Hold the FUCK up...

Hold the FUCK up. You're telling me I could technically store readable data from my computer on a regular audio cassette tape or VHS tape?

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0ZX4426861
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lp0_on_fire
ollydbg.de/Paperbak/
ibm.com/storage/tape
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Williams_tube
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_tube
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

yes

it would be incredibly slow.

>being this new

how old are you? I have my doubts that you are even old enough to be here. You can store data on a piece of fucking paper. what do they teach in schools these days?

Motherfker banks uses tapes to save data/logs cuz its cheaper. Fkin schaub

Well, he's a lot younger than me that's for sure

yea, VHS backup units were around in the early-mid 90's, not terribly common, but they were there
there's also D-VHS, which is an official variant of VHS which uses digital video on S-VHS tapes, which are just higher quality versions of VHS tapes
as for audio cassette, they were the main or at least the cheap option for data storage on early 80's home computers, cheaper than floppies/floppy drives, and a heck of a lot cheaper than a hard disk, if that was even an option

You're a big guy.

I know about tape drives, but I didn't know you could literally use the exact same tapes as audio cassettes I can buy at the dollar store to store computer data.

for you

yes, they use regular music tapes, this made these more accessible and cheaper, plenty of people already owned tapes for listening to music, and blank tapes were cheap because they were used for music and voice recording for a number of years prior, they were probably the cheapest kind of tape a consumer could get, making it a prime candidate for cheap tape data storage

Don't you have to agree to being 18 to get on Sup Forums? Are you a liar? Wouldn't mummy get mad at you for lying just to see those naughty 2D girls?

What did you think the tape in those media was if not generic digital tape?
I can see why maybe somebody would have thought vhs was film instead of tape, but wtf did you think the audio cassette tape was?

People born in 2000 are already enlisted in the military

>digital tape
no such thing. and even if you mean "the same kind of tape used in digital tape formats", even that is arguably wrong, most digital tape formats used higher quality tape types than you regular cheap-ass analog music tapes
old computers got away with it by using slow transfer rates, which was only feasible due to their relatively low memory sizes, and low standards for program loading times (between 15 minutes to load or not at all, people made do with 15 minutes)

God i feel old. You probably can't remember a time before mobile phones or facebook

For you.

You'll be dead soon, old man.

>Don't you have to agree to being 18 to get on Sup Forums?
only if you visit the front page, which isn't required

The rule says this site, which means everything including the front page

You can technically store readable data from your computer on fucking paper. Medium doesn't matter.

>I have my doubts that you are even old enough to be here.
18 years ago was when the first Matrix came out.
The CD was invented 35 years ago.
I'm 29 and I have never once seen a magnetic tape drive.

i know, i'm just saying, the popup on the frontpage can be avoided without going out of your way

>Medium doesn't matter.
It does matter Kenniff. If a means for a computer to read said data doesn't exist then it's not useful.

Really? I'm 36 and when I was a kid they all did. Commodore 64, BBC micro, ZX spectrum etc. You'd literally wait 20 minutes for pacman to load off a tape, then it would usually crash half way though and you'd have to start again! I guess by about 1990 everything was on floppy disc.

not him, but i'm 27, and while i've never used any music tape digital storage system myself, i have an interest in computer history, so i've done research into it and know the basics of it
it's much easier to appreciate what you have when you know what it took to get here

When the Sega MegaCD came out, my mind was blown

Yeah, when I was in school up to like 5th grade all the computers had the 5 inch floppy drives.

I volunteered at a computer repair place for a while and only ever saw one tape drive. It was a fairly modern one that probably got thrown out because the other people there didn't know what it was, in retrospect i should have stolen it.

I was an IT technician a couple of years ago. You'd be suprised how many tape drives are still out there. Loads of companies are still backing up to tape. Banks are still running a lot of ancient 1990s computer hardware in the background.

yeah duh.
I've never really used tapes before because I'm in my early 20s but even I knew that

Why are you so mad? Maybe you should go to bed? It's well pass 9 pm, mister.

>I'm 36

And I'm 32. All the tapes disappeared literally 2-3 years before I got my first PC in '92. People forget (or just don't know) that back in the days computer tech became obsolete in 6-12 months. Progress was fast. Now you can combine a top gpu with 7 year old cpu+ 7 year old ram and you can play the latest games with settings maxed out. An absurd proposition in the 90s.

yes, but you'd need tons of CRC for reliability.

ITT: newfags

I just found myself on TDK's Wikipedia article a few hours ago and apparently they still exist. I still have no clue what they do now

Sometimes I wish we could go back to living in an analog world.

Things were much easier then.

if you still use hdd's, you're still storing data as magnetic fluctuations on a moving magnetic medium

I pulled up in my PORSCHE dude. The 911 is the best car ever made. Nate diaz tried fighting me im like "bro Im wearing GUCCI boots Im not trying to fight"

Jesus grandpa. Didn't you guys have cartridge's by that time?
I remember everything I played game related came off a cartridge.

SSDs
HDDs
DVD/CD
Floppies
Tape
Punch cards
Tubes (???)

Data is data. A 0 and a 1 can be stored on paper, and once upon a time, it literally was.

You could, but you really aren't missing much. 5 minutes to load a text only RPG. Only marginally better than 8" floppy disks. I'm happy to leave them behind

tape backups are still very common.
Especially in universities. You'd be surprised how much all that expensive STEM research goes right into a AS400 with tape backups

>very common
Google uses tape backup. Most large companies do.

There's no cheaper way to store exabytes of data.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0ZX4426861

6 years ago I used to work with a AS400 machine and did daily backups on a 2 or something GB tape. The process took 3 hours because I also had to print some fucking reports and shit.

One time the cassette drive failed, and I had to call the technician, that day I didn't leave until 3am.

Also we had an IBM impact printer which was working since 1982. It caught on fire once. I was the only person around when that happened.

I'm 30, and no one backed up their pc's data on vhs tape or cassette. What are you talking about?

I'd assume OP already knows about regular tape storage, he's surprised by using audio cassettes and VHS tapes for storage.

What strange alternative universe do you come from where we jumped straight from the 1980s to the late 2000s? You're missing about two decades of development.

>hurr durr if you never had an apple ii you must be born in 2000
literally what sort of logic is this

I used to "pirate" songs from the radio recording shit like RHCP and Perl Jam when I was 8-11yo, 25 now.

Did it display this?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lp0_on_fire

>2d girls

not cute fuzzy 2d boys

Well yeah, you wouldn't want to, but yes.

Awe man, you need better friends. I volunteer at the local computer history meuseum. We cleaned out a dead greybeards house who had a trove of crap and a fucking PDP-11 in the basement, with a stack of these bad boys.

Ever play Frisbee with a 50 year old drive cover?

>current year
>not backing up to paper

ollydbg.de/Paperbak/

>Tubes (???)
i don't believe any kind of tube was used for non-volatile memory, but there was a crt-based volatile memory device at one point

How does data stay bit-exact on an analog medium?

do some research into what digital is
protip: all media is analog

The government literally already does something similar to this.

>computer data

>finaly recive computer data through wi-fi cable
>mfw

I used to backup to VHS tape. It was fucking awful. Slow as fuck and unreliable

Back in the sixties, that's all they used, fucking tape. The idea of compact did not exist. If a machine fit in a single room you were lucky. Now that same processing power is held in your phone, hell prob the phone has more power than computers of yore. And yes Tape drives are still common, saw some on ebay for $300-400 used.

That and punch cards

Yo, dawg, we insert punchcard machine in your VHS player, so you can punch vhs tape when you write computer data on dis tape, nigga.

>Back in the sixties, that's all they used, fucking tape. The idea of compact did not exist.
uh, you do realise the compact cassette tape was introduced in 1962, right?

also, a modern smartphone blows the balls off of any 60's mainframe

This is how very very big digital archives are done still today
ibm.com/storage/tape
With new tapes you can reach "only" 360 mB/s but a single tape can hold up to 15 terabytes uncompressed data.

if you want to have some fun, try using mmsstv to record a picture to cassette and retrieving it later.

you could even use a vinyl or snot balls on tissue paper, such is the principle of binary encoding

He's probably talking about Edison (wax) cylinders.

pretty sure those were never used for computer storage, i've never heard of those being called tubes either

Hell, vinyl already did provide an example, and it was the reason RCA went bankrupt.

when was vinyl used for digital computer storage?
the fanciest use i've seen is CED, but that was analog video/audio

Is that milibytes per second? What the fuck?

I put (???) cause I was unsure what it was called. Apparently, it is this:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Williams_tube

What I remember was vacuum tubes for early computers:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_tube
These acted like transistors though, so I was wrong.

yea, williams tube was what i was referring to with crt-based volatile memory

Ideally you'd want a way to write data to said medium as well, though people in the good old days could make do without that luxury as well.