (with and without BL!TTER) and STe

Not as comfy.
On a 500 you could get the cheapest expansion with a CF card and use WHDLoad.

Vampire 500 for the most comfiness

I've been on a waiting list for a long, long time. I want one so I can use WB 3.1 and eventually AGA games, but for now, I must wait a unending wait.

Tower Amiga 1200 or T4000 for extreme comfiness.

Have you considered just getting an Amiga 1200 + something like ACA030, instead?

Should have gotten a A600 with a Vampire 600. Vampire 600 waiting lists where pretty short for a while. No idea about right now.
End result is basically the same but with a smaller footprint.

I hate the SAGA part though. I wish they would make a Vampire without any other expansion than just CPU and memory.

Yesterday I bought a Thinkpad 380D for 15€ and cleaned it entirely, now it's ready for shitposting in the '97. The only disadvantage is the lack of a USB and RJ port.

I could only find one on eBay and it was over priced. I just want a stock A1200.

Vampire might be much faster, though.
My Vampire 600 shows in sysinfo a but more performance than my Phenom II PC with jit WinUAE