>DE/WM
>Video/Music player
>Image viewer
>File Manager
>Text Editor
>Shell
>Web Browser
>Terminal

Protip: If you aren't comfortable with the terminal or aren't proficient with GNU/Linux this thread isn't for you.

If you use Arch, Manjaro, Ubuntu, Mint , Antergos, Solus, Fedora or any other of the thousands of BLOAT gnu/linux meme distros. Don't bother posting in this thread

Archived Threads:
warosu.org/g/thread/63721226

Other urls found in this thread:

catb.org/~esr/writings/unix-koans/oldhand.html),
libreplanet.org/wiki/List_of_software_that_does_not_respect_the_Free_System_Distribution_Guidelines#chromium-browser
youtube.com/watch?v=Cl8a9b76GMg
troubleshooters.com/linux/diy/suckless_init_on_plop.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=FgbPUuX9IVM
ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/57.0.2/
landley.net/aboriginal/about.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Old thread:

Bump

>OS
Openbsd
>DE/WM
I3
>Video/Music player
mpv
>Image viewer
feh
>File Manager
ranger
>Text Editor
emacs with evil
>Shell
ksh
>Web Browser
dillo and firefox-esr for javascript
>Terminal
urxvt with daemon

comfy so far, definetly a learning experiance going from linux to openbsd but the man pages are really quite good.

Look pals,
>Void Linux
>i3-gasp
>feh
>ranger
>vim
>bash or zsh
>firefox
setup here, but listen.

This minimalism shit doesn't pay off and it doesn't make you more . I have GNOME installed on my machine just for the gdm greeter and a proper settings panel. I need bluetooth to fucking work. I want an easy GUI fallback when something shuts down.

I tried minimalism, it was awful. Your machines probably have 8 or 16 gigs of memory, get with the times.

pic semi-related

arch
dwm
mpv
feh
ranger
vim
zsh
chromium
urxvt

I'd say that minimalism isn't the aim in itself (unless your going with the 'look at my minimalist system aren't I cool' crowd). The idea is that minimalist systems, and systems that conform to the unix philosophy, is that software stability and simplicity follows minimalism. So the system is better because of minimialism.

Pure minimalism is as big of a meme as the suckless people. CLI aren't good for everything: see (catb.org/~esr/writings/unix-koans/oldhand.html), and minimalissm isn't good for everything.

In the end, bloated vs minimal software goes along these lines:"There are two methods in software design. One is to make the program so simple, there are obviously no errors. The other is to make it so complicated, there are no obvious errors."

I had a GUI fallback too when I was feeling unconfident of my skills with the tiling wm. I think I used motif window manager, pretty good, and easy too.

Sad to hear you didn't find an application for bluetooth yet.

I don't think i would ever get into bsd. But i have heard openbsd is pretty damn minimal

Arch
>BLOAT

Zsh is bloat. Use mksh

KindIt works, but not so pretty. I can still type and to everything tho.

Actually that is not right openbsd has a lot of stuff you dont want by default, but is considered secure, or at least that is what the marketing of their developers say.

what's a good keyboard based web browser? decided to drop thunar on my thinkpad for ranger and i'm wondering how i could get used to never leaving the keyboard.

Examples of packages?

I used Uzbl but couldnt post on Sup Forums, maybe newer versions can.

Links, don't know about qutebrowser, It doesn't have ublock.

Whichever window manager they shipped with.

I've been avoiding qutebrowser because it uses the same proprietary library as chromium, and no HTTPS everywhere and umatrix equivalent.

I see.

Thats why i use firefox 57+ and avoid meme browsers

firefox for me was crash and freeze every 5 minutes mcgee. does vimperator work on the latest icecat?

>Arch
>bloated
Why spread lies?

I've been testing netsurf, works ok, is not pretty. I am waiting for Uzbl to be able to post on Sup Forums but couldn't, beyond that not sure. I'll probably use Uzbl once it can post on Sup Forums and netsurf in my server (because framebuffer). Posted from netsurf btw.

Anyone else waiting for netrunner?

Look at the previous 8 fucking threads. Arch is bloat. I can't be fucked. I'm not going to post the copy pasta. If you think arch isn't bloat. Whatever. I feel sorry for every single faggot that fell for the arch meme.

This, so much this.

What distro do you use?

Where can I find decent Openbox themes?

>Look at the previous 8 fucking threads
Well I sure got my answer.

Whats wrong with i3 wm ?

Cherry picking. I love it

Get lost nigger.

And you fucking use GNOME....

Every other post is just "Arch is bloat lel" without an explanation why.

It has a built-in adblocker which works fine for most cases (anything hosted on a third-party host).

>because it uses the same proprietary library as chromium,

Huh? It uses QtWebEngine (which is a heavily stripped down Chromium). Also, how is that proprietary? Also, you can use it with QtWebKit instead.

The size of the iso is 400MB
The size of Debian minimal is 290
Void is about the same.

And why does that even matter? The end result is what matters.

libreplanet.org/wiki/List_of_software_that_does_not_respect_the_Free_System_Distribution_Guidelines#chromium-browser

>It has a built-in adblocker
Nah, i still get ads on youtube and Sup Forums.It can't play youtube videos properly either. But what would i know, last time i used qutebrowser was a year ago.

It's not 400, its half a gig
ISO Size: 516.0 MB. Lmao

Don't talk to this faggot guys. He uses fucking GNOME.

wew

Childish

Either learn or get out.

I just came in here to point out the obvious bullshit in the OP, I don't wank over terminal fonts.

Compiled anti-bullshit Arch explanation:

Arch has never been a minimalist distribution. Splitting packages is rare compared to other distributions, and dependencies aren't made optional whenever possible. Arch has *never* been minimalist... a Linux kernel with every module available and every feature enabled at least when there's no non-bloat related cost, feature-packed/complex GNU tools, nearly all optional features enabled across all the packages, etc.

>pacman is fast but not safe, it tends to break shit and config protection is implemented in a terrible way
>there is no official process to verify that a package is stable within the distro, in other distros a lot of packages are in a testing repo despite that specific package's developer claiming it to be stable on its own, because it might not be stable within the environment of a specific distro
>a lot of AUR packages pull from upstream, which means they could be very unstable
>(arch vs gentoo related) arch users complain about muh compile time when it comes to gentoo, while in fact they compile a lot of AUR packages themselves, namely the *-git packages that pull the source from a git repo
>but it gets even better: they only compile a handful of packages, and those not being libraries mostly, the self-compiled packages get linked against precompiled libraries from a different setup (e.g. different optimization levels), which can then cause even more instability because it's a clusterfuck of unequal shit
>arch uses (((systemd))) and switching to something else is hard
>apparently the vim package on arch pulls in X, so if you want to have a fancy terminal text editor on a headless server, you to install a shit ton of GUI stuff you'll never need nor use
>maintainer told the guy who complained to just symlink vi to vim (vi is inferior)

>apparently the vim package on arch pulls in X, so if you want to have a fancy terminal text editor on a headless server, you to install a shit ton of GUI stuff you'll never need nor use
This one really stood out to be as particularly facetious. This general is a joke.

>general
GNU/Linux minimalism thread

Someone pastebin this lmao

Congrats, the vim problem is finally solved.

saved.
By the way, what does this thread think of Zile?
It's a GNU C toolkit for text editors.
By default it comes with a minimal version of emacs meant for quick edits.
But it also says that there's going to be "Zi, a lightweight vi clone."

Thoughts?

Thread theme:
youtube.com/watch?v=Cl8a9b76GMg

I am waiting for the vi-like Zile myself, I wonder how to script this though.

Why are there only 10 posters in this thread
Feels like im just talking to the same people

That's what I'm waiting for. They say "a lightweight vi clone"
vi is already quite lightweight

how much more lightweight can this get?

ED
hahaha

Fwm is miniscule. It's only a couple mb. You can just uninstall it when you install another wm.

Any more substantial examples?

Vim and ex are from the same binary, that's what I want from Zi. Plus some highlighting and stuff to work on programming I need like ctags.

This has been disputed, especially for QtWebEngine which strips down Chromium a lot - see e.g. issue 1167 in the parabola bugtracker (which I can't link properly because of a stupid spam filter...)

There's GreaseMonkey support since a few days, so that can be used to hide those - still, I agree better adblocking support would be nice.

As for YouTube videos, you'll need to install the matching GStreamer codecs (QtWebKit) or have a QtWebEngine compiled with proprietary codec support, then it'll work just fine (even Widevine works with QtWebEngine, i.e. Netflix/Amazon Prime).

Guys wifi is bloat and vulnerable. Always use ethernet on your laptops and desktops

>>OS
Void Linux
>>DE/WM
XFCE4
>>Video/Music player
vlc
>>Image viewer
feh
>>File Manager
thunar
>>Text Editor
mousepad
>>Shell
bash
>>Web Browser
firefox
>>Terminal
xfce terminal

What is the best systemd alternative, guys?

I don't know but void linux uses runit and it is pretty comfy so far

Use i3 or dwm. Mousepad is gui, bloat. Change your shell. BASH is bloat as well

Use lfs if you are that advanced.

sorry but i am just a normie who uses a mouse 90 percent of time, so nope.

troubleshooters.com/linux/diy/suckless_init_on_plop.htm
I plan to try that just for the lulz.

Yeah ive tried void in the past and I agree.
I haven't had any experience with OpenRC or GNU Shepherd though. how do those compare?

Where is that load comparison of wms?

Here!

>i am just a normie
Normies use systemd. You aren't a normie. Retard

Thank you!

Look at glorious dwm. Not autism minimal, not bloat like i3 either. Just right in the middle

No problem, user. It was through this list that I discovered FrankenWM. It's actually quite good

Long time dwm user
youtube.com/watch?v=FgbPUuX9IVM

Bump

>xfce
bloat
>vlc
bloat
>mousepad
bloat
>bash
bloat
>xfce term
bloat

How did that faggot even wanted to choose void? These guys are such clusterfucks

>OS
Debian Testing
>DE/WM
i3
>Video/Music player
mpv
>Image viewer
feh
>File manager
pcmanfm
>Text Editor
zile
>Shell
mksh
>Browser
Firefox-esr
>Terminal
lxterminal

A little bit of bloat.

>Firefox-esr
that shit is buggy as fuck bro. memory leaks everywhere
just download ff57

ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/57.0.2/

>OS
void
>DE/WM
bspwm
>Video/Music player
mpv/mpd+ncmpcpp
>Image viewer
feh
>File manager
ranger/pcmanfm
>Text Editor
vim/nano
>Shell
bash
>Browser
firefox
>Terminal
rxvt

landley.net/aboriginal/about.html
/thread

>busybox
Dropped.

Network manager is bloat. Use wpa_supplicant

What are your package counts? I'm at 540 on Gentoo.

bamp