Tell me a good reason to NOT use Ubuntu

Tell me a good reason to NOT use Ubuntu.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_philosophy#Eric_Raymond.E2.80.99s_17_Unix_Rules
reddit.com/r/linux/comments/4v116g/can_we_stop_recommending_linux_mint/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

botnet

Use what you want. I've been using it for years

gnome

its not gentoo

its just debian but worse

Not FSF endorsed

Because Lubuntu, Xubuntu, and Kubuntu are better.

4k 27" screen on xorg
Wayland and it's horrible glitches

Just kubuntu

This. Or don't if you prefer the features of other distros. GNU/Linux mean you have the freedom to choose, distro wars are stupid.

Because Antergos is a better new person distro

Because I don't want Amazon embedded into my OS.

Gnome DE. XFeCEs are better

Yeah but what else am I supposed to attach my ego to and defend?

Why would you willingly want to be Canonical's bitch?

Because a lot of distros can do much better with the same amount of effort

Mint exists

Because Windows 10 let's you use bash

don't mind these wannabes lad. Ubuntu is the best distribution out there at the moment.

Sure there will always be this new gimmicky distribution for the ""cool-kids"". But, when it comes down to it, if you want a reliable OS with fantastic support and a large userbase, there is nowhere else to look.

>what is netinst

Ubuntu is FUCKING SHIT HAHAHAHAHAGA USE FUCKING DEBIAN BOIIIII HAHAGHAHAGA

Your accomplishments in life.

If you want to learn to use linux properly, but don't trust yourself enough to not take advantage of how user friendly Ubuntu is.

Locked down, bloated. You can't take out systemDicks for anything else on Ubuntu. Your system will end up with thousands upon thousands of packages if you want to be productive.

Are you telling me people argue over petty shit that they play no active part in because they're insecure about their perceived lack of ability/accomplishment? Whoa.

Yea?

Why should I care about any of that?

Just use Fedora...Red Hat is winning the war in case you guys haven't noticed.

A clean install has 1600 packages. If you uninstall all the applications listed in the software manager thing it goes down to 1500.

>apt
>PPA
>non-rolling-release
>outdated packages

install gentoo, it's called Sup Forums not /u/

fucking hell, take out the botnet and ubuntu would be the leanest distro ever.

Why is package number not completely arbitrary? Can't 500 packages be identical to 1500 packages if the organization is just changed?

It makes you look like a noob

Power users use Plasma 5.
Mainstream uses Gnome.
Low-end users use XFCE.
Cinnamon and stuff for old-school people.

Ubuntu has a good forum, and if you like Gnome. Ubuntu will be a safe bet.

So what's stopping a distro from reorganizing their packages to trick you into thinking there's less than there is?

If you want a relatively stable and OS X like Linux distro, Xubuntu is definitely a good choice. Especially when you just want to use your computer for working without creating an obscure, highly customized working environment.

the hard truth

This is pretty much it. Just install and get to work, jest werks.

Coz Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB is the best distro available.

Ubuntu is amazon botnet.

Just use linux mint.
- No botnet
- Cinnamon
- Mint tools

MODS

Oversimplified, botnet. if you want a noob dist, go for antergos. Btw install gentoo.

There is none. Get to downloading. Be sure to install Emacs, as well.

Take care,
Jeff

>Antergos
>Noob distro
Another thinks you get easy distro by just slapping graphical installer.

Ubuntu is a noob friendly version of Debian, but Debian has come a long way and is very noob friendly itself now. Just install the nonfree ISO and it's pretty much the same thing except it has a nicer logo.

systemd

cant pirate latest games

install gentoo

Debian exists.

Cuz you can use Fedora

This.

I'm not poor.

NixOS is much easier once you learn how to configure it as it's much harder to shoot yourself in the foot with it. Given a good configuration by someone else can be a good start. Plus there's the more up to date packages without the pain of working with arch, gentoo, or the like. One config for the entire system.

Ubuntu on the other hand can seem nice at first but the moment you need something up to date or want to change something it breaks. PPAs break the entire system at times and updates become a game of russian roulette.

Another reason for using Nix over most of the other suggestions would be the ease of upgrading and rolling back. An upgrade is as easy as switching the version number in your configuration and you can always rollback by either running the command or selecting an old configuration during boot and fixing the issue from there.

Ubuntu on rollbacks? Just search for it and see how much of a pain it can be.

Both have old packages with fedora being a bit better with it but unclear in the documentation on how to upgrade to unstable or even anything other than the current release.

Haven't heard much of it

GuixSD soon, GNU Hurd when

Manjaro is the new Ubuntu

>Measuring a distro on its "noob level"
Literally anyone who actually knows anything about Linux would never be concerned about such bs. Its just insecure tryhard faggots that feel the need to constantly remind everyone they are a super badass because the do stuff the hard way.

>NixOS is much easier
>once you learn a whole new syntax and language
Nice. Sound like it just werkz.

unity was better than gnome

This. I'm not going back to Ubuntu.

so that you can increase your reproductive chances

>take out the botnet
okay I know this meme originated from Canonical trying to be mini-Google but I'm convinced that Ubuntu has been as botnet-free as Debian for years now, can we please kill this maymay

Its not templeOS

>Uptime: 0m
>Memory: 2111/4007 MiB
Windows10/10

Its not windows

because xubuntu is better

>measuring
Nobody is measuring anything. Ubuntu was made to be a noob friendly version of Debian for the common people. What I said was Debian has come a long way since that and it's very noob friendly itself, making Ubuntu redundant.

Because Manjar.. shit
Because Manjaro Architect exists !

this
it's not a beginner friendly distro just because it's easy to install

It has a dumb name

It's the best OS in existence right now.
Second best is probably macOS

distros like arch and gentoo are useless if you have a real life, a real job, a family

Windows is full of ads and targeted at gaymers

>Tell me a good reason to NOT use Ubuntu.
it's too popular, there are probably viruses for it now and backdoors stealthily maintained by Russia

>Just install the nonfree ISO
link?

>systemd

1. youll have to reinstall it in a few months
2. the company that makes it is terrible
3. theres better choices no matter what your goals

I actually like systemd now, it gives a nice uniform way to restart pieces of shit that don't work properly.

systemd is not that bad
people keep talking shit because they want to believe in the unix philosophy
seriously Sup Forumstards why dont you tell me whats in your /bin or whats up with /home and /usr both existing?

This thread is epitome of inane nu/g/.

refute this

protip: you can't

Xubuntu exists.

Just Mint

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_philosophy#Eric_Raymond.E2.80.99s_17_Unix_Rules
>Rule of Modularity
>Developers should build a program out of simple parts connected by well defined interfaces, so problems are local, and parts of the program can be replaced in future versions to support new features. This rule aims to save time on debugging code that is complex, long, and unreadable.

That is one reason why many people don't like SystemD: It's trying to make the amount of programs smaller by trying to do everything, when people (should) like modularity - so the exact opposite.
Read: The more packages a distro has installed, the better it is.

Does somebody know of a distro that has more than 1600 packages per default? Mint?

muh games

No
Just No
reddit.com/r/linux/comments/4v116g/can_we_stop_recommending_linux_mint/

Cinnamon Mint.

just fucking use it

spend some time configuring debian, and you'll never go back to buntu

all debian would need to do is make a website that isn't crap, and add a few packages, and they'd have a 10 times better ubuntu, shame ...

If you're hosting a server, I find that Ubuntu Server LTS works well and mostly maintain itself. I assume Debian is about the same.

you are not a normie.

/thread

>Both have old packages
Debian has a testing repo...

debian with bloatware

Which is still months behind

Becuase ubuntuMATE is a thing

this . just use debian net iso