Should i wait until OLEDs get cheaper or buy an LCD now? Which one is best sub 1000 bucks?

Should i wait until OLEDs get cheaper or buy an LCD now? Which one is best sub 1000 bucks?

Other urls found in this thread:

i.rtings.com/images/reviews/x930e/x930e-dse-large.jpg
i.rtings.com/images/reviews/p607/p607-dse-large.jpg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

This depends on which one is your hell: screen burnt or backlight leak.

The issue really shouldn't be seen as OLEDs becoming cheaper, but having greater and more consistent longevity among all pixels.
Only buy when the technology is perfected or it will be obsolete after a relatively short while of use.

OLED is a meme, leave it for smartphones
buy LCD VA now, upgrade to microLED in like 7+ years.
I bought 65 inch 4k 10bit TCL for less that a thousand euro (500euro off black friday) and so far I'm really impressed. Android on TV is surprisingly snappy and intuitive too.

LCDs are getting to like $300 for a 46" brand name 1080p. Just buy one and give the middle finger to OLED, quad HD, and every other meme to try and replace 3D tv.

32" oled 4k monitor when? Dell had one but they stopped making it. Seems to have had problems

meme

expound

From what I hear, OLEDs, while nice, only have a lifespan of ~5 years. Not worth investing in until the price is low enough to justify this. If I spent 600 bucks on a 120 hz Sony Bravia LED back in 2013, I can't see spending more than that for an OLED. For TVs, 4k is a meme unless you are extremely close to the screen, so that carries no weight for me. Ditto for smart functionality included, since that shit is so broken and insecure by default that it's worth the extra hundred bucks to get a Roku Ultra, and not worry about it.

what's the least botnet smart tv you can get? sony with android? is it rootable?
or should i just get a tcl and use another source?

I'd pay $1500 for an OLED LG monitor even if it only lasts 5 years.

all androidtvs are rootable

No Smart TVs are botnet until you hook them up to the internet. I see no reason to ever do this, unless functionality is gimped until you get an OTA update. In that scenario, if possible, I'd hook it up via lan line and do the update, and then disconnect it once the update is complete. If it HAS to be done wirelessly, I would change the router password once the update is complete.

It's a shame that manufacturers add "features" that only make their products worse
Just because you would doesn't mean there's currently a market for OLED displays

Their 55" OLED TVs seem to be selling well at that price. But yeah, for monitors it must be a non-existent market.

>It's a shame that manufacturers add "features" that only make their products worse
I don't care that TV manufacturers want to give people the option to pay more for more functionality. What bothers me is that its impossible to get a decently specced TV without also getting all that horseshit that I know that I'll never use.

I mean, I've still got a PS3 from 2006. Even if my Roku breaks, I'll have a good backup for HBO Go, Hulu, Netflix, etc, while I wait for a refurbished Roku Ultra to arrive.

>It's a shame that manufacturers add "features" that only make their products worse
It's funny that you mention this. I really wish I could not just lose smart functionality, but the speakers as well.

There's not a single thin TV that comes with speakers that are worth a shit. Even if I would only save 10 bucks, I'd rather just lose them, as I always use my Sony HTCT 790 soundbar, anyways.

I just want a good looking screen that has a decent refresh rate. HDR in 1080p would be nice, too.

But trying to get a TV with all the features you want, and none you don't, is like trying to buy a truck with all the features you want, and none that you don't, in the color you want. Borderline impossible.

>while I wait for a refurbished Roku Ultra to arrive.
Why? It doesn't even do Dolby Vision.

Neither does my TV. I bought a Roku 3 (without voice) back in 2013 for 65 bucks. It's still getting updates and the like, but I can't imagine it will continue to get them indefinitely so I'll just upgrade to the Ultra, which should be future-proofed for a while. I see no need to upgrade my TV just to get HDR, but even if I did, I feel HDR10 would likely be good enough for me. Plus, I think HDR10+ is coming out pretty soon. Dunno if it will work as an OTA upgrade, but if not, I'm sure that I won't mind buying a new Roku when my old Sony Bravia finally breaks (which shouldn't be for a while, I've got an old Olevia LCD in my bedroom from 2007, and its still going).

Is Hisense a good choice? They seem to offer VA panels cheaper than anyone else, but some people on Amazon reported it turning on blasting Radio at 6 am because of a software bug.

tcl 605/607 are hands down the best right now at 600 and 650$ with the only things better costing 1300$+ and even then its just matching quality till you are over 2000$

however if you can wait, wait for hdmi 2.1, these panels they have in the tvs are fucking amazing, but they are crippled by bandwidth.

only buy tech once it's matured enough, fucking nothing is ever perfected, its more a cost benefit analysis, can you deal with X flaws?

for me I can't deal with shit contrast and I can't deal with burn in, so a good va is the solution,

I like actual blacks, but can't deal with oled burn in, so I have to go with a good full array implementation

so on so forth till you find what's perfect, and as far as I can tell, tcl 605 is possibly the best for pc monitor you can get in a tv, with everything else falling short in either burn in or adding lag.

I would probably upgrade when a good 4k 120hz with adaptive sync comes along, maybe next year for high end, 2 years for mid range as many high end panels are already 120hz and 10bit but held back by bandwidth.

old oleds had a 5 year life span on the blues, no idea about current ones.

I just want a display, let me plug shit in with no processing or as little as possible that's able to be turned off and i'm good, but they refuse to even put a mode like this into tvs.

I'll stick with my 1080P 65" samsung smart tv. Sucker displays very nice picture and is perfect size for my living room. No point to go beyond 65" cause my living room ain't gonna grow in size at all. By the time it dies they'll be touting 8K/10K displays. Who knows maybe by then they'll be able to cram 200GB on a blu-ray or similar disc.

As long as whatever TV I get next has Component/HDMI (that is 100% backwards compatible to Gen 1 HDMI) then it's all good. Pretty confident it will cause hell TV's now still have Coax/Composite and that port (s) been there since the 80's

TCL P series have shit screen uniformity which makes watching anime awful.

Is there a way to turn this "smart" adware shit off, or are all new TVs cucked like this?

agreed anything over that, just buy a projector and a cheap 120" pull down screen for movie nights

Don't fucking connect it to the internet. I don't see what you're so upset about.

Are there any UHD TVs that don't connect to the internet?

just don't type in your wifi password?

I don't want my TV to be a bloated piece of shit

What's the difference between OLED and QLED?

QLED is a marketing scam by Samsung to try to trick dumb normies into thinking a standard VA LCD display is OLED.

What the fuck does that even mean you fucking idiot?

Ah thought so

there's actually a point to it since you get actually get white backlight instead of yellow phosphor coated blue leds that might degrade over time and give a blue tint

actually uniformity is fairly good and only gets better when you add in the local dimming as that is actually fast enough to not be a detriment, so that handles the edges, in dark scenes, in grey there are issues with the absolute edges, looking at a bright screen straight on, there is no noticeable problem even knowing exactly what to look for.

even looking at it in stores, I know exactly what is the problem areas, and I can't fucking see it. and these are flat color demonstrations, where a good 1/3 the screen is a flat color. just tested my monitor with grey and looking for uniformity, the top and left edge are particularly bad, and let me load an anime up

720p anime- the left edge is not a problem because most of what I have seen in recent years has slight gradients, and a 4:3 anime to get the top has very little issue either, even with the slight burn in thanks to years of chrome tabs.

basicly the absolute bottom and top are the worst lit, which is next to un noticeable, any bad lighting in a large same color could likely be dealt with using local dimming.

What you have to understand is grey uniformity is next to impossible even on oleds, and the next highest rated tv, i.rtings.com/images/reviews/x930e/x930e-dse-large.jpg
i.rtings.com/images/reviews/p607/p607-dse-large.jpg

rates 1.3 points higher, when they are nearly as bad as eachother, but the tcl costs 600 while the sony costs 1900

sure, an oled rates 8.5, if that tells you how insurmountable the test really is if even the best we fucking got cant get a 10/10

image processing, shit ads fuckloads of input lag, and for the most part can not be disabled.

You can get a OLED for $500 more after credit card price protection. It's not worth it to suffer from shitty uniformity. It's especially awful in dark scenes. Now that you admitted you don't actually own this I know you're talking bullshit. I had one, and it's a decent TV for most other things, but terrible for anime. The DSE can easily be seen during any panning scene.

>image processing
Turn on game mode, though you're probably bullshitting about MUH PURITY and in a blind test you would most likely pick the picture with image processing anyway.

>shit ads
No ads at all. IR codes can directly switch HDMI inputs so you don't ever need to use the interface other than to change picture settings.

>fuckloads of input lag
15ms of input lag which is on par with a normal monitor.

the tcl is a christmas present to myself to replace my syncmaster t240hd, stood in front of this panel and was allowed to test it on my own enough to green light the purchase, beats out what i'm using in every way.

game mode doesn't disable everything in most tvs still pushing response times over 50ms,

a normal monitor... no, tcl is right now the only tv that gets in the 15 ms range for under 1000$ even with game mode, most hover in the 30-40ms range in this price range, and quite a few sacrifice 4:4:4 or hdr to get game mode going. you may be able to get as cheap a tv in this range with as low as monitors for lag (most monitors get 9-11ms lag, but still close enough)but you are looking at old models that were high end, and hoping someone is selling used or very old stock at that point.

They are utter shit
>I own an appliance and electronics repair shop.

My understanding is samsun did something with the panel that allows it higher highs and lower lows compared to other methods, and stuck qled on it, I mean sure, its technically marketing fluf, but any panel they put that name on does have the same shit behind it making it stand out even next to other vs panels.

Their high end stuff is really good high end, but their low end stuff is just better then name brand low end, they aren't pushing a statement piece, tcl is though, remember viewsonic when they wanted to get into america and sold amazing shit for low prices to build a name? that's what tcl is doing now.

the problem with that is projectors are shit, and expensive as fuck, with good ones costing more then the tv's you would likely be getting in the size you want, the only reason to get a projector is because they don't make a tv that big/you want something 90+ inches.