I'm not gonna pretend I've ever been particularly smart...

I'm not gonna pretend I've ever been particularly smart, but it's so fucking disheartening that every time I've tried to learn java I fail utterly. About to repeat this class for the third time in a row...I feel like I have a fucking learning disability and just wanna go back to doing SQL and database stuff. What do?

To clarify and in my defense: Ontario had a 5 week long teachers strike this semester and it hasn't been smooth getting back to class.

Poo in the loo. You'll find people who can write you fizz buzz and learn how to make money ez.

Poo I'm the loo faggot.

??? Is this an Indian thing?

>every time I've tried to learn java I fail utterly
Which is surprising, since programming is for low IQ subhumans

Java is a garbage programming and a terrible first language to learn. Try Python, much cleaner syntax which makes it less intimidating if your new. Codeacademy is good for learning syntax and then check out coursera for a free python course to actually learn how to program. Programming isnt about being smart as much as it's about how many hours you have under your belt

I feel like when I'm doing SQL, I know what tools I have available and it's a matter of organizing them properly to make the most efficient query.

With Java, I don't have any idea what my tools are or how to use them. Like the professor doesn't show us working code because he doesn't want us plaigarising it.

anything in particular you're having trouble with? java was fairly easy for me and i barely have the required math for it.

Oof. uOttawa here, luckily we dodged the strike. What school are you at?

Algonquin. I've looked at other computer programmer courses in the province and they focus on C++ and python, lucky fucks.

Why don't you learn up a little about the main classes that are available in java? For example, java.io deals with all input output. This should give you a good idea of where to go when a tool is needed

I'm just never confident with my understanding of functions and how methods interact across classes. Like it's super simple shit but the professor would rather talk about how trucks have steering wheels as a metaphor for inheritance.

Why do unis teach java as a first programming language? Maybe not all of them, but mine did and so did other anons in here.

They just tell you to ignore public static void main for the first half of the semester

One guy I know proposed the theory that Oracle pays school boards to keep java in programs.

SQL is a database query language, Java is an object oriented programming language, they're meant for completely different things. Honestly sounds like you don't understand basic java syntax because it looks so shitty, so just take the code academy course while your taking you're class, if ur not lazy you can do it in a week or so

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised

i did have to use outside resources to understand class/inheritance/ etc. mostly watched youtube videos and followed along. some of it was monkey see monkey do stuff, while other things clicked. practice and exposure i guess?

same, what year?

One thing that drove me up the wall was we had to make a bunch of classes based on provided UML diagrams.

It took me ages to figure out an underline meant something was static. I went to the professor asking where in the notes that was explained and he couldn't give me a straight answer. A lot of shit in java terminology is used outside of java, making it confusing to google.

You should first find what you like. Hint: the kind of program that you can code for days without getting bored. After you've found that, it'll be easy, just kode till you feel that you've learnt java.

>pays to keep java in programs

Not java but a engineering professor at my university gets paid to teach OnShape instead of solidworks.

Continue... What is better? Engineering? Math? I hear people here shit on CS sometimes, but I rarely hear what they consider better. Is there really anything in the world more important than programming?

That seems like a retarded question. Like you know we need doctors and farmers and teachers right?

Sure, but that doesn't seem Sup Forums-related at all, so I'm not sure why you'd think that's relevant, or that it's something I would assume.

I stopped trying to learn. Now I just copy and past shit.

> it's so fucking disheartening that every time I've tried to learn java I fail utterly
And how many weeks of 12h+ learning per day was each attempt?

If you fail with the easy shit in an overall somewhat difficult field, either try harder and longer, or give up.