Any good operating systems that aren't Windows/Mac/Linux based?

Any good operating systems that aren't Windows/Mac/Linux based?

ReactOS looks promising if it ever leaves alpha.

Other urls found in this thread:

openbsd.org
hardenedbsd.org/
trueos.org
ghostbsd.org/
youtu.be/wTVfAMRj-7E
youtube.com/watch?v=Obd3L_BWEFY
muen.sk/
scs.stanford.edu/histar/
freedos.org/
freevms.net/
capros.org/
kolibrios.org/en/
github.com/0intro/plan9-gpl
reactos.org/
jnode.org/
gnu.org/software/hurd/
archhurd.org/
wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU/Hurd
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

See how long you can use haiku before you commit suicide.

bsd

9front

if you don't want Linux then your choice is pretty much one of the BSDs. What do you object to with Linux anyway?

Nothing. I just want to know what my options are.

Your option right now is to drop down on your knees and suck my dick

I'd prefer not to.

Redox is pretty sick but it's just one of those proof of concept things to show Rust's superiority.

That's not an option

I think this is what he meant by "mac" based. No Unix bud

What kind of systems are you looking for? There's a lot of operating systems out there to tinker with, but are you looking for stuff with a unique GUI? I find those to be the most entertaining.

Here's a few of my favorite GUI operating systems:

>OPENSTEP/GNUSTEP
Or whatever it's called now, it's basically an open source version of NeXTSTEP, which is what a lot of modern OS X is based on.
>Classic MacOS
I know you said no Mac stuff, but classic MacOS is pretty cool and you can run it easily and smoothly on any modern x86 machine using SheepShaver. SheepShaver works best on Windows but also works well on OS X and Debian on nearly any Intel platform, so that's fun.
>Solaris
The older Solaris versions can be fun to screw around with. The x86 version works alright in VirtualBox and the SPARC version works really well in QEMU, though it's kind of bitch to install if you haven't done it before. CDE is a pretty neat graphical environment, and IIRC it was dropped after Solaris version 10 in favor of some Java trash that looks like ass.
>HaikuOS
It's an open source clone of BeOS, similar to how ReactOS is an open source clone of Windows. It's super easy to install and the community is really nice. The graphical environment is pretty decent once you get used to it. It can have stability issues here and there so right now it's only a hobbyist OS.
>TempleOS
You'll either love it or hate it. Still worth a look.

cont.

>IBM OS/2
It's mostly used in CNC equipment and ATMs but at one point it was supposed to be a desktop OS but that never really worked out so well. Warp 4 runs best in VirtualBox. It also includes a Windows 3.1 virtual machine built in and can run 16 and 32 bit Windows programs, and I think a bunch of MS-DOS stuff too. There's also an updated version called Arca Noae or something like that but it costs like $100 for the home version.
>Oberon
It's pretty fucking obscure and archaic and I don't know what the hell anyone would use it for but it's open source and worth a look. It dates back to the late 80s.
>Windows 2000
Another exception. There's a Japanese NEET writing kernel extensions for it. Might be cool to look into, and you might be able to install it on a bunch of newer Intel hardware (like 2004 or 05 era).
>RISC OS
Doesn't run on x86 but it works on Raspberry Pi computers.
>MorphOS
Again, won't work on x86. It runs well on a lot of old PPC Macs though.
>IRIX
It was made by SGI for really high end MIPS workstations in the 90s that cost as much as a small house. You can buy them for a few hundred dolans on ebay. Unfortunately, due to the massive amount of custom and undocumented parts in these machines, there isn't any way to emulate this OS to the point where you can boot to a desktop (mostly because of the graphics hardware and software fuckery). There is a port of the graphical desktop called MaXX Interactive Desktop that can be installed on Fedora GNU/Linux, but it lacks a lot of features and the dev takes weeks to respond on the forum.

this desu, plan 9 is super comfy

>fpbp
also, more specifically:
openbsd.org
hardenedbsd.org/
trueos.org
ghostbsd.org/

>What do you object to with Linux anyway?
Not OP, but pretty much everything stated here:
youtu.be/wTVfAMRj-7E

My own OS. And no you can't have it.

>4 hours
be more specific mang

can't, there's just too much shit that's fucked with Linux internally, and that's already the cliff notes version.

in that case you could argue that reactos is windows based, thus defeating the entire point of this thread.

and as far as I'm aware besides some SUPER obscure OSes, your only choices for "not UNIX" and "not Windows NT" would be:

- the amiga derivatives
- minix
????

that guy in the office makes me think of this
youtube.com/watch?v=Obd3L_BWEFY

MenuetOS and KolibriOS are also novelty OS you can have a look. But for serious use, windows, mac, gnu/linux and bsd are your options.

Friendly reminder that Linux is just the kernel. Other kernels under GPL are:
The Muen Separation Kernel muen.sk/
and HiStar scs.stanford.edu/histar/

Operating Systems under GPL are:
FreeDOS freedos.org/
FreeVMS freevms.net/
CapROS capros.org/
KolibriOS kolibrios.org/en/
Plan 9 github.com/0intro/plan9-gpl
ReactOS reactos.org/
JNode jnode.org/

Special mention to GNU/Hurd gnu.org/software/hurd/
Arch Hurd archhurd.org/
Debian GNU/Hurd wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU/Hurd

Use debian net iso.

Anyways, openbsd.

AROS, AmigaOS

OpenVMS, but you'll need VAX/Alpha/Itanium unless the x64 port is done.

FreeVMS > OpenVMS

Smelly.

The only really modern and consumer-usable one I can think of is BBOS 10, but that's been discontinued.

Outside of specific IT companies and large organisations, what are some things it does well that would interest individuals, small businesses, associations, or even far-fetched stuff like criminal or revolutionary groups?

I've been curious about it for a while, but I don't know what, if anything, would be worthwhile learning.

Versioning filesystems and uptime measured in decades?

ArcaOS (Modern OS/2, low system requirements)
QNX (UNIX-Like RTOS)

Not OP but any other interesting projects?

Reactos is a NT descendant though.

Also, I suppose you mean desktop/general OSes? Since there are literally hundreds of specialized non-desktop ones which aren't UNIX-like of NT-like. QNX is surprisingly good among these, however its userland vaguely resembles a typical unix-like userland so some call it an unix-like OS. Haiku is also breddy good.

LITERALLY WUT

HOW DUMB ARE YOU

>Versioning filesystems
Hmm, maybe.

>uptime measured in decades
Meh...

No one said Unix wasnt allowed. You were replying to a complete fool

Ive heard great things about TempleOS

THIS OP

I LOVE TEMPLE OS

IT'S THE GREATEST EVER

there's also redoxOS, but that's written in rust
I'm sure there's a OS writen in go too

BeOS and HaikuOS aren't Unix-like at all and they aren't related to classic MacOS or OS X at all. Besides, OS X isn't even Unix-like. It's a dumpster fire made out of the corpse of NeXTSTEP, scraps and bits of FreeBSD/OpenBSD, and the sloppy seconds of GNU. It's not even fully POSIX compliant despite the certs because incompetent Applel numales have been breaking shit for years and years *cough cough* poll() *cough*

>Reactos is a NT descendant
Not really. It's an NT clone. Their team has had to be extremely careful not to directly use any of Microsoft's code, even though a bunch of the source code for an older version of NT was leaked a while ago and I'm sure they studied it extensively. Basically, they've been reverse engineering Windows and NT and doing a rewrite from scratch.

>It's an NT clone.
Well, yeah. It's still "almost Windows" though, I thought that OP was asking for something substantially different.

OP will take what he gets because he's a fucking faggot.

I donated to reactOS, and that's the only thing i've donated to in my entire life
i want to use Windows but i hate microsoft

>Using a meme OS unironically

>even though a bunch of the source code for an older version of NT was leaked a while ago and I'm sure they studied it extensively.
Nope, anyone who even looked at it had to be dropped from the project. The potential gains from looking at it are not worth the unholy shitstorm MS would bring down upon them.

We just need more applications and is the comfiest OS.

you don't have to like microsoft to use windows

>Redox
Development is pretty fast though.

Since they moved the project to Github progress has picked up.

They also have tightened their efforts with WINE and both the WINE project and ReactOS are now recieving funding too which is promising.

I wish fsf/gnu would gather funding for GNU/Hurd.
Maybe effort will pick up again one day.
I've seen projects that are 10-15 years old without updates that get forked or picked up again.
That's the beauty of FOSS.
There's always some hope of revival compared to proprietary binaries.

H A I K U
A
I
K
U

>Another exception. There's a Japanese NEET writing kernel extensions for it. Might be cool to look into, and you might be able to install it on a bunch of newer Intel hardware (like 2004 or 05 era).
Someone should give that guy a medal.

>Linux still doesn't have a GUI this good

just imagine a windows made by users, completely free and secure, with a coherent UI and more options for customization. I want to believe.

plan 9
it's better than unix; can IRC and has semi functional browsers
9front's author runs it on his thinkpad
it even has wireless support

What are some good plan9 forks?

gahnoo+hurd development is not dead, thank god. Slow as fuck, but it's ongoing and based Debian people keep a "usable" gnu+hurd distroin shape.

the answer to such questions is always "that can be done"
but are you enough of a con artist to pull that off?

9front