Are Hackintosh a reliable choice nowadays? Do they break after software updates? Is it even legal?

Are Hackintosh a reliable choice nowadays? Do they break after software updates? Is it even legal?

>legal
Not sure, but it is breaking their Eula and Apple wouldn't be happy, but they haven't done anything yet. I did a hackintosh on my Pentium 4 many moons ago and ran Leopard.

macOS runs better than Ubuntu and Arch on my T520, nuff said

yes it's legal. apple doesnt care either. hackintosh is ok imo, stable and nice. minor updates are fine, version upgrades require moving and/or upgrading some kexts

Hackintosh is less stable than FreeBSD, if that gives you an idea. It's not stable and it will never be. Because Apple purposefully blocks users of non crapple hardware to use MacOS.

Actually is illegal in the US because of copyright laws, but is legal on another countries that doesn't have laws about copyright or digital rights (most of them third world countries)

>be American
>bring your Hackintosh to the airport
>get shot

>Sir, I need you to power on your laptop and log in
>Gnome desktop
>"Put your hands on the fucking floor now. You are being detained for copyright infringement."
>Get shot in the back by a junior security officer

If you have a desktop computer with an intel processor yeah, it's alright. On laptops not so.

>run Elementary OS
>go to airport
>clueless mac user reports me to the police because it must be a hackintosh
>get shot

>Do they break after software updates?
If you modify kexts inside S/L/E, yes. It really depends on your hardware.

are you mentally retarded?

>Are Hackintosh a reliable choice nowadays?
Yes, if you pick and choose the components with care.
No, but software updates are much more of a hassle than with normal systems. Especially major updates.
>Is it even legal?
lolAmerica

>copyright laws
I'm not breaking any sort of copyright laws when I install an operating system which I own a license for on a computer which I also own.

>Elementary OS
Deserved it desu

>reliable
Even macOS on macs is not reliable.
> Do they break after software updates?
Yes, the same as on macbooks.
> Is it even legal?
Nobody cares, until you do that for enterprise

The fuck you smoking nia, uptime of my T420 on el crapitan is currently at 32 days

Is it possible to build a cost-competative gaming PC that also runs OSX? (so it's usable when not playing games)

Oh shit, since when does 4chin strip emojis

osx only requires an intel cpu. all nvidia gpus and some amd gpus are compatible. youd also want to check the motherboard

Yes, as long as you use Windows or GNU/Linux when playing games. OS X's performance is horrible by my experience

Yeah, the motherboard is the most sensitive component regarding compatibility, all intel and select few ryzen cpus are plug and play. Gpus are all able to run but amd is more hassle free since applel uses mostly those.

>Are Hackintosh a reliable choice nowadays?
It is on desktops at least. I built a cheap little desktop that dual boots Debian and OS X Sierra. I've been using it since Yosemite was out and it still works alright. I just bought a ThinkPad X230 that I'm going to try to install OS X High Sierra on.

Yeah, sort of. You need to do a fresh install for every major version update, though most smaller security updates won't hurt it. Make a backup with Time Machine before every single update just in case. The easiest way to do major version updates is to write down all of your programs you have installed, then copy your home folder to a different disk. Reinstall any programs that have issues after being copied back to the new install.

>Is it even legal?
No, it's not. Though it would be a massive waste of money to go after a few hobbyists. So as long as you aren't selling laptops with OS X installed or using a hackintosh for business related stuff, you should be fine.