Dell XPS 13 or Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon. Which one is better?

Dell XPS 13 or Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon. Which one is better?

the smaller one

Thinkpad.

Thinkpad. No contest.

Thinkpad of course

X1

XPS 15

I really like the small bezels on the XPS line

XPS 13 with i5-8250U
>amazing battery life
>a fucking 3.4GHz quad core
>InfinityMeme is actually really nice
>tiny but acceptable keyboard
t. shitposting on one rn, gonna install Gentoo soon

>consumer trash or consumer trash disguised as "business class"

Dell, not even close

Thinkpad T430

Either one is pretty good user

I'm looking to edit 2-3 minute videos(720p/1080p) and write papers with it, watch YouTube,
etc. Which one would be ideal?

My work bought me an XPS 13. It's surprisingly nice, especially when paired with the Thunderbolt docking station.

X1 if you want that 007 feel. Xps if you want that MacBook-but-no-homo feel.

>thinkpad
>007 feel
Nigga wut? Thinkpads look outdated. The design hasnt changed much.

Why would anybody want that Thinktrash, it literally looks like AIDS

It's literally what size display do you prefer: 13" or 14". Otherwise, I wouldn't get too hung up about it.

I don't care about the aesthetic. I care about the functionality. That's mainly why I'm asking.

What functionality does the Thinkpad have over the Dell?

clit mouse

Can you clean the fan on these laptops. You know when laptops get dirty and such

Im thinking about buying a 3rd gen x1 carbon for about 300. Would this be a bad idea?

Ah right, well not buying a laptop for a clit mouse so will probably just go for the XPS.

Know who else has aids?
Yo mom after seeing you

Be careful if you get the 4K model. For some reason, most 4K laptops I've used have had lag up the wazoo. I might just be unlucky, though.

fucking kek, never heard of it being referred to as that

My 4k XPS 15 9560 is smooth as butter

X1 carbon outdated? Only if you are one of those rounded edges loving macfags stuck in 2006

>thinkpads look outdated
>only if your stuck in 2006
Nigga wut?

4 times better build quality. Best laptop keyboard on the laptop market that isnt mechanichal. Plus It has the trackpoint if you need to type a lot. The xps looks and feels quite cheaper than the X1 in real life

Dell xps screen is pretty amazing tho. Not so much on the x1

>4 times better build quality
[citation needed]
>Best laptop keyboard on the laptop market that isnt mechanichal
[citation needed]

Dell has really stepped up their game with their XPS and Precision lines, they're very very well built.

Thinkpads are memes, so XPS.

X1 has the best keyboard of any ultrameme and the goat pointing device
also convertible if you want one

All ultra-thins are ultra shit.

and more ports

>4K on a sub 17" laptop
Biggest fucking meme ever. Using a 15" laptop or lower at 1920x1080 with 100% scaling is already at the limit of readability

Will the Lenovo work for light video editing?

I used to think like this, but after getting a Chromebook Pixel the difference is fucking blinding. With scaling, everything is insanely crisp and clear, it's incredible.

Get the Dell. Dell has better support

What isn't consumer trash then user

>XPS and X1
>not precision and P51

You're a blind idiot or have never used one.

When will the QHD screen equipped models go down in price?

>i5-xxxxu
>good performance
Pick one

How cheap can you get one of those, or should I just go for a 7th gen version if I don't want to spend over ~$700?

>got XPS13 9350 and X240
>XPS13 has superior monitor and lighter
>X240 has superior keyboard and batt life

That's it

XPS13 owner here, it sucks.
>thunderbolt uses 2 pcie lanes instead of 4 so its neutered if you ever want to hook up something like an external gpu
>super picky about usbc to hdmi converters
>webcam is stupidly placed (minor nitpick if you use it)
>wifi card is TRASH (killer ac), horrible disconnects and previous drivers have caused bluescreens and bootloops
>windows 10 and dell software/firmware/whatever is TRASH:
>connected standby issues: sleep doesn't work/is unreliable, music wont play when the laptop screen goes blank
>driver updates mean you could get fucked with crappy wifi drivers randomly

I hear its a great Ubuntu machine though.

Design hasn't changed since Gen 1, what the fuck are you smoking? Because, share you bastard.

More ports and better keyboard

Bigger screen

Dell has more battery life though

Can confirm. Have the developer edition, and it's fantastic for Linux.

I had wifi issues myself at first, but after I installed that driver from one of their forum posts, it seems to have gone away.

I got this thing for a real good price (500 bucks) since my brother-in-law works for Dell and was able to hook me up with a killer discount. I think my biggest problem with it is the keyboard, honestly. All laptop keyboards suck ass, of course, but this one feels a bit more flat than usual. I just wish I could rest my hands on the keys and type rather than poke at the keys.

Ok buyer's remorse fag, keep trying to justify your meme laptop

this

if you want a two in one thinkpad go for the 460 yoga desu, its a bit thicker than the carbon but allows for m.2 and a hdd

the dell. fucking ugly x1

>with 100% scaling
Then use moar

That's my point though, what's the point in having a higher pixel count if you were already using scaling at 1920x1080?

XPS 13. It's the best laptop on the market and doesn't come with chink spyware preinstalled.

That one have 4 physical core

>13 in'

>The xps looks and feels quite cheaper than the X1 in real life

this

I wanted to get xp13 went to store and was dumbfounded how bad the quality was

Gonna just wait for next year's thinkpads to come out with that sweet new gen intel cpus

Prestigio Smartbook 133s

>webcam is stupidly placed
this is true, thankfully, I rarely use it.

>wifi card is trash
not on Ubuntu 16.04

>sleep doesn't work
it does on Ubuntu 16.04

>driver updates mean you could get fucked with crappy drivers randomly
no such thing on Ubuntu 16.04

>I hear its a great Ubuntu machine though
correct

Stop using Windows

there's no fucking difference in the functionality. they are both windows laptops fucking retard

XPS obviously

chinese botnet

>Which one is better?
>both come with Windows
>55 posters, 67 replies

Correction: stop using w10

Been running w8.1 for nearly two years now with zero problems
Programming, bingewatching and image editing are all comfy af on this thing also
>dat battery life

No need to be a cunt. I meant to say I don't care how it looks but rather how well it performs

The one with a trackpoint, obviously

dude, you're getting a dell!

I can put virtually any OS. I want to know which one is better for light video editing as well as writing, watching videos, etc. Hardware wise.

>you can't reinstall OS once it was installed by manufacturer

Why?

I feel sorry for how autistic you are

I'm using an XPS 13 QHD right now. My main gripes:
>keyboard isn't great
>trackpad is awful
>coil while is very audible
>built in speakers sound like trash
>screen doesn't get that bright

Otherwise it's alright I guess. I think I'd have shopped around more had I known though.

Oh and I forgot
>that
>fucking
>webcam

because lenovo releases get worse and worse every year. these pseudo macbook airs are not real thinkpads, and at least dell is engaging in brand necrophilia, and has better screens
the only thing missing is the trackpoint, but i think latitudes have them too

I have a 1080p laptop and a 4k laptop. The 4k is hands down better looking. Why are you shitposting? Are you just a jealous poorfag trying to make yourself feel better about not being able to afford one?

You don't get it, do you? You PAY for Windows whether you need it or not, literally life-supporting that shit.

So, you can't install Linux or downgrade? Even if I have the ISO and the product key?

I have a QHD XPS13 from 2015, but it's not worth it because of the tiny ass screen imo. I would go with 1080p with matte screen, the battery will last longer and you save a few bucks. Maybe QHD would be nice to have on XPS15, dunno

XPS 15 is way better

You don't, actually. The XPS 13 has a developer edition with Ubuntu 16.04 pre-installed. It remains around the same price as the regular edition, but instead of paying for Windows the Developer edition comes with a better CPU instead.

XPS 13 hands down.

I don't get the coil whine problem on mine, are you on the latest model? My only regret was getting the QHD desu, the glossy screen just isn't as good as the matte screen, and unless I'm on Unity the high DPI scaling isn't too good.

why?

I prefer matte too. But the sharper picture and better colors are worth it imo. I have the 9560 btw.

My friend bought an XPS 13, and he loves it. I bought an X1 Carbon and I love it. I think you'll be happy with either machine honestly.

Sold my XPS 13 9360, keyboard is trash, even had to send it back for them to fix the space bar which did not function at all when I first received it. Replaced it with an X220t. You might want to look at the t460p, it has more of what you are looking for.

Also the fucking coil whine under load and the fact that the fan doesn't kick in till 90C. Because of this, it throttles under load due to inadequate thermal dissipation design.

Does the battery life suck? I keep on seeing it only gets 2-3 hrs.

What's the battery life like?

the cabrones

I always go by notebookcheck for battery tests.

>you know who else has aids?
>your mom after being with me

Does it have that annoying screen dimming bullshit dell decided should be included in every one of their laptops?

Thinkpad because it's the only laptop with a good keyboard these days