/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

complyfoam.com/Compatibility
clarityfidelity.blogspot.com/2015/10/lg-quadbeat-3-tuned-by-akg-iem.html
clarityfidelity.blogspot.com/2017/02/sony-mdr-z1r-over-ear-headphones.html
nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/headphone-amp-impedance.html
nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/headphone-impedance-explained.html
rbt.asia/g/thread/63763666/
discord.gg/y9Tm9sE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

penguin girl the comeback

Penguin /hpg/ is best /hpg/.

Penguin poster is my favourite

Here's a list of what comply series tips fit which IEM models: complyfoam.com/Compatibility

I love my ER4SR

Idol trash here.
What's your HD600 like, user?

LICK HER PENGUIN POOPER

What are the current best budget IEM's?

The ZS5's were highly rated, but then they changed the design or something and they went to shit. My budget is around $40 max and I've previously owned Piston 2's, which I really liked.

>What are the current best budget IEM's?

clarityfidelity.blogspot.com/2015/10/lg-quadbeat-3-tuned-by-akg-iem.html

LG QuadBeat 3 Tuned by AKG.

other KZ models are pretty decent I've heard

>they still go for up to 300€ on ebay

keep or sell
i got them for free so eh

This came in the mail yesterday but I'm trying it right now and I gotta say I'm disappointed. They sound thin as fuck and there's a dip at ~250Hz. I think the old 280 Pro which I had sounded better going by memory. These seem more neutral overall but I can't get over their thin and nasal sound signature.

So everyone seems to be bashing the MDR z1r. I gave them an audition and found them to be fantastic. Really smooth and refined sound and excellent bass tight and controlled with good impact. Might be the upgrade I'm looking at from HD600s. The 800 and 800s I didn't like nearly as much.

>MDR z1r
Hmm...

clarityfidelity.blogspot.com/2017/02/sony-mdr-z1r-over-ear-headphones.html

It gets better when used to it, but it really is underwhelming.
That's why I'm watching msr7 for sale prices.

It's strange how they don't measure well at all. Looking at the graph I wouldn't think I'd like them at all. I defiantly preferred them to the other closed back flagship th900. The whole headfi thread is a fucking shitstorm and there are a lot of contradictory measurements.

I've been searching for good closed headphones that I can buy brand new but it seems like an impossible task. I didn't like the MSR7 for sound and comfort oddly.

Thanks for the penguin again. I love her.

Now read up on the atticus and how people prefer it to the z1r

>atticus

The FR looks pretty smooth to me. What issue did you find with it sound-wise?
I'm looking at it as it seems to be the one audio-technica option that's not too riced. They particularly seem to like doing the niggerbass thing. I've used my HD380 Pro at work for two years, and they can be pleasant at times, but they feel overall like too much of a downgrade from the HD600 I use at home.

Why is the z1r such a polarising headphone people either seem to love it or completely loathe it.

They were bright, there are a few graphs which show this, but some don't which is quite strange.

Comfort wise, the headband seemed to be uncomfortable at how it distributed pressure on my skull.

DT250 is the best closed headphone that I've heard but every new pair that I buy ends up flawed in channel balance. I get by with an Oppo PM-3 these days but I'm tired with its boosted bass.

I think it has to do with the Sony branding.

The ES series of speakers were top of the line designs back in the day and so are the newer iterations. measured amazing. The biggest issue was the Sony branding. Sony low end stuff is a complete dumpster fire, and even when they make good products the stigma of the brand sticks. The receivers they make for the big box stores are fucking awful.

It's probably why the ma900 is so controversial to headphonefags.

It just has a wonky FR in a way which makes things sound tonally off. It's also very bassy and not neutral. The atticus does the warm sound but gets it tonally correct. Go read atticus/eikon reviews and then buy one. You'll love them

Sony is great but they always manage to fuck something up with a glaring flaw in an otherwise solid headphone. That or they discontinue it like the r10 and ma900

>They were bright, there are a few graphs which show this, but some don't which is quite strange.
It seemed slightly bright, but not beyer bright, in FR plots. I'm thinking it won't hurt to try something a little brighter for a chance.

Tfw no penguin feet

Sony hasn't made a good headphone since their MDR-7506.

The availability in Australia is limited and if I import them I'll be taxed heavily. Will end up costing more than the z1r. The z1r will cost me 1788 AUD the Atticus are 1299 USD. Convert the currency add GST to that and add further import charges im gonna get ass raped.

>mdr-7506
>good
Good joke, user
Disclaimer: I own them.

I need a new pair of speakers, by budget is 3-4k USD

I just calcd it and it will end up costing me 2.2k AUD by the time it gets to my door lol...

Atticus is $999 and ~$850 if you want to go bstock

Just buy a $20 TH02, better than the Atticus.

Honestly I would ask zach over email if he's got any dealers in australia.

I got a pair of sennheiser hd 579 and i don't like them. They feel cheap as shit. I always wanted sennheisers in this style. I guess I fell for the meme. I feel like if i lie in bed with these on and roll over the plastic will break all to shit.

lose some weight

buy headphones

>They feel cheap as shit.
They're actually well-built. They only feel cheap as shit.
>I don't like them.
Is your issue with the sound? Are you using an amp? If not, try them on your smartphone. If they sound very different, your computer or whatever source has too high an output impedance.

I bought the Superlux HD-681 Evo. Is It good?

Try bending them, the HD5xx features very flexible plastic.

Sasuga Sennheiser, the best headphone manufacturer who not only makes the best sounding headphones but the most durable headphones.

Not all plastic is created equal, and look and feel can be deceiving. You can do this to your HD579, so you have no reason to worry.

>Atticus
No.
>too high an output impedance
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

What are the second best headphones behind the HD600?

He's not wrong about the impedance. HD579 need a low output impedance source for optimal performance.

im not worried about the head strap part i am worried about the area where they slide up and down to adjust fit and especillay the thin small piece of plastic that attaches them to the headstrap.

I know there are anons in /hpg/ who still have their old HD555s, which are old-ass headphones, meaning 5+ years old probably, and built with a near identical design to your HD579, but with inferior, less flexible plastic, so just treat your shit like an adult and you won't break it.

well /hpg/ I'm happy to report the T50RP MK3s live up to the hype

anyone interested in a relative newfag's review of them

why the fuck would wear headphones like this in bed anyway?

I wear headphone in bed while watching movies or tv in my bedroom m8.

Then why my 32 ohm headphone benefits from amp?

Penguin /hpg/s > footfag /hpg/s.

Holy shit the laziness.

Could be many reasons. For one, the lower impedance your headphones are, the more likely it is that they can benefit from a low output impedance source. See:
nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/headphone-amp-impedance.html
nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/headphone-impedance-explained.html

What? Lying down and standing is better for you than sitting in your chair all day.

rbt.asia/g/thread/63763666/
ZMF shilled got banned two threads ago for shitposting. Look at how many posts got deleted.

HE NEED SOME MILK

atleast find a pic with feet shown you fag

>nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/headphone-amp-impedance.html
>All you really need to know is most headphones work best when the output impedance is less than 1/8th the headphone impedance.
Divide 579's impedance by 8 and you get much higher impedance, than, say, O2 amp.

need headphone amp tnks...

What's your headphone? O2 on massdrop will probably suit you.

discord.gg/y9Tm9sE

The worst is that the headphone's impedance isn't stable, there's two peaks at 100Hz and near the top end.
What happens in practice is that these frequencies get boosted, as the ratio of impedance is much higher at them.
These boosts would make the HD579 sound much worse.
Many amps like the Magni 3 have less than 1 ohm impedance, making them suitable for all sorts of headphones, rather than only the few with very high impedance.

>massdrop
what kind of weird ass site is that

recommend me an amp for my hd660s.
budget 400€

>guy puts up plans for free
>kikes start selling it for like 250 bucks

shan't be supporting this jewry

buy a board and the components and build it yourself for ~$60

What’s a dac and do I need one

If you come on source and she hiss, you may want to get a DAC. If not, fuggedaboutit.

What were you expecting, to have companies give out free amp+DAC combos because the design is available?

Modmic or vmoda with the mod for the HD598? I'm asking in terms of which is less annoying: two cables or a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter that might break the signal if it's constructed badly or all connections aren't perfect

Massdrop minimic

Bought Audiotechnica m50x, really happy with them so far. Comfy af

Save yourself the trouble and get a usb desktop mic.
They do sound better, too.

>dipolartalkingaboutdicks.png
Sell, they're Beyer so they're almost assuredly shit.

>tfw still using HD555 which I bought in fucking 2008
Did the foam mod and had to fix the headband with some tape.
I'm thinking of buying HD650 (the 6xx variant on sale at Massdrop at the moment). Is that a worthwhile upgrade?

Well, they're here. Let's see if they perform as that one user suggested. These are the same as the BGVP or whatever, just with different colors.

Granted that you can only give initial impressions tonight, be sure to let us know what you think once you've been listening to them for a week or two.

Lots of tips.
For sure dude. I'll do some comparison with the TFZ exclusive 1 i have as well.

I live in Australia.

Cool. I hope that you end up liking them, my dude!

tyll is fat and you're all probably fat too

he has a fucking double chin that would clap along to the bass if hd600 had any

headphones don't matter at this weight honey you've got diabetes

buy closed and go outside orca whale

can i make my ath m40x wireless

Got scissors? Nah, what are you looking to connect them to? Pretty sure that there are a number of Bluetooth adapters out there, or if you use a DAP, then you can connect them to your preferred source via WiFi or BT to make it kinda wireless I guess? I don't know, I like wires...but I'd like to help.

looking to connect em to my headphone jack on my phone to use in the gym
the cable is kinda long i wouldnt know where to put it
dont want it to distract me when heavy lifting

I'd like to get a set of bluetooth in-ear headphones for ~$50 that aren't complete dogshit.
Is it possible?

ZMF shill is arguably the worst shitposter in this thread and his 'no headphone user' crusade has make these threads a shitshow. I'm glad he got what he deserved. He seems back since I've noticed minor Atticus shilling in this thread but he's quite tame, I hope he stays so.

Subjective impressions:
These are bright IEMs. Can be very harsh/sibilant with idol music. Not KZ levels of earrape but there's a fair bit of treble involved. Changing eartips doesn't really help. I find the smallest black eartips the most comfortable. Bass is boosted quite a bit but doesn't muddy up the midrange all that much. After equalization they sound quite good. There is not much difficulty in identifying and fixing the treble peak.

Objective impressions:
Large treble spike at 5-6Khz. Otherwise FR seems relatively flat. A result of the crossover between the two drivers perhaps. After correcting about 12dB, these sound quite good. Adjusting bass is optional, as it extends very low and it isn't boosted to unreasonable levels.

All in all, better than most $20 IEMs I've tried (KZ ZS5, ZST, ZS6) which were all much much harder to EQ. I still prefer the sound and fit of the TFZ Exclusive 1 but those are more than double the price and also require a fair bit more EQ and are probably a bit worse out of the box. I'll do some more tweaking with EQ and see if I can improve them any more.

Post your headphones.

what version of the O2 should i get for use with the OL DAC + 6XX? and is it better to keep it at low gain or high?

Upgrade path from gr07? No ety microphonics please.

Budget? Preferred sound signature?

$500, gentle v

>he wants to spend $500 on inaccurate headphones

Echobox Nomad. U more than a V, but gentle nonetheless. Currently on sale for $249 and, even though it says "Pre-order", is actually in stock and will ship within a day or two. You can try the code "UPGRADEMYSOUND" at checkout, which may still net you another 5% off.

DT1770

I'll check it out. You know the guys who run the company or something?