Im about ti pull the trigger on the 13 inch Macbook Pro 2017 base model 256gb ssd...

Im about ti pull the trigger on the 13 inch Macbook Pro 2017 base model 256gb ssd. I want honest thoughts from people who own one.

Other urls found in this thread:

upspin.io
wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-index.php
9to5mac.com/2016/11/03/2016-macbook-pro-thunderbolt-compatibility-issues
youtube.com/watch?v=NYVjIjBMx6o
howtogeek.com/198043/how-to-merge-folders-on-mac-os-x-without-losing-all-your-files-seriously
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>the keyboard is trash
>it throttles on anything more than trivial tasks
>MacOS has been getting mediocre updates for years
>SSD failure problems due to heat
And yet its still a better premium laptop than the alternatives.

Great laptop. Be sure to buy the touchbar model

Why should I get the touchbar version?

Because if you're gonna buy a facebook machine, at least go ham and get all the emoji features

Cause you want your fingers to get cut off when Tyrone steals your laptop

I will only browse pol, and maybe play some diablo2, thats all.

I live in eastern europe, Im cutting tyrones head and his friends.

It's expensive, but I love mine.
Very portable and 10 hours of battery life.
Everything is great and well built, except the keyboard who Is average and the fact that it only has usb-c might be a problem.

Which version do you have?

Retard alert

The base model.

tried any games like Oblivion? would it run?

I don't play any game, sorry.

it should run oblivion because it has the better igpu. just google "intel iris 640 oblivion" or see if it's beenbenchmarked on notebookcheck

My 15 inch MacBook Pro 2015 is better.

>intel iris 640 oblivion
I guess so, It would look godlike on that screen.

I have the 128gb base model, because I don't need that much internal storage, and $200 for 128gb is just plain retarded.
That being said:
1. I don't dislike how the keyboard feels, but the build quality's absolute shit. Taking out and cleaning underneath a key is very delicate and there aren't any proper keycap retailers out there that have them in stock. Bringing it to any certified apple retailer with a stuck key will either fetch you a new one (with the exact same problematic keyboard) or they'll need to replace the entire top case.
2. Heats up like a motherfucker doing anything more than watching a movie, so don't put it on your lap when playing games unless you're Quasimodo levels of ugly and don't need your precious seed anyway.
3. High Sierra's been having a bit of trouble with security updates and apart from apfs, it doesn't bring anything new to the table as far as I'm concerned.
4. Only 2 usb-c ports, so you'll either have to drop loads of money on separate apple dongles, or get one of the many hubs that sit flush with your macbook's body (around $70 for 2 extra usb A ports, SD and micro SD and an hdmi slot on top of the 2 usb-c)
Despite all of that, I still love the screen, 10+ hours of battery life and glorious trackpad. When I bought it, it was around the same price as the slightly-better-on-paper dell xps 13, and knowing what I do now, I'd have probably shelled out a bit more for a higher end xps, but I don't regret my purchase (yet).

How do I go about installing Diablo 2 on it or Oblivion?

If that's really all you care about, go buy a shit-tier $700 "gaming" laptop.
I very rarely play any games, and I've played neither of those on my mbp, so I couldn't tell you.
This new "google" thing might be of help to you

Thats not all I care about, I want this specific laptop only, also from time to time I would like to play a 20 year old game like quake 1 or something senpai.

If you feel like playing just do it on a desktop desu.

One more thing, how do you make sure you dont fuck the battery if you plan to keep it plugged, on my other laptops I could just take the battery out obviously.

You don't keep it plugged in kouhai.

>kouhai
hmmm ok senpai... what happens if you do?

>buying a laptop to keep it plugged in
Just buy a fucking desktop or 17" laptop that has a removable battery. Ultrabooks aren't made for this purpose

You explode, eggplant.

yea, I do have a gaming pc. But I fell in love with this machine... Im sure that when I finally have it in my hands Im gonna suicide becasue I fell for the meme

You don't, unless you need a dedicated gpu/15" screen and some better specs. 13 inch mbp is probably one of the best ultrabooks. I like the Huawei matebook x better though

it's nice. get the 500GB model if you can though. I have 500GB and I wish I had 1TB. Or set up some kind of remote filesystem, I like upspin.io right now.

Keyboard is nice, but shit gets under the keys constantly. If you can't blow it out, you can pop off the keys with a credit card (some guy on youtube cracked his spacebar trying that though)

Have one, super responsive and fast. Wish i had 4 usb c ports but oh well. It's just for school and a4chan machine

nice to hear this, ahve you installed win10?

You can install Windows using Bootcamp Assistant. Then you can play the game any time you want because macOS saves what windows and apps were open.

I've heard win has native drivers for this.

Mine doesn't get anywhere near 10 hours, more like 5-7. Web Browsing and Photo editing mostly.

That said, install Oblivion on Wine and you can get decent play times on a single charge.

Keeping it plugged in is a non issue on Macs.

No. Bootcamp Assistant provides all the drivers for your MacBook’s hardware to be fully operational under Windows.

Solid adivce here, Thanks.
All reviews I watched stated that win10 has native drivers for this, idk now... Im not familiar with mac ecosystem, can you not just install windows?

This is the Wine Wrapper I use btw.
Supports OS X's Intel Power Saving so it doesn't kill your battery life when playing games.

Forgot link.
wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-index.php

Do these do hardware h.265? If not I'd wait for that.

Yes they do. Only on the 2017 models though.

You can install Windows on it. If you want to keep macOS and/or want to have a decent time with your hardware working correctly. Which means decent touchpad support, which Windows does not have. It’ll also make sure you can use the brightness/keyboard brightness/median buttons at the top of the keyboard. Then I would recommend you use Bootcamp Assistant to install a Windows partition you can dual boot from. During the Bootcamp Assistant setup process, it’ll download the correct drivers you will need for Windows 10. Sure some of your hardware will have native drivers, but there’s a bunch of things that would either not work, or it wouldn’t work as good as if you were running macOS. Apple has been kind enough to make your Windows experience almost the same as your macOS environment.

Trackpad is garbage on Windows, it emulates a mouse rather than using Windows' dedicated touchpad features. Literally worse than pretty much all Windows ultrabooks released in the past 3 years.
You battery life will tank as well, most people get 4-5 hours at most on Windows doing basically nothing.

At a very similar price, 2017 Macbook Pro 13 or 2015 Macbook Pro 15? I like the larger screen on the 15", but it's not as bright or color-accurate. I'm also worried that Apple's going to stop updating the 2015 15" years before the 2017 models.

>i’d rather have no right clicking, no scrolling, no click and drag on my touchpad than installing a driver

That's with the driver.

I love it. Great trackpad, the same feedback anywhere you click.

Super fast ssd. Doesn't overheat though it gets hotter than I would prefer.

Great display

It's got MacOS obviously which you need for for iOS dev (don't even consider making a hackintosh on a laptop, it can be extremely shit)

Great battery

I got mine second hand though, if you can get a good deal on a laptop less than a year old for much less then you can save hundreds or get a higher spec version for the same price

Agree the trackpad is pretty shit in Windows, but I've never used a Windows computer that didn't have a shitty trackpad so you're not really losing anything. No reason to use Windows except for games, and even then there are a surprisingly number of games for OSX these days.

What case do you use, I want something like a Pelikan case, but idk where to find it.

I hope you aren't expecting to play any diablo 2 on that without having it catch fire

Huawei Matebook X running OpenBSD. The only way to go (aside from a ThinkPad)

I am on my second Macbook. the first one was the rfirst retina model from mid 2012, never had a problem with it though. However since my working style has changed, I wanted a 13' model. I purchased one back in 2016 and I am more than satisfied with it. I am a backend dev and I can do almost everything on this machines.
> Goldlike trackpads
> Nice screen
> Fast, more stable than other ultrabooks in that price range
> custom touch-bar icons (if you are willing to invest time in it)
> diablo and oblivion can be handled on macos without any problem. I played overwatch on it about 6 moths ago (bootcamp)
> fulldisk encryption with filevault
> if you customize it to a certain degree it bekommst a fucking productive tool
> High Sierra is shit due to security issues
> long battery life
> usb-c port wear out
> keyboard is shit. I like the thinkpad/pre 2016 macbook ones more.
> portable and light

I am using the 1TB end 2016 model with touchbar. If you are more serious in doing mid-tier gaming on a mac you may want to consider the cheapest 15' model.

Seriously, I hope you are joking... its Diablo 2 after all

touchbar fag here
its a meme, go without

if you want the base model, just compare the specs to the touchbar one

Great news, Diablo 2 should look godlike on that screen.

Good-old-F-keys model here. Bigger trackpad means stretching your pinky longer if you want to right-click. Annoying at first. It gets very warm if it has to compile shit for more than 3 minutes. High Sierra is a big piece of crap. Not only for security. Have you tried to drag and drop an image on the desktop, or empty your trashcan? The icons take forever to appear/change graphics...

He's not kidding.

if by pull the trigger you mean shoot that piece of shit with a gun, then yes

topkek

Is USB-C ports wearing out common?

USB-A seem to never wear out.

Okay, I am not a shill and I have the 256gb touch bar model. Tbh, get the touch bar model because it is a better investment. the touch bar is gimmicky but its not bad and the finger print sensor is actually very convenient. you get the touch bar model to get the 4 usb c ports. 2 ports is not enough 2-3 years down the line.

It's a great machine. Used windows all my life and there are some things I like about it. track pad is good but Im still a mouse guy. typing is great on this. I also have mechanical keyboard and I find that the keyboard on the mpb is nice to type on. There is actually nothing major I dislike about it. I mean price obviously but there are two things that kinda bother me. It gets dirty really quickly. I used it like every day for 8+ hours and (great battery life btw) and my hand sweat and shit gets all over the bottom part of the laptop. So get some good quality wipes to keep that shit clean. Get a sleeve for it so you dont scratch the laptop in anyway. In terms of the OS, im super triggered that it does not have a volume mixer. I missed window's split screen but you get an app called magnet for like 0.99 and its the same.

tl;dr dont get the mbp non touchbar unless you are SURE you will not need more than 4 ports in the future.

Touchbar model is horrifically overpriced, and destined to be a paper-weight with the soldered-on SSD (protip: SSDs do commonly fail after a couple years).

With the money you save getting the non-touchbar you can invest into wireless peripherals.

You should buy a gun, put it against your temple, and pull the trigger on that instead you massive fucking faggot.

it has two fans while the other version only comes with one

>it bekommst a fucking productive tool
fellow germanic nigger wtf are you doing? never cross the streams

Jesus that touchpad looks ridiculous? Is this real life?

The keyboard is *different*. Some people like it, some people hate it. Tl;dr: very, very little key travel.

You can't clean the keyboard. Trying to pop the keys off will ensure that it never works again. Leave it to the pros, don't eat over it. (This doesn't bug me much because it's being used as a desktop replacement and will always be on an external keyboard)

The touchpad is probably the best one you can get on any computer in $currentyear. Sup Forums likes to meme over some of the last gen ones not working right around the top - that's not an issue here.

No problems with throttling or overheating

USB-C+Thunderbolt. Get a port expander if you really need old USB.

2006-2015
>trackpad impossible to click near upper edge
>loose near bottom edge
>overall flimsy diving board piece of shit
>even applel admitted it's shit and went back to non-click touchpads
>still has no real buttons
>relies on pressure sensitive gimmick bullshit
>if you press too lightly or too hard it does something completely different than what you intended
>shit tier 1mm travel chiclet kb
>OSX is a steaming pile of shit with horrendous battery management
>applel's solution is to cram in a massive heavy 95WHr battery to make up for it
>even XXXTREME GAMER cancer like razer blade with 4X the CPU/GPU power and 70WHr battery matches it in battery life in same tasks
>gets BTFO by 55WHr Yoga 2 in battery life in same tasks
>the battery takes up the space where a cooling system would've been in a laptop not designed by the world's thinnest and lightest gay hipsters
>overheats constantly from abysmal crippled cooling system
>throttles to 800mhz due to chronic overheating problems
>retina meme for "pros" have have gloss mirror coating impossible to use with overhead lighting
>blurry as shit retina meme scaling
>shitbook air even worse with glossy 1366x768 TN eye cancer
>systemic battery explosion problems for over a decade

>2016+
>same problems as above plus:
9to5mac.com/2016/11/03/2016-macbook-pro-thunderbolt-compatibility-issues
youtube.com/watch?v=NYVjIjBMx6o
>can't use any existing TB3 devices
>can't use USB and wifi at the same time
>ultra shit tier zero travel kb
>keyboard louder than WWII cricket
>memetouch emojibar
>no USB-A
>no escape
>soldered ram
>soldered SSD
>tamper tape on battery screws
>applel falls for their own thin meme and uses 54WH battery
>2 hour battery life

howtogeek.com/198043/how-to-merge-folders-on-mac-os-x-without-losing-all-your-files-seriously
>it's 2017 and moving folders around in finder will STILL cause massive data loss

>macshit is good
Can we finally put an end to this meme?

>I want honest thoughts from people who own one.

Loving it, hooking up with qt twinks at Starbucks was never so easy. It just works.
Thanks, apple.

I've had the touchbar and non-touchbar model. Get the non-touch. Touchbar is stupid and a waste of money. If I could trade this one back in still I would.

>owning macshit
lmao

My employer purchases them. Shoutout to Americans for paying their taxes and funding this purchase.

I have a 2017 non touch 256gb with 16gb RAM.
Honestly I like it and how it works seamlessly with my iphone and apple watch, but sometimes I miss the slighty shitty feeling of Wangblows and Andropoor. I guess I'm weird

buy it you richfag cunt

/thread

Bruder werden die Teile warm?

>Sup Forums Personal Macshit Consumer Review Board

Fuck off back to