Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.debian.org/wl
wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse
repo.voidlinux.eu/live/current/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

pic not related

yes user

Is it free as in freedom like Parabola?

It's free with the option for the non-free repo for real freedom.

I used arch years before it was systemd.

void feels like that, but with a more mature perspective. They make things that should be easy, easy. They don't break your shit. They have packages that I want that are relatively unmodified. They have cool stuff like libreSSL and musl builds.

Void is a worthwhile adventure, and very much worth using, if only a bit rough around the edges.

nope, doesn't use linux-libre kernel

Considering switching to void from manjaro.

Rough around the edges? How so?

already am senpai

>1366x7
What a madman

You LITERALLY do not need more than 7 vertical pixels.

>has to execute it manually
>windows and dock looks 90s
>pre-historic pterodactyl icons
>1366x7
Straight outta coma from 90s?
yeah I guess you are above all of us.

wut

>"./screenfetch"
>can't even just "screenfetch"
fageaux

>void
>best
Install Gentoo.

How do you like your setup? AMD CPU+GPU combo working out well for you under Arch? I've been thinking of going that route for a new build. Also, which driver are you using?

>>has to execute it manually
I made the same mistake as you, putting screenfetch in my shell config. I stopped recently when someone pointed out that it's just locking you out of your shells for several milliseconds unnecessarily. No harm in just running it when you actually want to display it.

AMD has been really good to open source development lately, so I pretty much only buy AMD at this point.
The drivers are great, I would go for it. (xf86-video-amdgpu, don't do the other one if you have a 400+ series)

I really want to go to Gentoo honestly, but I've been having issues getting btrfs encrypted boot to work, initramfs never loads, especially when using dracut. Works like a charm on Arch though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

install gentoo

But I am

Would use it if i could set up the fucking wifi

>but muh libre fork
Didn't know someone could be this gay

I struggled with wifi on it as well. I had a friend on IRC help me out, and I actually don't remember how it works. I recently left the house with my laptop running Void and couldn't figure out how to get on new wifi. My laptop just auto connects to my home wifi on start. If it doesn't connect for some reason on start, like if I wasn't at home, I don't know how to make it connect to the home wifi manually either. I've been meaning to figure it out.

Is void a good middle ground between arch and gentoo?
Also does void break on updates like arch does?

>left the house with my laptop running Void

the middle ground between arch and gentoo is gentoo with binaries or cloveros, void is just a broken meme

void is pretty much arch but ACTUALLY minimalist. Both are very small and lightweight, but fuck no, arch is not minimalist.

void is as easy as ubuntu to install and setup and pretty much most of it work out of the box, not to mention it already comes with a DE

so no, it has nothing to do with gentoo, but if you want a lightweight distro with

>void is just a broken meme
why do you think this?
I use it an it is completely fine. It's basically arch with different package manager and init system

I only got a problem which is the kernel provided in the live isos does not recognize my ssd. (Fixed a version later) and I don't manage to install in any other way. I'd really happy to use it. Sad it does not work.

Have fun waiting 10 hours to install libreoffice

>using the download icon in window controls
what the fuck man

just sum icon theme i think idk

>MATE logout doesn't actually logout, just gets frozen
>Worse package search system -- you have to be case sensitive
>Desired icon pack doesn't work properly
>LXDE's lock button doesn't work OOTB
I keep trying to use it except there's always these little things about it that prevent me from sticking to it. Maybe I'll try again sometime in the future, but for now I'll stick with Arch.

the state of hipster distros

use debian faggot. inb4 systemd. use gentoo faggot. inb4 too hard. use debian faggot

I used Debian for a few years in the past. I had a pretty miserable experience. Went to Arch after that and things were better. Decided to avoid systemd, so I went with Void. Things are pretty good now. The only actual issue is that I'm also trying to avoid networkmanager, pulseaudio, things of that nature. So now I've had to learn a lot of new programs like dhcpcd, wpa_supplicant, alsa. It's just been a bit tricky for that reason. Nothing is actually wrong with Void, it's just me.

You can use binaries on Gentoo. Not sure why everyone not only implies compiling is bad, but that it's the only option.

>>Worse package search system -- you have to be case sensitive
Your search doesn't have to be case-sensitive. Just your install. It's not the only distro like this anyway.
>desired icon pack doesn't work properly
I had this same issue, both on void and nixos. I still don't get what the problem is, and no one has managed to help me figure out what's going on.

>MATE/LXDE crap
meme

Try i3wm, it works very well for me.

Serious question: It has support for modern gpus? I want to the best distro on my desktop computer but idk if my RX 470 will work

Yeah. Hardware support is handled by the kernel, and Void is pretty /fresh/ when it comes to how up-to-date packages are.

>So now I've had to learn a lot of new programs like dhcpcd, wpa_supplicant, alsa. It's just been a bit tricky for that reason. Nothing is actually wrong with Void, it's just me.

>wifi drivers
wiki.debian.org/wl (boardcom)
wifi drivers may vary

>wpa_supplicant
wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse

I think debian automatically configures dhcp

>alsa
sudo apt-get install alsa-base alsa-utils

then reboot.

I haven't got any driver issues. I haven't got sound issues either. I have all I need installed, I just don't know how to, for example, connect to a new wifi network when I'm on the go. That's pretty much my only issue at all.

because cinnamon is my favourite DE and i want to keep up to date with it but void's package is almost a year old

Funny story, I'm running FreeBSD. Come at me with your triggered selves.

Why would that bother anyone, except maybe OpenBSD users?

But I am

No 32 bit ;_;

32bit YES
repo.voidlinux.eu/live/current/

>what is PATH

>repo.voidlinux.eu/live/current/
Well now I am out of excuses, lets install this biatch.

>I am out of excuses
Hold on hold on. Is this free as in leebra(tm)?

close but not quite. doesnt use linux-libre kernel and has some non-free intel firmware

i3wm is what I currently use. I just wanted to try something else cause I was getting bored of i3wm.

Oh, that's what you meant. Whoops.

Ah, alright then. I kinda get that. I sometimes see scrots of the more bloated DEs and feel some happy nostalgia come over me. It's like, I want to use that, but it's not good enough for me anymore.

Oh, I forgot to mention
>On my thinkpad, holding this button down while moving the nipple doesn't scroll like it does on Arch

Give me one reason I should switch from arch to void.

That's a pretty big deal. I'm on a ThinkPad as well, here's what I do:
# Thinkpad Trackpoint Fix
# paste this script in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/60-trackpoint-scroll.conf

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "Trackpoint Wheel Emulation"
MatchProduct "TrackPoint"
MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
Driver "evdev"
Option "EmulateWheel" "true"
Option "EmulateWheelButton" "2"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "false"
Option "XAxisMapping" "6 7"
Option "YAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

I've had it work on every GNU/Linux distro I've used. It only failed me on openbsd.

I had the same issue when I installed arch a long time ago.

Look it up there's an arch solution to that and I'm sure it'll work in void as well

>no systemd
>more minimal
>FASTER (related to different init system)
>libressl instead of openssl

Those are the main things. I came to it from Arch, so I say give it a shot. You'll probably feel fairly at home once you get used to it a bit.

Those all sound pretty good. I'll see about swtiching over my laptop.

Nice try Juan Romero Pardines

I'll save that in a text file. Thanks!

thx m8 it werked

Currently using Gentoo. How is Clover by comparison?

It's great, efficient and easy to install. Plus you can turn it into regular gentoo easily.

what even is the difference?

one is a meme os, the other is a meme version of a meme os

>want to install void
>doesn't support uefi
I recently installed fedora but as you can see I'm hopping
>don't know how to remove grub
Welp I guess I'm just ganna keep grub and use it to boot to windows since I deleted the fedora partition.
I feel dirty

I figured that shit out, and i dont understand what the fuck am i doing, but if it werks

I prefer gentoo